PDA

View Full Version : Accessories

alpi69
02-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Hey guys, in a few days my C300 should arrive and there are a few questions I have about accessories....

- raincover/bodyarmor: has anyone seen anything yet? we are shooting a lot outdoor stuff and hiking through snowstorms and following a bicyclerace on a motorbike in a 6 hour rain day is not seldom.So Id like some water protection.....due to its form factor and the button layout this might become tricky to find. What do you guys do?

- batteries: I have ordered a BP-975 next to the BP-955 that comes with the cam. That should give me 6-8 hours. Does anyone know how the "cheap" clones from amazon work?

- cage: the redrockmicro Ultracage looks great, but makes the cam even higher, unless you get the handle and the coldshoe-add-on from them as well. Does anyone know where I can get redrockmicro in Europe without huge shipping costs and tax-addons?
Also the studio plate from Zacuto seems to make sense, but is pricey, as you almost get the ultra cage for the same money.

- XLR extension: does Canon offer longer cabels yet for their XLR-input-solution, which is the weakest link of the cam?

- warranty extension: it is already discussed in another thread. I am spoiled by Panasonic....Is there any solution by Canon that makes sense and covers the cam for 3 years?

Menno Mennes
02-28-2012, 05:51 AM
- cage: the redrockmicro Ultracage looks great, but makes the cam even higher, unless you get the handle and the coldshoe-add-on from them as well. Does anyone know where I can get redrockmicro in Europe without huge shipping costs and tax-addons?Also the studio plate from Zacuto seems to make sense, but is pricey, as you almost get the ultra cage for the same money.Hi Alpi69,Look at this sitehttp://denz-deniz.com/index.php?page=7&productgroup=2&product=53 (http://denz-deniz.com/index.php?page=7&productgroup=2&product=53) the plant stays in Munich Germany. It's "nearby" for you...:)Kind regards,Menno Mennes

telecam
02-28-2012, 06:04 AM
1. I have not found any rain cover specifically made for the C300 yet and the camera having such and odd shape, a specific cover will probably be to made
2. The PB-955 has plenty of power for the C300 and unless you need to run more than 3 hours on battery power and don't mind keeping the battery door open, the BP-975 should be terrific
3. I can only see using the cage is you need mounting a lots of additional stuff on it but at this point, I like the form factor and compactness of the C300 and would prefer to use it as is. This one of the advantage of the C300 over other cameras, it is light, compact and ergonomically sound.
4. I also really wish someone builds a compact XLR Audio module only with controls so I don't have to attached the all LCD/XLR unit for run and gun.
5. I thing Canon's EOS Support Program is still in the works. As a Canon CPS Platinum member, I am really frustrated to see that the C300 is not covered under this program and that existing CPS members would get not credit when signing up for the EOS Cinema's own support plan. Canon needs to bridge the two somehow.

alpi69
02-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Did anyone try to fit a C300 into the "kata e-702 rain cover or DSLRs"??

alpi69
02-28-2012, 06:31 AM
3. I can only see using the cage is you need mounting a lots of additional stuff on it but at this point, I like the form factor and compactness of the C300 and would prefer to use it as is. This one of the advantage of the C300 over other cameras, it is light, compact and ergonomically sound.

Yes true. But the way this cage is built it fits nicely around the cam and looks like it can protect it as well. And when I really want lightweight I can still take it off.

Supportplan is a poor plan by Canon if they dont come up with something. Once there is more competition in their market (right now they sit lone with the F3) they will lose customers because of this missing service-feature.

alpi69
03-05-2012, 02:11 PM
- raincover: I bought this one and will report soon: http://www.rovotech.com/wetter/regenschutz/camrade/camrade-wetsuit-ws-canon-eos-c300.html

- ordered the ultra cage with the handle. it will make the camera in fact smaller/lower, because you can screw a cold-shoe-mount on the cage and have the LCD/XLR-module there; that way you can skip the C300s own handle. I will use a magic-arm screwed into the cage to put the LCD further in front, so I can have the camera on my shoulder in the shoulder-rig....in theory that might be a good balance. need 3 more weeks to get the cage...will report then

- support by Canon: inEurope the CPS programme is free for C300 users. I did not hear back from them if this will include a warranty extension or what such an extension would cost. They might still be working on it.....

n21k
03-05-2012, 08:09 PM
What is the Mattebox & Baseplate with 15mm rods are you using? Seems like Redrock Micro & Zacuto got the best solution.

Loren Simons
03-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Alpi,

Glad to hear you picked up the ultraCage, it's really the best solution for the C300. Like you mentioned it does give you the opportunity to be a bit more modular with placement of the Canon accessories, and in certain configurations the unit could in fact end up smaller. Being that you add very little size, yet so much functionality and even protection, it's definitely one of my favorite products to date. I think you'll really enjoy it and feel free to contact me personally if you have any questions.

A nice thing that isn't talked about as much as I would like is the ability to add an Arri BP-8 or BP-9 to the system for use with any of the other rail standards, and have it all aligned properly for the C300. For this reason it really makes it the most versatile baseplate for the C300.

After personally being on all of the productions for the C300 launch, I can honestly say I'm really excited to see more of these cameras (and ultraCages:beer:) in filmmakers' hands. Hope to see some good stuff from you soon!

n21k,

Our microMatteBox System (http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/microMatteBox-for-15mm-Lightweight/microMatteBox-Deluxe-Bundle) is definitely a great full sized studio matte box. Swing away, dual stage (with the option to add additional stages), and fully rotatable. As for the baseplate, the ultraCage (http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/ultraCageHandheldRigs/ultraCageBlueforCanonC300) system was built hand in hand with Canon (http://store.redrockmicro.com/canon-eos-c300) and was used in all of the productions for the November 3rd release. It's built around our 15mm L/W baseplate, but as mentioned before it can be adapted to 19mm or 15mm Studio. All this makes it a truly versatile piece that will really live on the camera since it doesn't restrict access to any of it's features/buttons.

Cheers,

Loren Simons

alpi69
03-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Mattboxes are tricky. They vary from 299 to 1299 and more. But they have different styles as well.
I would look into it properly, because it also depends on your style: do you need 4x4 or 4x5.6 filters, do you use filters at all or just want a french flag,-----
Some can be clamped on the lenses, others are only on rods. The good ones swing away, the others need to be taken off to switch filters.

Redrock and Zacutomake good stuff, but are kinda pricey.

telecam
03-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Hi Loren,

I looked at your C300 UltraCage setup. What cold shoe accessory to you use to mount the C300 LCD/Audio assembly on the front of the UltraCage? Also, can the grip handle be used along the UltraCage?

Best,

Loren Simons
03-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Telecam,

We have an additional set of 15mm Rod clamps on the top of the unit, so you can attach the monitor via our cold shoe 15mm spud (http://store.redrockmicro.com/Cold-shoe-mounting-spud) (or any other accessory like a microHandGrip) to those rails.

About half way down on the ultraCage page (http://store.redrockmicro.com/canon-eos-c300), you can see the monitor rigged up like you were asking.

Cheers,

Loren Simons

alpi69
03-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Another way would be a magic arm. The ultracage has threads in the sides, so you can simply attach a short magic-arm, screw a coldshoe-mount on the ned and you are done.

Unfortunalety we have to wait several more weeks for the cage, but once it is here I will test a few options and let you know how what works.

renevdreiden
03-23-2012, 03:16 PM
camRade Raincover WS C300 is shipping in quantaties, ask any camRade dealer about this.

renevdreiden
03-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Is there a demand for ef to pl mount converter? We have one coming from Triad, see it at www.alphatron.tv

cowpunk52
03-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Is there a demand for ef to pl mount converter? We have one coming from Triad, see it at www.alphatron.tv (http://www.alphatron.tv)

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing this brought to market. Thanks for sharing!

alpi69
03-23-2012, 03:58 PM
camRade Raincover WS C300 is shipping in quantaties, ask any camRade dealer about this.

Got this rain cover and it is very nice. I am writing a review about some of the stuff for my new site (to be launched soon). So far this was one of the best accessories I got.
Fast to put on, covers the whole camera plus LCD if needed.

renevdreiden
03-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Got this rain cover and it is very nice. I am writing a review about some of the stuff for my new site (to be launched soon). So far this was one of the best accessories I got.
Fast to put on, covers the whole camera plus LCD if needed.

Great, by the way. Very nice ski video you have send us. Are you interesten in also testing our other C300 accessorirs?

alpi69
03-24-2012, 01:41 AM
I sent you a PM ;-)

John Raadgeep
03-24-2012, 05:43 AM
[QUOTE=telecam;1986093905]1. I have not found any rain cover specifically made for the C300 yet and the camera having such and odd shape, a specific cover will probably be to made
2. The PB-955 has plenty of power for the C300 and unless you need to run more than 3 hours on battery power and don't mind keeping the battery door open, the BP-975 should be terrific
4. I also really wish someone builds a compact XLR Audio module only with controls so I don't have to attached the all LCD/XLR unit for run and gun.
5. I thing Canon's EOS Support Program is still in the works. As a Canon CPS Platinum member, I am really frustrated to see that the C300 is not covered under this program and that existing CPS members would get not credit when signing up for the EOS Cinema's own support plan. Canon needs to bridge the two somehow.[/QUOTE