PDA

View Full Version : EOS or PL

chatrapal
01-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Which one will be better?
Considering

If one has good amount EF lenses
Lots of Arri Lenses can be rented cheaply in India
If PL to EOS adapter is considered for EOS mount, due to thing Flange depth can be issue for Arri Lenses on C300, which i think is mirrorless?
What other factors one should consider choosing between this two versions?

Gary Huff
01-08-2012, 04:56 PM
If you have a wide selection of EF lenses already, it seems like the EOS mount will be the better option.

GaryinCalifornia
01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Aren't the cinema lens coming in EF... $6,800... but thought I read once that some lower priced primes are coming... that would be perfect... complete with CP2's... so if I pulled the trigger... probably go with the EF and then over time had the cinema lens...

J Davis
01-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Get EOS mount, you can always get an EOS to PL adapter because there is no mirror, then use rails to support the lens

this way you have the option to shoot both

Gary Huff
01-08-2012, 05:38 PM
That's true. You can get Zeiss CP.2s in EF mount.

dustylense
01-08-2012, 06:07 PM
EOS without a doubt! You can put EF mount cine lenses on the C300 but not a Eos on a PL.

nothing
01-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Most PL mount primes (every one I've personally tried plus more tried by friends) will not fit on an EF to PL adapter regardless of mirror - the bore in the adapter is too small to accommodate the rear of the PL mount. There are replacement Canon PL mounts with larger bores available that require removing the EF mount altogether, but I have not seen one for the c300 yet and the DSLR versions do not appear to share the same screw hole pattern.

All PL mount zooms I've tried work fine with the simple EF to PL adapter. The Lightweight Angenieux Optimos are fabulous on APS-C Canons.

eBay seller ciecio7 is the best source for PL adapters.

CP.2 lenses are the worst PL mount primes I've ever worked with, and I've worked with them all. Chromatic aberrations, the strangest focus scale ever, and a just plain off-feeling physical build - I recommend against them.

The PL mount C300 will be a hot rental item. The EF mount C300 will be bought by hobbyists and regretted. Don't let ownership of a couple of thousand dollars worth of lenses cripple a 20k purchase.

greenheron
01-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Definitely the EOS version. You can use your EF lenses and always rent these:
http://cinemaeos.usa.canon.com/products.php?type=Lens&model=C300

These are amazing lenses.

Gary Huff
01-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Sexy.

David W. Jones
01-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Well I will not be purchasing the Canon C300, but if I was it would be with a PL mount.
I really think Canon missed the mark by not implementing all of the electronic controls into the C300 that their EF mount lenses are capable of.

All the Best!

Dave

dustylense
01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Well I will not be purchasing the Canon C300, but if I was it would be with a PL mount.
I really think Canon missed the mark by not implementing all of the electronic controls into the C300 that their EF mount lenses are capable of.

All the Best!

Dave
Such as?...

David W. Jones
01-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Focus and exposure are only manual as they have omitted auto focus, auto exposure, as well as shutter priority and aperture priority modes from the C300, along with AWB function.
This may be of no big deal to some, but the only advantage to using electronic controllable EF mount Canon glass in my opinion, is the ability to use the electronic functions.
Without this you might as well use PL mount Cine glass with proper focus throws.

All the Best!

Dave

Jim Martin
01-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Focus and exposure are only manual as they have omitted auto focus, auto exposure, as well as shutter priority and aperture priority modes from the C300, along with AWB function.
This may be of no big deal to some, but the only advantage to using electronic controllable EF mount Canon glass in my opinion, is the ability to use the electronic functions.
Without this you might as well use PL mount Cine glass with proper focus throws.

All the Best!

Dave
This has been gone over before......Canon interviewed 150+ ASC members.....they as a group, don't use auto anything.....and this camera was aimed at them and anyone else trying to shoot features & television.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Barry_Green
01-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Jim, do you know the answer to the initial question: can you use a PL->Canon adapter on the EOS-mount version of the C300, successfully?

Obviously the idea would be to have the best of both worlds -- PL mount with the adapter, and take the adapter off to have EOS mount.

I know it's a tricky situation with the Canon DSLRs, because of the presence of the mirror and whatnot. But physical mount adapters do exist (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-PL-movie-lens-Canon-EOS-5D-MKII-7D-/370540101057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5645e93dc1)and the C300 doesn't have a mirror assembly in there, so ... is it a practical idea? Is the cavity in the C300's body big enough to support PL primes?

nothing
01-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Jim...

I'm not Jim but this is something I have experience with ;)

PL primes don't fit EOS adapters, period, no matter what body they are on - the inside bore of the adapter at the point where it fits in the EF mount is the issue. Primes all have more steel on the back of the mount than zooms, for some reason. A little lathe time on the lens mount would fix it, certainly, since this does seem to be unneeded extra material.

The other option is a mount replacement rather than a simple adapter - like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Angenieux-Cooke-S4-Zeiss-RED-ARRI-PL-EOS-7D-60D-T3i-550D-600D-T2i-adapter-/260885516105). Unfortunately the DSLR versions won't fit the C300 due to different screw patterns.

Without a mirror, there is nothing else in the way. So the question is, will somebody make one of these replacement mounts for the C300?

David W. Jones
01-09-2012, 04:14 PM
This has been gone over before......Canon interviewed 150+ ASC members.....they as a group, don't use auto anything.....and this camera was aimed at them and anyone else trying to shoot features & television.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Hence my reply about using PL glass.

greenheron
01-09-2012, 05:30 PM

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Agree completely Jim. All the cameras I have used for broadcast work I have only used manual focus and exposure. And I am looking forward to using the Canon EF and Cinema lenses on the EF version of the C300.

indiawilds
01-15-2012, 07:45 AM

All the Best!

Dave
Using shutter priority and aperture priority is not a good idea. Especially when you are filming outdoors. For eg. if you there are trees in the background and the branches are swaying, the camera meter would read the light differently and the aperture will keep on changing. Your colorist will go crazy with such footage. I don't know why someone will use aperture priority, as in a similar situation as described in the previous sentence, the shutter will change.

Auto exposure: They could have given, so that one could have used it as an indication or starting point. However, this being designed for the serious filmmakers, they chose to ignore it.

I have no idea if they could have used Auto focus. If having a autofocus means the camera continues to do fine adjustments in focusing, then it can appear awful. It is not easy to film wildlife scenes without autofocus, however, I would prefer that rather than one which jitters.

David W. Jones
01-15-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm well aware of priority modes and auto focus issues and the like, as I've been shooting for nearly 40 years.
I was simply pointing out that the C300 lacks these features, and that the only advantage to using EF mount glass aside from one already owning a Boatload, is the ability to use the electronic features. Otherwise it makes more sense to go with a PL mount and cine glass.

All the Best!

Dave

jw2700
01-15-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm well aware of priority modes and auto focus issues and the like, as I've been shooting for nearly 40 years.
I was simply pointing out that the C300 lacks these features, and that the only advantage to using EF mount glass aside from one already owning a Boatload, is the ability to use the electronic features. Otherwise it makes more sense to go with a PL mount and cine glass.

All the Best!

Dave

Unless you have actually had one of these cameras in your hands and discovered how well balanced they are.

With heavy PL glass you would lose that advantage. Also, the IS function is a huge asset on the EF lenses when mounted to the C300. Chromatic information is electronically read from the EF lenses.

David W. Jones
01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
I don't do a ton of handheld, but on a tripod or shoulder mount I use an Arri dovetail with extended slider so balance is a non-issue.
And I have many PL mount lenses on the light weight side as well as brutes.

indiawilds
01-16-2012, 07:02 AM
I feel having separate mounts is a brilliant strategy. People who are moving up from the still side or who have good still glasses will be able to use the EF mount. With canon launching cine lenses, the adoption of cine lenses of canon will increase. It is a no brainer that if I have a C300 with EF mount, I will buy a Canon Cine lens, rather than a PL lens. It is assuming that the Cine lenses by Canon will be of very good quality (I haven't tested any of those yet. I will definitely when one is available with Canon India).

Having said that, a production company that is already owning and/or renting PL lenses, will find it convenient to go for the C300 with a PL mount. Having said that there are enough number of small production companies and/or individuals with a dream in their heart, who want to use the C300 with their existing canon L series lenses to reduce the cost for lower budget productions. This will push adoption of the EF mount C300. I can stick my neck out to predict that it is the C300 with EF mount which will sell more.

In my previous response, I was just pointing out the fallacy of using Shutter priority or Aperture priority in certain situations while filming. I do still photography using a Canon EOS 1D Mark IV and I use aperture priority and shutter priority as well as manual as per the situation. However, for filming, it is better to use manual mode. Our perspectives vary, as most of us have pretty diverse backgrounds.

All the Best!

Dave

J Davis
01-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Price is another advantage for using still glass. Actually its the main advantage

Erik Naso
01-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Tough call on the mount. If I was spending $16K I want the right mount for sure. I'm not buying but if I was I would wait for a definitive answer on the EOS to PL adapter. That would be my choice.

nothing
01-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Tough call on the mount. If I was spending $16K I want the right mount for sure. I'm not buying but if I was I would wait for a definitive answer on the EOS to PL adapter. That would be my choice.

My answer on that IS definitive, backed by much experience in the matter. Do you mean wait for availability of a replacement mount?

Erik Naso
01-20-2012, 06:26 PM
I would get the EF mount only if I could use a PL adapter on it. My gut tells me I’m going in that direction for my next camera so I’m buying PL lenses. The only electronic feature I like in the EF lens is image stabilization. That would be really handy for smooth handheld walking shots. I have three EF lens and none of them are fast but all “L".

When its available for rent you bet I’m going to try one out.

indiawilds
01-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Larry Thorpe in an interview has said that Canon feels that the EF mount version of C300 will sell more than the PL mount version. You can find details in this link:

http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/news/2012/01/larry-thorpe-on-the-canon-c300/ (http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/news/2012/01/larry-thorpe-on-the-canon-c300/)

I feel having separate mounts is a brilliant strategy. People who are moving up from the still side or who have good still glasses will be able to use the EF mount. With canon launching cine lenses, the adoption of cine lenses of canon will increase. It is a no brainer that if I have a C300 with EF mount, I will buy a Canon Cine lens, rather than a PL lens. It is assuming that the Cine lenses by Canon will be of very good quality (I haven't tested any of those yet. I will definitely when one is available with Canon India).

Having said that, a production company that is already owning and/or renting PL lenses, will find it convenient to go for the C300 with a PL mount. Having said that there are enough number of small production companies and/or individuals with a dream in their heart, who want to use the C300 with their existing canon L series lenses to reduce the cost for lower budget productions. This will push adoption of the EF mount C300. I can stick my neck out to predict that it is the C300 with EF mount which will sell more.

Barry_Green
01-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Well, they may think it's a "brilliant strategy", but it's already cost them at least one sale. I'd get an EF version if it was able to use a PL adapter, but with the forced choice of one or the other, I think sixteen grand is too much to bet to potentially end up on the wrong side of the table.

With the AF100 I can use Canon, Nikon, m43, or PL lenses. With the FS100 you can use Canon, Nikon, Alpha, e-mount, or PL lenses. With the F3 you can use Nikon, Canon, PL, etc.

Even the Red Epic and Scarlet allow you to change the camera's mount to use Canon, Nikon, or PL.

But Canon doesn't. They make you buy an entirely different camera, at another $16,000 (or more, we don't even know what the PL version will be!) to get PL compatibility. And, of course, the EF version won't let you use any other type of lenses other than Canon lenses (and maybe Nikon, I guess that remains to be verified but I presume Nikon mount will work).

Making two separate cameras with mutually incompatible mounts is confusing the marketplace. And the most basic rule of marketing is: "A confused mind says no." So right now, as-is, I'm looking at the C300, I like a lot of what I see, but I just have to say no.

bruceallen
01-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Which one will be better?
Considering

If one has good amount EF lenses
Lots of Arri Lenses can be rented cheaply in India
If PL to EOS adapter is considered for EOS mount, due to thing Flange depth can be issue for Arri Lenses on C300, which i think is mirrorless?
What other factors one should consider choosing between this two versions?

If someone makes a good PL-to-C300-EF mount adapter the EF version might be the one to get.

This may well be possible - but for now we have to wait and see.

Personally I'd just email Illya at Hotrod Cameras (or the guys at Solid Camera or MBF or wherever else - there are many) if I were you.

If they can do it, they will! But yeah... make sure someone else tests it out first. It would suck if it didn't work with your favorite lenses, or messed up backfocus, etc.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com (http://www.boacinema.com)

Barry_Green
01-21-2012, 12:45 PM
If someone makes a good PL-to-C300-EF mount adapter the EF version might be the one to get.That's the false hope red herring I chased after for a while too, but it appears it just isn't possible.

I looked into existing PL adapters for EF mounts, and what I saw shows a maximum bore of 46mm. That's too small to take many prime lenses. I have an entire set of Compact Primes, and not a single one of them would fit through a 46mm hole.

I imagine it might be possible for someone like AllStar to design a totally new front for the C300 that would have an interchangeable mount, but so far they haven't even been able to do that for the Red, the AllStar interchangeable mount can support just about any mount *except* Canon EF.

But in general, I no longer believe it will be possible for anyone to build an adapter that could adapt an EF-mount C300 to take PL lenses (other than some limited selection of zooms). And it is definitely impossible for anyone to build an adapter that could adapt a PL-mount C300 to take EF-mount lenses. About the only prospect is if someone re-engineered the front of the camera with an entirely new mount (such as the AllStar) and frankly I think it's lunacy to buy a product that doesn't do what you want, in the hopes that someday someone might come up with a way to make it do what you want, so ...

in the end ...

I'll pass.

Maybe the EOS C500 will rectify this silly situation (in 2014? 2015?) but until then, if you're undecided as to which way to go, well, good luck. If you're not undecided, if you have twenty thousand dollars of Canon lenses already and know for a fact that the EF version is the one you want, go right ahead. But if you want the ability to use both types of lenses... the only solution is to buy both versions of the camera. And that's kinda silly.

ustein
01-21-2012, 01:39 PM
>I really think Canon missed the mark by not implementing all of the electronic controls into the C300 that their EF mount lenses are capable of.

Yes. And they don't have to reverse engineer :-)

dustylense
01-21-2012, 02:04 PM
>I really think Canon missed the mark by not implementing all of the electronic controls into the C300 that their EF mount lenses are capable of.

Yes. And they don't have to reverse engineer :-)
With what? It has aperture control and IS enabled. Through the Wifi, you can set focus. It just doesn't AF during shooting. Not many people use AF anyway. So what mark did they miss? The only mark they missed is making it $16,000. If it were $13,500 I would consider it. But I'm waiting to see what this year brings instead.

Erik Naso
01-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Dang Barry that sucks. Canon should have made one model with two interchangeable mounts. RED got this right. For $16K the user shouldn’t have to choose one or the other.

rewind08
02-04-2012, 08:47 AM
This might be a dumb question, but is the quality that huge of a difference between a solid EOS lens or PL? I was looking at the RED 35mm 1.8 prime cine lens, would they work on the c300? Some ppl only have a budget for one or two main lenses and I was wondering about that. If someone can answer this it would be great help!

cowpunk52
02-04-2012, 09:18 AM
The biggest difference comes in build. PL lenses are geared with long focus throws and are meant to be used with a follow focus. They also have witness marks and typically no barrel extension when focusing or zooming. Straight up IQ, though, is another question. The average person would have a pretty hard time being able to tell what images came through PL lenses and, say, Canon L lenses, based on IQ alone.

Keep in mind, though, that Canon's cinema lenses will be offered in EF mount, and Zeiss's CP2's are offered with EF mounts as well. It seems as if EF mount is slowly becoming a more acceptable option in motion picture lenses.

In addition to this, when considering whether to purchase the PL version or EF version, the EF version will have a lot of benefits for creative filming flexibility options: remote focus and iris control of Canon EF lenses, optional peripheral illumination correction, powered IS for lenses that have it, and native support for dozens of specialty lenses that are impossible or prohibitively expensive to find in PL versions (fisheyes, super-telephotos, tilt-shift, etc). Also, lens metadata can be passed to the camera metadata and recorded within the XF codec.

cowpunk52
02-04-2012, 09:19 AM
I was looking at the RED 35mm 1.8 prime cine lens, would they work on the c300?

It would work on the C300 PL version.

rewind08
02-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks! But aren't the Canon cine lenses a lot more expensive? The red prime comes to around 6000 dollars. If you bought the c300 and say you had a budget for just one lens that you would use for a shoot, which one would you recommend? Also the budget would be 8-10k. Appreciate this a lot brother!

cowpunk52
02-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Yes, the Canon primes will cost about $6800 each - and there is no 35mm option yet. The first three are 24mm, 50mm & 85mm. The Red Prime 35mm is $4250, and makes a decent all-arounder. However, I would never put an entire shoot on just one single lens, especially one prime. For about the same cost as the Red Prime, you can get a set of 24mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2 & 85mm f1.2 Canon L Primes which would make an excellent kit for just about any shoot.

If you're hell-bent on a single cinema style lens for your shoot, at your budget I'd still go for the EF mount C300 and pick up a Zeiss CP2 35mm in EF mount for $3900. Then at least you have the option for more cost-effective EF glass for any specialty shots you want to do.

If your budget is $8-10k for lenses only, and you really want Cinema lenses, get the Zeiss CP2 in 28mm and 50mm at $3900 each in EF mount. That will cover most shooting scenerios and leave a little wiggle room in your budget for specialty EF lenses for creative shots if needed.

This is how I would personally attack the situation. Other's might have different opinions.

rewind08
02-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Awesome, I'll look into all that for sure, thanks a lot !

alpi69
02-05-2012, 12:51 AM
With the AF100 I can use Canon, Nikon, m43, or PL lenses. With the FS100 you can use Canon, Nikon, Alpha, e-mount, or PL lenses. With the F3 you can use Nikon, Canon, PL, etc.

Even the Red Epic and Scarlet allow you to change the camera's mount to use Canon, Nikon, or PL.

But Canon doesn't.
yes, but for people who have Canon glass (coming from 7D, 5D etc) this is not an issue. And I take C300 images with EF glass above the AF-100 any day.

alpi69
02-05-2012, 12:59 AM
In addition to this, when considering whether to purchase the PL version or EF version, the EF version will have a lot of benefits for creative filming flexibility options: remote focus and iris control of Canon EF lenses, optional peripheral illumination correction, powered IS for lenses that have it, and native support for dozens of specialty lenses that are impossible or prohibitively expensive to find in PL versions (fisheyes, super-telephotos, tilt-shift, etc). Also, lens metadata can be passed to the camera metadata and recorded within the XF codec.

very well selected advantages!

Erik Naso
02-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Get EOS mount, you can always get an EOS to PL adapter because there is no mirror, then use rails to support the lens

this way you have the option to shoot both
Is a Eos to PL adapter available? If it is then yes EF is the way to go. If not then you will have to wait for a company to make one. One company comes to mind that everybody was banking on was Birger and they didnít deliver for the AF-100 or the F3. Hard choice.

Barry_Green
02-08-2012, 10:13 PM
I don't think any such adapter can exist or ever will exist.

cowpunk52
02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Is a Eos to PL adapter available? If it is then yes EF is the way to go. If not then you will have to wait for a company to make one. One company comes to mind that everybody was banking on was Birger and they didn’t deliver for the AF-100 or the F3. Hard choice.

There are PL adapters for EF mounts available, but they typically only work with certain lenses. This one (http://kcwtechnica.com/shop/pl-mount-to-canon-eos-7d-5d-mark-ii-adapter-v2a) is currently available, but has limited compatibility:

"Due focal range and lens PL Mount plate, there is no universal adapter for all PL Mount lenses to current DSLR cameras. PL to EF adapter, securely mounts PL lens to EF mounts. This adapter has no element, thus will not correct for back focus. Specifically designed for PL lenses with deeper backs. 14mm or more.
We have tested non-modified PL lenses:
• Lomo
• RED Pro
• Zeiss
• Cooke"

I would definitely call and discuss compatibility with the C300 before purchasing, though.

cowpunk52
02-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Also, Optitek had announced a PL to EF adapter back in 2010, but I don't think it was ever released. It was said to work with Angenieux Optimo zooms, Cooke zooms, and Red Pro Primes - "with others being tested."

link (http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?42058-Canon-EOS-mounts-for-Red-Pro-Primes&p=574717#post574717)

Barry_Green
02-08-2012, 11:10 PM
There are simple mechanical adapters out there already but they don't work with most prime lenses, if any. They only work with some zooms.

I had high hopes for this, as I have a reservation on a c300, but with no simple solution I think I'm gonna pass and wait for them to engineer a better design on the next gen.

nothing
02-09-2012, 01:03 AM
This thread has begun to repeat itself. The last page is full of information covered in the first few pages.

chatrapal
02-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Nice Article. I think EOS to PL is not going to happen that easily.
http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/canon-ef-to-pl-is-it-possible/

(http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/canon-ef-to-pl-is-it-possible/)

nothing
02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Nice Article. I think EOS to PL is not going to happen that easily.
http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/canon-ef-to-pl-is-it-possible/

(http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/canon-ef-to-pl-is-it-possible/)

That article is about converting the mounts on lenses, not the mounts on cameras. The issues are different and covered earlier in this thread.

Mark Smith
02-18-2012, 12:01 PM
I have a deposit on a C 300 EF and am sitting on the fence right now about the camera. I spoke with Abel cine yesterday at some length in their office about the EF to PL adapter possibility. There are a couple of companies trying to come up with an adapter but it clearly is a tough nut to crack . Hotrod seems like they are on the trail to an adapter but as of yet they haven't produced one.

I'd buy the C300 in a minute if there was a workable Pl to EF adapter or the reverse, but to be locked into one lens universe by the lens mount choice seems sooooo retarded on Canon's part marketing the camera this way.

nothing
02-18-2012, 12:27 PM
There are a couple of companies trying to come up with an adapter but it clearly is a tough nut to crack.

It's not hard at all. A replacement mount like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Angenieux-Cooke-S4-Zeiss-RED-ARRI-PL-to-EOS-7D-60D-T3i-550D-600D-T2i-adapter-/260885516105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbdfd0f49) is what is needed, except made for the C300 mount dimensions and screw pattern instead of the 7D/60D/T2i. If someone in Poland can put an EF C300 in ciecio7's hands there will be such an mount available shortly thereafter.

This would allow the use of most PL mount lenses, prime or zoom. For zoom only use, many viable options already exist (ciecio7 still being the best source in my opinion).

Such an adapted mount will likely not be as strong as the native PL mount C300, however, and I'd recommend retaining and using the additional bottom support. Personally, I'd still buy the PL mount C300.