PDA

View Full Version : Pl lens adapter for ef version of canon c300?

TwinCitiesShooter
12-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Wanted to throw out this question to the more mechanically inclined members. Let's make the assumption that the C300 will not have the same mirror mechanism that DSLRs have. Does this mean that the flange depth on PL lenses is no longer an impediment with this camera and that it will be possible to make a PL lens adapter for the EF version of the C300? I'm considering buying the EF version and will enjoy using all my Canon lenses on it, but occasionally will want to shoot with PL lenses.

Speculation welcome. ;-)

cowpunk52
12-10-2011, 04:41 PM
http://kcwtechnica.com/shop/pl-mount-to-canon-eos-7d-5d-mark-ii-adapter-v2a

TwinCitiesShooter
12-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I know of that one, but it won't work for all PL lenses. I'm hoping someone will make something that will work just as well as the PL version of the C300. Don't know the mechanics behind the issue though, to know if it's possible.

Joe Media
12-10-2011, 05:01 PM
I would think that someone like Hot Rod Camera would make an adapter. I have their m4/3 to PL and it's a tank.

TwinCitiesShooter
12-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Hear that, Hot Rod? Get crackin'.

Jim Martin
12-10-2011, 06:40 PM
The problem with all the adapters is far focus.......and I'm sure if Canon could have made an adapter that worked 100%, they would have done just 1 camera instead of 2....and I think they also felt that with the bigger PL zoom lenses, it was better to have a dedicated PL camera.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Barry_Green
12-10-2011, 07:09 PM
An EOS mount camera with a PL adapter wouldn't be able to read the Cooke /I metadata, whereas a true PL camera could. So I can see why they would make two versions for their intended market. But I think the budget owner-op would probably be quite well served by the EF version with a mechanical PL adapter and some sort of mount support.

TwinCitiesShooter
12-10-2011, 08:30 PM
That's exactly what I need. I would think there are a lot of people in the same boat - shooting with EF lenses for most projects, but then needing PL lenses on the occasional job. But I don't know the mechanics, if it's physically possible to make a PL mount for the camera that would work for most PL lenses without major issues with back focus or flange depth...

lrtv
03-25-2012, 04:27 AM
Just saw this one
http://cinescopophilia.com/triad-canon-c300-camera-ef-to-pl-lens-mount-adapter/
BUT, look at bottom inside C300 house. Looks like they have removed the connector for EF lenses (most likely to fit PL lenses).
Not a very good solution?

Erik Naso
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Anything new on this idea?

Finnegan
01-09-2013, 04:42 PM
I would think there are a lot of people in the same boat - shooting with EF lenses for most projects, but then needing PL lenses on the occasional job.

I shoot with EF lenses for most projects but every once in a while am in need of cinema lenses, not necessarily PL ones. Is there a reason for wanting to get lenses other than compact primes or the Canon cine primes? Both will fit the EF mount on a C300.

Noel Evans
01-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Finnegan comes down to making a desired lens choice for aesthetics and availability.

Noel Evans
01-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Anything new on this idea?

I havent heard anything. Boils back to the issue of the EF lens contacts being in the way.

Erik Naso
01-09-2013, 09:45 PM
I would like to use my Red 17-50 on the C300 but info on the KCW adapter isn’t clear if it will work.

peytons
01-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Eric there is a rental house in LA using the Triad adapter on occasion. I haven't tried it yet on my c300, or any c300 for that matter, but they seem pretty confident in it. Not sure if they have tried the Red 17-50 though.

HD Gear Guru
01-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Eric there is a rental house in LA using the Triad adapter on occasion. I haven't tried it yet on my c300, or any c300 for that matter, but they seem pretty confident in it. Not sure if they have tried the Red 17-50 though.

The Triad works very well. I consider it a converter and not an adapter. It does require removal of the EF mount and contacts strip/ribbon cable. A number of NYC rental houses have also taken these. It is a solid mount that ties into the cold shoe of the camera and offers topside iris rods. Don't know anyone renting it though they might. It is not something that I would want to be changing every day.

Mark Smith
01-12-2013, 01:32 PM
I just received my KCW PL to ef adapter today and while I have a number of PL lenses I could use on my C 300 and that fit with the adapter , the flange focal distance on the adapter is so far out as to be laughable. I'm returning this piece as interesting as it might be at some point.