PDA

View Full Version : 2 Emmy nominations.... thank you DVX USER!!!

tco
05-27-2005, 02:30 PM
A news package I shot on the DVX was nominated for two Emmy awards, one for photography the other for editing. I just have to say that there is no way I could have got up to speed and comfortable with my DVX without reading these boards. The story was about a guy who has muscular dystrophy but also happens to be a champion bike racer. I will post a link to the story if anyone is interested. I'm just really exited about being nominated and very grateful to This web site with all of the great advice and humor. Thank you all!!! and thanks to Jan for her great work and to panasonic for such a great camera!!

Phil Brown
05-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Congratulations on the Emmy nominations - great stuff!

I'm sure I'm like many others who would like to look at the link if you can post it.

Keep it up - we love hearing DVX success stories.

Phil

tco
05-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks Phil,
I should have the link up in a few days. It is so awsome being able to tell stories and have a high production value without having "high end" gear. Have fun down there in OZ I love that place, been there many times.

maverickprods
05-27-2005, 08:30 PM
you can nominate your own program or yourself for an emmy, as long as you are part of the production team or you are a participant.

Alexa
05-27-2005, 09:40 PM
yes, post a link someday! great news.

Barry_Green
05-28-2005, 01:04 AM
you can nominate your own program or yourself for an emmy, as long as you are part of the production team or you are a participant.
Look up your local chapter's entry guidelines. Start at www.emmyonline.org (http://www.emmyonline.org), and follow the links to your chapter.

tco
05-28-2005, 04:44 AM
No one can nominate themselves for an Emmy. anyone can enter in any catagory. Entries are sent to a different television market to be judged, and nominated. That is how it works.

Walter_Graff
05-28-2005, 07:23 AM
I think he meant anyone involved in the production can enter.

maverickprods
05-28-2005, 07:42 AM
5. Producers may enter their programs for
nominations in all categories. Individuals may enter
themselves (and their team, if the entry is fachievement) for specific individual awards.

9. It is often the case that an agent, a manager, a
studio, a production company or a broadcast entity
will facilitate the entry by filling out the form, but the
individual who is listed as the "eligible entrant" is
considered by the Academade the entry.

These are two direct quotes from the Academy website.

YES you can enter yourself for an emmy. In fact had my producers known that there was a category for stunt coordinating, I would have been entered.
That being said, I think that is it wonderful that tco has been nominated for TWO emmy's. Kudo's to you tco. I most certainly hope that you win. The emmy does transfer into cash for the future.
A very close friend of mine has won two and she is in high demand as a choreographer.

Walter_Graff
05-28-2005, 08:08 AM
<The emmy does transfer into cash for the future.
A very close friend of mine has won two and she is in high demand as a choreographer.>

I disagree with that statement. Perhaps she is just good at what she does. Funny how this is the only industry where nepotism and ego still rule. You don't pick a lawyer because he has copies of his best closing statements on his wall or a doctor because his office has pictures of his most successful operations. Only in this industry do we make ourselves more important than our clients work. Its what killed advertising in this country. Everyone was making commercials not to sell products but to win awards. And because of it advertising became art. Once it becomes art it becomes ineffective. I used to do commercials with probably the most respected commerical director in the industry. One day at lunch I asked him how come he never wins any awards. He looked at me and said very plainly that awards are bought not earned and he never earned one. Then asked me how much in demand he was. I said he could do anything he wanted. And his reply; "what did awards do for me?" Now years later after helping see such award programs as the NY Festivals Awards come to be and having judged Emmys for years, let alone having been in the awards system, I see what he means and see what the awards system is, mostly a group of people that need work so create awards to make a living off others egos. Not trying to take anything away form this person who was nominated, just saying that awards are nice but let your work speak for itself. That will be your only award and judge of your work. A few years ago one of my partners said, you know what we need, awards. We have very few awards. It might be good to enter and win a few as it may help business. I was not in agreement but went along with the idea. We entered three and won three the first year. The next year four more. It confirmed how silly the awards system is to me as they will take anyones money and give nearly everyone some recognition so they come back for more. Do yourself a favor, work towards making the best work you can. Awards are nice but in the end people hire you for your skill, not a piece of tin on your shelf. In my twenty years, no one ever hired me because of my awards and I have everything from a Grammy to an Ace although I never entered my name for either, someone else did and I never picked up the award. And the great thing about awards is once you win you can buy more statues and even change what the statues say. They don't care, they just want your money. We did it as a joke one year with the Telly Awards, asking for statues and engraving what we wanted on them then giving them away. People hire me because of my ability. I don't know a friend who differs in why they get hired. My friend Matt called me the other day. He directs the program Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. He told me he won another Emmy. I said that was great. I n reality I thought, and what does that get you? He's already directing many shows at ABC and not a single job he got had anything to do with winning an award. Anyone can win an award. at the end of the day they mean most to you and little to someone else, unless they think awards are the bomb. But if they do, odds are good they have little to do with this industry and think its just all glamorous. I'm happy you were nominated, but more happy that you did a good work and are proud of what you already accomplished.

Here is something I wrote a while back.

http://www.film-and-video.com/broadcastvideoexamples-awards.html

maverickprods
05-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Walter, you can disagree all day long, but the fact is, that if she wasn't good at what she does, she wouldn't have won the emmy's. The next fact is that her rates went up because of the demand. It is another showcase of work. Having won two emmy awards and having those on the resume' will probably get you the interview before someone without them.
As far as being hired, in Hollywood, it isn't what you know, it is who you know. If you have a good working relationship with producers, directors and specifically UPM's. You will work nearly non-stop. Right now in Hollywood there is a trend toward hiring younger and younger people to be department heads, and that comes from younger and younger directors.
I had a UPM ask me why we gave stunt adjustments and how I figured them out. This is a person that is supposed to know how money is spent and why.

Hiring someone with 20-30 years experience is happening less and less.
An award doesn't do much for anyone other than a good feeling and a great doorstop.

Check this out though. There are Academy awards for nearly everything in every department EXCEPT STUNTS. The explanation is this "stunts are considered neither an art, nor a science".
When was the last time you saw a movie that didn't have a stunt in it?

Walter_Graff
05-28-2005, 08:36 AM
>Walter, you can disagree all day long, but the fact is, that if she wasn't good at what >she does, she wouldn't have won the emmy's.

I know many people very well qualified who don't enter for Emmys. Is there work not as good? All an Emmy means is that for those few you competed against, your work was noted. I used to vote for Emmys and may times there are a couple of people in a category and most suck and one or two good.

>The next fact is that her rates went up because of the demand. It is another showcase of work.

You said it, demand. I doubt folks wanted her because of an Emmy. If you think so then so be it but its ridiculous.

>Having won two emmy awards and having those on the resume' will probably get you the interview before someone without them.

Sorry but this is an absurd statement. Awards get you no where in an interview. If they were important, you would put "Awards, recognition" at the top of a resume, not at the bottom as an afterthought.

>As far as being hired, in Hollywood, it isn't what you know, it is who you know. If you have a good working relationship with producers, directors and specifically UPM's. You will work nearly non-stop. Right now in Hollywood there is a trend toward hiring younger and younger people to be department heads, and that comes from younger and younger directors.

And none of what you said has anything to do with awards.

>Hiring someone with 20-30 years experience is happening less and less.

Thats also ridiculous.

>An award doesn't do much for anyone other than a good feeling and a great doorstop.

Smartest thing you said!

maverickprods
05-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Walter, you may have a lot of experience and I defer to you and your knowledge.
I guess I'm not quite as smart as you are........

Walter_Graff
05-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Walter, you may have a lot of experience and I defer to you and your knowledge.
I guess I'm not quite as smart as you are........

Hey I certainly don't know everything but I've been through all of this and yes, this is were the old man has wisdom. I've heard this adage about how everyone hires younger and younger and frankly thats not true. Well it is, but they've always hired younger and older too. All those old directors that are famous now? All were hired young, usually when they were just starting out. It's kind of like saying that we live allot longer now than we did 200 years ago. Not really. If you take away infant mortality rates, fact is folks 200 years ago lived as long as we do now. Look at the signers of the declaration of independence. Take away the one guy who died at 55 from an accident and the average age of the group was no different than folks live today, and even longer. A few examples of famous folks of the times; Jefferson 83, Washington 67, Sam Adams 81, John Adams 91, Franklin 84, See if you survived the first five years of life, odds were good you'd survive to 25 and if you made it past then, odds were good you'd live into your eighties. It was poor sanitation that caused many problems and made for huge infant mortality then. Actually had less to do with medicine than sanitation practices or lack of them that helped disease kill young infants.

Problem is perception and perception is often assumption and assumption is always bad. As they say assume and you make an ass out of 'u' and 'me'.

awards are great but I can tell you of 100 people well known in the industry who have a shelf of awards and not a single one will tell you an award ever got them work, but rather that the work they got the award for did.

maverickprods
05-28-2005, 09:50 AM
"I've heard this adage about how everyone hires younger and younger and frankly thats not true. Well it is, but they've always hired younger and older too."

Walter, I have been working in Hollywood for over 20 years. I know several boatloads of people that couldn't buy a job with a pack of hundreds in their pocket, and most of them are over 40, and all of them are talented and knowledgeable, and several of them have emmy's. They just aren't working and it is happening all over our industry.

You're right that the work should get you the job, not the award. Case in point, Ben Affleck got an Oscar, and he couldn't act his way out of a wet paper sack. Granted he got it for writing, but it certainly opened up a lot of doors, and what has he written since "Good Will Hunting"?
He is extremely wealthy. Do you think that he would be wealthy without the Academy award?
I think not....

Neil Rowe
05-28-2005, 09:57 AM
http://www.funforalltoys.com/products/just_for_fun_6/rockem_sockem_robots/rckmsckm1.jpg

Walter_Graff
05-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Walter, I have been working in Hollywood for over 20 years. I know several boatloads of people that couldn't buy a job with a pack of hundreds in their pocket, and most of them are over 40, and all of them are talented and knowledgeable, and several of them have emmy's. They just aren't working and it is happening all over our industry.

You're right that the work should get you the job, not the award. Case in point, Ben Affleck got an Oscar, and he couldn't act his way out of a wet paper sack. Granted he got it for writing, but it certainly opened up a lot of doors, and what has he written since "Good Will Hunting"?
He is extremely wealthy. Do you think that he would be wealthy without the Academy award?
I think not....

I don't disagree with your first statement. My point is that it's always been that way. As you get older if you don't have yourself entrenched and in the loop yo don't work. We keep hearing they are hiring younger, but thats always been. THe system is about getting in young and making your way up the ladder. Kind of like when folks say education is not like it used to be. For the last hundred years we've been saying that.

As for the Oscars, its probably the only award that can get you somewhere, mostly because the brand is so strong that folks believe it makes for talent. But that is the purpose of an awards organization, to get as much recognition and clout as possible guaranteeing the folks that own it a lucrative job. I watched that first hand with the creation of the NY festivals. But every year look how many talented people are snubbed at the Oscars. Once again its about nepotism, not talent. Although my friend was nominated in documentary last year and she's not any better off this year. Probably has more to do with her though.

maverickprods
05-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Yup, I know all about that "entrenching" stuff. I had several different UPM's I worked for, directors too. It seemed like they all retired at the same time. Couple the retirements with Canada and runaway production and you have unemployment and wolves at the door that don't go away.
And believe me, I don't for a moment think that if I got an emmy award for my work that it would get me any further up the ladder. The statuette and 2 bucks will get me a cup of coffee.
I was just relating a story of what happened to a friend of mine when she won two seperate emmys. Her asking price went up and she received numerous job offers.
All of this dialogue because I wished tco well and hoped it translated into cash. I should have put the effort into making phone calls and looking for my next job. (heh, heh)

tco
05-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Walter you are a wise man. You remind me of a couple of the "old school" guys in the San Diego market. Truth be told, I feel kind of like an ass for posting that I got nominated. People who know me see me as a humble guy who is quick to complement others. I am happy about these nominations for two main reasons: 1) The story of Ryan Levinson has brought ALOT of attention to adult onset Muscular dystrophy AND it showed that hard work, persaverance and a good heart still count for something.
2) It is so amazing to me still, that a $3,500 camera can shoot such beautiful pictures, people from other stations including producers asked how I got that "look". It was the dvx of course.
Sure, I would like an Emmy, but more than anything I like the work I do. I don't shoot tv news for the money, I do it because I love people and like telling thier stories. I am proud of alot of my work but this is the first year I have sent an entry in, I have been shooting full time going on only three years, I was an editor for a year and a half prior to that. This is a tough business and we see people at thier absolute worst and at thier best as well. All these awards really mean is that our peers thought we got our stories right, whether from a technical or artistic standpoint. I hope to have my link up by tuesday, I really want to hear your opinion on the story if you have time. Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Walter_Graff
05-28-2005, 04:21 PM
I should have put the effort into making phone calls and looking for my next job. (heh, heh)

And that was the point of my story about the person who was nominated for the Oscar. The fact that she was nominated for the oscar didn't get her any work. It should have been her marketing herself based on the nomination. Se awards are nice but they really don't do much unless you capitalize. I would say that Matt Damien was able to get places because of a good agent who worked the floor using the Oscar node and his contacts. Just like Ben Stiller, one of the unfunniest people I have ever seen, but has a great rep who knows how to get him the roles. Life is always first about who you know not necessarily what you know. SOmeone I know well is a perfect example. He was never really talented but lucked into some executive producer roles in television. ANd best of all this guy could sell you any concept. Yet he went on to EP about four national Tv shows only to have each one fail. Eventually they figured him out and now he only has a development deal with one of the big distributers. THats what happens to the untalented, you'll always hear the phrase "they struck a development deal". That means they suck but the company is afraid to get rid of them because they think there is some sort of possibility that they may strike gold or some allegiance in the ranks. Imagine if all businesses were like that. We'd all be broke. And if its not about that, its making decisions against what everyone tells you is right because you are talented and the industry which is made up of insecure, untalented people is afraid of you cause you are a rebel and smarter than them. Look what happened to Eastwood with Million Dollar Baby. The movie company he was with for years laughed at him and didn't want to release it because they said boxing films never make money. Boy were they wrong. So Clint has now shown them they are idiots and their loss is that he has broken all ties with them.

Walter_Graff
05-28-2005, 04:39 PM
"Truth be told, I feel kind of like an ass for posting that I got nominated. "

No yo should be proud. Proud cause you did nice job and finally feel llike someone recognized it. It's not that Emmys are bad, just that they are mostly pats on the back. Nothing worng with patting yourself on th back. I've won afew and am proud of it, but more proud that I did agood job rather than the fact that someone wanted my money first to see if I qualified then more of my money to give me an "award" for my work. If you didn't read teh article I linked to, thats how awards work. Anyone can enter most awards as long as yo have the $100-$400 entry fee. ANd when you win, you get a piece of paper saying you won. WHat no trophy? No, for that you have to pay. ANd if you want more for others to share the victory, they have to pay the $125-$350 for their award too. It's a gimmick started by folks who couldn't make it in the record business. (Inside joke saying that record company people are scum). I watched one company make a now well respected award program. The first year it was to get as many entries as possible. And every year after that the only concentration was to get as many entries as possible. THats how they make money. I remember meetings listening to them talk about strategy and never was anyone concerned with quality of any entries work, only that if they could reach their goal of 80,000 entries they could gross $10 million dollars. At that point they dare still charge you to pay for the "award" you won. Some award system. Tell you what tco, I haven't seen your work, but would like to. Can you post some? I'll bet its great like some of the great work others have posted here. Nicest award for me is to have someone see my work and say they thought it looked great. And that cost me nothing, but I gained true honest unsolicited admiration from my peers, not a phony system where "judges" are begged to judge (as they did with me for years with the Emmys) only to have me skip through tapes (not supposed to) because it was clear most entries sucked. And who bennifited? Lets see, you as an entrant paid to enter. Then you got some sort of award, maybe not first, but silver, or bronze or some other place that keeps everyone coming back next year to enter more. But to get that award you had to pay more. ANd if you wanted to get more statues you had to pay even more because while others deserve them in your group, awards are bought, not earned. ANd what did it cost you? Maybe $450 in the end, maybe more maybe less. And who benefits as your "award" sits on a shelf, the guy who runs the award show who spends four months out of the year living off the proceeds in his beach house trying to think of more ways to get the number of entries up so he can eventually sell the show to some outfit for eight times what its worth. Thats where many of these film festivals that seem to be in every corner of the planet come from too, from the Walla Walla film festival to the Cleveland Department of Sanitation Film festival. Same former record company guys making lots of money off folks who have the best intentions and work real hard to make a piece of work only to pay for it twice. Most folks don't really benefit, only the guys who collect the checks do. Your milage may vary. Here is something most folks don't know, anyone can be nominated for a noble prize. All you need to do is have a member of any national legislature or government or university professor send a letter nominating you. Do that and then you can officially tell folks you were nominated for a Noble. Each year about 450 people run for president. Bet you didn't know that. All you need to do is fill out the forms and you to can be an official presidential candidate. Thats one reason why so many do. Looks good on a resume or should I say its a conversation starter with a potential employer.

tco
05-28-2005, 05:09 PM
You know what? I think I'm going to run for president. Um... no. Well I agree with the money thing, but I am lucky in that my station picked up the cost of my entries, of course I used my own gear to shoot and edit the pack. The Pacific Southwest chapter charges us about 90 a year and entries vary from 45 bucks up to 200 I think. But, if you win they give you the statue at no cost, BUT anyone else has to pay 125 I think. And you know what? I just got a letter from the Emmy people saying that for 55 bucks they will give me a plaque of my nomination?! Well, I only want the statue if I win, but it is interesting how they're hawking these "nomination plaques" You know, San Diego might as well be on a different planet because it just seems like everyone in the business is pretty cool here, I grew up in LA and can tell you that when those guys come down here to shoot a story they are just total dicks. I've heard thier NATAS chapter is that way too. Well thanks again man, I'm going to go shoot a story about a marine coming home with no legs tommorow, his story transcends any award and I'm gonna make it sing, the few people that watch the news this weekend are going to know what Memorial day is all about. You have solid advice, take care and I will post a link soon, I just need the web space.

maverickprods
05-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Walter,
You sound a tad "bitter". So you don't like awards....we got that part. You're a bit cranky, and it seems, a bit jaded. You've got a lot of experience, and you do a good job lighting stuff. Why don't you let other people have their opinions? I guess we should follow and keep our mouths shut.....
there doesn't seem to be any percentage in "rocking the boat". When I grow up, I want to be just like you.

Walter_Graff
05-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Walter,
You sound a tad "bitter". So you don't like awards....we got that part. You're a bit cranky, and it seems, a bit jaded. You've got a lot of experience, and you do a good job lighting stuff. Why don't you let other people have their opinions? I guess we should follow and keep our mouths shut.....
there doesn't seem to be any percentage in "rocking the boat". When I grow up, I want to be just like you.

I never said anyone shouldn't have their opinions. Only here did I say that one post had some far-reaching assumptions cause thats what they were in my book. If you think awards are great, please by all means enter as many as you can. Just don't go around telling folks that its going to get you more work because I can give you over 200 years of collective experience from 10 of the best in the field right now not including myself that will tell you it isn't. I seem to sometimes be the curmudgeon when all I am is the realist often stopping assumptions before they become fact. It's great to win awards, helps make folks feel validated for their work. Nothing wrong with that, just offering another perspective on awards that folks don't consider. Call me bitter, or whatever makes you feel good, I'm just speaking from my experience. Yours may vary and thats great and welcome by me. So when you grow up, be who you want to be, don't try to be like me. :)

maverickprods
05-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Well Walter, that last post was actually a decent one. In most of your posts today to me, you were condescending and rude. I, personally, don't care about award shows. I started out by saying that you could enter yourself into the Emmy's. Nobody really knew whether you could or not, until I posted rules 5 and 9.
I've been around the block a time or two in the film and television industry, and am a curmudgeon myself. I just don't like being called "ignorant or stupid" by anyone, even if those words weren't used specifically, you implied them.
I have over 400 credits in film and television, am a DGA 2nd unit director and was writing about personal knowledge with people that I am involved with. This started as information about Emmy entries, progressed to hoping toc got an Emmy and escalated into something fairly ugly with you. The problem is that having been a stuntman for over 20 years, when someone calls me out, I respond accordingly.
I really honestly could care less about anyone winning any kind of award, I have had waaaayyy too many actors take credit for what I, or the people working for me have done.
I like coming to this forum for the knowledge and information available, and that really is the bottom line.
I hope that this hasn't left a bitter taste in TOC's mouth about awards. I still hope he wins and it translates into real dollars.................

Barry_Green
05-29-2005, 03:19 AM
TCO,

Being nominated is an excellent achievement. Actually winning is, as they say, "the bomb". You can certainly translate that achievement into getting more work. Having the award is like having an ace up your sleeve -- two guys go competing for the same job, and their work is about comparable, but one of them is an Emmy winner? That will influence people to choose them, no matter what. If their work isn't comparable, then that's a different story -- nobody'd hire someone with a lousy reel but with an award on their shelf. However, just being an Emmy nominee says that your work's pretty darn good, so that shouldn't be an issue.

There are a lot of awards that appear to be somewhat bogus -- I've been running a thread on my experience with entering the competitions, just to see what's legit and what's a trophy mill (i.e., the "award" is meaningless, they exist just to collect entry fees). The Emmy is most definitely not a trophy mill, it's in a class by itself. It's got worldwide recognition, and in video work it's just about the highest level you can aspire to (the others being maybe the Oscar or the Clio, etc). Plus, unlike almost all the other awards competitions, you don't have to buy your own statue!

Congratulations on your nominations, and we wish you the best of luck at winning!

tco
05-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks Barry and I also wish to thank you for your book. My tv station is talking about getting a dvx100a and I told them to go through a dealer where they get the book, which is like the Bible of the dvx. This site is priceless! Thanks again and I hope to have a post soon!

Jarred Land
05-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Congrats.. much deserved!

Moonwind
05-30-2005, 04:10 PM
tco-
Being nominated for an Emmy is an accomplishment in itself! DO NOT EVEN think that about yourself (feeling like an ass)! Those that should feel like asses are those that have tried to make you feel less about yourself and your work (envy maybe?). I, personally, am GLAD you posted that you have two nominations ... it gives me hope that we, too, will someday receive the same honor! (Please!!!!!!) So - CONGRATS and keep up the good work! And post that link ASAP!

Sumfun
06-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Winning awards doesn't make you better, but it does make you feel better because some of your peers thought that your work was good enough to recognize. Hopefully these good feelings will encourage you to become better at your craft. Also, the awards are a good marketing tool, and you can use them to get more customers.

So congratulations TCO.

Neil Rowe
06-08-2005, 01:08 PM
definite congrats in order here. keep up the good work!

tco
06-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys,
can anyone tell me where I can post this package I shot? My personal web page is not up yet, and I dont have enough space on my provders "free" area. thanks alot!

Walter_Graff
06-15-2005, 04:38 PM
I'll post it for you if you'd like.

seunosewa
07-06-2008, 08:02 AM
If one can nominate ones-self, how can being nominated be an accomplishment? I'm confused.