PDA

View Full Version : BEAST - Shot on C300

Noel Evans
03-11-2012, 03:51 AM
Hi Guys

Ive been pretty flat out but managed to squeeze this in amongst everything. In an attempt to get a quicker handle on this cam I shot this little piece. Still needs a couple of tweeks in post - but Im out of time for about 2-3 weeks, literally so Ive put it up.

Take a look here

Had a chance to do a small re edit last night.

VIDEO DOWN TEMPORARILY

How about a little post about your workflow experience, how the camera handled in the field, and your impressions of the overall experience shooting with the c300?

Since you asked.

GENERAL: I wanted to turn this around really fast knowing I had a really limited timeframe due to other commitments. Script was based on an idea I had for awhile.

Bit of breakdown on that. I live on the Gold Coast in Australia - just south of Brisbane and just east of me is a place called Springbrook. Its a mountainous area and home to the most sightings of the Australian yowie (bigfoot in the US). Not something I buy into, however I cant ignore the zeal that some people display in their belief. Theres some big male Kangaroos in that same area. There is 0 evidence that Yowie's exist so this story is based on a more supernatural explanation I came up with - think werewolf. Shape shifters.

SHOOTING THE GAOL SEQUENCE.

Pretty straight forward - I had a shot list and some story boards to guide me through. Id also tested the end look I wanted.

We shot this at a place called Boggo Rd Gaol. THe gaol opened in 1903 and closed down in 1989 - these buildings are all heritage listed. The problem of course is limited access. I could not get into the gaol prior to the shoot. SO I had to study the photographs I had access to. As it turned out my assumptions based on the photos were correct so the light set ups I had in mind were usable.

The C300 in the GAOL. Straight forward - I lit for ISO 850 at around T4-5.6. As you'd expect it was the cameras sweet spot so I got pretty much everything as I wanted it. The cells were a bit smaller than Id expected so a couple of moving shots I wanted werent really possible and on the day didnt add a lot to the story. In the opening shot I wanted to throw shadows across the wall and in particular the main characters face as he moved through that area to give a feeling that - well theres something obscured about this guy. At the very rear I added a little splash of extra CTB to the unit to hit the very back right corner. Also to add to the main character - where he is coming from seems cold. Hopefully even looking at this carfully you will find it hard to see it a great deal - thats the point however, its merely meant to be a hint. This is a period piece so lighting was also going to have a commonly recognised period feel. C300 performed beautifully. Id set enough light for the ISO and desired stop - which kept the rear window highlight, but also kept it within an acceptable range. Thats one of the things the C300 does extremely well as most people would be aware by now. The DR lets you create small nuances in the shot across shadows / mids / highlights, which you can keep once you get to your grade.

In the cell on John's I kept his focus a touch softer than Wills. Im trying to make him look like the good guy / saviour at this point. When I say a touch, I really mean a hairs length and was easily able to gauge that with the built in tools.

Used all Ziess - duclos cine modded ZF's. We did have a small accuracy issue on one shot that could have been solved by using high ended cine lenses - nothing terrible however.

FOREST

Id done the recce on a day that I wanted the shoot to be like - low sun casting long shadows through the trees. On the shoot day - pouring rain. The pre graded look from the test shots however did play nicely with the footage shot in these conditions which needed a lot of highlights to really make it work. So all good there.

The day was warm with pouring rain. The camera was getting water drops on it as much as we tried to stop it with umbrellas - and it was constantly being dried. Extreme conditions the camera handled extremely well.

Used the Ziess ZFs again plus the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS L.

OVERALL - Im very happy with the C300. I was never much of a DSLR shooter, though Ive shot a few things on the 5DMKII. Ive never been a fan of the feel of a DSLR for shooting motion. C300 sits differently and it just works. If youve ever been envious of a stills photographer who's out walking around with his 1dX or similar high end DSLR going lightweight grabbing shots - that envy goes away with the C300. You can do just that. I feel like having it with me all the time, not that I often shoot random images. But just to look through the EVF on particular things and grab a few seconds all the time is great for the eye.

DR is excellent - 12 stops? Id say 12 stops + ? Its nothing, and I mean nothing similar to the DR achievable on a 5DMKII, AF100 or anything in that next downward price bracket. TO me thats worth the price of entry.

Direct to camera audio is excellent if you ever need it - we used it.

Lens mount is solid - wasnt bothered at all by having the 70-200 hanging of it without support.

LCD - with the focus peaking (that actually has adjustable settings through the menu as to how much you get), magnify - you can easily use it to pull perfect focus all day. Enough for a focus puller to pull focus with as well. We had a couple of shots where actors over/understepped a mark slightly - you wont notice because my focus puller was able to easily adjust.

alpi69
03-11-2012, 04:15 AM
The forest-scenes look a bit noisy in the beginning. Otherwise the cam resolves amazingly.

Have fun finishing it ;-)

EDIT: and thanks for putting it out there!

Noel Evans
03-11-2012, 04:22 AM
Heh forest scenes have grain added

alpi69
03-11-2012, 07:30 AM
haha...that explains a lot ;-)

Nuno Dias
03-11-2012, 08:14 AM
I also shot with this camera and being in the middle of post now, I also found that it produces quite a bit of noise (more like grain), although it's the kind of noise that lives primarily in the dark portions of the frame, but grading does remove quite a lot of it. Although it does looks more like (film) grain than digital noise, and it doesn't produce a 'noisy' picture, it works more like texture than noise.

But granted that grain its not for everyone's taste.

dustylense
03-11-2012, 01:38 PM
First, awesome Noel! About 30 secs in, I cared less about what camera this was shot on because I got engaged with the story. It's kinda the point, to be engaged with the "STORY". Well done.
OK, lets talk cameras. I like the story and shots.
Sh*t, talk about the camera. The actors did really well and the sound was nice.
THE CAMERA DAMMIT! Focus! I bet you got through the shoot on 2 batteries.

OK really, here is how I see the camera. I like that you shot a narrative. I haven't seen to many narratives off the Scarlet expect Sebatians. Maybe all the RED Scarlet guys are still converting their R3d's? But with the release of the C300 and the films they used upon release, and the many other C300 films already hitting the tubes, it shows me that this camera, codec, and users are able to get their stories out of their minds and into ours. How about a little post about your workflow experience, how the camera handled in the field, and your impressions of the overall experience shooting with the c300?

vision_filmz
03-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Great job, didn't really get into the story but I like the image and overall quality.

TimurCivan
03-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Show it in 1080p or it didnt happen.

David G. Smith
03-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Very nice Noel. I have to go with dustylense and say that after just a little bit... I was following the story. Good job.

BTW... just a little tip. If you put a coat of soap on a metal object, like an ax blade, stage blood flows much more naturally across it. We used to use just plain Ivory dish soap, in a thin layer, when showing bloody blades.

J Davis
03-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Nice one Noel !

If you put a coat of soap on an metal object, like an ax blade, stage blood flows much more naturally...

great info I'm filing that one away for future use

Noel Evans
03-12-2012, 01:42 AM
BTW... just a little tip. If you put a coat of soap on a metal object, like an ax blade, stage blood flows much more naturally across it. We used to use just plain Ivory dish soap, in a thin layer, when showing bloody blades.

Cheers David - actually we kept getting sudden downpours so the shot was like wait 20 mins then go whilst it was minimal - agree the blood is tacky. Also that focus pull there is a little dodge IMO. But it was a tough shoot in the forest - so we had to move on.

Show it in 1080p or it didnt happen.

HEH click HD ON :P

Noel Evans
03-13-2012, 04:25 PM
How about a little post about your workflow experience, how the camera handled in the field, and your impressions of the overall experience shooting with the c300?

Updated first post with some more info.

Noel Evans
03-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Had a chance to do a small re edit last night.

https://vimeo.com/38770508