PDA

View Full Version : GH1 Good C-Mount Lenses for GH-1

DanGoedeker
12-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Hey folks,

I've been playing with the idea of getting a c-mount lens for my gh-1 for some time now, and was wondering what some good options are.

I know the lack of ETC mode for GH-1's limits the useable length lenses to somewhere after 25mm (or get unusable vignetting)

I've been looking at some cheap computar lenses on ebay, but I'm not sure exactly how well those will work.

Any help would be appreciated.

David W. Jones
12-25-2011, 02:07 PM
There is a lot of hype on the Internet about C mount lenses. My advice... Skip the C mount lenses!
There are plenty of affordable 35mm format lenses available that will give you the quality results you desire at a low price point.

All the Best!

Dave

chrisso
12-25-2011, 02:26 PM
I have a Kodak 25mm F1.4 lens that I'm really happy with.
The color rendition is very rich. The overall quality of the lens is somewhat retro, nostalgic. The raw footage is sort of saturated, the opposite end to that classic video look.
It does vignette on the margins, but it isn't too bad. You would use the lens for an effect, rather than for a broadcast documentary sort of thing.
I bought it when c-mount was pretty cheap, also before Panasonic and SLR Magic made more fast wides available.
I think certain c-mount lenses are worth having, if you can find them cheap. But I also think David's post above makes good sense.

ed_lee83
12-25-2011, 03:51 PM
By far the best attraction of c mount lenses are their very fast apertures. For GH1 I recommend the Computar 12.5mm f1.3 and Canon 17-102 f2. Both cover about 90% of the sensor and can get them for under $100. or look for other Super 16 lenses. Where could you find an equivalent in price and quality 35mm lens? So it's only hype till you do appropriate research and see which one suits you.If u had a GH2 i recommend the Pentax 8-48mm f1.0. Sharp, compact and parfocal. But u need to use Ex Tele.