PDA

View Full Version : getting a band for music videos

LloydC
06-10-2005, 11:27 AM
I've never made one before, and I have no idea how to get started.

I asked a couple local bands if they wanted to make a music video, but they said they want someone more experienced. I'll keep asking around.. but my question is, how did you get a band/musician to sign on in your first music video?

Did you post ads in the newspaper? advertise on the internet?

thisiswells
06-10-2005, 12:07 PM
There are sites out there for this kind of networking (mvwire.com) but it's just that: networking. Unfortunately, I can't offer any relevant suggestions for directing music videos as a profession. I've met a guy or two who does, but they're way out of my league and I'm unsure of the career path they took to get where they are. Bet they did a lot of schmoozing, though.

I think one way to get the ball rolling on a summer music video would be going to local shows and getting to know the bands or maybe even partnering with a small home/project studio that records underground bands. Position yourself to be around the folks that are in that industry and eventually something will come up. Given your thoughts on experience level(which we have no way of quantifying, so here you get the benefit of doubt that you rock), one approach would be offering your services to a local band pro bono, or otherwise what they refer to as, "mutual exploitation". They get a video, for better or worse, but free of charge. And, you get a band to build your reel.

Good luck.

Cheesesailor77
06-10-2005, 12:49 PM
here's what i did:

make a fake video

i got my friends together found a cool space and shot a deftones song. sure my friends look a little young, and the video isnt QUITE up to quality of the song, but now i just show ppl that and everyone fine with my "experience"

thats the way to go i'd say, plus u get the practice without a band upset if it doesnt turn out well

weltonfilment
06-10-2005, 01:23 PM
I put my short films on my website and put an ad on Craigslist. The next day (literally) a guy contacted me wanting me to do a video. I heard the song, and I agreed to do it. Of course I'm doing it for free, but the fact is that he liked my previous work and my attitude, as well as my ability to direct a video on a very small budget.

I'm not sure if the band you're approaching has a record deal or whatnot, and how big they are, but if you have some professional short films to show and have a good attitude and quote them a video at a low price (the total cost for the video; obviously your fee is zero), they would probably want to do it. If they balk at the price, consider splitting the costs with them.

But then again you have to consider where the band is at in their career. If they do not have a record deal or do not have a CD that's in a lot of music stores, then there really isn't any point to a video. Remember that a video is a promotional tool, nothing else. The only people that make any money off the video is the director and the rest of the crew that work on it. The labels do not sell videos to make money and neither does MTV. The artist I'm dealing with has a CD that will be released in August to major record stores and he's recently signed a deal with a record company that will be promoting it. Thus, a video makes perfect sense because they can put ads on TV (you know those thirty second spots that advertise the record, featuring clips from the video) and market it online, etc. I don't think it would ever get aired on MTV, but you don't have to be on MTV to sell a good number of albums.

Cheesesailor77
06-10-2005, 01:51 PM
yeah, and also, experience is very important, you need to know what ur doing so practice whenever u can, but another thing is you gotta pretend ur big shit artist guy

i learned this a while ago, frankly my shit is heads above everyone else in my area but it freaks me out to say it because im afriad my next thing will suck and i dont want ppl remembering the big headed guy from before, but frankly, u gotta show confidence in ur art. If u can't do that, then u need more practice before you start actually doing work.

you need to be confident around these guys because if you say "well its ok, or Im not sure, or i hope u like it, i know i can do better" like me, ppl start to look for the shit ur talking about and usually they'll find it. The more confident u are, the more they see why ur confident about it.

ok that was long winded but its important stuff for us newbies

jpbankesmercer
06-11-2005, 05:32 PM
I approached a band after their gig, walked straight up to the singer and said 'Hi i'm J.P. I want to do a music video for you.' he said yes!! Now on the stregth of that and my films, I've hooked up with a music producer and have three lined up.
Go for it! Be bold like the man said.
J.P.