PDA

View Full Version : Plain white room?

Shauno
12-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Hello gang, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I am going to make a plain white room?

I had the idea of creating a kind of Lab?

Much like what Mila Jovavich's character wakes up in, in Resident Evil.

Or where Nicholas Cage's character wakes up in, in Matchstick Men.

Ideally, I want to just create a very white room, that looks kind of dreamy.

The idea that I had was to make a 30 x 20ft frame from, cheap plumbing piping (With securing pipes)

And then making a cheap white drape to go all around...

Can anyone suggest other ideas?

clang
12-03-2011, 11:35 AM
If you want the walls to look deliberately fake/insubstantial/temporary/unreal, then yes that could work fine - you could even use fans or wind to make the walls move slightly. Remember lighting too - many ultra-white rooms seen in films are deliberately over-exposed (either during shooting or in post).

Shauno
12-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Indeed, I was thinking about that... Thanks for your input.. It needs to be like that, but then the same room, needs to transpose into a bedroom...

To offer a riddle..

My plan is to get something like cheap chipboard, use that as walls...

Ken Hull
12-04-2011, 12:22 AM
How about shooting green screen, then you can control the brightness of the "walls" separately from the subject. The "walls" could be just a simple white graphic, or for a surreal dream effect maybe a swirling liquid or a fast-motion video of clouds going by.

Doing greenscreen would also make the transition to a bedroom easy: Just crossfade the background from the "walls" image to a bedroom image, while the subject remains in the foreground.

My 2 cents worth :)
- Ken

Shauno
12-09-2011, 12:10 AM
But the problem there would be that the cost would go up.

The only workaround I can see, would be to make a large frame out of wood and then create the "walls" with wooden cheap thinish chipboard, wallpaper over this and then paint with lime green lighting.

The only downside to this would be the lighting. With the other method, using a fabric, I would be able to light from the outside, with this method I would more than likely have to light from the inside.

starcentral
12-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Do you really just needa white room with nothing in it - or are you actually trying to make it look like a lab with all the typical lab stuff you would see in one?

If just a white room, I have to think you can find someone with a white room in their house that has not been painted or anything. Perhaps a large basement room somewhere? Mind you 20x30ft is pretty big.

If you want a "lab look" I suggest you just find a lab. I have similar set requirements for an upcoming project and think it will be easier and more believable if I just shoot in an actual lab.

BLahey
12-28-2011, 02:54 PM
hit up a local tv station, you may get some usage out of the white sikes. (syke, cyc, however the hell you spell it)

mörkö
12-29-2011, 01:41 AM
Just in case it isn't clear to someone, I think what BLahey means is officially spelled cyclorama :) An infity cyc is one that blends seamlessly into a white floor also. Photography studios often have something similar so that might be an option.

gonzo_entertainment
12-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Just in case it isn't clear to someone, I think what BLahey means is officially spelled cyclorama :) An infity cyc is one that blends seamlessly into a white floor also. Photography studios often have something similar so that might be an option.

In my town the guys with Studios that have just the wall will rent for about $150 to $250 a day. You can rent the one place in town with a full cove (blends into two side walls as well as floor and ceiling) for $500 a half day plus $150 painting fee (they repaint the white after every use).

BLahey
12-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Yep, thats exactly what I meant,..