PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Tech question for HDMI experts

robbie75vr
04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Hi guys,

I have a question for you about HDMI video streaming, I hope you can help me.

I have a SmallHD DP6 monitor, it has hdmi, component and composite video input, and I want to use it to see the live video feed from a wireless video receiver connected to the monitor with a composite video cable. The camera (GH2) is far away with a video transmitter.

The video transmitter only has a composite input and the GH2 streams the video while recording only from the HDMI port, so I bought an HDMI-to-Composite converter to make the connection and send the video in the air.

The problem is that the GH2 when connected to this HDMI-to-Composite converter only streams the video signal in playback mode, not when in live view or when recording a video as it normally does if connected via HDMI to the external monitor.

wth... !

Do you guys know why and have a solution ?

Thanks a lot !!

Fohdeesha
04-19-2012, 05:07 PM
It's because the gh2's hdmi out is hilarious. It won't lock on and feed a signal to something using a simple hdmi to dvi connector, either. I've fed tens and tens of hdmi devices to a tvlogic monitor's dvi input with a hdmi to dvi connector, the gh2 is the only thing I've owned which won't do it. There's something in the way it detects the displays hdmi version and handshakes that basically makes it useless. Also tried to connect it to a buddies brand new projector (via straight hdmi) the other night, wouldn't lock on. I've read reports of it not locking on and sending a signal to a blackmagic hdmi to sdi converter, either.

I posted a couple rants here about how frustrated I am with the quality and usability of the gh'2 hdmi output here - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/56317#Comment_56317

robbie75vr
04-19-2012, 05:14 PM
mmmmm.. I also wrote an email to SmallHD asking for help, let's see if they can help in some way, in case I'll keep the thread updated. Thanks Fohdeesha

robbie75vr
05-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Partial solution found.

I can see the signal from my HDMI>Composite converter only if the GH2 is in NTSC mode, any video mode is fine, in PAL no signal at all. Camera bug ?