PDA

View Full Version : Guerilla Terminator

J.R. Hudson
05-21-2005, 02:05 PM
I watched the Documentary "The Termininator: A Retrospective" on the Special Edition Terminator DVD and was surprised to see the following:

They had alotted some cash to do some pick-up's after production had wrapped and needed to get this shot of the Terminators head in the hydraulic press as the red eye fizzles out of power.

The press is made of Foam-Core and Spray Painted Silver
The Smoke is from someone literally blowing cigarette smoke across the frame
The head is made of Crushed Tin Foil
The little inserted light was dialed down to fade out

This is the kind of Guerilla Style Filmmaking story I like to here. This entire shot can be re-created in our own garages in a day after running to Michaels Art Store for probally $25.00

http://img268.echo.cx/img268/3906/tguerilla1xq.jpg

mr._guiyotinne
05-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Thatīs awesome information, it just points out the obvious, imagination is guerilla filmaking best weapon.

I feel inspired. I have this DVD and wached lot of times and never found this bit. Maybe itīs a different version...

Jim Brennan
05-21-2005, 10:42 PM
I think we often forget that the only thing that matters is what the camera sees...not how we get it.

Great bit of info John.

Nick Adams
05-23-2005, 08:15 AM
I remember see that years ago, It's cool to see when they do that, but if you watch the docs that film was total low budg and could have turned out crap, but it didn't.... listening to cameron talk about sleeping on some guy's floor and eating a big mac once a day was inspiring.....

J.R. Hudson
05-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Inspiring it is!

Cool to think he was already 30 when he directed The Terminator (and prior to that Piranha 2 being 28 and mid 20's with FX work on Escape from New York and Battle Beyond the Stars). I dig Cameron although kind of let-down with his 'Directing' inactivity since Titanic (which I loved).

I mean since Titanic he's done:

Dark Angle - TV Development and Directed one episode
Earthship TV - Huh?
Expedition Bismark - Huh?
Ghosts of the Abyss - Huh?
Aliens of the Deep - Oh for Christ sake let it go Jim!
Battle Angel - I don't know Sounds kind of weird:

Set in the 26th century, the story takes place 300 years after a societal collapse caused by a major war. In that society, it's a technological dark age following a pinnacle of achievement far beyond where we are right now. Cyborg technology is a way of life. People are augmented a lot as workers, so being a cyborg is not unusual. The main character is a cyborg. She has an organic human brain, and she looks like she's about fourteen years old. She has a completely artificial body and she's lost her memory. She is found in a wreckage and reconstituted by a cyber-surgeon who becomes her surrogate father.

Whatever Jim.

I appreciate him pursuing what is obviously a passion for him; underwater exploration? I suppose if I went on to do some TITANIC caliber film and made bank off it I'd disapear fro awhile Sailing Around the World most likely on a Documentray of my travels.

Still; Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, T2, True Lies, Titanic and then...................... NADA.

Sad Max
05-23-2005, 01:15 PM
I think we often forget that the only thing that matters is what the camera sees...not how we get it.

That might be the sharpest observation I've seen anyone make, here.

mr._guiyotinne
05-23-2005, 08:33 PM
John, put some hope in Battle angel Alita, itīs a great Manga anime and Cameron can make the best of it! Itīs like terminator 4 should be (kinda).

All this Sci-fi jargon donīt help what you said, but if you get the books by coincidence, probably you will finish loving the idea as i did when i first hear it was him interested on it. And there wonīt be a lot of cheesy dialog (although he drives it very well, at least better than G.L.).

dvpixl
06-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Battle Angel sounds like he's trying to go with the whole Terminator theme. But then again, it's not like Cameron's been only making movies about cyborgs. Titanic was a different take for him... even though he has a vast interest in the underwater world- Abyss.

but I'd rather see a director expand on his favorite subject instead of trying to have great range. if you dont have it, you dont have it.