PDA

View Full Version : GH13 would you unhack for sale?

thegoldfi
12-10-2011, 09:49 PM
i may be selling my GH13 (or GH17 - not sure if there is an actual distinction) to someone that may not necessarily appreciate the hack. to cover my own butt, should i unhack my camera before selling it? presumably, i could just update the firmware to whichever is newest?

is this advisable? would you do this if you were selling your hacked GH1?

tommyp
12-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I would just put a stable hack on it if there wasn't one already. It doesn't hurt the camera unless it locks up like they rarely do with the higher end patches.

Phenixone
12-10-2011, 11:29 PM
I would unpack, leave the camera stock and then tell the buyer he can hack it to make it even better. (maybe give a link or too as well)
But I would just unpack so that the buyer know what he is paying for.

ChipThome
12-11-2011, 01:10 AM
If it is hacked you get rid of the mud, unhacked you still have it. Hacking also will allow the use of non OEM batteries among other benefits. Those I have sold, I sold as hacked and then hacked them to the mild B settings. This gives a novice a very nice clip, is stable, and so far no one has had any complaints. If there was some benefit of using it unhacked, I can't think of it. So IMO, a mild hack is more beneficial to your buyer than the unhacked version of the camera.

MR Fanny
12-11-2011, 03:56 AM
just disclose and ask them if they want it hacked or reverted

onion
12-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I recently sold mine on eBay. I kept in close communication with the guy I sold it to, explaining the hack, providing links to different versions and outlining what the advantages and disadvantages were.

He ended up opting for the lpowell high reliability patch and understands he can revert to unhacked if he wants

If you sell it hacked, you must inform the buyer and get his agreement on what hack to apply. Otherwise, if he gets recording failures, he could claim you sold him a defective product.

Martti Ekstrand
12-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Nice solution: Unhack and include a SD card with a patch that has worked reliably for you plus a written short explanation with links to the hack section here and personal view. That way you've leave it up to the buyer to make a active choice to have a hacked camera and yourself out of responsibility.

Simple solution: unhack and let the buyer himself find out about the hack.

thegoldfi
12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Martti, that's not a bad idea. i think i may just do that.

i don't know if the purchaser would care all that much for the hack anyway by the sounds of it.