PDA

View Full Version : GH1 Should i sell my gh1 for a gh2?

taras4444
05-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi all, just a quick questions. I got a second hand lumix gh1 for cheap a month or so ago. Haven't had much to play with it but it seems pretty good and everything. But I'm now about to get serious into using it as a bcam alongside my af100, and was thinking about getting the hack. However, I recently discovered the gh2 is also hackable, and it appears this is the camera of choice for the majority of users (dont know many people using the gh1 personally)So my question was, in my position, is it worth selling the gh1 and getting the gh2 and hacking it? Is there much difference in regards to filming quality etc? I know the gh2 probably will be better for pictures at least (due to the what you see is what you get style of it), so thats a plus... any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

brunerww
05-07-2012, 12:49 PM
taras - I have both cameras, and the upgrade to the GH2 is definitely worth it for:

- HDMI monitoring in record mode
- better EVF
- Better low light performance
- Extended Tele Converter mode
- 1080/30p 24mbps high bitrate mode (unhacked)

Cheers,

Bill

John Caballero
05-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Yes.

MR Fanny
05-08-2012, 12:56 AM
double yes

CRFilms
05-08-2012, 03:31 AM
It depends on your cash situation. If you can afford it why not both? Have the AF100, a GH2 and a GH1. Keep the GH1 as a backup B-cam.

I bought my two GH1s for $650 combined when the closeout deals happened last year and I got my GH2 for $699. I'm not going to buy another GH2 until final closeouts happen when the GH3 comes out and I feel prices MIGHT hit low $500 for bodies then.

nathankw
05-08-2012, 03:37 AM
I have both cameras and I don't think its quite a simple as that.
In good light the image quality you'll get from both (hacked) is very similar.

Things like HDMI monitoring are vital for some - unimportant to others.

The biggie is low light performance - if you need that they definitely upgrade.

Otherwise its down to money. How much is it going to cost to upgrade? How much money do you have?

In short - is the GH2 a better camera?
yes.

Is it 350 (or local equivalent) better? Depends on your budget and requirement.
For some people it won't be.

taras4444
05-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Cheers for the posts guys. I guess I have some budget decisions to make. In regards to still picture taking, is there much difference? I know with my gh1 when i take a picture it isnt exactly how it looks on the lcd/viewfinder. (Though with some edits i can get the display looking pretty close to the actual image when i take it). Does the gh2 improve on this? For example, if i take a shot that looks underexposed on the display will it come up exactly how i saw it, underexposed? Thanks

leopard
06-04-2012, 03:49 PM
If you want to sell it, I'm interested.
How much would you ask?

DOF
06-08-2012, 10:32 PM
While we're on the subject of HDMI monitoring.. I can buy a Smallhd DP6 and it would work with a GH2?

David W. Jones
06-09-2012, 05:32 AM
I have a hacked GH1 that still earns income along side an AF100.

Lpowell
06-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Athough the GH2 has many more video mode options than the GH1, there are two video formats that only the hacked GH1 can produce:

* MJPEG video in 4:2:2 color depth for green-screen work, with adjustable frame sizes up to 1536x768

* AVCHD 720p video at a true 29.97p or 25p frame rate. See my Fast Action 3-Frame GOP Patch (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?222791-50Mbps-AVCHD-Fast-Action-3-Frame-GOP-Patch)

ChipThome
06-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Taras.... IMO you already own the decision maker, your AF100.

Go investigate the hacks for the GH1, hack it to something reasonable and use it against your AF 100 in what would be a typical shooting scenario for you. If you can intermix footage and have it look right, there's your answer. If it doesn't look the best, try another hack, settings on the GH1 or the AF 100. If you still can't get footage close enough, then try the GH2.

I am anticipating some major improvements in the GH3 and expect it out, sparingly, before the first of the year. I have had the GH2 at three different times since it was released, and FOR MY USE, I didn't see enough reason FOR ME to keep it. YMMV. I am, though, expecting the GH3 to be so far ahead of my GH1 that upgrade will bring me significant benefit.