PDA

View Full Version : Production Schedule????

gstarza
06-15-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm working on my first documentary. It will be a 30 minute piece and needs to be done by January 2006. I know this is a general question, but when would it be ideal to have the project finished? It's a very simple project. Basic title design will be as complex as it gets. Is there a rule of thumb for time for post production i.e. a 20 minute pieces requires 2 months, 30 minute 3 months...etc.

thx,
jerry

Walter_Graff
06-15-2005, 04:37 PM
As soon as possible. Do it now if you can because you'll have more time to finesse it and make it perfect before delivery. Editing wise figure 10 hours per five minutes of video to 10 hours per one minute of finished video. Sooner is always better so get cracking.

raciere
06-23-2005, 04:14 PM
i just finished a 30minute documentary and spent a total of 8 15hr days in post production. that included logging, notetaking, editing, scanning/importing still photos, and then mastering visuals/audio. i shot the piece over the course of two months, casually interviewing/shooting... approx 1-2 shoots a week... each shoot 1-2hrs long so ended up w/ approx 13 hours of footage.

but i'll tell you, i went into this project with no outline, no script, just a very vague idea and a list of questions. i could of cut a great deal of time off of post-production if i would of put some ideas down on paper first. i'm slowly learning the IMMENSE value of good solid pre-production.

AlexGg
06-24-2005, 05:26 AM
Yes, it's true. The best way is: try to finish all shots asap, b/c you'll have some extra time to re-shoot some additional stuff during a montage/editing stage.