PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Standard GH2 footage on the big screen

ed_lee83
12-20-2011, 12:48 AM
I was so miffed when the hacks starting rolling out almost immediately after I shot some of my best stuff this year.

A short film I DP'd had its premiere screening in the cinema and I had been skeptical how the footage would turn out on the big screen. I kept thinking, damn, if I had some of the hacks it would definitely be more sharper or whatever. But much to my amazement the footage came out very well, and blew up well on the big screen. OK it's not an IMAX screen, but still!

Here's some pics I took of the screen with my shritty iPhone 3G and the footage still looks good!. People were shocked when I said I used a GH2.

But then it got me thinking, with the plethora of hacks & tests and what not, would any of the hacks greatly improved the film? Any of ye experienced hacked users can tell me how? Perhaps greater details in shadows? I honestly stopped paying attention to hack news after Driftwood's initial patches.

Here's a rather crap trailer to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTYLWLzURdk&fb_source=message

AdrianF
12-20-2011, 01:38 AM
The link to your trailer doesn't seem to be working?
Anyway, must have been fun to see your work up on the screen.

ed_lee83
12-20-2011, 02:41 AM
The link to your trailer doesn't seem to be working?
Anyway, must have been fun to see your work up on the screen.
oops, updated the link. cheers

Ryan Farnes
12-20-2011, 06:10 AM
A few years back, I bought a used 2500 lumens Epson projector that has a max resolution of 1024x768. When I projected 720p content from the HVX200 via DVI on it, it blew me away. Still does sometimes. You match it with powerful sound and music and it can go to your head quickly. So that is a sub-720p setup.

Projection has its own magic...

I suppose the improvements from hacks would only be apparent if you were able to compare side by side.

fargee
12-20-2011, 07:24 AM
i also shot a feature documentary few moths back with a unhacked gh2 along with a 7d and im also curious about how its going to look on big screen. i wish hacks were available then ; higher bitrate footage never hurts. but im extremely happy with the results from my gh2 so far. and it's good to know that even unhacked gh2 looks good on big screen. I know most of the audience wont even care as much as we do but still as a dp my job is to deliver the best looking footage i could get from a camera.
my conclusion is that hacked or unhacked gh2 delivers satisfying results.

ed_lee83
12-21-2011, 01:57 AM
\my conclusion is that hacked or unhacked gh2 delivers satisfying results.
word.