PDA

View Full Version : GH2 GH2 vs. 5D3

Gary Huff
03-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Really quick and dirty comparison. 1/60 shutter @ ISO 320. Canon 35mm f/1.4L.

http://vimeo.com/38473350

OldCorpse
03-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks for that, Gary. Call me crazy, I still like the look of the GH2 better. Of course, fast pans are out, but otherwise...

Gary Huff
03-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Yes, the 5D Mark III is better than the GH2 in the jello department.

DPStewart
03-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I preferred the look of the GH2 as well.

Jello? It's ALL trash.
Yes the jello is less on the 5D but it is still so bad I can't stand it at all.
I swear - just use any 3CCD video camera for your fast pan stuff and call it a day. The jello of CMOS is totally unusable to me.

Cosimo Bullo
03-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Holy c#*p Gary, how did you get this footage!? I'm downloading the original now.

PaPa
03-13-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure you can compare the skew, these cameras are at different focal lengths.

jhero
03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Yea, 35 vs 70 (in 35mm equil)

ErikTande
03-13-2012, 10:00 PM
The 5Dm3 seemed less jittery. I assume that's because it's heavier. I wish the big guy in the black striped shirt could have been in both shots to get a real life moire test.

I agree with PStewart, the jello is bad on both. The Foundry has a killer fix for it though.
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/rollingshutter/

John Caballero
03-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Well once again, if you use a non OIS lens on the GH2 that's what you get, jello, jello and more jello. Why can't people understand that? There is a lot of horrendous GH2 footage out there shot with "wonderful" prime lenses.

L1N3ARX
03-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Haha this is awesome. I can't believe how long the GH2 is reigning supreme; the footage wasn't just a little better, it blew it away as far as this test is concerned. Jello aside, gh2 motion / cadence simply cannot be beaten, so smooth / film like.

HansSteinert
03-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Can someone mirror the file on a different site for me to download? Vimeo download isn't working for me.

DPStewart
03-14-2012, 03:00 AM
The 5Dm3 seemed less jittery. I assume that's because it's heavier. I wish the big guy in the black striped shirt could have been in both shots to get a real life moire test.

I agree with PStewart, the jello is bad on both. The Foundry has a killer fix for it though.
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/rollingshutter/

That looks VERY interesting.

Matthew P
03-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Can someone mirror the file on a different site for me to download? Vimeo download isn't working for me.

Here you go: http://www.filefactory.com/file/c4d7f15/n/88613400.mp4

daveswan
03-14-2012, 03:36 AM
Ouch! My eyes are still trying to look sideways after that! Not sure I can make any judgment at all on shakey-cam footage

Gary Huff
03-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Ouch! My eyes are still trying to look sideways after that! Not sure I can make any judgment at all on shakey-cam footage

I wish the video could have been smoother but a) I had a very small window of time to do this and a tripod/monopod wouldn't have worked because I would have had to spend time mounting and dismounting both cameras. I barely made it back to where I was supposed to be at on time as it was.

The 5Dm3 seemed less jittery. I assume that's because it's heavier.

The 5D Mark III I used had a battery grip attached, thus even more surface area than just the body alone. The 35mm L series lens is also very big and made the GH2 quite front-heavy.

I wish the big guy in the black striped shirt could have been in both shots to get a real life moire test.

As soon as I saw that guy, I knew he was perfect with that shirt. Hate to have had him move off by the time I got the GH2 up and running, however, I can confidently say that moire on the GH2 would not have been a problem either. The short film I shot in January is a good illustration of that fact:

http://vimeo.com/35204868

Ultimately, I think if you want that Photographic Full Frame video look, then the 5D Mark III is simply a no-brainer. Is it worth so much more than a GH2 outside of that? I don't really think so.

brunerww
03-14-2012, 05:05 AM
Gary,

Thanks for the early test. Appreciate it. It will be nice to get side-by-sides at some point with equivalent focal lengths and system lenses on both cameras.

For me, the takeaway is that this little $1000 camera is at least competitive with the latest generation $3500 FF camera in a straight up IQ comparison.

Seems to confirm Andrew Reid's initial assessment in his early hands-on with the 5D3 (http://www.eoshd.com/content/7361/hands-on-with-the-canon-5d-mark-iii):

"To be honest after today's hands-on I am a bit worried about the 5D Mark III's actual resolving power in 1080p as well. Zoomed-in on playback mode with the Zacuto EVF at 1080p I saw nothing to suggest it was as good as the GH2...I really do hope that the final 5D Mark III has better video resolution because at the moment it is nowhere near the GH2 or a moving still (at least from all the evidence so far). There's no reason why it shouldn't be. The GH2's hardware costs far less."

!Pretty good value for money.

Hoping for a global shutter in the GH3, though. That jello was awful :-)

Cheers,

Bill

gonzo_entertainment
03-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Man, the lighting was so horrendously ugly in that room it was hard to focus on the images. From just that footage I couldn't see much difference other than the worse rolling shutter on the GH2 and the fact the MK3 still had moire issues on the guys shirt.

HansSteinert
03-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Man, the lighting was so horrendously ugly in that room it was hard to focus on the images. From just that footage I couldn't see much difference other than the worse rolling shutter on the GH2 and the fact the MK3 still had moire issues on the guys shirt.

Did you download the source? Because I didn't see any moire when I downloaded it.

metavox
03-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the quick test. But I think the video doesn't tell us much in terms of jello comparison. The GH2 looks bad against the 5D MK3 simply because of the longer focal length. With a 17.5mm lens (35mm equivalent) it would perform much better.

gonzo_entertainment
03-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Did you download the source? Because I didn't see any moire when I downloaded it.

No, don't care enough to go to that much trouble.

Gary Huff
03-14-2012, 11:11 AM

Perhaps if you care enough to comment, you should care enough to actually verify against Vimeo's own compression?

HansSteinert
03-14-2012, 11:18 AM

But you cared enough to post? ^_^

Did you at least blow it up on your monitor in the stream?

Anyways, I'm having a hard time finding any moire and aliasing in the downloadable file.

Will Turner
03-14-2012, 11:25 AM

I see no aliasing/moire on the shirt (or anywhere else actually) streaming the video on my macbook pro (1440x900 screen) so I fail to see how you did? What were you watching it on, a mobile phone?

gonzo_entertainment
03-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Nope on a 21" HD monitor. If you guys say it isn't there in the source I believe you. Watching on my monitor it's brutal on his shirt in the beginning. I didn't realize it was a multi-part test. I assumed if you post a video then I can comment on the video as posted.

Gary Huff
03-14-2012, 11:49 AM
So are you unaware that watching the Vimeo
stream can exhibit issues that are not found in the original source?

gonzo_entertainment
03-14-2012, 11:53 AM
So are you unaware that watching the Vimeo
stream can exhibit issues that are not found in the original source?

Ummm... yes, though I typically see judder not moire.

Again, if comments on the video aren't welcome, don't post the video, just post a link to the source.

HansSteinert
03-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Ummm... yes, though I typically see judder not moire.

Again, if comments on the video aren't welcome, don't post the video, just post a link to the source.

He did post a link to the source. It's on the vimeo page. You need an account to DL it, though.

I threw the file in premiere and frame-by-framed it at 200% blow up. I'm not seeing anything, although not going to lie the shirt is messing with my eyes.

gonzo_entertainment
03-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Weird that I saw it on this machine. About a million factors that could play into that. One of my videos has terrible judder in a dolly shot when watched on vimeo from my PC, and is smooth as silk from the vimeo app on my iphone. Internet compression and codecs are a weird thing.

Gary Huff
03-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Which is why I made the original source available for download.

DBP
03-14-2012, 12:52 PM
I saw a lot of moire in the small vimeo window, but none at all in the source. I still see a res difference between the GH2 and the MKIII, but Canon seems to have closed the gap. It might be the massive upgrade people were hoping for, but it's definitely looking like a nice camera.

HansSteinert
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
I saw a lot of moire in the small vimeo window, but none at all in the source. I still see a res difference between the GH2 and the MKIII, but Canon seems to have closed the gap. It might be the massive upgrade people were hoping for, but it's definitely looking like a nice camera.

Yeah vimeo downscaling will do that.

flinty
03-15-2012, 02:02 AM
For me the GH2 color was better,whether the settings and film mode come into play i dont know.

c3hammer
03-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Gary what encoding did you use on the MP4 file for these clips. Having some trouble with the download file and looking at individual frames. It plays on my i7 machine, but there's something weird going on with it.

Cheers,
Pete

JohnnyD
03-15-2012, 04:37 PM
You overexposed the 5D by 1/2 stop. We need pros to test all of the new cameras.

Ian-T
03-15-2012, 05:50 PM
...We need pros to test all of the new cameras.
Seems like an emotional response.

Gary Huff
03-15-2012, 08:42 PM

Trolls be trollin'.

Gary Huff
03-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Gary what encoding did you use on the MP4 file for these clips. Having some trouble with the download file and looking at individual frames. It plays on my i7 machine, but there's something weird going on with it.

Adobe Media Encoder CS5.5
Profile: High
Level: 4.2
Render at Maximum Depth
VBR 2-pass, Target: 32mbps, Maximum: 40mbps
Key Frame Distance: 120
Maximum Render Quality

L1N3ARX
03-15-2012, 08:49 PM
You overexposed the 5D by 1/2 stop. We need pros to test all of the new cameras.

Darn, I almost got tricked into thinking this was a valid test. Thanks for exposing this fraudulent video / comparison!!!

c3hammer
03-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks Gary! I was just curious how the screen captures compare. If you could find a spot where the camera and subject aren't moving and in focus for each :)

I did notice that the carpet is radically different color between the two. The 5dm3 is orange and it's bright red with the GH2. Currious which was closer.

Cheers,
Pete

Sage
03-16-2012, 07:20 AM
And emotion is usually revealing..

Shenan
03-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Gary, I presume you ran the GH2 on 1080, but what was your framerate?

Gary Huff
03-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Gary, I presume you ran the GH2 on 1080, but what was your framerate?

1080p24 was the size and framerate for both cameras.

Shenan
03-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Great, thanks! I asked to gauge if the rolling shutter could have been better or worse with different settings, as supposedly 1080p24 has worse rolling shutter than 720 or 60i. Thanks again.