PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Anybody want a comparison between the gh2, D800 & the 5D3 ?

L1N3ARX
03-22-2012, 06:12 PM
I might have a chance tomorrow afternoon or saturday morning to do it. Open to suggestions about what would be interesting to compare. I don't have 3 of the same lenses to span across the 3 bodies for a legit side-by-side, but I can shoot in sequence whatever you'd like to see.

The gh2 of course will be hacked, and I'm pondering using the Sigma 30mm 1.4, as it's Canon mount and I have an adapter for the gh2 and for Nikon.

FrameFarmMedia
03-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Yes use the 30mm 1.4. Of course I have selfish reasons. I just bought this lens (4/3 mount) and love it so far.

Jaime Valles
03-22-2012, 09:03 PM
I agree, use the same 30mm f/1.4 on all 3 cameras if at all possible. Granted, the GH2 will look much more telephoto than the other two, but otherwise you'd need a ~15mm on the GH2 to get the same field of view.

Anyway, try to get a variety of shots, both of people (close up and full figure) and landscapes/architecture. And if you can use the Driftwood AVCHD-Intra hacks (Orion V2b is awesome) all the better.

Looking forward to the clips and stills!

blofeld
03-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Just a heads up: That Sigma 30mm 1.4 covers only aps-c sensor area. A Canon mount 50mm would be good choice for FF cameras, GH2 + 30mm 1.4 is pretty close considering field of view. Looking forward to the test!

Russiana007
03-23-2012, 12:18 AM
I like so much. Please shooted it.

L1N3ARX
03-23-2012, 04:38 AM
Just a heads up: That Sigma 30mm 1.4 covers only aps-c sensor area. A Canon mount 50mm would be good choice for FF cameras, GH2 + 30mm 1.4 is pretty close considering field of view. Looking forward to the test!

Ah yes, good point. I do have a Canon 50mm, maybe I'll use that instead.

c3hammer
03-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Sounds like a cool test!

I'd use the same lens for all the camera's if you can, just place the subject at the same size in each frame. Perspective will be off but spacial resolution will be identical. In other words, the subject should be the exact same number of pixels in height and width, but with the same lens on each cam. This way you remove the lens sharpness and number of pixels covering the subject from the equation.

While the Sigma 30 1.4 looks nice on the GH2, it's awefully soft on the canon cams.

Cheers,
Pete

L1N3ARX
03-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Sounds like a cool test!

I'd use the same lens for all the camera's if you can, just place the subject at the same size in each frame. Perspective will be off but spacial resolution will be identical. In other words, the subject should be the exact same number of pixels in height and width, but with the same lens on each cam. This way you remove the lens sharpness and number of pixels covering the subject from the equation.

While the Sigma 30 1.4 looks nice on the GH2, it's awefully soft on the canon cams.

Cheers,
Pete

Well, I always try to match perspective / composition when doing a resolution test, as it's important to keep that consistent in any comparison between different sensors. The Sigma 30mm 1.4 was as sharp as anything I've seen on the 7D at around F3. Wide open, that's a different story for sure. A 50mm might be the way to go to avoid cropping / vignetting.

Jaime Valles
03-23-2012, 07:54 AM
I didn't know the 30mm wasn't full frame. In that case, definitely go with a lens that will cover the sensor of all 3 cameras!

mcbob
03-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Record a play that's 45 minutes long in one take. Whichever one doesn't stop is the winner :D

L1N3ARX
03-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Record a play that's 45 minutes long in one take. Whichever one doesn't stop is the winner :D

Well, my main use for the gh2 is narrative. So... if it goes up to a few minutes, it's more than I'll ever need already. Main concern for me is image quality. I would take a camera that could for 1 minute max with superb iq over a decent camera that could film non-stop 60 minutes. But, everyone has different needs ha.

Per Lichtman
03-23-2012, 01:41 PM
@L1N3ARX My biggest request is to bring an external recorder. You don't have to use it for all 3 (though that might be fun) but the biggest question at the moment is how the HDMI out of the D800 compares to the internal codecs on the other cameras.

J Davis
03-23-2012, 01:47 PM
from yoclay's eoshd thread

http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/gh2-5d3.jpg

TheDingo
03-23-2012, 02:10 PM
1- Test Resolution : Shoot trees or brick walls in the distance / try the dollar bill test mounted to a wall

2- Test Dynamic Range : Shoot something with a wide exposure range, like sunlight and deep shadow

3- Test High ISO performance : Shoot some night shots lit by available street lights

Jaime Valles
03-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Soooo... how'd it go?

L1N3ARX
03-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Soooo... how'd it go?

Well all my cool plans fell to crap today. Went out to a nice scenic area ready with all my gear, then my contact with the D800 was a no show and the 5D3 was consumed in photography for some clients... pretty bummed about it, but I might get another chance early next week. I did get some pretty good stuff with the gh2 like normal, I'll be posting that later on, but I'm determined to get a good comparison out before somebody beats me to it! I could shoot all day tomorrow with the 5D3 if I wanted, but really not all that interested until I get my hands on D800 uncompressed goodness for a benchmark.

HDkilledFILM.
03-25-2012, 10:11 AM
The thread that J Davis is talking about is in responce to this artical:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/7551/canon-5d-mark-iii-review