PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Will the D4 lower the price of the EF C300?

Simon Shasha
01-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Let's say the video coming out of the D4's uncompressed HDMI looks stunning (high-resolution, no moire/aliasing, great low-light sensitivity), and given that it is full-frame, manual audio (with headphone jack), cool crop-factor function, and between 10 - 12 stops of dynamic-range (just guessing there) - all for $6000USD - do you guys think this may drop the price of Canon's EF C300? Though both cameras are not in direct competition in regards to design, they are ultimately both vying for the same crowd...what do you guys think?

Graham King
01-16-2012, 11:27 AM
The D4 release video looks like any other DSLR footage to me.

cowpunk52
01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
No

David W. Jones
01-16-2012, 12:46 PM
They didn't drop the price with the release of the Scarlet.

Simon Shasha
01-16-2012, 01:22 PM
The D4 release video looks like any other DSLR footage to me.

It's yet to be confirmed if the footage released thus far is from the D4's uncompressed HDMI, or internal recording.

JoeRawlins
01-16-2012, 01:29 PM
It seems out-of-character for Canon.

I think the c300 will die a slow death, if it dies at all. The big question is not how canon reacts to Nikon but how Canon will react to Canon. Remember, we're supposed to see a new Canon DSLR, like a 7D mkII or a whole new model with 4K, sometime in the near future.

Now that JVC's in the 4K game, I imagine the new DSLR meant to compete with that. So less than $5k for the body and maybe kit lens. Appropriately priced where JVC's interchangeable mount 4K model is slated to be around $10k but will shoot variable frame rates.

But then, I'm just speculating.

Noel Evans
01-16-2012, 02:22 PM
In short no. Two different products entirely. A monkey has legs but is not a human.

Graham King
01-16-2012, 02:45 PM
It's yet to be confirmed if the footage released thus far is from the D4's uncompressed HDMI, or internal recording.

Okay, I hadn't though of that. But the HDMI out of the 7D and 5D (not recording) isn't any sharper or more detailed right? I would expect blocking & banding from the internal compression but not a total downgrade of video quality down to iPhone levels.

StMad
01-16-2012, 03:02 PM
The D4 monkey appears impressive, perhaps the finest in the ape family. What I've seen so far doesn't speak to me however, and I'm waiting for a dslr to parrot the C300's curves and res.

The creators of WHY have in fact confirmed that it was shot to card, internally.