PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Legit low price on GH2??!!

jaycanode
03-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Samy's got it for $1198 w/ kit lens??!!! Seems like you could start a cottage business splitting this kit and selling separately. Whats the catch?

deturbanator
03-17-2012, 03:44 PM
That's a pretty good price, but there have def been better deals in the past.
Really it all depends on how soon you will need the camera. If you have time to wait, keep bargain hunting.

ras815
03-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Samy's got it for $1198 w/ kit lens??!!! Seems like you could start a cottage business splitting this kit and selling separately. Whats the catch?

...are you kidding?

Adorama ran a $999 deal for the GH2 + 14-140 kit in December (the 14-42mm kit was $699). That was insane. And yes, I ended up with a GH2 body for about $475 after flipping the lens.

$1200 is pretty much the going price now for the kit with the aging, dog of a lens that is the 14-140. I think a lot of people are starting to wait around for these new X kit lenses, or possibly even the GH3.

ChipThome
03-17-2012, 11:07 PM
IMO, we are seeing the beginning of the end of the line for the GH2. A GH3 is bound to be announced in 2012, be it Spring or Photokina again, 2012 for sure. Now the 14-140 has been a staple for Panasonic, but I think it is being relegated to the back bench with the 14-42X most likely becoming the new kit lens. Panasonic has done some things since last winter that suggest they are depleting their supply of 14-140 to get inventory in line with it's new spot in the line up. It's still an excellent all around lens for the still shooter, so I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Ebay has had a couple of low priced GH2 deals lately. A US seller selling gray market for under $600 and another US seller selling US product with warranty, for under $700. To me, that suggests that Panasonic is beginning its clearing of the channel of GH2 product, again, in advance of a GH3 coming out.

I think we can continue to see even lower GH2 prices, up until supply gets depleted. I am sure Panasonic wants to avoid the $399 dumping of GH2s that we saw with the GH1s.

kicap
03-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Are you sure there will be GH3 in 2012? Any reference to that?

ChipThome
03-18-2012, 09:14 PM
As was stated in various threads here and elsewhere, Panasonic's consumer lines run on an 18-24 month shelf life. The GH2 was announced at Photokina 2010 which makes this year's Photokina 2012 the 2 year mark for the GH2.

Now if you go to one of the still shooters' sites you will find the buzz there in M4/3 is all about the new Oly stuff and hardly nothing about Panasonic at all. Then of course there's the 5D Mark III and the D4 and D800 buzz from the Canon and Nikon guys.

So I am basing my statement on Panasonic's past history of product replacement along with the new competition that's recently been announced.

If Panasonic wants to grow its market share, it needs to compete in the stills arena, as well as hold the title for video. There are far more still shooters than video shooters out there and those are the people and competitive products Panasonic has to address.