PDA

View Full Version : GH2 M42 to M4/3 adapter questions

Disastronaut
03-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Just inherited a 7-piece set of vintage Takumar primes and am in the process of tracking down a decent adapter. I hear some have trouble with infinity focus and still other that you have to loosen up to change the aperture. Even though they all appear pretty inexpensive I'd rather not waste my time and money going through all of them to find one that will work correctly on my GH2 and therefore am asking for suggestions or even a link to an appropriate existing post I might have overlooked.

Thanks.

Aki_Hartikainen
03-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Pixco is a low cost good quality adapter. The problem may not be the adapter, the lens must have A - M switch to allow pre-setting aperture manually. The adapter does not help in this. There is a small pin at the back of the lens in the mount ring, that has to be pressed in for the aperture to show changes when you turn the aperture ring. Only lenses with A - M switch (or known to be fully manual) will work right away.

Disastronaut
03-10-2012, 03:19 PM
These lenses are from the mid-80's from what I understand and are completely manual.

Aki_Hartikainen
03-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Does the aperture visibly change when you turn the aperture ring? If so, then there should be no trouble in using them with a M42 to m4/3 adapter. The infinity focus problem that is sometimes mentioned is caused by not being able to screw on the lens fully to the adapter, which has turned it into a kind of macro lens as the optical distance is greater than it should be. I see no other possible issues with this. I have the Pixco adapter and several manual M42 lenses and they are terrific. In fact, the one Soviet 58 mm Helios lens is the most filmic lens I have. It is just too tele most of the time.

Stroh
03-10-2012, 07:07 PM
i use a fotodiox m42 to mft adapter and it works great, my vivitar 24mm and peleng 8mm both focus to infinity just fine.

Kin Lau
03-11-2012, 07:03 PM
There are adapters that will press down the pin for you, I have one such adapter, but I got it such a long time ago off Ebay, that I really can't tell who or where.

Either way, look on the adapter for the A/M switch, it's got nothing to do with AF, it's an aperture switch.

Inprogress
03-13-2012, 07:19 AM
I love Takumar's.....but then I love my Spotmatic that goes with them.

I also have a Pixco and it works perfectly fine with mine, both with the A-M switch.

Disastronaut
03-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Finally received the lenses, now if only my adapters would get here I could try them out. The 50/1.4 is noticeably yellow, as expected. I'll see what a trip to a friends UV box can do with it.

stoneinapond
03-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Just a heads up. As you can see there is a small pin on the rear of the 50mm lens. Your adapter will need a lip that presses that pin in.

mcbob
03-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Looks like a radioactive set... nice!

Disastronaut
03-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Looks like a radioactive set... nice!
Just how radioactive are these things? I'm doing a little research and am getting conflicting information.