PDA

View Full Version : GH2 GH2 White balancing

Azmyth
03-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Do you guys usually dial in the specific temperature? use presets? or other? Kholi specifically talking to you!

mevnet
03-21-2012, 07:19 AM
The only think that served me well is dialing in the color temperature. I had issues using the presets or a custom white balance ( mostly with the original firmware, I do not know if the new one changed that).

mcbob
03-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Typically dial in temperature, especially when matching with other cameras.

Azmyth
03-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Typically dial in temperature, especially when matching with other cameras.

What if your using lighting of different temps together?

Kholi
03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
balance to a grey card has produced the best results for me, presets also seem pretty a-okay.

Dialing never seems to go well. Always notice strange noise or color shifts. If you can balance to something white or a grey card in the scene do that, but don't re-balance until you're done, or make sure you can white balance the same if you have to come back to that place.

Gerson
03-21-2012, 09:35 AM
I've also had trouble dialing in a temperature. The color doesn't seem to change the way it should as you go up and down the Kelvin scale. Odd. Also, I've found the LCD to be pretty terrible--I really need to calibrate it, but am unsure what the best approach is. Maybe that's a topic for another thread, but who here has calibrated the LCD, and how did you do it?

Ian-T
03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Kholi had a recent trick in helping to alleviate some of that color shift in the LCD. I does help at least up to a certain ISO (640 or 800 I think). I notice no color shift below thhose general ISOs.

mcbob
03-21-2012, 10:06 AM
In mixed light, custom WB is really the only way to do it.

Azmyth
03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
balance to a grey card has produced the best results for me, presets also seem pretty a-okay.

Dialing never seems to go well. Always notice strange noise or color shifts. If you can balance to something white or a grey card in the scene do that, but don't re-balance until you're done, or make sure you can white balance the same if you have to come back to that place.

Pardon my stupid question, but how does one WB to a white/gray card on the GH2.. I looked all through the settings and couldn't figure out how to do it the last time I wanted to.

Gary Huff
03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
I've used presets and manual white balancing and haven't had any issues.

mcbob
03-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Pardon my stupid question, but how does one WB to a white/gray card on the GH2.. I looked all through the settings and couldn't figure out how to do it the last time I wanted to.

WB menu, second over from the right (a numbered square betwixt two right triangles)

arrow up to select white set

fill frame with white/grey; arrow up ("WHITE SET")

hit menu/set button. Shutter clicks. You're done.

Azmyth
03-21-2012, 10:27 AM
WoW.. How did i miss that? /facepalm

mcbob
03-21-2012, 10:28 AM
That's OK... I had the camera 6 months before I figured it out :D

robzila27
03-21-2012, 11:00 AM
WoW.. How did i miss that? /facepalm

Yes....well hidden indeed :thumbsup:

Bungess
03-21-2012, 01:47 PM
I have had so-so results in regards to white balance (with manual, dialing, and presets). This has actually become very frustrating for me. I always get good results with a broadcast cam, but on the GH2, I've been holding my breath every time I set the WB... I am beginning to think it might be an LCD calibration thing... but my colors have been looking pretty terrible under normal light temps.
Scott
www.scottjfilms.com

j1clark@ucsd.edu
03-21-2012, 02:50 PM
I have had so-so results in regards to white balance (with manual, dialing, and presets). This has actually become very frustrating for me. I always get good results with a broadcast cam, but on the GH2, I've been holding my breath every time I set the WB... I am beginning to think it might be an LCD calibration thing... but my colors have been looking pretty terrible under normal light temps.
Scott
www.scottjfilms.com

Something I have noticed on the BTS clips for many movies. There will be someone with a GretagMcBeth color chart, which would presumably give the post-processing a guide on 'color' of the lighting. I'm sure there's white balancing as well, but it is not just left at that.

I use to have a small color chart, but it has somehow disappeared... so I use an old Kodak Field Guide, which has a B&W step chart, and a set of color swatches. The problem is I don't think the color swatches are 'NIST' traceable... so they are only really a finger in the air guide. I also have a larger Kodak 18% grey card which could be used for White Balance purposes. There are also some collapsible 'grey cards' that have a bigger area.

However, the 'grey target', needs to be placed such that the lighting on the scene/talent is measured, and not where the camera is placed, so there may be a sort of awkward, move the camera to the point where the field of view is filled with the target, then repositioned for the shot.

Of course, if the shot is outdoors, and sun light is the source, one could perhaps just make the calibration with the camera in position.

j1clark@ucsd.edu
03-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Scott
www.scottjfilms.com

In my 'considered'... opinion... the LCD should only be used for framing... Its use for such things as color balance and exposure, seem to have many problems.

Ian-T
03-21-2012, 07:49 PM
WB menu, second over from the right (a numbered square betwixt two right triangles)

You got to be kidding me!!!

I had this cam over a year now (and the GH-1 before it) and I never tried this. I'm like a kid in the candy store now. Thanks.

EDIT: The other cool thing is....it stays there even after you power the cam off and back on. :thumbsup:

Kholi
03-22-2012, 12:53 AM

This is exactly what I meant.

Hold the grey or white card up in the area where you're lighting (so that if there's mixed light it'll catch) or balance it to whichever light you prefer (fill or key) depending on your look, set it.

You have four slots to save.

DPStewart
03-22-2012, 01:46 AM

Oh DEAR LORD!

Add me to the list!

After coming from the DVX100 I fing this GH2 to be a programming NIGHTMARE!

AAAAAAUUUUGH!

But thanks!

DrDave
03-22-2012, 01:48 AM
I use a white/grey card for a custom balance, then video a sample of the card. IMHO there is a slight greenish cast even when I zero out the card.

Stray
03-22-2012, 02:08 AM
I use a white/grey card for a custom balance, then video a sample of the card. IMHO there is a slight greenish cast even when I zero out the card.

Definitely, there is a green cast to all footage pretty much irrespective of film profiles. Shooting a video sample of the card is a great baseline for removing it too. I find its best to deal with the green cast before any other correction.

Russiana007
03-22-2012, 04:25 AM
Use for the White cord or Grey cord? What's different?

Ian-T
03-22-2012, 05:44 AM
Use for the White cord or Grey cord? What's different?

I guess because an 18% grey card will be consistent in every shot while there are many differernt shades of what folks call "White." IMO

Then again I believe the grey card will also help with proper exposure where the white card will not. It's more difficult to blow out a neutral grey than it is a white card.

Gary Huff
03-22-2012, 06:51 AM
Any recommendations on a grey card to get? Preferably one that's big? My reflector has one on the inside of the cloth case, but I'd interested in something bigger.

j1clark@ucsd.edu
03-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Any recommendations on a grey card to get? Preferably one that's big? My reflector has one on the inside of the cloth case, but I'd interested in something bigger.

This one is kind of pricey...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=375212&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I've also seen others that have different 'casts' to allow one to have a 'warm' or 'cool' cast. These use to be popular with wedding videographers because it was just easier to do this 'in camera' rather than in the NLE...

mcbob
03-22-2012, 08:03 AM
B&H sells a ~$6 lens cloth that just happens to be 18% grey; I used to white balance to the back of a slate, but now that I'm mostly using iPhone/Pad Movie*Slate, that's not really possible. I might also use the white side of a 5-in-1 reflector... it's not perfectly white, but it's close enough.

Bungess
03-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Something I have noticed on the BTS clips for many movies. There will be someone with a GretagMcBeth color chart, which would presumably give the post-processing a guide on 'color' of the lighting. I'm sure there's white balancing as well, but it is not just left at that.

Thanks for the tip.

j1clark@ucsd.edu
03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
B&H sells a ~$6 lens cloth that just happens to be 18% grey; I used to white balance to the back of a slate, but now that I'm mostly using iPhone/Pad Movie*Slate, that's not really possible. I might also use the white side of a 5-in-1 reflector... it's not perfectly white, but it's close enough.

I put my iPad in a case, and the flap could have a grey card pasted on, or even the color chart...

Shenan
03-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Have any of you ever used an ExpoDisc? How does it compare to a white card or gray card? It gets pretty good reviews: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=expodisc&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Bern Caughey
03-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Have any of you ever used an ExpoDisc? How does it compare to a white card or gray card? It gets pretty good reviews: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=expodisc&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

The ExpoDisc works well, & is easy to transport. I prefer it to white cards.