PDA

View Full Version : Advice on C300 vs FS100 Test

KV Films
04-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Hi, I Will be doing some FS100 vs C300 Test this afternoon (today only) so I really need some advice in which Custom Profile used? to make justice to booths cameras.
I will be doing, Resolution, Low Lights, Moire and Rolling Shutter Tests. I will be using the same Lens in boths cameras. I have the choice to used canon L or Nikon (most of them with aperture ring). But I think I will go with nikons. I'm open to advice and suggestions.
Thanks

*******EDIT********

Sample:

https://vimeo.com/39832665

Erik Naso
04-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Why are you comparing these two cameras? They are in two very different classes. Not trying to be a jerk about it just don’t understand what the goal is.

KV Films
04-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Hi, Have you tried both? The Price point probably is diferent. but I own the FS100 and have the chance to rent the C300 for some jobs, I booked this afternoon to check if it makes sense to rent the C300 in the future. I think they are quite similar in so many points, I'm probably wrong let's find out :thumbsup:. I haven't tried yet the C300 so I don't have a comparison point (I probably will be helped by a friend DP that have been using the c300 for some weeks now)

Why are you comparing these two cameras? They are in two very different classes. Not trying to be a jerk about it just don’t understand what the goal is.

cowpunk52
04-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Hi, Have you tried both? The Price point probably is diferent. but I own the FS100 and have the chance to rent the C300 for some jobs, I booked this afternoon to check if it makes sense to rent the C300 in the future. I think they are quite similar in so many points, I'm probably wrong let's find out :thumbsup:. I haven't tried yet the C300 so I don't have a comparison point (I probably will be helped by a friend DP that have been using the c300 for some weeks now)

I've used them both. The C300 excels against the FS100 in every category - as it should given the cost difference. It has far better DR, better resolution, better lowlight handling, less moire, snappier rolling shutter, and the highlights are nicer. Not to mention a far far nicer in-camera codec. Good luck with your tests, i would probably use the cinema preset on the C300 (c-log), since that's one of the features anyone would likely rent the camera for.

cowpunk52
04-04-2012, 08:24 AM
I would just add, though - make sure you understand how to expose and work with a logarithmic gamma. It's not the same as working with standard gammas like the fs100 uses

KV Films
04-04-2012, 08:25 AM
thanks, So it makes sense to Shoot with the C-log in c300 and them used the LUT CPF-LOG workflow in FS100

I've used them both. The C300 excels against the FS100 in every category - as it should given the cost difference. It has far better DR, better resolution, better lowlight handling, less moire, snappier rolling shutter, and the highlights are nicer. Not to mention a far far nicer in-camera codec. Good luck with your tests, i would probably use the cinema preset on the C300 (c-log), since that's one of the features anyone would likely rent the camera for.

cowpunk52
04-04-2012, 09:14 PM
thanks, So it makes sense to Shoot with the C-log in c300 and them used the LUT CPF-LOG workflow in FS100

Yeah, if that's the most likely scenario for which you would use either camera, I'd say that will give you a decent idea of their capabilities for your shooting requirements.

DavidBeier
04-05-2012, 02:42 AM
C300 producers a better image. FS100 is better bang for your buck (the C300 is closer to the F3 in price range and capabilities).

It really depends on how much you want the added gains of the C300. If I were buying, I would lean towards the FS100 because it's 1/3 the price and delivers and image that is still pretty good. If I were renting, I'd probably be willing to shell out the extra $100 or $150 for a C300 given that camera's strengths.

Postmaster
04-05-2012, 05:21 AM
Shoot a Dollar note - poor mans resolution chart.

Frank

KV Films
04-05-2012, 09:43 AM
From Yesterday:

https://vimeo.com/39832665

i somebody is interested I can put on rapidshare the 460MB file

Postmaster
04-05-2012, 10:39 AM
The second one is the FS100

alpi69
04-05-2012, 11:09 AM
I agree the First one should be the C300. Lot more definition especially in his jacket; overall second one looks softer, but also with a smaller DOF (same lens?). In the grade they are flip-flopped I believe. The C300 last.

Rick Burnett
04-05-2012, 11:56 AM
1080p60 is not where the C300 excels above the FS100 :) Outside of that though, I agree.

DavidBeier
04-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Let me amend my statement as it looks like the price gap for rentals from EVS is close to $200. On the other hand, if you already have some nice lenses with a Canon mount, this may make them close to even again. In my case, I don't have any Sony capable lenses so my personal set of primes would lessen the gap.

alpi69
04-06-2012, 01:36 AM
If you have Canon glass there is no doubt which cam wins for you. The Fs100 has nothing the C300 doesn't have unless you are invested in Sony zoomlenses.

evilthought
04-06-2012, 01:38 PM
If you have Canon glass there is no doubt which cam wins for you. The Fs100 has nothing the C300 doesn't have unless you are invested in Sony zoomlenses.

The Canon glass would work identical on both cameras with metabones EOS to Nex adapter that has electronic contacts.

cowpunk52
04-06-2012, 02:35 PM
The Canon glass would work identical on both cameras with metabones EOS to Nex adapter that has electronic contacts.

Well, not totally identical - you won't get peripheral illumination correction (PIC), 1/8 stop aperture increments, & wireless control of focus & iris with the Metabones adapter on the Sony, of course.

cowpunk52
04-06-2012, 02:37 PM
1080p60 is not where the C300 excels above the FS100 :)

Touche, Rick, touche

KV Films
04-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Well, not totally identical - you won't get peripheral illumination correction (PIC), 1/8 stop aperture increments, & wireless control of focus & iris with the Metabones adapter on the Sony, of course.

"Wireless control of focus & iris..." sound so cool in theory but in practice really useless ;). one of the think I really like about the C300 is the electronic drive ND filters, every time I pushed the ND button the feeling was so smooth and cool. I think in the new FS700 the ND filter is mechanical not the same feeling.

cowpunk52
04-06-2012, 06:34 PM
"Wireless control of focus & iris..." sound so cool in theory but in practice really useless ;)

Maybe that's true for you and your style of shooting, but speak for yourself. I've been known to shoot in situations where the camera needs to be mounted somewhere that isn't easily accessible during shooting, and there are more than a few times where this functionality would have come in quite handy. Namely, when I've got the camera mounted on a moving vehicle or in a tight corner with no room for an operator. The nice thing is that the camera body lends itself very well to being used in very tight places, like a dslr, so having remote control of all body and lens functions really opens up shooting possibilities. Think creatively, and i'm certain you would find some interesting uses for it's remote capabilities.

KV Films
04-07-2012, 03:51 AM
I think you are right probably not useful for me but paramount for other people, I pretty sure I read the Sony Lanc Remote RM-1000BP works really nice with the FS100 (not sure if the others cheaper Lancs will work) OK is not wireless but will help in 90% of the situation that you mention.

Maybe that's true for you and your style of shooting, but speak for yourself. I've been known to shoot in situations where the camera needs to be mounted somewhere that isn't easily accessible during shooting, and there are more than a few times where this functionality would have come in quite handy. Namely, when I've got the camera mounted on a moving vehicle or in a tight corner with no room for an operator. The nice thing is that the camera body lends itself very well to being used in very tight places, like a dslr, so having remote control of all body and lens functions really opens up shooting possibilities. Think creatively, and i'm certain you would find some interesting uses for it's remote capabilities.

evilthought
04-11-2012, 06:58 PM

Why won't the wireless control of iris work with metabones adapter?