PDA

View Full Version : GH2 High ISO line at the bottom of the screen?

dtjohns1
03-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Is anyone else getting a line going across the screen while running anything above 2500 ISO? I love this cam and while shooting with the cinema style i've found that low light noise is pretty much non existent but this stupid line at the bottom is killing me.

DPStewart
03-12-2012, 07:52 PM
I have heard some suggest a "burn-in" of your sensor. Something like recording 30 minutes of a bright white screen. I'm not sure how it's done exactly but search it here - it might help.

Admir
03-13-2012, 05:50 AM
If I am understanding you right you're having issues with banding. This happens pretty much every time you shoot above ISO 1600. If you want to check if it is banding, shoot at lets say 2500 ISO and change your shutter speed, you will see that the banding pretty much dissapears at 1/30 shutter. I was hoping that this issue would be fixed with the GH2 since the GH1 really suffered from it, but same story with the GH2...

brudney
03-13-2012, 07:17 AM
it's a well known issue of GH2 and has been discussed here extensively in various threads.
and no, GH2 banding is nowhere near GH1's. Now it's 'just' one stripe when severly underexposed while multiple, dancing vertical lines of GH1 made that camera totally useless in lowlight (in my case anyway).
in either case, shame on Panny:/

Tass
03-13-2012, 10:25 AM
I have two bands over the screen, that's such a shame! Worst thing is that Panny thinks that this is normal and is not covered by any warranty. Makes me wonder why so high ISO's are availible in video mode...

Disastronaut
03-13-2012, 11:57 AM
I've noticed it too, but only in high iso underexposed situations, which I obviously try to avoid. That's just the way is with this camera.

dtjohns1
03-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Appreciate the help. I usually dont shoot high iso but the last couple of jobs I've had were events where they did not want me to use an on camera light. Looks like Ill need to invest in a Mark III for my low light shooting and a GH2 for my gigs where I can control my environment.

Disastronaut
03-13-2012, 12:21 PM
I've noticed that using a lens that was only a couple stops faster made all the difference by helping to avoid the higher band-prone iso.

dtjohns1
03-13-2012, 12:30 PM
I was using the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 at the time and thats my fastest lens.

jleo
03-13-2012, 08:20 PM
If it is a static dark band, it seems to go away if you switch to P exposure mode or lower the shutter speed to 30 in M,S, A . I only see it with Panasonic lenses but not legacy lenses. In P mode, you can see the band move to the bottom of the screen and disappear in the first few seconds of your shot .