PDA

View Full Version : HPX250: HPX250 Shallow DoF

djkoz
02-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Is there any way with the HPX250 to get a more shallow DoF look? For example, are there adapter and/or lenses that can be somehow mounted on the front to yeild the same shallow depth of field looks one might get with a video DLSR?

Thanks,

Dan

Barry_Green
02-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Yes, you can use a Letus Ultimate or Extreme, or a Cinevate Brevis, or an SG Pro or any of a large number of 35mm DOF adapters.

djkoz
02-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks. I checked on the price and that is out of my league.

Danny1280
02-24-2012, 01:43 PM
There are tons of these for sale cheap and used in the marketplace. Check it out!

djkoz
02-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks, I did check out the web and there appear to be some that are only a few hundred dollars. But that raises a couple of questions:

1. Do I have to be concerned about a loss of image quality if I use one of these adapters?

2. If the film lens used on an adapter is fast, say f/1.4, but the built in less of the video camera is only f/3.5 (for example), I am assuming that with an adapter the maximum f/stop is still 3.5, or is it somehow reduced even further to, say, f/5.6.

3. With these adapters is it possible to achieve the same film type look that one would get with a Panasonic GH2?

Thanks,

Dan

Joe Media
02-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Hi Dan,
We've used the Letus Extreme before and they do produce quite a nice image. The image inherently will be softer due to the vibrating glass in the adapter but it allows for a more organic image without that super sharp video edge. My experience using this with the HVX200/Letus Extreme is that you must use fast glass with it. We used a Zeiss 50 1.4 and some older Nikkor f2 glass with beautiful results. I've actually got an extra adapter for sale if you're interested.

djkoz
02-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. At the moment my need is not immediate.

Dan

digitalgecko
03-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Is there any way with the HPX250 to get a more shallow DoF look? For example, are there adapter and/or lenses that can be somehow mounted on the front to yeild the same shallow depth of field looks one might get with a video DLSR?

Thanks,

Dan

The only problems I have heard with the 35mm adapters and the 250 is you don't get the full zoom range. The 22X zoom has some vignetting.