PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to direct but producing more...

jpbankesmercer
05-30-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm the original one man swat-filmmaker (Trying my best :thumbsup: )
Still learning about this crazy life but until I find that Producer-straight man to my fool. I'm having to line-produce, sales, blah, blah...just to get my work finished/ shown...Should I get help or continue doing it myself.
How do the other single Directors cope??

Jim Brennan
05-30-2005, 09:13 PM
I do it all too JP. What makes it work for me is lots of pre production. I plan it all out as best as I can. The hairiest time is on the set. I have people that I can tell "go take care of this", but usually I'm not sure they know what I really mean. It's not a control issue, it's just that, while they are enthusiastic, they are even more inexperienced than I. So I am often distracted by minutae when I should be working with actors or setting up a shot.

I am still searching for a good UPM, which I think will help a lot. The sad part is, that's the kind of stuff I am good at. I am better at producing than directing. But that's not what I want to do.

So until I find one (which would help my sanity as well as the end product tremendously), I'll just do the best I can and treat it all as a learning experience.

mrblue1022
05-30-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm in the same boat. I enjoy producing, but when I direct a project I would rather put most of my energy into that. I find it tough to find someone I could trust as producer, or even UPM for that matter, without being able to pay them.

Rob

Jim Brennan
05-30-2005, 09:40 PM
Sigh...yea, money sure can help.

craigbowman
05-30-2005, 11:56 PM
http://24.71.76.197/mentor/expenses.png

uhrgl
05-31-2005, 07:56 AM
It's tough to work with no budget. I second the post about preproduction, and another way to allow yourself to direct is to build a crew you can rely on. Delegate as much as possible and don't waste your time being a grip on your own set.

jpbankesmercer
05-31-2005, 08:05 AM
Tis true, get a good DP and PM.
Money? Whats that??
VJ I think doing it all yourself can teach you many things. I started working with bigger crews but still had to do the calls, begging, costumes till 4am the night before. What I need is to let go and just direct....ahem to myself.

BROKEN2005
05-31-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm the original one man swat-filmmaker (Trying my best :thumbsup: )
Still learning about this crazy life but until I find that Producer-straight man to my fool. I'm having to line-produce, sales, blah, blah...just to get my work finished/ shown...Should I get help or continue doing it myself.
How do the other single Directors cope??

Hey JP,

I am also a "do it yourself guy" as well but I got here by working with some very talent and experience people. If you have the chance to work with pros...do it! Learn as much as you can so you can be a more well rounded director.

God Luck!
Alex

jpbankesmercer
05-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Alex,
Did you have a Producer on broken?? How did you meet them.