PDA

View Full Version : Mask or Face Paint

DDirector
01-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Um, I think I should be posting it here?

I have a script in the making, and its one exciting Thriller project I've been working on for a while. I have been wanting to have the guy (a crazy kidnapping man in simpler terms) wear a mask. But, I didn't want to go with the typical ski mask that robbers wear to hid his identity, but wanted something more creepy.

The 'Joker' from Batman or the old (latest) Michael Myers mask would have been awesome, but I don't want to copy that look as its popular and well known as the 'Joker'.
So, Ive been searching for some masks/designs and I found one. Its a great mask, its somewhat similar to the Joker look, but not exactly.

But its nothing special that I will need to buy the mask. Its not like in other movies where actual masks were needed: ex. Hockey Mask.
This one with some good makeup artists and special effects stuff can be accomplished.

But I wanted to know if having a latex mask with holes for the eyes and mouth seems creepier than having a face painted look like the Joker.

David W. Jones
01-15-2012, 06:14 AM
What ever you decide to do... Avoid a mask that may have a copyright to avoid being sued.

DDirector
01-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Yup. I'm on that, making sure I'm allowed to use it.

But I was just curious as to which method you think would be better, more creepy.
Its more of a personal thing, so I just want to know.

TheDingo
01-15-2012, 10:34 AM
I always find the creepiest look are masks that are not supposed to be creepy ( i.e. like the head from a chicken costume ) but are somehow visually f*cked up ( i.e. blood from a gunshot wound staining the eyes of the chicken mask, and the blood keeps getting worse as the movie progresses ), giving you the impression that the person wearing it is seriously messed up.

clang
01-15-2012, 09:11 PM
I think that mask would look very creepy if painted in naturalistic colours, i.e. looking like an ordinary person at first glance - only at second glance does the audience (and other cast members) realise it must be a mask.