PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Using Aquamotion V2 on GH2 with some new toys

noam
12-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I just picked up the Lumix 1.4 25mm today along with the new Pico Dolly and some other little accessories. I'm very happy with both products so far.

After playing around with different hacks for a while I decided to stay with Aquamotion. It gives me great results without limiting recording time which is often a factor for me on narrative projects. Also for 95% of my work, you would never tell the difference in the final product between this hack and seaquake.

The results I have been getting have been very exiting so far. I took a test shot in a bathroom with nearly no light - just a tiny bit of daylight through a one inch crack in the door opening. I cranked the ISO to 2500 and opened up to 1.4 to see if the footage would even be close to useable. I was astounded at the image quality. Very minimal grain. Looked like the grain I would get at 640 with the original firmware. What was odd though, was that I tested another shot at 1250 with the same settings and location, and it seemed noisier. Not sure if it actually was, or if it was just more apparent because of the lowered exposure, but nonetheless it was there.

What I was hoping for most with the GOP1 hack was that panning would become more fluid. I haven't done any proper testing on that yet, but has anyone noticed smoother panning shots when using a hacked GOP1 gh2 vs the stock firmware?

noam
12-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Two more questions to add to this:

With the hack, is the footage now acceptable by most HD broadcasters that require higher data rates from the camera?
And now when I record, my ISO changes to say auto, even though it's already been set and doesn't auto adjust during recording. Doesn't bother me, but i'm just curious why it doesn't display the current ISO

graphicnatured
12-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I agree with you on the quality of Aquamotion. I read somewhere that the ISO noise at certain intervals seems odd. Just need to work around it. I'll see if I can find the article. I too see auto ISO only. I guess it is just like not seeing the menu change with the new abilities, but oh boy, oh boy..... what a difference. On my 52 inch LCD, the footage looks absolutely fantastic. I don't see how there would be a problem with broadcast.

mr bill
12-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Technically, I'm sure that some of the material being produced by the new driftwood hacks would easily qualify for hd broadcast. However, it's the very word 'hacked' that's going to be a turn off for broadcasters. There'll be arguments about reliability and using a 'hack' for critical image acquisition. And could a broadcaster be tacitly seen to be supporting 'hacking' by accepting footage from cameras that have been through this process? I somehow doubt it.