PDA

View Full Version : C300 - Eastern State Penitentiary - Color Grade

Mickey G
04-23-2012, 01:05 AM
http://vimeo.com/40845563

Thanks to Kevin Ritchie for providing me with a few original files from his C300 to play around with. This is some beautiful material and it was a pleasure to work with his work.

Link to Kevin’s original video: vimeo.com/36230447 (http://vimeo.com/36230447)

My goal with this color-grade was to just really push the codec, actually I was trying to break it and it just wouldn’t budge. I felt like I was working with RED RAW files.
Very impressive considering this is a 1080p 50mbps 8-bit 4:2:2 Mpeg-2 codec. Obviously very robust but there is more than meets the eye with what Canon is doing here with this camera.

Again I wasn’t going for a natural look here, just tried to push the codec. Oh and I added in my own sound mix as well, just for fun.

Anyway as for the video itself, here is the description from Kevin Ritchie along with a link to the ungraded version:

"I spent about 2 hours wandering around Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia, PA with my Canon C300. I wasn't looking to test anything in particular, more just become familiar with the camera. I shot Canon Log the entire shoot and varied my ISO from 850 to 6400.

To see an upgraded version with ISO data please watch:

vimeo.com/36233022 (http://vimeo.com/36233022)

I was very impressed with the form factor of the camera. The EVF is very sharp and easy to focus. The LCD is bright and usable in daylight. As far as I can tell there is no moire. The camera has an extremely clean image to 2500, with acceptable noise to 6400.

The following gear was used:
Canon EOS C300 EF
Canon 28mm 1.8
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 100mm L Macro
Canon 70-200mm L
Kessler Philip Bloom Pocket Dolly
Manfrotto 504 HD tripod

"Cold Summer Landscape" by Blear Moon (blearmoon.com/)

Thanks for your help:
Amy Reese
Kira MacAlpine

NOTE: I pulled out the song in my version but I suggest checking out the song as its a really beautiful piece.

BTW I did the grade in FCPX and the sound mix in Soundtrack Pro

ChadN
04-23-2012, 04:11 AM
Well, i loved the footage and it's pretty impressive how far you could push things in post.

I become more and more impressed with the C300. Wish i could afford it, hoping for a C100 announcement before long.

Mickey G
04-23-2012, 04:36 AM
Yea Chad I would love a C100 announcement as the C300 and 1DC are just out of my range.
But Canon is really doing some magic here with these images, the numbers just don’t add up to what the camera produces.

What I love about working with RED files is that I can just about touch my nose to my display and it looks like a high res still photo and now I’m getting similar results with 1080p 8-bit C300 files.

If Canon can keep some of that same Mojo in at least a sub $8k “C100” package then they’d really make a killing.

alpi69
04-23-2012, 09:52 AM
After working 6 weeks with the C300 I can clearly confirm that the numbers don´t add up.
People diss the cam for being 8-bit. But it is a 4:2:2-50Mbps-8-bit-codec. Which means there is "more 8-bit" recorded than in a 4:2:0 35mbps codec if that makes sense.
I have shot ISO6400 in critical lighting situations and still i can push the codec up and down at will. Red RAW is maybe a bit much to say, but it is the best codec for an immediate workflow that I have seen so far.