PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Will this work? Audio setup (GH2 + LS-10 + Studio 1 Productions XLR-BP)

wisted
05-08-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm trying to record and monitor audio into the camera and onto the LS-10 simultaneously using the Studio 1 Productions XLR-BP, which is an XLR adapter.

Here's the issue:

I can record fine into the LS-10 on its own, monitoring the audio on my headphones with the LS-10's headphone jack.
I can record fine into the GH2 directly, without monitoring the audio on headphones (no headphone jack).

I want to be able to monitor audio as it's being recorded into the camera, but I'm not aware of any way to do this.

Here's my question:

If I connect the XLR-BP to the LS-10, can I use the LS-10's line out and connect that to the GH2's mic input using a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter? If so, can I then use the LS-10's headphone jack to keep track of this audio feed?

I currently only have a stereo 3.5 cable so I would presumably need a 2.5 cable, correct? Assuming I had this cable would it work? Or is this a bit too complicated of a wiring mess to be worth the trouble? What are some ways some of you have been able to monitor GH2 audio with headphones without using Dual Eyes and syncing later?

Ean
05-09-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm trying to record and monitor audio into the camera and onto the LS-10 simultaneously using the Studio 1 Productions XLR-BP, which is an XLR adapter.

Here's the issue:

I can record fine into the LS-10 on its own, monitoring the audio on my headphones with the LS-10's headphone jack.
I can record fine into the GH2 directly, without monitoring the audio on headphones (no headphone jack).

I want to be able to monitor audio as it's being recorded into the camera, but I'm not aware of any way to do this.

Here's my question:

If I connect the XLR-BP to the LS-10, can I use the LS-10's line out and connect that to the GH2's mic input using a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter? If so, can I then use the LS-10's headphone jack to keep track of this audio feed?

I currently only have a stereo 3.5 cable so I would presumably need a 2.5 cable, correct? Assuming I had this cable would it work? Or is this a bit too complicated of a wiring mess to be worth the trouble? What are some ways some of you have been able to monitor GH2 audio with headphones without using Dual Eyes and syncing later?

If I understand you correctly, a cable like this is what you need: http://www.sescom.com/product.asp?item=LN2MIC-ZMGH-MON

wisted
05-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into this. I'm basically trying to record into both the LS-10 and GH2 directly and simultaneously while also having a headphone monitor. Is this what the cable does?

Sam Mallery
05-10-2012, 11:51 AM
The Sescom cable that Ean linked is the one you need. That cable has a connector that you connect to the headphone output on the LS-10, splitting off from that end of the cable is a female headphone output jack (this is where you connect your headphones). the other end of the Sescom cable has a 2.5mm input for the mic jack on the camera. There is also a attenuator in the cable that lowers the line-level signal coming out of the LS-10's headphone jack down to mic-level so that the GH2 can record the signal properly.

wisted
05-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Why would the GH2's 2.5 mic input connect to the LS-10's 3.5 headphone jack and not the line-in? Am I missing something?

You're saying the GH2 can record the stereo signal coming from the LS-10s headphone jack output, while letting me jack into the female monitor myself?

This almost sounds too good to be true but I'm excited to try this if it does indeed work. This means I could then use my XLR-BP with the LS-10, correct?