PDA

View Full Version : GH2 A Few Questions About Hacked GH2s

Ryan Farnes
11-26-2011, 09:15 PM
1) Is 8-bit essentially the biggest limiting factor at this point? In the footage I'm looking at, it lack of color gradation at times sticks out to me. However, the clarity is astounding for a camera such as this.

2) Is the clarity why the "lack of gradation" or "banding" stick out to me? Are the Canon's softer and so the colors blend a bit better even though also 8-bit?

3) Will all or most hacks perform normally when the camera is in ETC mode? I shoot long lens footage and intend to make use of the ETC mode.

4) Are the different types of settings actually different "hacks," or different flavors of the same hack?

5) Is footage from a hack still slightly improvable through conversion via 5DtoRGB?

roei z
11-27-2011, 01:05 AM
1) Is 8-bit essentially the biggest limiting factor at this point? In the footage I'm looking at, it lack of color gradation at times sticks out to me. However, the clarity is astounding for a camera such as this.

2) Is the clarity why the "lack of gradation" or "banding" stick out to me? Are the Canon's softer and so the colors blend a bit better even though also 8-bit?

3) Will all or most hacks perform normally when the camera is in ETC mode? I shoot long lens footage and intend to make use of the ETC mode.

4) Are the different types of settings actually different "hacks," or different flavors of the same hack?

5) Is footage from a hack still slightly improvable through conversion via 5DtoRGB?

1- yes :( it's like the more you stretch the codec you also see the downsides. i'm still wondering myself on how to handle it..

2- yes ;) - the lower quality of the canon (which i personally hate) keep the banding less visible, but it's there.

3- not sure.

4- the hack is the software that enables you to create different experiments with all the codec settings- one result is the incredible "seaquake" (btw- i hacked my cam on the weekend. piece of cake. it's all very simple, safe, and just plain fun)

5- not sure.

btw- i noticed you are one of the Scarlet forum enthusiasts.. i was waiting on that too for a while.. but luckily i bought the GH2 when it came out, and never looked back. turns out i made the right choice. all the "pro Red" equipment is way over my budget and needs. especially how Scarlet turned out to be.

did you buy the GH2?

7hau
11-27-2011, 05:35 AM
3. Some hack settings might be unstable in ETC or slow-mo mode; some would be stable with fast cards like sandisks. I face instability with Kingston Class 10 card in ETC mode using Cbrandin 44M setting, after I changed to Sandisk 30MB cards, all went smoothly then.

stoneinapond
11-27-2011, 07:35 AM
3. Some hack settings might be unstable in ETC or slow-mo mode; some would be stable with fast cards like sandisks. I face instability with Kingston Class 10 card in ETC mode using Cbrandin 44M setting, after I changed to Sandisk 30MB cards, all went smoothly then.

I hacked my camera last night with the Cbrandin 44 setting. I'm using Class 6 SanDisk cards and with some very early and casual testing, I see no problems with the ETC mode. 1080 24p works well, but I've yet to try the other modes.

Ryan Farnes
11-27-2011, 08:55 AM
btw- i noticed you are one of the Scarlet forum enthusiasts.. i was waiting on that too for a while.. but luckily i bought the GH2 when it came out, and never looked back. turns out i made the right choice. all the "pro Red" equipment is way over my budget and needs. especially how Scarlet turned out to be.

did you buy the GH2?

I haven't bought a GH2 yet. Whenever the next price drop happens, I'll get a 14-42 kit.

Scarlet was always the wonder camera I had hoped to get. When the price was up around $5-6000, I started figuring I'd try to get one to replace our HPX-170 at work. When it came out as Scarlet-X, that all changed. Now I'll need to figure out an adequate replacement for our 170, but I'm getting the GH2 for my personal stuff. I got a 7D back in 2009 and briefly had a T2i before switching to the T3i. Now that I've seen GH2 footage, particularly with the hack, in my mind it creates a superior image.

ed_lee83
11-27-2011, 08:58 AM
3. According to Driftwood's patch descriptions, SPANmyBITCHup and AQuamotion2 works with EX TELE