PDA

View Full Version : GH2 DO NOT POST SEPARATE THREADS: GH2 Hack | Questions and Answers Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Park Edwards
12-14-2011, 10:24 PM
TEMPORARY: ALL QUESTIONS RELATED TO THE GH2 HACK PROCESS GO HERE. DO NOT POST YOUR OWN TOPIC. REFER TO PERSONAL-VIEW.COM FOR MORE IN-DEPTH INFORMATION.

Beginner Questions and Answers: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/443/basic-and-beginner-questions

Collection of Hacks/Patches RIGHT HERE: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-patch-vault-most-popular-patches-in-one-place

Very Simple Guide on how to do it (At your own risk!): http://www.sam-mallery.com/2011/11/an-ez-guide-to-hacking-the-panasonic-gh2/

GH2 Hack FAQ and more (has succinct and great explanations of things, like ETC mode etc): http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/

Just like the thread title says. Ask a non subjective question about the Gh2 hack and I will answer it with the best of my knowledge. If I can't, I will have someone else chime in. This is not a "what is the best hack for my camera" thread. This is meant for direct and concise questions.

Example:
Question: What is the ptool?
Answer: The ptool is the program the creator of the Gh1 hack created to allow you to manipulate certain aspects of the camera's settings. I.E. The bitrate, the frame rate, the PAL 30 min limitation and so forth.

If you ask me "what the best anything" is, I reserve the right to ignore you and kick your dog. For 24 hours only. And maybe a few minutes thereafter. No chit chat either. If you have a comment, save it for another thread. If you see I've made an error in my answer, PM me. And...go....

JackBayer
12-15-2011, 01:43 AM
I have one, or two:

1. Do I remember right, that even mjpeg is 4:2:0 on the GH2?
2. As with GH1 there´s no chance of ever getting a 24p or 25p mjpeg going? Not even on 720p?

Thanks!

dop16mm
12-15-2011, 05:44 AM
does high ISO require high bit rate? Can you get useable results from stock rate, or reasonably low hack rates for stuff like wedding receptions.

J Davis
12-15-2011, 05:48 AM
Do hacks alter skin tones differently and if so which patch has the best skin tones for 720p 60

maranfilms
12-15-2011, 05:51 AM
Is it true that if you hack your gh2 it will get you laid? :)

AdrianF
12-15-2011, 05:55 AM
2. As with GH1 there´s no chance of ever getting a 24p or 25p mjpeg going? Not even on 720p?
Second this one.

Also, is there Max Latitude patch ala GH13?

yoclay
12-15-2011, 06:00 AM
In terms of working with the hacks up until now, aside from spanning and overcranking, is there any other reason to go with the current top card, Sandisk 64Gb 95Mb/s? Would a Sandisk class 10 (30Mb/s) be largely sufficient for the extremely high bit rate hacks like Seaquake otherwise?

Vitaliy Kiselev
12-15-2011, 06:48 AM

Yes.

MJEPG 4:2:2 has strange bugs starting from G2.

Why not?

But it is very hard due to the fact that all encoders, and video setup are specifically tuned to only specific modes.

>does high ISO require high bit rate? Can you get useable results from stock rate, or reasonably low hack rates for stuff like wedding receptions.

High bitrate saves your noise from smearing and making the mess. So, you could work with it later.

>Do hacks alter skin tones differently and if so which patch has the best skin tones for 720p 60

Hacks do not touch color modes. yet.

>is there any other reason to go with the current top card, Sandisk 64Gb 95Mb/s?

Main reason is to be absolutely sure in spanning and no errors.

If you on paid job such card will pay

stoneinapond
12-15-2011, 06:53 AM
Now wait a minute....

Is Car3o really Vitaliy?

Clark Kent to Superman.....:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

notharrylume
12-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Can hacked files be played (pre-viewed) directly from the card on a blu ray player the way regular files can?

mpgxsvcd
12-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Does the Hack void my warranty?

Is GOP = 1 easier to edit than the stock GOP?

Are there any GOP = 1 settings that are stable and don’t clip the I and P frames to the same value for 720p @ 60 FPS so that we can do frame accurate editing for slow motion.

If Panasonic could add new frame rates like 25p and 30p what prevents us/VK from adding new frame rates into the firmware?

I know VK is working hard at getting the new firmware hacked. Do we have a timeline or estimate of when that will be complete?

What is the process for hacking the new firmware? Does it have to be decrypted? Is it significantly different than the old firmware(ie: new settings)?

Is it possible to add the focus tracking for video back in?

Park Edwards
12-15-2011, 08:41 AM
I have one, or two:

Thanks!

1. Yes, for now. See V's response on the glitches.
2. It just skips frames. But there is a possibility to eventually get true 24p. Never say never.

Park Edwards
12-15-2011, 08:43 AM
does high ISO require high bit rate? Can you get useable results from stock rate, or reasonably low hack rates for stuff like wedding receptions.

As V said, the higher the bitrate, the better the noise renders. It's not required, but it helps. Getting useable results is up to the operator. Not many people have complained about the stock rate. This can't be answered objectively.

Park Edwards
12-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Do hacks alter skin tones differently and if so which patch has the best skin tones for 720p 60

No evidence has pointed to better skin tones. The higher bitrate will probably allow better grading in post. Which patch has the best skin tones is opinionated. So I can't answer that. But I believe they are equal across the board in terms of color rendition.

Park Edwards
12-15-2011, 08:45 AM

I don't always get laid.
But when I do, it's because of the patch ;)

Park Edwards
12-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Second this one.

Also, is there Max Latitude patch ala GH13?

I haven't seen any "max latitude" patches. I don't even really know what that means to be honest. I think that was a name a forum member called their old gh1 patch.

Park Edwards
12-15-2011, 08:49 AM
In terms of working with the hacks up until now, aside from spanning and overcranking, is there any other reason to go with the current top card, Sandisk 64Gb 95Mb/s? Would a Sandisk class 10 (30Mb/s) be largely sufficient for the extremely high bit rate hacks like Seaquake otherwise?

It doesn't hurt. The pros of a 64GB/95MB/s is it can span, the con is it can't playback when it does span. What you mentioned is the primary reason why people buy the cards. It spans, and can handle a little more for bursts. I myself am going to wait until the cards become cheaper, as with the rate of technology doubles every year and these will be cheaper soon enough.

Park Edwards
12-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Can hacked files be played (pre-viewed) directly from the card on a blu ray player the way regular files can?

I don't see why not. I can't confirm this, but I would imagine so. Unless your blu-ray player has a cap on how much bitrate it can read, it should be able to.

Park Edwards
12-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Does the Hack void my warranty?

Is GOP = 1 easier to edit than the stock GOP?

Are there any GOP = 1 settings that are stable and don’t clip the I and P frames to the same value for 720p @ 60 FPS so that we can do frame accurate editing for slow motion.

If Panasonic could add new frame rates like 25p and 30p what prevents us/VK from adding new frame rates into the firmware?

I know VK is working hard at getting the new firmware hacked. Do we have a timeline or estimate of when that will be complete?

What is the process for hacking the new firmware? Does it have to be decrypted? Is it significantly different than the old firmware(ie: new settings)?

Is it possible to add the focus tracking for video back in?

1. It's possible. Anytime you manipulate your camera, it can possibly void your warranty. If you ever have to return it, it's best to flash your camera to stock settings.
2. I would need someone who's more tech savvy to answer this?
3. Because they engineered the code. V is dissecting it. I'm sure there's many variables in the equation of hacking.
4. No.
5. I don't know.
6. It's probably best you ask these questions on the personal-view forum as they're not faq questions.

Vitaliy Kiselev
12-15-2011, 09:16 AM
@mpgxsvcd

I think you know proper place to ask such questions :-)

I just answered some here for guys who don't know :-)

mpgxsvcd
12-15-2011, 09:24 AM
@mpgxsvcd

I think you know proper place to ask such questions :-)

I just answered some here for guys who don't know :-)

Sorry, I just saw the offer to answer questions so I thought I would ask. I will go to the correct place next time.

Justyn
12-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Question 1: Since I want to shoot with the hack for select "narrative" jobs but shoot stock for events where I shoots tons of footage, something like 12 hours a day last time I did one... What's the best way to have that flexiblility with the camera? Is it best to have two firmwares on two separate cards and then just update as necessary?

For an ordinary Panasonic SD card, or a Transcend Series 10, what patch/hack would be the upmost threshold it could handle? What would be the downsides to using a cheap card? Should I not even consider using old cards for hack and just use for event long shooting situations?

thanks

j

tyampel
12-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Definitely. But first you will need to put a long lens on it, such as the 100-300 zoom, in the presence of your potential partner.

TheDingo
12-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Definitely. But first you will need to put a long lens on it, such as the 100-300 zoom, in the presence of your potential partner.

*** You forgot to mention that this only works with bull-moose ***

PJF
12-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Is it likely a future hack can enable 1080 50p / 60p, or is this a GH2 hardware limitation? Thanks.

Park Edwards
12-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Question 1: Since I want to shoot with the hack for select "narrative" jobs but shoot stock for events where I shoots tons of footage, something like 12 hours a day last time I did one... What's the best way to have that flexiblility with the camera? Is it best to have two firmwares on two separate cards and then just update as necessary?

For an ordinary Panasonic SD card, or a Transcend Series 10, what patch/hack would be the upmost threshold it could handle? What would be the downsides to using a cheap card? Should I not even consider using old cards for hack and just use for event long shooting situations?

1. This is at the discretion of the person behind the camera. I can only say, try it out. Give it a test run. It can't hurt to have two firmwares on deck for any reason. I would advise you never rely on another forum member to make these kinds of calls, and you do some vigorous testing yourself if it's for events that may have some kind of monetary or sentimental value.
2. There are a lot of different hacks. Again, this is just up to person using the hack. Driftwood does have a patch out there that allows you to shoot at optimal settings for budget minded shooters using Transcend and other cards besides the Sandisk Extreme. The downside is like anything else that is cheap; it may not work as good as the more expensive cards. I personally will say, sure get a good brand and stick with it. I have two 16GB Sandisk Extreme III's and they work great. No hicccups on any of the death charts except when using a panasonic lens.

Park Edwards
12-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Is it likely a future hack can enable 1080 50p / 60p, or is this a GH2 hardware limitation? Thanks.

Probably not, but I wouldn't permanently rule it out. From what I've read, AVCHD 1 can't produce 1080 60p. And it's quite possible the hardware does have limitations. But, who knows. Many people said it wasn't possible to fly either.

JMZ
12-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Do any of the hacks affect the HDMI out on the GH2? I've gotten the impression that using the highest bitrate hacks and the fastest cards makes the HDMI output not really worth the effort. But I could be misreading that.

Park Edwards
12-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Do any of the hacks affect the HDMI out on the GH2? I've gotten the impression that using the highest bitrate hacks and the fastest cards makes the HDMI output not really worth the effort. But I could be misreading that.

If you're referring to HDMI out when reviewing footage, then no, it's not affected. It's the same per usual. The bitrate hacks and and fast cards have made HDMI capture pretty moot since it has been seen by some as equal to, if not better than raw HDMI capture.

joe1946
12-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Probably not, but I wouldn't permanently rule it out. From what I've read, AVCHD 1 can't produce 1080 60p. And it's quite possible the hardware does have limitations. But, who knows. Many people said it wasn't possible to fly either.
I purchased my Panasonic TM700 3MOS camcorder with 1080p60 @28mb/sec (AVCHD) in April 2010 long before AVCHD 2.0 came out.

Lpowell
12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I purchased my Panasonic TM700 3MOS camcorder with 1080p60 @28mb/sec (AVCHD) in April 2010 long before AVCHD 2.0 came out.
Panasonic labeled the TM700's 1080p60 mode "MPEG-4 AVC/H.264" rather than "AVCHD". Granted, this is a self-imposed distinction in nomenclature, but Panasonic does make an effort to maintain technical consistency in the application of their brand names. AVCHD is strictly defined as a subset of the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 family of encoders.

PJF
12-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Do the higher bitrate patches lessen the impact of the 8 bit colour banding / "sky banding" problem?

Clips such as this give me hope:
http://vimeo.com/31879325

Park Edwards
12-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Do the higher bitrate patches lessen the impact of the 8 bit colour banding / "sky banding" problem?

Clips such as this give me hope:
http://vimeo.com/31879325

Some have reported it does help, some have said the opposite. Theoretically, the higher bitrate should help increase, so it's still being debated if whether or not it truly does help.

HotConductor
12-16-2011, 09:16 PM
I will be hacking one of my GH2s next week. At this point it looks like there is somewhere in the range of 8 to 12 different patches available, all awesome. Would anyone care to distill it down to the basics? I would love to compile chart...

Hack Name - Bitrate - Details - More details - Ideal environment - Minimum card requirements

I don't mean to ask too much so feel free to reprimand me if you think this is unnecessary. I definitely plan on trying out some of the super high end hacks, but ultimately I think I will settle on something that doesn't eat up a 32gb card in 7 minutes...

Lpowell
12-17-2011, 03:15 AM
At this point in time, I'd recommend downloading the new GH2 v1.1 firmware from Panasonic rather than installing a hacked version of the v1.0 firmware. Panasonic has made significant improvements in the functionality of the GH2 in the new firmware which you may want to check out. In the meantime, Vitaliy is hard at work on a new version of PTool for the v1.1 firmware which will supercede the current version and promises to be well worth waiting for.

Bad Navigator
12-17-2011, 04:02 AM
GH2 Crash with CBrandin 44mb GOP12 AQ4

This was the first time I've experienced a crash with this hack. I had been shooting all night with the camera, and after 13 minutes of recording a new clip, the camera automatically stopped recording. I pressed the playback button to see if it had captured the clip. It showed black and said it was unplayable. Uh oh. I started thumbing through the rest of the clips on the card. They all showed the same thing- black screen and 'unplayable' status. UH OH. Trying to remain calm, I switched the camera off, and turned it back on. Thankfully, I was able to see all (so I thought at the time) my previous clips and play them back, but not the last one that got stopped in the middle of recording. After bringing the card into my computer, I am actually able to see and play the clip that got interrupted. I also noticed something else- while the camera indicated I only had 78 clips on the card, I in fact have 102. Something must have happened during the crash that caused the camera to not only not see the clip that got interrupted, but a large chunk of other clips as well. I was shooting on a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (95MB/s) card. I believe this is the fastest card they make. I was also shooting at high ISO (2500 I believe), and for this particular clip, I increased the shutter speed to around 100/125 as the lights on the stage I was shooting started to get brighter and started to blow out the image. For what it's worth, I also activated the AUTO LVF/LCD switch (sensitivity low) so I could quickly go from looking at the LCD to peaking in the LVF to check focus without pressing the button. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it, but the crash seemed to occur at the exact moment I put my eye to the LVF, as it switched over from the LCD. However, I had been doing this all night without problem (I had already filled up another 32GB card)...

Also not sure if this has anything to do with it, but when I inserted this particular card into the camera to begin shooting (having just filled up the previous), the camera said 'Please insert SD card again' or something to that effect. I had never seen that before. So I did, and the camera seemed fine. Just to be safe, I formatted the card again before shooting. This is a brand new card, opened today. I inserted it into the camera once before, to format it, and then the second time it was inserted was when it gave me the error message, after which it seemed to work fine (though as I said I formatted it again, to be safe).

The crash occurred after at least an hour of recording on this card. I'm not sure what happened that could have caused the crash, but any insight would be most helpful. I don't want to be an alarmist, but it makes me a bit nervous to use the hack for event filming without being 100% confident in the reliability. Perhaps it was the card? Thanks for any and all info!!

Dazza
12-17-2011, 04:13 AM
your card is probably faulty, they do occasionally come from the factory that way

royfel
12-17-2011, 04:34 AM
I have found since getting into this whole GH1-GH2 world that listening to MR. Powell always works out well. He is the gold standard when it comes to advice here.

Sage
12-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Try a low level format:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

FarinHeight_Productions
12-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Hotconductor is totally right. It's time to have some sort of formal excel style doc that has version updates for old/new patches, patch modifications, running changes, basic patch info such as IQ/GOP/estimated recording duration, card requirements, etc.

The developers and Vitaly should approve a basic template that can quickly and easily be populated with new info. This excel file or PDF version of one should have a revision/summary tab of new patches or changes while the main "patch info tab" will contain the guts of the content.

This is a discussion that should probably be continued on PErsonal-view but the document should exist on both DVXUSER and PV. Whenever a new patch is added or modded, the file gets a quick update which overwrites the previous version and it should live as a stickied thread on DVXUSER and it's own thread on PV but the actual patch downloads must be done in PV.

DPs and Directors considering the GH2 aren't going to waste their time diving through hundreds of threads to find basic info. Even with the patch vault on PV it's still kind of a mess. Plus, the doc should have all the GH1 patch info as well.

In essence, this becomes a clear cut "menu" of patches. We want the GH2 to get the usage and recognition it deserves right? Keeping it easy to read and ingest will entice high end DPs greater accessability to the basics so they can pick and choose very quickly what patch best suites their productions needs.

The challenge is finding someone to upload and update on a regular basis. By the sounds of it hotconductor might be up for it. Hell, I'll even do it as long as I'm given the info. Let's just get all this organized properly. One more thing...if you haven't already donated...DO IT! These guys work their butts off giving us the hack privileges.

FarinHeight_Productions
12-17-2011, 06:43 AM
When I first got my GH2s, the "insert SD card" message came up at least three to four times. Each time was a different brand card and prehack so it's not the hack. I haven't had the problem since but I did also notice that when I first received my GH2s the card slot was pretty tight and the cards didn't slide out as easily as they did with my GH13. Now, the cards pop in-n-out smooth and easy as my GH13 did after being "broken in". Not sure how long you've had your GH2 for but consider checking the snugness of your new card.

Btw, the same thing happened to me...camera crashed and clips weren't viewable initially.

moviemaykr
12-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Hello everyone, I'm about to shoot a rap artist tonight out on the streets run and gun style and I also will do some lock down tripod shots. I need to know the best settings for the 110 mbs hack and the 65mbs hack. If 65 mbs is the best way to go please let me know, but I really wanted to push it to 110 mbs and have the time to do it during the night. I also have a canon 5D as a second angle for safety if the GH2 cuts off during recording.

I'm using the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mbs 16 gig cards, so how many minute will I get recording in 1080 24p? I also have the 30mbs 32 gig cards as well.

I have heard Cinema style is the best to shoot in for music video but I just need the other settings like Smooth and so on.

Thanks so much,

MCG

Kholi
12-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Please refer to PERSONAL-VIEW.COM for more information, you will get a quicker response and a more accurate one, as it is the hack community.

moviemaykr
12-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Also I'm not seeing my shutter speed number in my LCD ? I'm in movie mode with Cinema setting 1080 24p.
Did I do something wrong in my menu and where can I change it? I'm using the 65mbs hack.

Kholi
12-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Also I'm not seeing my shutter speed number in my LCD ? I'm in movie mode with Cinema setting 1080 24p.
Did I do something wrong in my menu and where can I change it? I'm using the 65mbs hack.

The hack has nothing to do with that... if you're just now picking up the camera please refer to the manual for basic functions.

Freebie: press the display button a few times until you see your info.

petrspetla
12-17-2011, 09:27 AM
I have big problem with automatic iso. I turned it off everywhere i could in menu so i can manually setup iso, but when i hit record button it shows "auto iso"...so where is problem? :angry:

example
http://imageshack.us/f/832/sequence01still002j.jpg/

Tacumar 50mm f1.4 at f1.4. Iso 320, shutter speed 1/50, 24p cinema, 50mbps.

moviemaykr
12-17-2011, 09:34 AM
yeah Kholi, I already did all that still not seeing the button. Im in Movie mode on the dial should I be in something else? It has three buttons that are just grey in my display menu.

moviemaykr
12-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Ok I switched to manual mode and I was able to do it and I guess I will just record of of manual mode.

Phenixone
12-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Are you using a hack? Some hack make the ISO indication show auto, but really is is manual. Do a test with all manual if the exposure is corrected when going from a lift to a dark image. I believe you can safely disregard it.

David Parsons
12-17-2011, 09:53 AM
First off, apologies if this question has already been posted: I have installed the new GH2 firmware and it looks fine. However, I've noticed that I lose about two seconds of footage from the end after pressing stop record. I now make sure to count to five to cover myself before pressing stop, but has anyone else noticed this?

petrspetla
12-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Phenixone (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?45293-Phenixone): Thank you very much :)

moviemaykr
12-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Ok I switched it from cinema P to Cinema M and it solved my problem, Thanks :)

Bad Navigator
12-17-2011, 01:48 PM
UPDATE 2: Woo-hoo! Was able to successfully repair the file structure using Panasonic's AVCCAM Restorer. The program's first two options were unable to repair the files, but the third and final method, 'Restore the AVCHD folder from the stream files in the specified folder', was able to do so after I removed the 'Stream' folder from within the 'Private' folder. It took about 20 minutes for the program to run the repair. The resultant folder was named 'AVCHDL', which FCP did not recognize. However, after renaming it 'AVCHD' by removing the 'L', it worked! So now all my clips show up in FCP! Now if only I could figure out how to avoid another crash while shooting...

UPDATE: Final Cut Pro (7.0.3)'s Log and Transfer does not recognize all the files on the card, only 78 of them (as did the camera). The El Gato Turbo.264 HD program sees the same thing. Only programs such as VLC or ClipWrap, which can handle individual .MTS files, are able to see them all. It looks to me like the crash really messed up the card's file structure system. The dropped clips are scattered throughout the card, totaling 24 'missing' clips. While I'm grateful the footage is there somewhere, this is a serious pain in the butt. Is there any way to fix the file structure, or at least a way for Final Cut to allow me to work with individual .mts files?

GH2 Crash with CBrandin 44mb GOP12 AQ4

This was the first time I've experienced a crash with this hack. I had been shooting all night with the camera, and after 13 minutes of recording a new clip, the camera automatically stopped recording. I pressed the playback button to see if it had captured the clip. It showed black and said it was unplayable. Uh oh. I started thumbing through the rest of the clips on the card. They all showed the same thing- black screen and 'unplayable' status. UH OH. Trying to remain calm, I switched the camera off, and turned it back on. Thankfully, I was able to see all (so I thought at the time) my previous clips and play them back, but not the last one that got stopped in the middle of recording. After bringing the card into my computer, I am actually able to see and play the clip that got interrupted. I also noticed something else- while the camera indicated I only had 78 clips on the card, I in fact have 102. Something must have happened during the crash that caused the camera to not only not see the clip that got interrupted, but a large chunk of other clips as well. I was shooting on a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (95MB/s) card. I believe this is the fastest card they make. I was also shooting at high ISO (2500 I believe), and for this particular clip, I increased the shutter speed to around 100/125 as the lights on the stage I was shooting started to get brighter and started to blow out the image. For what it's worth, I also activated the AUTO LVF/LCD switch (sensitivity low) so I could quickly go from looking at the LCD to peaking in the LVF to check focus without pressing the button. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it, but the crash seemed to occur at the exact moment I put my eye to the LVF, as it switched over from the LCD. However, I had been doing this all night without problem (I had already filled up another 32GB card)...

Also not sure if this has anything to do with it, but when I inserted this particular card into the camera to begin shooting (having just filled up the previous), the camera said 'Please insert SD card again' or something to that effect. I had never seen that before. So I did, and the camera seemed fine. Just to be safe, I formatted the card again before shooting. This is a brand new card, opened today. I inserted it into the camera once before, to format it, and then the second time it was inserted was when it gave me the error message, after which it seemed to work fine (though as I said I formatted it again, to be safe).

The crash occurred after at least an hour of recording on this card. I'm not sure what happened that could have caused the crash, but any insight would be most helpful. I don't want to be an alarmist, but it makes me a bit nervous to use the hack for event filming without being 100% confident in the reliability. Perhaps it was the card? Thanks for any and all info!!

Bad Navigator
12-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Btw, the same thing happened to me...camera crashed and clips weren't viewable initially.

If I'm not the only one this happened to, it seems to me the hack is a lot less reliable than I had thought. Were you able to recover all the clips from your card? Do you have any idea what caused the crash?

I stuck with 44mb/s because reliability is more important to me than maxing out the bitrate. I used the fastest cards that SanDisk makes, and as far as I know I wasn't shooting anything particularly taxing. Is there anything I can do to mitigate the risk of this happening again on an important shoot, short of reverting back to the original firmware?

Thanks!!

PaPa
12-17-2011, 02:56 PM
I would like to second the idea for creating an excel file listing the types of hacks availalbe, their bitrate, and all the doodads.

Just go understand something. From what i gather, a Higher bitrate hack that has more detail needs less GOP but will then make the motion look too smooth vs a higher GOP? But if you havea high GOP then the files might be too large to be stable on a card?

So one wants a GOP of 3 for the proper motion cadence with a bitrate that is stable?

Nicholas Natteau
12-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Can anyone advise me which tool would be better for green screen work?

The hacked GH2 that can record up to 176 Mbps GOP 1 or the AF100 that has more controls for reducing sharpness (Vertical Detail, etc).

I have a shoot coming up and have the option to rent one or the other, but I'm not sure which one will help me achieve an easier key. I know that the background has to be evenly lit, but I also have the option to light my green screen using Reflecmedia's Litering system.

Thanks very much in advance.

DBP
12-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Can you rent an external recorder too? If so, I'd say the AF100.

Nicholas Natteau
12-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks DBP. What external recorder would you recommend? And why the AF100 over the hacked GH2?

PaPa
12-18-2011, 09:59 AM
I don't know that an AF100 would be better for green screen than a hacked GH2. And definitely avoid reflectmedia screens. They might be passable for interviews, but i've never seen a convincing key from it.

DBP
12-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks DBP. What external recorder would you recommend? And why the AF100 over the hacked GH2?

To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about recorders, so there's other who could answer that better than me. I have heard that the Atmos Samurai is good though. My reason for suggesting it was that it would give you 4:2:2 color, where as even with the high bitrates, the GH2 is still only 4:2:0.

Not to say you can't pull a good key with it, but all things being equal, 4:2:2 is always better for keying than 4:2:0.

jayrock
12-18-2011, 10:32 AM
So I've had my GH2 for a while now and decided to enter this hacking business. I'm currently using the latest version of PTools (3.6) with EOSHD's Vanilla 44mb patch. I'm using Transcend Class 10 16gb SD cards. Using various ISO and testing last night and this morning, I'm still getting an average bitrate of ~13 mbps according to CinemaTools. I checked my pre-hack GH2 files with CinemaTools and it sill has the same rate.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I suppose to see bitrates closer to 30-40? My Canon 5D Mark II clips have an average bitrate of ~23mbps.

jayrock
12-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Also... I've used both Apple ProRes 422 and Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) codecs.. no differences in bitrates between original and hacked GH2.

ProRes 422 - ~13mbs
ProRess 422 (HQ) - ~20mbs

PaPa
12-18-2011, 09:28 PM
alright, i've read a couple of threads, and for the life of me don't understand GOP sufficiently to be able to explain it to someone else.

What does GOP do? Why do we need either a high or low GOP, what is the best case scenario, why does that scenario not work sometimes?

Ian-T
12-19-2011, 10:19 AM
AVCHD records images in "Group of Pictures" which means that those groups of pictures are not independent of one another. They always start out with an "I" frame and the resulting frames can vary. Some examples are from Wiki:

I-picture or I-frame (http://www.dvxuser.com/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types) (intra coded picture) - reference picture, which represents a fixed image and which is independent of other picture types. Each GOP begins with this type of picture.
P-picture or P-frame (http://www.dvxuser.com/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types) (predictive coded picture) - contains motion-compensated (http://www.dvxuser.com/wiki/Motion_compensation) difference information from the preceding I- or P-frame.
B-picture or B-frame (http://www.dvxuser.com/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types) (bidirectionally predictive coded picture) - contains difference information from the preceding and following I- or P-frame within a GOP.
D-picture or D-frame (http://www.dvxuser.com/wiki/D-frame) (DC direct coded picture) - serves the fast advance.

The "P", "B" and "D" examples above are ways to make the codec more efficient. What I mean is you get high quality images but taking up less space on the card etc. Usually that means the GOP is higher. For example. the GH-2's "stock" 24p uses a GOP of 12 (I believe). Or...simply...Groups of 12 (which could mean two "I" frames out of 24 and the rest are "B" frames etc.). I'm not sure of the exact setup (someone can fill us in with better info) but it could mean one "I" frame and several "B" or "D" frames grouped all into one (creating one second's worth of images). All of these "B" and "D" frames etc. are a form of "compression." And....you know what compression means??....Artifacts galore!!!. Those artifacts can lead to the smoothing out of noise in the shadow areas....killing detail. It can mean...macroblocking hell. It can mean...fill in the blank. I'm sure you get the picture by now (no pun intended)? :)

So, why do we need high bit rates for GOP1?? Simple...GOP 1 represents just one big whopping frame by itself. It's the highest quality image out of the camera. So...in order to make that "One Second" of images like the above example you would need (for 24p) 24 "I" frames. That's a lot of needed data...thus why we need...a very high bit rate. That is like taking 24 high quality still picture (JPEGS) in a row to make just a ONE SECOND image. This is what you call "Intra Frame." In the past....one could only shoot "Intra-Frame" with very expensive professional cameras. BUT....not anymore...thanks to the hack. If you think about real" film and how it behaves...then the Intra-Frame shooting mimicks that perfectly...which is why a lot of folks say the motion of GOP1 looks very filmic. This is also why the GH-2 is worth so much more than the $700 it's currently priced at.

All this is a little vague....but was meant to give you a better ideo on the "whys"....in terms of using a high bit rate. Hope this sort of helped.

PaPa
12-19-2011, 10:55 AM
that helps tremendously, thank you for taking the time to explain Ian!

Now i guess the question is always about geting to the lowest GOP setting to mimic the right motion of 24 that we all love and strive to get. But then if we have too low of a GOP, the data rate is too high and makes capturing unstable.

GOP of 3 seems to have been working the best i assume because i read mostly GOP 3 when i see the hacked versions.

Kholi
12-19-2011, 10:57 AM
It does seem like GOP3 is supposed to be right for 24P, but I'm actually kind of satisfied with the cadence of GOP1 hacks and a shutter of 1/40.

Ian-T
12-19-2011, 11:00 AM
NP Papa.

Actually the Nick Driftwood GOP 1 176 MB hack has been very stable. He has newer variations of it called Aquamotion and others...but it's by far the most popular hack out there. I've been using his orginal version for the last few months and never had a crash on my SanDisk Extreme Pro 30MBs card.

PaPa
12-19-2011, 11:13 AM
It would be interesting to see at what point bitrate because pointless. I mean, how much do you gain versus file size. Both in terms of noticeable difference from the eye as well as color correction difference. That just seems like it would take up an enormous amount of space and i wonder if there is a popular happy medium between bit rate and file size.

Kholi
12-19-2011, 11:24 AM
It would be interesting to see at what point bitrate because pointless. I mean, how much do you gain versus file size. Both in terms of noticeable difference from the eye as well as color correction difference. That just seems like it would take up an enormous amount of space and i wonder if there is a popular happy medium between bit rate and file size.

It does take up a decent amount of space. On a 16Gb Card I'm getting 14~15 minutes of footage. However, I guess it's not that big of a deal to me because I've been shooting raw for so long, I'm used to it.

I do NOT know, however, if over this would be much of a difference. Right now, it's more about getting the encoder to become stable, spanning, and refining what the hack brings. Quantum V2 was an absolute image jump over the seaQuake hack. I saw it immediately.

Experimenting with GOP1 and 3, and how shutter speeds affect that, seems like a solid way to waste a day or two.

jayrock
12-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I may be doing something fundamentally wrong, but no matter which patch I install (88mpbs / 44mbps).. all of my clips are coming out the same size and the same average bitrate than with the original un-hacked GH2.

I'm using ProRes 422(HQ) and Cinema Tools to analyze my clips. On the hacked GH2, my 1080p 24H clips average 20.5 MB/s and in my original GH2 my 1080p 24H clips average 20.8 MB/s. What am I doing wrong? The only difference I see in the hack vs non hack is that I now have ISO 12,800 available, but visually and file size - nothing.

TheDingo
12-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Have you tried using Chris Brandin's Stream Parser software to analyze your GH-2 clips ?

Chris Brandin's StreamParser-2.11-update (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?256854-StreamParser-2.11-update)

jayrock
12-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes! Ok, now I see my bitrates change. Thanks for the link.

swanny
12-20-2011, 07:46 AM
I have a stock GH2 and am wondering if I should install the new firmware v1.1 or try a hack?

Zxander34
12-20-2011, 07:57 AM
I personally went with installing the firmware update, but would imagine I was in the vast minority.

Someone will figure out how to hack it in no time.

mpgxsvcd
12-20-2011, 08:20 AM
What is more important to you? Extremely accurate continuous auto focus during recording, 1080p @ 25/30 FPS, improved noise reduction(mostly for stills though), and full screen touch auto focus. Or high bit rate and high ISO video without the 30 minute time limit and switchable regions?

If you want the new features then by all means install the new firmware. If you want the high bit rates then wait. Or you could just install the firmware and determine which one suites your needs the best. You can always revert back to the hacked firmware later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZbbI7TLI-M

swanny
12-20-2011, 08:38 AM
that 30 min time limit seems like a europe model problem, correct?

Nick Dulworth
12-20-2011, 09:09 AM
that 30 min time limit seems like a europe model problem, correct?

yes

PaPa
12-20-2011, 01:24 PM
man, I'm getting a headache trying to nagivate personal views for all the patches.

Can we put together a list of what's available and try to organize some of the details?

DrDave
12-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Since I was less than charmed by the GH2 noise, even at 400 ISO, I installed the new firmware, and so far, I have seen what appears to be a small improvement.

PaPa
12-20-2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-patch-vault-most-popular-patches-in-one-place/p1

this has most of everthing, but it's quite a mess. Given the information gathered, Low GOP = better motion and more like the 24fps we all know and love.

But deciding between GOP of 3 and GOP of 1...

What are the choices here. The page is far too random to keep track.

Need to make a list of what's available in order of bit rate from low to high with appropriate GOP.

oh, and the cam just arrived in the mail about 2 hours ago and I've been reading as much as i can since, but not getting the exact info i'm looking for.

HotConductor
12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
man, I'm getting a headache trying to nagivate personal views for all the patches.

Can we put together a list of what's available and try to organize some of the details?

I tried to start a thread on this the other day and for some reason it was deleted. No notice, no reason. I wanted to start a chart with the following info on the hacks...

Hack name - bitrate - benefits - minimum card speed needed - details - details

PaPa
12-20-2011, 01:51 PM
i would like to download one of the hacks but i can't seem to find one based on the information there that has a GOP of 1 or 3 that isn't over 100Mbps

Kholi
12-20-2011, 01:57 PM
I will be hacking one of my GH2s next week. At this point it looks like there is somewhere in the range of 8 to 12 different patches available, all awesome. Would anyone care to distill it down to the basics? I would love to compile chart...

Hack Name - Bitrate - Details - More details - Ideal environment - Minimum card requirements

I don't mean to ask too much so feel free to reprimand me if you think this is unnecessary. I definitely plan on trying out some of the super high end hacks, but ultimately I think I will settle on something that doesn't eat up a 32gb card in 7 minutes...

Your post is right here, in this thread. Too many topics popping up with basic questions on the hack that should mostly be sent over to Personal-View.com.

We're still trying to suss out the threads and info, but keep in mind that it's an evolving effort that happens outside of DVXuser and it takes a lot of time and effort to compile such things. All of the questions can go into this thread, and if someone wants to keep up with every patch release and graph it for the community you're more than welcome to do so, and I'll rename this topic and add it to Car3o's first post.

The Hack is a free effort, they put in a lot of time and man power to bring it to us, it may be a mess to go through but it's worth it. You'll also learn a lot while doing it. =]

Kholi
12-20-2011, 02:00 PM
i would like to download one of the hacks but i can't seem to find one based on the information there that has a GOP of 1 or 3 that isn't over 100Mbps

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-patch-vault-most-popular-patches-in-one-place

Went and dug that up for ya, mang.

HotConductor
12-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Your post is right here, in this thread. Too many topics popping up with basic questions on the hack that should mostly be sent over to Personal-View.com.

We're still trying to suss out the threads and info, but keep in mind that it's an evolving effort that happens outside of DVXuser and it takes a lot of time and effort to compile such things. All of the questions can go into this thread, and if someone wants to keep up with every patch release and graph it for the community you're more than welcome to do so, and I'll rename this topic and add it to Car3o's first post.

The Hack is a free effort, they put in a lot of time and man power to bring it to us, it may be a mess to go through but it's worth it. You'll also learn a lot while doing it. =]

Thank you for pointing this out. I should have done a search to see if the thread was moved.

I agree about the time and effort currently being poured into the hack and all the individual patches. I look forward to delving into it deeper. However, unlike hacking your xbox or modding your Android phone, this process is much more convoluted than it should being. Private View is a very messy forum. I have joined and downloaded several patches, but their forum layout just isn't as clean as DVXuser. Just ONE of the reasons I love this place.

Kholi
12-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Thank you for pointing this out. I should have done a search to see if the thread was moved.

I agree about the time and effort currently being poured into the hack and all the individual patches. I look forward to delving into it deeper. However, unlike hacking your xbox or modding your Android phone, this process is much more convoluted than it should being. Private View is a very messy forum. I have joined and downloaded several patches, but their forum layout just isn't as clean as DVXuser. Just ONE of the reasons I love this place.

Understandable. It's definitely not as popular as modding an xBox, which means that it'll be a lot messier and a lot more scarce as far as info is concerned. Just takes a little more effort and patience to get to the information that you're seeking. A few of us are here to help out, as well, when we can afford to.

If all of the questions get stacked in this thread, then there's a database that I can go back and modify to point toward what people need. Let's keep this one going and people will have an easier time in the future.

PaPa
12-20-2011, 03:07 PM
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-patch-vault-most-popular-patches-in-one-place

Went and dug that up for ya, mang.
har har, veru funny. That's the thread i've been going through again and again, but i cant find all the information for all the patches. There are only a few details here and there for some of them without downloading them to see their GOP settings.

im giving a try with the 65 Mbps one to see how it works.

FarinHeight_Productions
12-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Understandable. It's definitely not as popular as modding an xBox, which means that it'll be a lot messier and a lot more scarce as far as info is concerned. Just takes a little more effort and patience to get to the information that you're seeking. A few of us are here to help out, as well, when we can afford to.

If all of the questions get stacked in this thread, then there's a database that I can go back and modify to point toward what people need. Let's keep this one going and people will have an easier time in the future.

I posted this a few days ago but because all posts were consolidated into this one it got buried (maybe repost as a new thread on PV so Vitaliy can see it)...

Hotconductor is totally right. It's time to have some sort of formal excel style doc that has version updates for old/new patches, patch modifications, running changes, basic patch info such as AQ/GOP/estimated recording duration, card requirements, etc.

The developers and Vitaly should approve a basic template that can quickly and easily be populated with new info. This excel file or PDF version of one should have a revision/summary tab of new patches or changes while the main "patch info tab" will contain the guts of the content.

This is a discussion that should probably be continued on PErsonal-view but the document should exist on both DVXUSER and PV. Whenever a new patch is added or modded, the file gets a quick update which overwrites the previous version and it should live as a stickied thread on DVXUSER and it's own thread on PV but the actual patch downloads must be done in PV.

DPs and Directors considering the GH2 aren't going to waste their time diving through hundreds of threads to find basic info. Even with the patch vault on PV it's still kind of a mess. Plus, the doc should have all the GH1 patch info as well.

In essence, this becomes a clear cut "menu" of patches. We want the GH2 to get the usage and recognition it deserves right? Keeping it easy to read and ingest will entice high end DPs greater accessability to the basics so they can pick and choose very quickly what patch best suites their productions needs.

The challenge is finding someone to upload and update on a regular basis. By the sounds of it hotconductor might be up for it. Hell, I'll even do it as long as I'm given the info. Let's just get all this organized properly. One more thing...if you haven't already donated...DO IT! These guys work their butts off giving us the hack privileges.

Kholi
12-20-2011, 03:16 PM
har har, veru funny. That's the thread i've been going through again and again, but i cant find all the information for all the patches. There are only a few details here and there for some of them without downloading them to see their GOP settings.

im giving a try with the 65 Mbps one to see how it works.

Wasn't trying to be funny, man. That's as best you're gonna get as far as a collection of patches goes on that site. Otherwise, you have to sift through the threads to find them.

How about this: VK has a donate button on his page. Why dont' we find someone we can donate too, reach a total of 300.00-500.00 dollars to pay someone to accumulate this free info? Any takers?

PaPa
12-20-2011, 03:23 PM
no i know you won't. I was mearly smirking ;) But this 65Mbps patch seems to be working, about to throw it into premiere and see what happens

Kholi
12-20-2011, 03:32 PM

Awesome, looks like we've got a volunteer. All you have to do is go to PV and sift through it, find the patches, grab some info and graph however you see fit.

If you do that, I'll sticky it in a heartbeat. =]

HotConductor
12-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Patch author
Bitrate
AQ
Resolution
GOP Details
Status/Details

Driftwood - GOPStoppa

1080p
GOP1
Intra frames

Driftwood - PURE Intra

GOP1
No P frames

Driftwood - Aquamotion

AQ2

Slow motion work in EX TELE mode

Driftwood - A Quarius Intra

AQ3
1080p24/720p50

Driftwood - SeAQuake

AQ2
1080p24

all intra frames

Driftwood - GOP3illa
176MB

GOP3
Highest possible stable patch with B frames.

reA Quainted Intra
176M
AQ3

GOP1
Intra frames

Driftwood
132MB
AQ2

GOP3

Kae
105MB

1080p
GOP3

Stray
88MB
AQ2

GOP12

Cbrandin
66MB
AQ2

GOP12

Cbrandin
44MB
AQ4

GOP12

Mpgxsvcd
42MB
AQ4

GOP12

Seth AVC-HD High
42MB
AQ4
1080p
GOP default

Seth AVC-HD High
32MB
AQ2
720p
GOP default

Seth AVC-HD High
32MB
AQ4
1080p
GOP default

Seth AVC-HD Low
24MB
AQ2
720p
GOP default

Will fill in with more details as they appear...

Kholi
12-20-2011, 04:59 PM
You may want to add a little notes section that details the changes. Driftwood often does that under his posts. As soon as you hit a stopping point, PM me and I'll update the first post as well.

FarinHeight_Productions
12-20-2011, 05:54 PM
I posted a new thread on Personal-view called "Patch Vault Summary chart beta" with a chart as well. It's an excel file based on the 2011 microsoft suite. Hotconductor, we're pretty much on the same page with the info. I added a few other columns such as card requirements, reliability risk, estimated recording duration, etc. Y'all can take a peek and we can merge everything together. Looks good guys! One step closer to making things easier in the hack world.

HotConductor
12-20-2011, 06:00 PM
I posted a new thread on Personal-view called "Patch Vault Summary chart beta" with a chart as well. It's an excel file based on the 2011 microsoft suite. Hotconductor, we're pretty much on the same page with the info. I added a few other columns such as card requirements, reliability risk, estimated recording duration, etc. Y'all can take a peek and we can merge everything together. Looks good guys! One step closer to making things easier in the hack world.

I downloaded the document and it only has 4 columns (revision number, date, author, description). It is a glitch on my end? I opened it in OpenOffice and Google Docs, both displayed the same. Glad to make some headway on this!

FarinHeight_Productions
12-20-2011, 06:05 PM
I downloaded the document and it only has 4 columns (revision number, date, author, description). It is a glitch on my end? I opened it in OpenOffice and Google Docs, both displayed the same. Glad to make some headway on this!

There are other tabs (sheets) at the bottom of the file labeled GH2 3.63, GH2 3.62, GH1, Glossary of terms. Maybe it's the newer version of excel wreaking havoc if you don't see it?

HotConductor
12-20-2011, 06:07 PM
There are other tabs (sheets) at the bottom of the file labeled GH2 3.63, GH2 3.62, GH1, Glossary of terms. Maybe it's the newer version of excel wreaking havoc if you don't see it?

OHHhhh snap! That GH2 3.63 tab is layed out BEAUTIFULLY. I am trying out different settings as we speak. Extremely helpful.

FarinHeight_Productions
12-20-2011, 06:12 PM
OHHhhh snap! That GH2 3.63 tab is layed out BEAUTIFULLY. I am trying out different settings as we speak. Extremely helpful.

Lol thanks man. I'm glad i saw your post about getting things organized cause that's what set me off to say...screw it...we gotta do this! I'm tired of jumping in and out of threads to find basic info. Hopefully the developers and Vitaliy are able to provide input so we can finalize a chart. Once the chart is finalized, we'll need all the developers to proof their patches to insure all the info is accurate. I didn't fill everything in because I was unsure of some of the info. Though it is just a formatting test, I don't want to add totally incorrect info ya know?

HotConductor
12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Lol thanks man. I'm glad i saw your post about getting things organized cause that's what set me off to say...screw it...we gotta do this! I'm tired of jumping in and out of threads to find basic info. Hopefully the developers and Vitaliy are able to provide input so we can finalize a chart. Once the chart is finalized, we'll need all the developers to proof their patches to insure all the info is accurate. I didn't fill everything in because I was unsure of some of the info. Though it is just a formatting test, I don't want to add totally incorrect info ya know?

I'm with you brother. FAQ team and all. I am going to make little notes in my version as I go through and test out different patches. I have a feeling I will reach one patch where I'll say to myself 'this is fantastic, I'm done searching' but we'll see.

PaPa
12-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Patch author
Bitrate
AQ
Resolution
GOP Details
Status/Details

Driftwood - GOPStoppa

1080p
GOP1
Intra frames

Driftwood - PURE Intra

GOP1
No P frames

Driftwood - Aquamotion

AQ2

Slow motion work in EX TELE mode

Driftwood - A Quarius Intra

AQ3
1080p24/720p50

Driftwood - SeAQuake

AQ2
1080p24

all intra frames

Driftwood - GOP3illa
176MB

GOP3
Highest possible stable patch with B frames.

reA Quainted Intra
176M
AQ3

GOP1
Intra frames

Driftwood
132MB
AQ2

GOP3

Kae
105MB

1080p
GOP3

Stray
88MB
AQ2

GOP12

Cbrandin
66MB
AQ2

GOP12

Cbrandin
44MB
AQ4

GOP12

Mpgxsvcd
42MB
AQ4

GOP12

Seth AVC-HD High
42MB
AQ4
1080p
GOP default

Seth AVC-HD High
32MB
AQ2
720p
GOP default

Seth AVC-HD High
32MB
AQ4
1080p
GOP default

Seth AVC-HD Low
24MB
AQ2
720p
GOP default

Will fill in with more details as they appear...

you've also got this guy

KAE: 65Mb/s 1080 24p 3 GOP settings

Cosimo Bullo
12-20-2011, 10:18 PM
you've also got this guy

KAE: 65Mb/s 1080 24p 3 GOP settings

Noooooooooo! Please use one of the later, better settings!

PaPa
12-21-2011, 06:55 AM
lol alright, any suggestions I just don't want to fill up my Hard drive with footage because as soon as i shoot im doing the 5D to RGB which doubles and triples the file size!

Also, why are some AQ 2, 3 and 4? This has to do with added quality right? Wouldn't you want to increase it the most?

Also, i downloaded the highest bitrate hack to see whta happens, and am now putting everything in ptools 3.63, but i can't find anywhere to put these options:

Encoder setting 1 720p=2
Encoder setting 2 720p=1
Encoder setting 3 720p=2
Encoder setting 4 720p=2
Encoder setting 1 1080i/p=2
Encoder setting 2 1080p=1
Encoder setting 3 1080p=2
Encoder setting 4 1080p=2
Encoder setting 2 1080i=2
Encoder setting 3 1080i=4
Encoder setting 4 1080i=4
Video buffer=0x3000000
Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
1080p24 Frame Limit=6008888
60fps Frame Limit=1208800
50fps Frame Limit=1561592

Do these need to be input somewhere or is this just information?

*edited*
It's in the testers section, didn't think to look there as i thought this was tested. Guess it's still being experimented on! I'll keep the info here for anyone else who may be wondering.

HotConductor
12-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Most of my cards are class 6 SanDisk Extreme SDHC cards (20MB/s) and I have ONE class 10 (30MB) same make. Any thoughts on a patch that will work well with class 6 cards? Obviously I can't use the super high end 150MB+ patches with class 6 cards. Just curious if you have a high end patch that you dig.

FarinHeight_Productions
12-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Most of my cards are class 6 SanDisk Extreme SDHC cards (20MB/s) and I have ONE class 10 (30MB) same make. Any thoughts on a patch that will work well with class 6 cards? Obviously I can't use the super high end 150MB+ patches with class 6 cards. Just curious if you have a high end patch that you dig.

I've used driftwoods "spanmybitchup" reliably with 16gb Patriot Class 6 cards with no issues even in 720p.

HotConductor
12-21-2011, 09:09 AM
What is the bitrate on that? I haven't seen that posted. The details on personal view state: "
This is the baby version of 'seAQuake' which will span and record at the lowest decent possible settings for all modes. Everything is GOP1 I frame bar 720p60 which is still GOP3. 1080p is AQ2, 1080i/720 is AQ1. This patch will probably not audio jump on playback in camera or on sd card thru a TV."

So 720p is a different mode than 1080p. About to try it out in a few minutes though!

FarinHeight_Productions
12-21-2011, 09:18 AM
If I'm remember correctly in 24H it's max bitrate is around 69.1 according to the "mediainfo" app. It's not written in stone since I don't have my computer with me where I have my notes. I'll get back to you about the exact numbers I had. 720 was around 56 or so. 720 crashed with induced excessively violent camera shaking but that's with a slow Class 10

Manu Delpech
12-22-2011, 04:05 AM
Can you delete this thread please?! Sorry!

markyf
12-22-2011, 07:35 AM
I wonder if anyone can save me a couple hours of surfing the site.

Bought a GH1 a couple of years ago. Hacked it. Been using, I think, the C settings ever since. Never had a problem with the camera. Haven't been on the site since... been shooting!

Some questions:

1. What is the main difference between the GH13 and a hacked GH2, other than live HDMI? As a Director, that is it's biggest limitation for me.
2. Is the GH2 as easy to hack as the GH1? I understand that Ptool 1.1 is on its way. Worth waiting for that?
3. Are all GH2s hackable? I remember people had problems with some GH1s after a certain manufacture date.
4. In most people's opinion, worth the upgrade?

Cheers!

Ryan Farnes
12-22-2011, 11:18 AM
When referring to megabytes and megabits in abbreviated form, my understanding is to capitalize megabytes and use lowercase for megabits.

MB = megabyte
mb = megabit

Just a reminder as we list bit rates.

Ryan Farnes
12-22-2011, 10:38 PM
How is this similar, or different, from the Seaquake patch?

DPStewart
12-22-2011, 11:50 PM
It goes to 11.

PaPa
12-23-2011, 07:18 AM
It goes to 11???

evanflys
12-23-2011, 07:28 AM
It goes to 11.

Now that's funny!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuzpsO4ErOQ&feature=related

PaPa
12-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Ah, i see.

Ryan Farnes
12-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Any adults out there?

DPStewart
12-23-2011, 03:03 PM
HA! Got me!
Sorry Ryan - I was just in one of my increasingly common goofball moods!
I do try to keep them as brief as possible.

Anyway - if you or we can simply grab both INI files of the 2 patches we should be able to do a line-by-line comparison in just a couple of moments.

Searching now...

Here's SEAQUAKE:
[Information]
Comment=Driftwood GOP1 AQ3 166M 'SeAQuake'. <br>1080p24 INTRA, 720p50 INTRA & 1080i50 PsF, 720p60 <br>GOP3, 1080i60 PsF. <br>NOTE: Tested on a host of death charts, Driftwood brings <br>you the latest version of the Driftwood INTRA patch - <br>'SeAQuake'. We've been digging under the seabed of the <br>codec to enhance the QP and macroblocks - and there <br>improved with massaging of the Encoder. Everything is <br>INTRA bar 720p60 which is GOP3. But it looks the best yet. <br>Have fun :-)
SD_Card=Minimum: Good Type 10 SD card
Camera=GH2 v1.0E Driftwood
[Settings]
Version increment=1
30min limit removal=Checked
Maximum ISO limit removal=Checked
PAL<->NTSC Menu=Checked
Video Bitrate 24H=166000000
Video Bitrate 24L=150000000
Video Bitrate FSH/SH=84000000
Video Bitrate FH/H=70000000
Auto Quantizer for 1080 modes=3 - Most to details
Auto Quantizer for 720 modes=2 - More to details
720p50 GOP Size=1
720p60 GOP Size=3
1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=1
1080i60 GOP Size=1
Encoder setting 1 720p=2
Encoder setting 2 720p=1
Encoder setting 3 720p=2
Encoder setting 4 720p=4
Encoder setting 1 1080i/p=2
Encoder setting 2 1080p=1
Encoder setting 3 1080p=2
Encoder setting 4 1080p=4
Encoder setting 2 1080i=1
Encoder setting 3 1080i=2
Encoder setting 4 1080i=4
Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
1080p24 FB2=1284023
60fps FB2=493609
50fps FB2=568331
1080p24 Frame Limit=6100808
60fps Frame Limit=1208873
50fps Frame Limit=1561592

From a user on P.V.:
"Just tried Quantum v5 on SanDisk 30mb/s HD Video cards. 24L - doesn't span for me and
for my work I need this, so I'm jumping back to Qv4. Solid patch for me.
Your attention to fine tuning these patches is amazing."

Searching and finding a zillion references but NO DETAILS!

***CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST DRIFTWOOD'S "QUANTUM" PATCH SO WE CAN SEE THE VALUES?***

Many thanks!

Ryan Farnes
12-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Hehe, no worries. I just thought it might have been generally known. I know Kholi uses Quantum v2 and that is why I ask.

I'm wondering if it might make sense to park myself over at Personal-View a bit more. Its like trying to stay up to date on RED news from a distance. Its impossible. You want all the details, you have to dig deep at REDuser...

berylium
12-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Trying to get the quantum v2 patch, but Personal View is driving me crazy.

Can't download the patch.

Personal View Keeps asking me for the email confirmation and tells me the instructions have been sent via email, but I don't get the email.

Everything worked fine last week but not now.

I guess (ahem) the patches aren't available anywhere but at PV?

DPStewart
12-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I also saw over at P/V. that QUANTUM is up to v5 with the user I listed above deciding to revert to v4.

Disastronaut
12-23-2011, 05:05 PM
It goes to 11.
As an "adult" found this comment humorous and appropriate.

Sage
12-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Soon to be v6. Use v5 for now -
Quantum found that even though bitrate params couldn't be raised anymore (seaquake had ideal buffer balance on the gh2's bitrate pipeline), just selecting AQ4 automatically makes the gh2 'smarter' in rendering the shadows w/ available bitrate (finer grain). AQ4 says: aim for first class detail at all brightness levels, as a starting point.

Kholi
12-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Soon to be v6. Use v5 for now -
Quantum found that even though bitrate params couldn't be raised anymore (seaquake had ideal buffer balance on the gh2's bitrate pipeline), just selecting AQ4 automatically makes the gh2 'smarter' in rendering the shadows w/ available bitrate (finer grain). AQ4 says: aim for first class detail at all brightness levels, as a starting point.

I am most excited about the changes in grain patterns that are occurring. Being able to see an immediate difference in this area compared to seaQuake was quite a surprise. It inadvertently affects how useful ETC mode becomes, as well, and boy do I ever want it to be as useful as possible. Also, of course, it's making the conversion to higher quality finishing formats much more plausible.

Ryan Farnes
12-23-2011, 07:42 PM
What is AQ4? Aquamotion? Is that a separate hack (like Seaquake or Quantum...or am I grouping those correctly as equals?) Or is AQ a setting within a hack?

Is Quantum v5 compatible with 30MB/s Sandisk extreme cards? Or only the 95MB/s cards?

I was asking specifically about v2 because Kholi had mentioned somewhere he wasn't using v5 due to having these 30MB/s cards.

Your talk about noise improvements is awesome. I just bought the 100-300 Lumix for wildlife and being able to use ETC mode and not have significant noise degradation would be huge.

Ian-T
12-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Have not used it yet but I believe it just creates a huge oxymoron....in the form of "cleaner noise." Meaning it's not noise free but the kind of noise it leaves behind does not degrade the image. So you can remove it at will without any hit on image detail or quality. Or you can keep it in there because it looks dam good as is with its very fine grain.

It's funny...a few years back I used to associate that type of fine grain with much higher end cameras out of my reach. But here we are...

Oh...and AQ4 is a settiing within a hack.

roei z
12-24-2011, 08:29 AM
What is AQ4? Aquamotion? Is that a separate hack (like Seaquake or Quantum...or am I grouping those correctly as equals?) Or is AQ a setting within a hack?

Is Quantum v5 compatible with 30MB/s Sandisk extreme cards? Or only the 95MB/s cards?

I was asking specifically about v2 because Kholi had mentioned somewhere he wasn't using v5 due to having these 30MB/s cards.

Your talk about noise improvements is awesome. I just bought the 100-300 Lumix for wildlife and being able to use ETC mode and not have significant noise degradation would be huge.

here. i dug up one of Sage's replies to my same question:

AQ applies to quantization. Quantization deals with the roughness with which a spectrum of possible values is represented. If the 'steps' of color/luma a pixel/block of pixels can be limited to fewer, less data can be used to represent the same image (albeit without subtle beauty). The AQ affects a table in the encoder which specifies what variation of values can be used to represent given parts of the image (shadows, simple gradients, complex detail etc.). In ptool v3.62, VK implemented an auto adjustment of the table to keep all parts in balance while attributing more bitrate according to the original table's distribution. Before, the encoder would simply refuse to use more bitrate when there was plenty left to make the image more accurate. AQ was perhaps the biggest change VK has yet implemented, and required a lot of careful work on his part. It radically changed the image to be incredibly subtle per pixel, attaining a level of image quality that was never possible with simple hacks - a level of quality typically associated with cinema cameras. GOP also affects quantization, as I believe I frames are allowed superior quantization levels. AQ3 seems to be the point at which the image really transforms. A higher aq commands significantly more bitrate, and so requires a rewrite of patch params to allow it to improve image, rather than degrade it.

PaPa
12-25-2011, 10:54 AM
So I'm running Quantam V2 at the moment, and i just realized that i can't activate 720p mode.... REC MODE is greyed out in both Cinema mode and manual movie mode. Is something up?

Andrew McCarrick
12-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Has anybody ever considered looking into hacking the hardware of the GH2, to do something similar to the DVX andromeda? Basically by-pass the codec board, and output uncompressed video straight from the camera. I've been putting some thought into it, but I don't have much experience with C++ to code control and recording software.

Should be as simple as splitting off prior to the codec board, and putting the signal into a Thunderbolt/mini displayport cable. Should be able to divide up each color channel and run each over their own "lane" on the cable. And then multiplex the audio over the 4th lane, and time code over the Aux channel. I'm not a hardware engineer, so I could be off there, not sure.

I found this:

http://www.ite.com.tw/EN/products_more.aspx?CategoryID=1&ID=2,87

Not sure if that would be going the right direction.

Bassman2003
12-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Hello,

A few weeks ago A read the hack was close to being ported to the new Panasonic firmware. I am guessing it is not as I can not find any posts about it here or on Personal View but I thought I would ask. Thanks.

JackBayer
12-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Via HDMI and the proper avisynth script you can record uncompressed today. There´s a thread right here, sticky.

Andrew McCarrick
12-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Via HDMI and the proper avisynth script you can record uncompressed today. There´s a thread right here, sticky.

Far to much post work. I looked at it, not worth it in my opinion. And you don't get raw data or 4:4:4. And I thought the current HDMI port wasn't technically uncompressed. So, one of the hacks would be a better option then the current HDMI output.

SuperSet
12-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Nope, still waiting. Sounds like it was harder than initially thought.

Bassman2003
12-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks!

LeavingTheCandy
12-28-2011, 08:57 AM
I am sure that this had been covered before,but can not locate...are ALL GH2's hackable to Driftwood firmware or only certain versions/revs?

Thanks.

stoneinapond
12-28-2011, 09:34 AM
...are ALL GH2's hackable....?

Yes.

LordTado
12-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Hy,
Anyone know how far is the project lumix g3 firmware hack ?

Cao

Shooter
12-30-2011, 05:13 PM
When you hack a GH2...what does the version info show in the camera?

ie. If you picked up a GH2..can you tell if it has been hacked?

Kholi
12-30-2011, 05:18 PM
You may be able to tell by checking the software version number. LIkely that it has been hacked if the version is above 1.1, but you may want to cross reference that info with someone more knowledgeable.

VMT
12-30-2011, 06:00 PM
When you hack a GH2...what does the version info show in the camera?

ie. If you picked up a GH2..can you tell if it has been hacked?

GH2vk body firmware still says ver. 1.0.

There's really no tell tale it's hacked other than checking the bit rate of the footage and record time on the SD card.

Ian-T
12-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Has anybody ever considered looking into hacking the hardware of the GH2, to do something similar to the DVX andromeda?
Man....this would be excellent.

SPZ
01-02-2012, 04:18 AM
Hi all,

I was looking into purchasing a GH2 but more interesting for my kind of usage looks to be the GX-1:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gx1/index.html

It has the perfect form factor for my urban photography- non intrusive small form factor- and seems to actually be a GH2 in a small form factor without the limitations of the GF series. Vitaly or other forum members familiar with the hack, do you think this is workable for this model? It looks like it has native 25P, which is great for pal users. Seems like its limited to 30p for NTSC, though. But its full HD...

In video, this would be an excellent camera for those no permit shots or POV shots! And if it has the potential of the GH2 in video, it can be the ultimate and first ever guerrilla pocket cinema camera...

What do you think?

fastfinger
01-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Hi all,

I was looking into purchasing a GH2 but more interesting for my kind of usage looks to be the GX-1:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gx1/index.html

It has the perfect form factor for my urban photography- non intrusive small form factor- and seems to actually be a GH2 in a small form factor without the limitations of the GF series. Vitaly or other forum members familiar with the hack, do you think this is workable for this model? It looks like it has native 25P, which is great for pal users. Seems like its limited to 30p for NTSC, though. But its full HD...

In video, this would be an excellent camera for those no permit shots or POV shots! And if it has the potential of the GH2 in video, it can be the ultimate and first ever guerrilla pocket cinema camera...

What do you think?

I was looking at this for video, I was really expecting it would shoot 1080p 60fps but it doesn't. Makes me wonder it the new GH3 will.

brunerww
01-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Nothing wrong with the GH2 for street photography with a pancake lens. I'm a big fan of Mike Kobal's - and he has done some good work with the GH2 on the street. Example here: http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=1630#more-1630
(http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=1630#more-1630)
You can get one with the 14-42 lens for $799.95 from Unique Photo (http://store.uniquephoto.com/e/index.php/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh2-digital-camera-w-14-42mm-lens-black-dmcgh2kk.html?source=pjn&subid=65380), sell the lens and you'll have a GH2 body for about the same price as a GX1 - and it's hackable!

Cheers,

Bill

SPZ
01-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Nothing wrong with the GH2 for street photography with a pancake lens. I'm a big fan of Mike Kobal's - and he has done some good work with the GH2 on the street. Example here: http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=1630#more-1630
(http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=1630#more-1630)
You can get one with the 14-42 lens for $799.95 from Unique Photo (http://store.uniquephoto.com/e/index.php/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh2-digital-camera-w-14-42mm-lens-black-dmcgh2kk.html?source=pjn&subid=65380), sell the lens and you'll have a GH2 body for about the same price as a GX1 - and it's hackable!

Bill

Yes Bill, I know I can do great with a GH2- I'm a big fan of panasonic Still cameras, I own the LC1 and the L1 and sincerely, with the leica summilux 25 and the standard zoom of the L1, I got pictures that I like more than the ones taken with the 7D with comparable focal length L glass!- but I wanted one that could substitute my G10 "stealth" Canon. Never liked the GF cams, but this one looks like a spiritual successor in philosophy to my LC and L camera, so am very tempted to go that route... If it had the video hack, it would be an absolute no brainer! I'm probably getting one anyway, I just love the look and feel of the GX, it should always go with me- but if it had the GH2 hacked video performance...

SPZ
01-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Sorry guys for creating a new thread about this. Didn't know this policy was going on.

Azmyth
01-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Question.. this might be easier to just get a simple answer to than trying to dig for it.

If I was interested in hacking my GH2, and my purpose is feature films whats going to the be the biggest "bang for my buck?"

TheDingo
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
If I was interested in hacking my GH2, and my purpose is feature films whats going to the be the biggest "bang for my buck?"

GH-2 with 176 Mbit hack

Sandisk 95 MB/sec 64 GB SDXC memory cards

Parfocal B4 Zoom Lens : See TurboDog's Post (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?269401-Best-Low-Light-Telephoto-Lens-for-GH2&p=2502253&viewfull=1#post2502253)

Rippie
01-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I just purchased a GH2 today and been spending a few hours trying to learn about the hacks (way too much to comprehend in a day)

I'm sure this is a very simple answer but what does "spanning" mean in relation to these hacks?

Also just a side question...
I'm trying to do my homework and it seems like the sandisk 95MB/sec SDXC cards are the way to go to avoid issues but are these
cards total overkill and there are better options at not quite so high of a cost?
Thanks guys.

TheDingo
01-03-2012, 01:22 PM
what does "spanning" mean in relation to these hacks?

SD memory cards are formatted as FAT32 partitions which have a maximum single file size of 4 GB. "Spanning" means that the camera can write a long video recording to the card as multiple 4 GB file segments, which can be reconstructed back in to a single file on your computer's hard-drive by using the meta-data that is also written to the SD memory card.

If the SD memory card is not fast enough to support "spanning" then your video clip is forced to stop recording at the 4 GB mark, which for the 176 Mbit / sec hacks this works out to roughly the 4 minute mark. ( so no take longer than 4 minutes with a SD card that DOES NOT "span" )

it seems like the sandisk 95MB/sec SDXC cards are the way to go to avoid issues but are these cards total overkill and there are better options at not quite so high of a cost?

Yes, they might be over-kill in many instances, but you also have to think about longevity. The faster the card the more "future-proof" it will be as long as the memory card standard does not change.

You can also buy smaller Sandisk 95 MB/sec cards, the 8 GB costs about $31, though I don't know if these will span with the ultra high bit-rate patches. Has anyone tested an 8 GB 95/MB sec Sandisk card to see if it will span ?

Azmyth
01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
few more questions.. where is the 176mb hack and has anyone used other less expensive cards with success?

Kholi
01-03-2012, 02:50 PM
30mb/s 16GB Sandisk Cards, but you can't span with them.

Kholi
01-03-2012, 02:51 PM
GH-2 with 176 Mbit hack

Sandisk 95 MB/sec 64 GB SDXC memory cards

Parfocal B4 Zoom Lens : See TurboDog's Post (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?269401-Best-Low-Light-Telephoto-Lens-for-GH2&p=2502253&viewfull=1#post2502253)

Agreed, Quantum V2 is what I've been using. Just want a pair of big Sandisk cards and I'll be happy.

Azmyth
01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
30mb/s 16GB Sandisk Cards, but you can't span with them.

I can't remember the last time I rolled on a single take of a shot for more than 4 minutes. I could see it being an issue for documentaries or other event type photography.. but for narrative (which is exclusively what I do.) I don't know of any times where I'd shoot over 4 minutes of footage in a single take.. alot of times, thats all I'd get in several hours of shooting lol.

Kholi
01-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I can't remember the last time I rolled on a single take of a shot for more than 4 minutes. I could see it being an issue for documentaries or other event type photography.. but for narrative (which is exclusively what I do.) I don't know of any times where I'd shoot over 4 minutes of footage in a single take.. alot of times, thats all I'd get in several hours of shooting lol.

I didn't think so either, but I actually do roll longer than 4 minutes on master's and sometimes longer dialogue scenes.

Cory Braun
01-03-2012, 03:31 PM
I didn't think so either, but I actually do roll longer than 4 minutes on master's and sometimes longer dialogue scenes.

Yea I forget which BluRay commentary I was listening to, but some Director was talking about how he doesn't like to cut in between takes and just keeps rolling for the full 12 minutes as it keeps the actor's on their feet.

Kholi
01-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Yea I forget which BluRay commentary I was listening to, but some Director was talking about how he doesn't like to cut in between takes and just keeps rolling for the full 12 minutes as it keeps the actor's on their feet.

People say it's sloppy, and to be honest it IS KINDA sloppy, but I personally don't like to chop my master's up like that, nor do I like doing it when I've got people going through three to four pages of scene in one space.

Might as well cover my booty and get two big cards.

Azmyth
01-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I can see that. I was just going off personal experience. I think we had one shot in the entire feature that would have been longer than a 4 minute take.. YMMV of course. Is there a middle ground hack?

Rippie
01-03-2012, 06:33 PM
I hope this hasn't been asked (I'm sure it has somewhere) but if I wanted to place a few different firmwares on their own cards
do I have to concern myself with any particular class SD card for these purposes?
Example, can I buy class 2-4-etc and be ok with that?

How long does upgrading the firmware take on average? Just curious if it's feasible to change it out in the field.

Thanks for the prior answers and these.

TheDingo
01-03-2012, 06:40 PM
if I wanted to place a few different firmwares on their own cards do I have to concern myself with any particular class SD card for these purposes?

I don't think card speed makes any difference when changing the firmware, so any card that meets the GH-2 spec should be fine.

You do need to use a fully changed battery to change the firmware, and one person managed to "brick" their GH-2 by using a 3rd party battery that died during the firmware process, so I would only use Panasonic batteries for this task.

SuperSet
01-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Out of curiosity and since the V1.1 hack looks like it's taking longer than suspected, are any of you guys reverting back to 1.0 so you can use the hacks?

Tim Joy
01-07-2012, 01:06 AM
I hope this hasn't been asked (I'm sure it has somewhere) but if I wanted to place a few different firmwares on their own cards
do I have to concern myself with any particular class SD card for these purposes?
Example, can I buy class 2-4-etc and be ok with that?

How long does upgrading the firmware take on average? Just curious if it's feasible to change it out in the field.

Thanks for the prior answers and these.

It takes about 1-2 minutes. I use multiple old 1 gb cards I had lying around, each loaded with their own firmware. Just be sure to make them all have different ver numbers for the firmware file, for instance one is named GH2__V13.bin and that is my driftwood Qv2 and another is GH2__V18.bin which is my SpanMyBitchUp. The numbers don't have to be sequential, only different from what's currently loaded. (I don't know if there's a limit to the numbering, but I've loaded up to #18 so far) ?

I haven't done the 1.1 yet but I know you can go back to 1.0 and it's necessary to have the 1.0 in order to load any of the patches anyway.

Bad Navigator
01-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Help!! I'm having problems with my GH2 crashing using CBrandin's 44mb GOP12 AQ4 hack. At exactly 12 minutes and 22 seconds into recording a clip, the camera stops recording and freezes. I am forced to remove the battery to turn off the camera. When I turn it back on, I cannot play back the clip. If there were other clips on the card before the 12:22 clip, some are not visible. Once on the computer, I am only able to view the files after using Panasonic's AVCCAM Restore. This has happened twice, using both Sandisk 32gb Extreme and Sandisk 32gb Extreme Pro cards. Is anyone else having this problem with this firmware? Is there a more stable hack I can use? I was under the impression this was one of the most stable of the hacks. I need to be able to record longer clips for event filming... Any help would be much appreciated!

Azmyth
01-11-2012, 04:13 AM
Is it possible to get away with lesser cards with the 176mb GOP1 hack? like the normal extreme 30 cards or is it essential that you have those 95mb cards?

samphibbs
01-11-2012, 04:48 AM
You can use the 30 MBs cards but they won't span so u r limited to 4 min takes.

deturbanator
01-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Can someone please give me some info on doing a clean install of the firmware on my GH2?
In some of Sage's posts he reccommends doing a clean install before installing the new patches. Does this simply mean upgrade to v11 then back down to v10e then installing a hacked version of the FW?

Thanks

Fresno Bob
01-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Can someone please give me some info on doing a clean install of the firmware on my GH2?
In some of Sage's posts he reccommends doing a clean install before installing the new patches. Does this simply mean upgrade to v11 then back down to v10e then installing a hacked version of the FW?

Thanks

I can't see why that would make any difference?

deturbanator
01-13-2012, 07:20 PM
To be honest neither can I, but in my reading, I have come across this. And having done firmware hacks with the PSP and other devices, it is also not somthing uncommon.

MattRobertson
01-13-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm sure this has been answered before, but with the newest driftwood quantam beta v7 will it span on the 30mb's cards at the 100mb's 24L? (At least I think its 100mb's

Rippie
01-15-2012, 02:14 PM
I was just playing around with Q7H with a 64gig Sandisk Extreme Pro and interestingly the card stopped saying the write speed was too slow.
After trying again it seems to be working but figured it was worth mentioning.

My question is I shot about 12 mins of footage and it is taking forever to ingest into my computer via USB 2.0 card reader (50 mins).
Are there faster options out there that anyone is using with success? (esata, firewire?)

I'm going to be doing some interviews and currently only have 1 high end SD card. I was hoping to just dump the footage during some downtime between
interviews but I can see this isn't going to be an option.

Since everyone seems to be talking about the highest quality hacks out there what middle of the road hacks are out there that people are finding
to work well that will allow me a few hours on this card?
Thanks.

TheDingo
01-15-2012, 07:55 PM
USB 3.0 seems to be the top end for high speed SDXC card readers right now.

MattRobertson
01-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Quick question.. Have a paid shoot on Tuesday, would rather have two GH2's than a GH2 and my panasonic hmc150. You guys think it would be risky to rent the gh2, hack it, shoot, then restore to original firmware before I return it?

Azmyth
01-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Lets say I want to revert to a less intensive patch.. do I just do the whole hack process over again, or is there a simpler method? I'm using the same card, so I'd be formatting it.

VMT
01-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Lets say I want to revert to a less intensive patch.. do I just do the whole hack process over again, or is there a simpler method? I'm using the same card, so I'd be formatting it.

Yep, reformat and start over.

colin rowe
01-31-2012, 01:49 PM
I just got my GH2. I want to hack it but am only really interested in removing the 30 minute record limit, and the extra ISOs. I have downloaded the hack pack, with Aquamotion 2. If I install this, will I still be able to use the stock bitrates etc, or will I be stuck with just the higher rates. Sorry for the very basic questions, but I just wanted to check it out with guys in the know.
Thanks.

Tim Joy
01-31-2012, 06:57 PM
You can enable those functions without using any patch, just in Ptool. Follow the steps for hacking but skip the part when you load a patch.

colin rowe
02-01-2012, 03:50 AM
Thanks for that. Just to reiterate.
Open Ptools 6.3d
Load firmware GH2__V10
Dont click on the green B icon at the bottom
Select Movie related restrictions
Select. 30 min time limit removal and Maximum iso limit removal
Save to hdd but change file name as GH2__V09 or any mumber other than the original file
Copy new file to newly formatted card, and update camera.
Is that about it?
Greatly appreciate your help.
Once I have done it for the first time, I am sure it will all become glaringly apparent.
Thanks a lot

Lindquist
02-01-2012, 04:10 PM
i jus got my gh2 , i got a 16gb class10 20mb/s card that wont work with the hack right?

i need the 30mbs sandisck extreme?
also whats best workflow for Adobe Premiere?

TheDingo
02-01-2012, 05:06 PM
i jus got my gh2 , i got a 16gb class10 20mb/s card that wont work with the hack right?

Your memory card should work just fine with the lower bitrate patches. I've been very happy working with the 42 Mbit patches so far.

colin rowe
02-02-2012, 04:43 AM
Can somebody please advise on the following. I used the hack pack, Aquamotion ver 2 to disable the 30 minute record limit, and to enable the extra ISOs. everything is fine apart from the fact that when I set my ISO in manual, as soon as I hit the record button the ISO number indicator at the bottom of the screen changes to auto. Is this normal ?
Thanks.

RollingEntertainment
02-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Does a 32GB Sandisk Extreme class 10 95mb/s will be okay or I need the 64GB..

Azmyth
02-03-2012, 04:35 AM
How much will a 16gb 95mb/s card hold? Enough to warrant buying one?

TheDingo
02-03-2012, 07:16 AM
At the 176 Mbit data rate it works out to roughly 1 GB of storage per minute of footage, so a 16 GB card holds 16 minutes of video.

atarijedi
02-03-2012, 07:41 AM
I am wondering if it is possible for Vitaly to add other framerates, or is that a hardware function? Would it be possible to have 1080p48? I know 60p isn't possible, but would 48p be possible?

HotConductor
02-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Can someone recommend a nice low level patch that will be better than stock, but not insane? I will be out of town with 5 16gb cards, so ideally i'd get atleast an hour out of each card, rather than 4 minutes. All cards are class 6 (20MB/s) or better. Cbrandin's low level patch is great. Sanity seemed decent but all 720/60p stuff is all-auto. Feel free to PM if you have a bunch of suggestions!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Lindquist
02-04-2012, 05:56 PM
i got a 16bg pny class 10 20mbs card can i do that hack with that?

HotConductor
02-04-2012, 06:08 PM
i got a 16bg pny class 10 20mbs card can i do that hack with that?

I haven't worked with PNY cards, but if they are legit and not a knockoff, you should be able to use the Cbrandin 44M settings (or the low settings which are 32M, still higher bitrate than stock). Give it a try!

MaroneSJ
02-08-2012, 01:51 PM
I just need a hack for high bit rate on 720/60p setting. Any suggestions?

Kevin Lee
02-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I just need a hack for high bit rate on 720/60p setting. Any suggestions?

Either

http://osgfilms.com/hack-the-panasonic-gh2/

(http://osgfilms.com/hack-the-panasonic-gh2/)

Or

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?268039-Introducing-SANITY-the-Do-It-All-patch-for-GH2&highlight=Sanity

Lindquist
02-08-2012, 11:14 PM
i jus hacked my gh2 with the 42m settings, i want to rehack it because i didnt do 30min removal and ntsc/pal ect..
is it ok to re-do the hack?

Kholi
02-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Hold on, this needs a new thread altogether.

dvxhutch
02-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Hey guys, I'm having problems hacking the Japanese GH2, since I don't speak Japanese.

I followed the instructions in the link below, but when I press the green play button, a message in Japanese appears that I don't understand.

Please help! Thanks

http://www.sam-mallery.com/2011/11/an-ez-guide-to-hacking-the-panasonic-gh2/

dvxhutch
02-15-2012, 09:00 PM
How do you hack the Japanese version? When I load the SD card and press the green play button, a message in Japanese appears that I don't understand.
thanks

dvxhutch
02-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Hey guys, I'm trying to hack my camera (hard when it's in Japanese!) and have noticed it has firmware versions 1.0 and 1.1.

As I understand it, Vitaliy is working on hacking 1.1 and should have it donw soon, right?

In the meantime, can I remove the 1.1 and replace it with a hacked 1.0 version?

Thanks for your help.

dannyjl
02-16-2012, 02:52 AM
I just hacked mine 2 nights ago for the first time. Bought the cam in Dec., then updated with the new 1.1 - so yes, it can be done.

dannyjl
02-16-2012, 02:54 AM
I'm in Japan and can understand some Japanese - any way you take a picture of the screen with the message and show it?

dvxhutch
02-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Thanks Danny...but I don't understand how you could hack it with 1.1 - I didn't think it was hackable yet? Or did you replace 1.1 with hacked 1.0?
Thanks

dannyjl
02-16-2012, 04:06 AM
I just wrote over 1.1 with the hack. What happened was when I opened ptools I had to load a copy of the old firmware 1.0 in that folder and then loaded a hack which I then saved as a new file and used that to update the in camera frimware. You may be really interested in EOSHD's hacks as they allow you to change the language to English. I would have gotten the camera back in the fall in Japan but J cams only have J language. So, I got it during black friday week for $1000 (about ¥80,000) which is about 200 bucks cheaper than here and it had the Eng. menus.

dvxhutch
02-16-2012, 04:15 AM
Thanks for that!

Kevin Lee
02-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Ah, well in english, there are two choices that show up Yes and NO. It highlights NO by default, cursor up one for yes. Really not sure if that's what you get in Japanese though.

mpgxsvcd
02-16-2012, 08:09 AM
"Can you hack GH2s with firmware 1.1 installed"

Nope. Right now "YOU" can't. It won't be long before "YOU" can though.

nathankw
02-16-2012, 08:17 AM
To clarify (at least as I understand it).
* You CAN replace the 1.1 firmware with hacked 1.0 firmware. So in that sense you can hack a 1.1 camera, though it's no longer a 1.1 camera.
* You CAN switch back and forth between hacked 1.0 firmware and stock 1.1
* You CAN'T create hacked 1.1 firmware - though the new ptool should include that feature.

Is that right?

I'm shooting in 2 weeks and need 25p so I'm really hoping that hacked 1.1 comes soon.

greg sage
02-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Hey, guys. Sorry if this info is in here, but my head's swimming from all the reading up I've been doing.

I'm looking to shoot music videos... mainly in front of greenscreen, and often with quick motion, dancing, etc.

I'm considering getting GH2, hacking it, etc.

I'm intrigured by ability to do slomo shots, but my main focus would be shooting 16x9 at either 1080p or 720p (undecided) ... and always at 30fps.

Material is destined for youtube.

In many cases, I need absolutely MINIMAL audio as I only care about hearing a downbeat for sync purposes, so would gladly trade out audio bandwidth for video.

Mainly, I'm a bit confused as I've read dozens of conflicting posts now as to whether there is a way to capture this in 4:2:2 colorspace.

I would prefer to capture to cards, and just have a few on hand for each shoot, but if I need to do external, that's ok, too.

Is there a hack that specifically does what I need?

thanks.

Stevet
02-16-2012, 08:30 AM
You may be really interested in EOSHD's hacks as they allow you to change the language to English.

Incorrect,
The only person to hack the GH2 is Vitaliy. The tool he created is ptool. There are user settings that Vitaliy allows the user to set.

Stevet
02-16-2012, 08:40 AM
I saw this same post over at Vitaliy's site.

I can't read Japanese either, but I'm sure all you need to do now is hit the play button and accept the upgrade firmware message.
This was answered on that site yesterday. I have no idea why you are asking this over here...lol

Bern Caughey
02-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Not sure this applies, but I overwrote a modest hack with firmware 1.1, & later re-hacked it.

mpgxsvcd
02-16-2012, 10:57 AM
* You CAN replace the 1.1 firmware with hacked 1.0 firmware. So in that sense you can hack a 1.1 camera, though it's no longer a 1.1 camera.
* You CAN'T create hacked 1.1 firmware - though the new ptool should include that feature.

Is that right?

I'm shooting in 2 weeks and need 25p so I'm really hoping that hacked 1.1 comes soon.

It won't be long now.

dvxhutch
02-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the help guys, and thanks to the mods who tidied up my posts, sorry for the mess, I was getting desperate :)

Is that right?

I'm pretty sure that's right.

I was able to replace my camera's 1.1 firmware with a hacked 1.0 hacked firmware. The message in Japanese apparently said "No valid picture to play" or something like that - the same thing it says when you have an empty SD card. But when I replaced the 1.1 with 1.0 it gave 2 options in Japanese and I chose the top one. All good. Hope this helps people having trouble with the Japanese models.

rotgg
02-18-2012, 09:18 PM
I am having some trouble hacking my cam. When i down loaded the bin files to my computer the got associated with my vlc music player. I do the hack save the file put it on my card and turn cam on and press the play button but all i get is "no valid picture to play". I changed the file type and got it unassociated but it still wont work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GH1Newbie
02-20-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm really just starting this because I'd like to start a thread for the GF2 hack with the latest version of ptools.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2317/ptool-v3.64d-topic#Item_17

I just started hacking my GF2 using the settings from the GH1 hacks. Right now I'm getting about 100mbs recording with MJPEGs using the Max Powll native 24/25p. Some of my shots weren't playing back correctly on my PC, so I think it may not be stable. Personally I prefer AVCHD and I 'd like some other people to post some reliable high bit rate patches for the GF2 on this thread. Thanks

jimmiesner
02-21-2012, 07:50 AM
I can purchase the Pal version for cheaper than the NTSC version, and make it NTSC, remove the time limit and change the language to english? Seeing how I will hack it anyways, can anyone see any potential issues that I am missing? Or reasons why I shouldn't do this?

Jim

Bern Caughey
02-21-2012, 10:30 AM
I can purchase the Pal version for cheaper than the NTSC version, and make it NTSC, remove the time limit and change the language to english? Seeing how I will hack it anyways, can anyone see any potential issues that I am missing? Or reasons why I shouldn't do this?

Jim

Since your in the States I imagine a PAL camera will not have a US warranty.

greg sage
02-23-2012, 06:15 PM
If the answer's out there, I haven't been able to find it via google.

Is there a true hdr hack in the works?

Something like magic lantern's alternating of iso settings between frames so we can actually get non time lapsed footage with multiple exposures?

Is there anything inherent about the gh2 that makes it unable to do this unlike the canons?

thx.

jimmykorea
02-25-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm planning on buying an Imac to work with a hacked GH2, what specs do I need to (comfortably) edit the high bitrate footage?

Could I get away with the basic configuration or would it be a mistake. I am wanting to make documentaries though I tend to plan and don't shot endless hours of footage. I want the best quality within reason and I want to be future proofed for possible developments in hacks and/or the eventual GH3. Im a newbie to the GH hack so am clueless how it compares to editing normal HD video. I'm not sure how I will edit, but was thinking maybe just to convert footage to a decent ProRes and edit that, but I'm not sure what is the best way to maintain the quality of the footage shot.

greg sage
02-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Well, many pages of reading later, and I'm still not sure about which patch to use.

Looking for rock solid stability for well lit greenscreen footage. Best key possible without crashes. Output is destined for youtube. Will do 1080 30p, 720 30p, hdmi out, buy 95mbps cards... whatever suits the task best.

Leaning from reading so far toward Driftwood 9b (bitrate too high?) on class 10 sandisk cards.

Really would like to get any periperals ordered asap, so greatly appreciate any guidance here.

jimmykorea
02-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Like the title says I think it would be helpful especially as information is sprawled out over a number of sites to pool peoples opinions and experiences with the GH2 hacks to what is the best hack with post processing to achieve a 'filmlook'. I know its subjective but so far I think quantum v9 looks good as are clips with low GOP. Most filmic hack what do people think?

http://vimeo.com/36173154

Fresno Bob
03-01-2012, 05:14 AM
Has Quantum 9 been updated for 1.1?
I see some versions of a Quantum X doing the rounds. Is that the one?

Damodt
03-01-2012, 06:39 AM
I'd like to know why mine crashes in the crop mode? I'm our running the 42mbs hack.

Also looking forward to an answer to Jimmys question. Thanks

Driftwood
03-02-2012, 03:30 AM
Has Quantum 9 been updated for 1.1?
I see some versions of a Quantum X doing the rounds. Is that the one?

Yes. Quantum 9 has been updated for 1.1 to Rocket or Orion settings found on personal-view - plus there's some brave new matrices at work - no more gradated blue skies. Look for the Quantum thread on personal-view - its not hard.

Fresno Bob
03-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Yes. Quantum 9 has been updated for 1.1 to Rocket or Orion settings found on personal-view - plus there's some brave new matrices at work - no more gradated blue skies. Look for the Quantum thread on personal-view - its not hard.

Thanks mate, I did read the standalone thread on Personal View.
But I found it confusing as there were many different versions for 1.1, when I remember reading you felt you were pretty much there with Quantum 9.
I was just checking what the true successor to 9 was, as that looks so damn good.

Azmyth
03-02-2012, 11:01 PM
If I want to load the hack on 2 different cards, do I have to do the entire process on 2 cards and "update" the camera for both cards.. or do I just have to put the patched firmware file on the 2nd card, and swap em out as normal?

Austin Whitelaw
03-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Hey I just got around to doing the hack, and I used the 100mbps AQ2, as recommended by a site I looked at. There are so many and it was kinda disorganized on the personal-view website, so I wasn't sure which one was best, but I didn't think I would be able to do the 176mbps or anything crazy like that since I don't have a crazy fast card. My problem is though, that I have a class 10 Lexar Pro 16gb card, and it says it guarantees a minimum of 20mbps write speed. So it should be good enough for the 100mbps. So when I installed the update, I go on my camera, and I assume I'm supposed to pick the new option called "High Bit Rate" under the manual movie mode, right? Well I did and after about 15 seconds or so of recording, it says the recording is stopped due to writing speed limitations of the card. How can I fix this? There is no way my card isn't fast enough.

dtzfilms
03-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Lost at sea.
I hacked and tested the 176Mbs v9b.
Cinema 24p, iso1600
Using a 64Gb 95Mbs sandisk card.

Footage looks great.
Just went for a walk during the day and at night in Culver city.

I only shot for about 30 minutes or so but when I stopped recording and tried to record again,
It said "cannot record exceeded file limit" or something crazy like that. This was after recording for 15 continuous minutes, stopped in Trader Joe's, came back out, tried to shoot, but nada. Following morning, checked card on mac, I see I've only used 35Gb of 64Gb. I've done nothing except ingest the new clips and now I press record to recall exact error message but lo and behold, it works again. Can anyone explain that?

Overall, I think I'm going to drop down to a lower bitrate hack. I don't need the image quality to be superb.
I'm only a (layman tech-wise) writer director with his own equipment, so I'm more about story and less about pixels.
I bought the GH2 PRIMARILY for guerilla shooting of external scenes, predominantly night scenes.

So can anyone recommend a patch that's best for night shooting? Safest all around patch that I might use for the rare event as well?

My needs, 1080/24p/30p, NTSC/PAL - I'm not picky, just need a slightly higher bitrate and very reliable and long recording times.

Also - it seems very processor intensive, my fan goes into warp speed during log and transfer.
I'm on a MBP 17in 2.8Ghz i7, 4Gb DDR3 - playback in VLC is not even stuttery, it's buffer and play.
Not that I intend to do this often, but instead of ingesting right away, I sometimes view footage using VLC.
Do you guys think RAM will improve playback and speed up ingesting? or this a processor limitation?
I can double up my RAM to 8Gb.

Cheers!

Tim Joy
03-04-2012, 12:52 PM
It's happened to me before. Just record a short clip afterwards if you have a long one on there. Hard to remember, but it works.

I think with the new Ptools the hacks are not tested thoroughly yet so it's hard to say which one is the best.

Try the new Flow Motion 1.11, or the new Baby pictoris, or for longer record times- SpanMyBitchUp, which will be updated soon, I hear.

I have the same computer and my fan goes crazy on FCP log and transfer too. I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think more ram will help you. It's a processor thing. The newer patches seem to play back better than V9b did.

Check out Personal-veiw if you want to be up to date.

dtzfilms
03-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks mate. I go to personal view and I'm always lost.
Here on the AF100 forum - I read every single post, and I mean every single post
so I wouldn't ask questions that have already been answered, but on Personal view, there's
no way to follow or pick threads that pertain to your pain. So while I went to personal view
again at your urging, I still didn't know what to look for or where? Flow motion 1.11, Baby Pictoris?
I'll check the vault again - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/37520
I wish they'd have explanations for dummies.
Guess, I'll wait for SpanMyBitchUp. Love the name!

Apefos Adapter
03-13-2012, 06:47 AM
Will we see something like Magic Lantern HDR video in the new version of GH2 Hack?

dylansmith
03-14-2012, 03:39 AM
Hi guys,

I just got my GH2 today (coming from a t2i background) and hacked it immediately to the 42Mbps stable patch.

1. did anyone use this stable patch TOGETHER with 320kbps audio and got the camera to playback the video properly? I cannot read just my video files, but it also "corrupted" my pictures on camera - although everything can be viewed on the computer.

2. how do i get the 1080/24p AVCHD files to playback smoothly on my computer? I am very sure it has enough horsepower to play them (it can play my hacked t2i 60mbps files without hiccups), but not sure why it is extremely choppy on WMP. I tried on VLC and there is a lot of blocking + the dynamic range/contrast is lost.

3. There's almost 2.5 seconds of audio lag at the start of every single video i took. i'm quite sure it's not the player problem because it happens on every player i try (even my dedicated media player that plays the video smoothly). how do i resolve this? (i understand that 0.5s is normal, but not 2.5s!)

using i5 proc with 8gb ram.

please help, thanks!

dylansmith
03-17-2012, 01:55 AM
anyone??

enfee
03-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Hi there guys. I'm the beginner, I have gh2 for few weeks and i haven't hacked it yet. I want to hack it now but i don't know which hack i would install for my Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s card. I prefer shooting at 1080p 25fps (or 720p 50fps).

Please give me tip for which hack could be the best for me :) Many thanks!

colin rowe
03-29-2012, 05:11 PM
No Adverse effects

dylansmith
03-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Hi guys,

I just got my GH2 today (coming from a t2i background) and hacked it immediately to the 42Mbps stable patch.

1. did anyone use this stable patch TOGETHER with 320kbps audio and got the camera to playback the video properly? I cannot read just my video files, but it also "corrupted" my pictures on camera - although everything can be viewed on the computer.

2. how do i get the 1080/24p AVCHD files to playback smoothly on my computer? I am very sure it has enough horsepower to play them (it can play my hacked t2i 60mbps files without hiccups), but not sure why it is extremely choppy on WMP. I tried on VLC and there is a lot of blocking + the dynamic range/contrast is lost.

3. There's almost 2.5 seconds of audio lag at the start of every single video i took. i'm quite sure it's not the player problem because it happens on every player i try (even my dedicated media player that plays the video smoothly). how do i resolve this? (i understand that 0.5s is normal, but not 2.5s!)

using i5 proc with 8gb ram.

please help, thanks!

why is this thread so quiet.. :|

Julie_Freed
04-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere in the 23 pages of posts, but can I use a GH2 hack with a Mac?

VMT
04-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere in the 23 pages of posts, but can I use a GH2 hack with a Mac?

Install Wine (http://www.winehq.org/) and you can run Ptool on a Mac.

Julie_Freed
04-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Install Wine (http://www.winehq.org/) and you can run Ptool on a Mac.

Thanks... I followed every step in the Sam-Mallery link from the first page. But now what? Is the new hack automatically on the camera when I turn it on for the first time? Or do I need to select a specific mode (Manual Movie Mode, 24P Cinema, Vairable Movie Mode) Or am I supposed to do something in the Motion Picture menu like Film Mode, Rec Mode etc etc... ?

VMT
04-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks... I followed every step in the Sam-Mallery link from the first page. But now what? Is the new hack automatically on the camera when I turn it on for the first time? Or do I need to select a specific mode (Manual Movie Mode, 24P Cinema, Vairable Movie Mode)

If you followed the steps correctly, the hack should be there. One way to check that the hack has loaded is the record time on your SD card...it should be much less then the stock firmware.

Or am I supposed to do something in the Motion Picture menu like Film Mode, Rec Mode etc etc... ?

You dont do anything after loading the hack. Shoot in your preferred mode. Depending on the patch, each mode's affected differently and will record at different bitrates. Read the patch's description.

Julie_Freed
04-05-2012, 08:05 PM
If you followed the steps correctly, the hack should be there. One way to check that the hack has loaded is the record time on your SD card...it should be much less then the stock firmware.

You dont do anything after loading the hack. Shoot in your preferred mode. Depending on the patch, each mode's affected differently and will record at different bitrates. Read the patch's description.

Thanks, it says my bitrate is 20.69 mb/s. The hack I installed (Sanity 4.1) was supposed to be 66 mb/s. Does that mean the cam is not seeing the hack?

VMT
04-06-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't use that patch, but 20 mbs is stock firmware territory. I would reload the stock firmware, shoot, and then reinstalling the hack, shoot and compare.

Julie_Freed
04-06-2012, 10:56 PM
I don't use that patch, but 20 mbs is stock firmware territory. I would reload the stock firmware, shoot, and then reinstalling the hack, shoot and compare.

Okay I tried that, and I got the same exact results. The hacked firmware is apparently not being read by my camera. I followed the steps extremely carefully, and got all the way through it with no problems, but the end result is video with bitrate of 20.69 mb/s and footage that looks exactly like the stock firmware. Where am I going wrong?

VMT
04-07-2012, 05:09 AM
I would guess your cam is reading the hack just fine. The data rate you're getting also depends on what you're shooting. Shoot something with more detail, e.g. quilt with fine patterns, and camera motion and you'll probably get bitrates closer to the maximum for your patch.

Experiment using one of the extreme patches and compare. You should definitely see a huge jump in mbs.

Julie_Freed
04-07-2012, 09:25 AM
I would guess your cam is reading the hack just fine. The data rate you're getting also depends on what you're shooting. Shoot something with more detail, e.g. quilt with fine patterns, and camera motion and you'll probably get bitrates closer to the maximum for your patch.

Experiment using one of the extreme patches and compare. You should definitely see a huge jump in mbs.

I just tried the Driftwood 132 mb/s AQ2, and it looks exactly the same as all the other ones I tried including the stock. :( And once again, the exported video is still saying 20.77 mb/s. There is clearly something I am doing wrong, and I cannot figure out what it is. Am I supposed to be in a particular movie mode? I've been using Cinema, but I also tried HBR.

When I look at the Version Display in the Setup menu, I see BODY FIRMWARE Ver. 1.1. Is it supposed to say that if I've installed a hack?

VMT
04-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Yeah, something's not right if you tried a 132 mb/s hack and got 20 mbs. the "film" modes (smooth, standard, etc) have no effect on the hack. Firmware version is always v1.1 even with the hack.

What are you using to analyze your data rate? QuickTime has movie inspector, MplayerX and VLC give you media info. Media Inspector (http://mediainspector.massanti.com/) for the Mac provides more detailed analysis.

Edit: You mentioned "exported" video. Are you analyzing the bitrate AFTER transcoding? If so that's the problem. Look at the original .MTS clip from the cam, untouched from the "private" folder in the SD card. When you transcode and re-compress the .MTS file, you're not going to get the bitrate the camera recorded with the hack.

Julie_Freed
04-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Yeah, something's not right if you tried a 132 mb/s hack and got 20 mbs. the "film" modes (smooth, standard, etc) have no effect on the hack. Firmware version is always v1.1 even with the hack.

What are you using to analyze your data rate? QuickTime has movie inspector, MplayerX and VLC give you media info. Media Inspector (http://mediainspector.massanti.com/) for the Mac provides more detailed analysis.

Edit: You mentioned "exported" video. Are you analyzing the bitrate AFTER transcoding? If so that's the problem. Look at the original .MTS clip from the cam, untouched from the "private" folder in the SD card. When you transcode and re-compress the .MTS file, you're not going to get the bitrate the camera recorded with the hack.

Quicktime doesn't play .MTS files does it? Well I couldn't get mine to. So I downloaded VLC. Where do I get the bitrate info? I am assuming I go to Window > Media Information? From there I see "Stream bitrate" and also "Input bitrate", among lots of other statistical info. What should I be looking at? FWIW it looks like Input bitrate is hovering around 66,000 kb/s, so that is 66 mb/s. Much higher than 20 mb/s, but shouldn't it be 132 mb/s as that is what the hack is? Unless of course I am not looking at the right thing. :)

VMT
04-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Looks like the hack is working on your cam. you're good to go.

The patch's stated bitrate is just a theoretical maximum. Youre not going to hit maximum bitrate with most shots. Again it depends on the complexity of detail of the scene, camera movements, and other factors.

Good shooting and best of luck.

Julie_Freed
04-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Looks like the hack is working on your cam. you're good to go.

The patch's stated bitrate is just a theoretical maximum. Youre not going to hit maximum bitrate with most shots. Again it depends on the complexity of detail of the scene, camera movements, and other factors.

Good shooting and best of luck.

Hmmm, so how come the footage looks the same (at least to my eyes) ? Can you recommend a hack that looks extremely different from the others? I could install that one, and if it still looks the same, then I would know something is wrong and it's not just my eyes. :)

VMT
04-08-2012, 09:47 AM
The stock GH2 has pretty good image quality out of the box, so the improvements of the GH2vk aren't about looking "extremely different" or anything that's going to immediately pop out. It's still a 8-bit, 4:2:0 camera.

the biggest argument for the hack is improving the codec beyond the AVCHD standard that comes with the stock camera. With the high bitrate "i-frame" patches, you get a more robust codec. You'll need to do a bit of pixel peeping, but some improvements are in perceived resolution, especially in shadow details, less moire, less banding, and better color grading and green screen. Subjectively some people like the more film-like grain and the look of fast action.

In all, the ability of the hack has given the GH2 far more value beyond its mere purchase price, arguably even surpassing the best of the DSLRs in image quality.

D.Future
04-15-2012, 02:08 AM
Noob Question:

I'm trying to download the Driftwood Quantum V100v3 patch, but all of the zip icon images (In the hack link) do nothing on my Mac. What steps do I need to take to acquire this patch?

I tried to find a solution before posting this inquiry, but had no success.

PaPa
04-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Noob Question:

I'm trying to download the Driftwood Quantum V100v3 patch, but all of the zip icon images (In the hack link) do nothing on my Mac. What steps do I need to take to acquire this patch?

I tried to find a solution before posting this inquiry, but had no success.

Are you logged in on the site? That may be the reason.

D.Future
04-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Are you logged in on the site? That may be the reason.

Thank you, sir.

TiE_Shepherd
05-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Okay I have a question about cards. I know most people are going towards the 64GB 95 MB/s cards, which I plan on grabbing in the near future. I'm not totally clear on the 45 MB/s cards. I know the older Extreme Pros aren't recommended and some people said the new Extreme cards work okay, but what about the "Extreme HD Video" cards? I'm going to be ordering a few things from BH and it seems like they only have the 45 MB/s "Extreme HD Video" cards or the 95MB/s cards.

fastfinger
05-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Hello, I shoot motorcycles, I do allot of fast panning. I use 720p 60fps only and I was wondering if there are any examples of improvements I would get with motion using a hack. A before after type stuff. So far the examples I've seen are just after hacks and it's hard to judge.

Thanks

Cory Braun
05-21-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm finally looking to hack my GH2. Is this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5FrB0c8DyQ) the most current way to hack the GH2? If not, is there another video someone has? Thanks.

Kevin Lee
05-21-2012, 02:11 PM
That's how its done!