PDA

View Full Version : Get your imagination going....

Chris_Keaton
03-05-2012, 11:02 AM
What's your favorite family film.

I'd have to say Goonies. I think a good family friendly film should be entertaining, but also make the younger audience's imagination run wild.

Eric Boellner
03-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Strictly speaking, I guess I'd say the POTC franchise (sans the 4th installment, which was utter dreck). In terms of my own childhood, my dad and I used to watch John Wayne movies together (Rio Bravo and Rio Grande were always my favorites), as well as films like Braveheart, Young Guns, Platoon. As a whole, the two films I can remember my family watching the most were The Quiet Man and The Patriot. Home Alone was always a favorite as well, though I have doubts about ever watching that one again.

Hope that's not too big a derailment. <grin> I'm kind of embarrassed that I haven't seen Goonies...

-JMT

Chris_Keaton
03-07-2012, 04:41 AM
POTC? People being gunned down and blown to bits was family fair in your home? Have you needed therapy? Of course my youngest thinks '13 Ghosts' is an awesome movie (tv version). But whose taking score?

Dauthi
03-07-2012, 09:06 AM
I enjoyed Super 8. I think it had it all, made you laugh, cry, fear, etc..

Chris_Keaton
03-07-2012, 12:01 PM
I enjoyed Super 8. I think it had it all, made you laugh, cry, fear, etc..

That was a perfect example of a modern 80's family film.

dtroop506
03-07-2012, 01:37 PM
E.T.
The Lion King
My Dog Skip
The Wizard of Oz
A Christmas Story

Eric Boellner
03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
POTC? People being gunned down and blown to bits was family fair in your home? Have you needed therapy? Of course my youngest thinks '13 Ghosts' is an awesome movie (tv version). But whose taking score?

Haha, I guess POTC is a bad example. But yeah, I grew up alternating between The Waltons marathons and Mel Gibson hacking bodies with a tomahawk in The Patriot.

As a bit of an aside, is POTC not considered a family franchise? I know it's kind of risque, and perhaps a bit more geared toward teenagers than 8-year olds, but the reason I placed it as my favorite family franchise was because I originally saw POTC1 with my grandmother when I was 12. I just assumed it was considered family friendly -- at least the 1st and 4th installments, anyways.

-JMT

Chris_Keaton
03-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Oh, now I understand POTC. I didn't connect that with Pirates. Yes, that is totally a family film(s).

DarkElastic
03-08-2012, 01:27 AM
Star Wars
Star Trek movies
The Flight of the Navigator
The Last Starfighter
Monster Squad
The Addams Family
Labyrinth
Ghostbusters
Legend
Princess Bride
Gremlins
Stand By Me

KhamIsk
03-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Addams Family
and
Enchanted

are my best. ("and" is not a movie!)

Rustom Irani
03-09-2012, 08:49 AM
I grew up on an eclectic fodder of films as a kid in Bombay. Chopsocky ruled the roost! All those Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan films from the 60s and 70s. Then most of my pre-teen years were all about Arnie and Sly and Van Damme. Spaghetti Westerns and classic drama came much later in my life.

The purely fun family films, American of course, were "Honey I Shrunk the Kids", Goonies, Willow, Back to the Future, A Christmas Story, An American Tail, Short Circuit, K-9, Indy and the Temple of Doom, Ghost Busters...to name a few enjoyed by everyone at my home. :)

KhamIsk
03-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Oh, Rustom - Back to the Future, right! Love that one. And Harry Potter (all of them). These two I can watch infinite number of times.

Craighoit
03-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Back to the Future is an almost perfect movie. Love it and have seen it many, many times over. Raiders of the Lost Ark. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea has its moments. I also sat through four straight viewings of Flash Gordon when I was 12 or so....

James0b57
03-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Says the man who is about to eat a kitten.

Chris_Keaton
03-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Says the man who is about to eat a kitten.

It's a squirrel.

themightyshrub
03-11-2012, 12:55 PM
I always thought it was a kitten as well

DarrenJSeeley
03-20-2012, 09:49 PM
The Princess Bride
The Neverending Story
Toy Story 1-3
Wall-E
Ice Age
The Emperor's New Groove
Star Wars fiilms
Star Trek films
Beetlejuice
Remember The Titans
Ben-Hur
Mary Poppins
A Little Princess

Sarah Daly
03-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Willow, Princess Bride, Neverending Story 1 and 2, Fantasia, Goonies, Mary Poppins, Beetlejuice, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Aladdin, The Jungle Book, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Uncle Buck, and more recently: Wall-E and Up!

That was a fun trip down movie memory lane!

Chris_Keaton
03-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? That was a surprising.

Now I wonder if 'Hunger Games' would be considered a family film? :)

ZellJr
04-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Neverending Story

Flight of the Navigator

My main two.

Anthony Todaro
04-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Cannibal Holocaust
Happiness
Battle Royale
Pretty Baby
The Crying Game
Flowers of Flesh and Blood
Slumber Party Massacre
Motel Hell
Nekromantik
Eraserhead

Oh... wait... wrong list... sorry.

Chris_Keaton
04-06-2012, 10:09 PM
I remember loving 'Motel Hell' when I was a kid. But 'The Crying Game' really? That explains a lot.

Anthony Todaro
04-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Carrie - A warm hearted mother daughter drama...

I take a 'Crying Game Shower' after I do my taxes every year.
Except, I cry WAY louder.

Sunk99
04-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Carrie! <laughing drink out nose>
I remember seeing that at the movies. That was big time scary then - hot babes.
At the end a hand comes out of the rocks.
My date throws her drink and popcorn all over me, not to mention she nearly gives me a heart attack with her scream.
I'll always remember Carrie, for Linda.