PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Would a camcorder have been a better choice than a GH2 in this situation?

DanDU
04-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I was watching this video shot with a GH2 of an ice skater and was wondering if the Panasonic sd90 camcorder would have been a better choice in this application:

https://vimeo.com/30313980

I am considering the purchase of an inexpensive camcorder (the sd90) to compliment my incoming GH2. So would an SD90 have been a better choice in this situation? I imagine it would have had better image stabilisation and greater depth of field. Also I am curious if camcorders have exposure "jumps" when the aperture changes.

And what is the flickering issue with the video screen at 4:10 - 4:15? I've seen it before in a 5D3 - GH2 comparison video and the 5D3 doesn't seem to have this problem.

I've seen the sd90's for sale used on eBay for around $250 and am thinking an SD90 might make a nice secondary cam especially if in some instances (like filming the skater) it can produce better video than the GH2.

(Note: I am not criticizing the videographer of this video, I doubt I would have done any better with a GH2)

flinty
04-04-2012, 08:34 AM
You dont get flicker if the aperture and shutter are manualy set,i dont anyway.

j1clark@ucsd.edu
04-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I was watching this video shot with a GH2 of an ice skater and was wondering if the Panasonic sd90 camcorder would have been a better choice in this application:

https://vimeo.com/30313980

I am considering the purchase of an inexpensive camcorder (the sd90) to compliment my incoming GH2. So would an SD90 have been a better choice in this situation? I imagine it would have had better image stabilisation and greater depth of field. Also I am curious if camcorders have exposure "jumps" when the aperture changes.

And what is the flickering issue with the video screen at 4:10 - 4:15? I've seen it before in a 5D3 - GH2 comparison video and the 5D3 doesn't seem to have this problem.

I've seen the sd90's for sale used on eBay for around $250 and am thinking an SD90 might make a nice secondary cam especially if in some instances (like filming the skater) it can produce better video than the GH2.

(Note: I am not criticizing the videographer of this video, I doubt I would have done any better with a GH2)

My guess is that the jumps in brightness are due to using setting the exposure mode to 'auto'. So, when the girl goes to the 'darker' parts of the rink, the aperture opens, and brightens the area, then when she comes out to a more lit area, the aperture stops down. In addition, if the photographer takes in more 'ice', which is brighter than the background... the aperture stops down, and cause the darker areas to get darker...

For something like this, probably setting a fixed Fstop, and ISO, would clear that up. Setting the Fstop such that entire rink is in 'focus', that is everything beyond the hyperfocal distance is 'sharp' would eliminate the need for adjusting focus for most of the girl's exercise.

These sorts of events really need two or three cameras, each set up for wide, medium, and close shots. Only the close shot would need constant focusing. The others could be set up for less adjustment.

Jester2138
04-04-2012, 12:29 PM
... and was wondering if the Panasonic sd90 camcorder would have been a better choice in this application:

Assuming the shooter is fully acquainted with both cameras, I don't think so. The GH2 is more expensive and more complicated but has higher image quality to go with it, especially with a hack. By the way, this is a perfect example of a scene that would benefit from a hack. For focus you could either have a helper adjust for you or simply stop down as much as possible to avoid needing to rack in the first place.

However, all that said, the most important tool when shooting scenes like this is not the camera, but the tripod. Switching the GH2 to a SD90 would not have made much difference, probably not even a noticeable difference to anyone but us. Switching to a cheaper tripod, however, would be noticeable.

brunerww
04-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Dan - I have the Panasonic TM900 to complement an unhacked GH2, and either one of these cameras would have produced gorgeous images -- and both would have had the aperture/brightness change problem in auto modes.

The answer to that on both cameras would be to go manual and perhaps use AF/AE lock or AF/AE track.

But, as others have said, it takes more work to produce crisp, in-focus video images with the GH2, because of the shallower depth of field. Camcorder autofocus is almost bulletproof.

Another advantage for the camcorder is zoom range. The 45-175 PZ used in this video is less than a 4X zoom - pitiful by camcorder standards (the SD90 advertises 40X).

In addition, the SD90 shoots at 1080/60p - a frame rate not available on the GH2.

As someone who bought a camcorder for the times when I want better quality than a point & shoot, and don't want to worry as much about focus, or when I need the longer zoom range, or when I want 60p for slow motion, I do recommend a backup camcorder if you can afford it.

One thought - you may want to look at the new V700 (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HCV700K-Angle-Camcorder-Black/dp/B0072B5E7E?tag=battleforthew-20) instead of the SD90 (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HDC-SD90K-Compatible-Memory-Camcorder/dp/B004I43MJ0?tag=battleforthew-20). The V700 has a mic input, a wider zoom range, and a standard 46mm filter thread.

Cheers,

Bill