PDA

View Full Version : GH2 gh2 and rode videomic pro: favourite settings?

Geesbert
11-21-2011, 11:30 AM
What is your prefered setting for this combo for general use? Just people taking indoors, for example.

I hacked my gh2, but didn't change the audio settings. should I do that?

cesardeuve
11-21-2011, 01:03 PM
hi geesbert
search in the forum... you will find more precise info
from what i read here... mic set to 0 & gh2 mic level set to 1 seems the best option..
i got my video mic pro few days ago... just play with a little bit
regards

mcbob
11-21-2011, 01:33 PM
That's the same I use.

Or, whatever doesn't clip.

Zxander34
12-25-2011, 04:07 PM
For this reason does the rode videomic pro offer any benefits to GH2 users, considering the 20+ and level 1 settings do not mix?

Would it make more sense to just purchase the standard videomic?

Zxander34
12-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Anyone?

Allan Black
12-25-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't have the gh2.

But for recording speech, the general rule is to position the mic to within 2 feet of the speakers mouth.

This produces 'presence' in speech recording which translates to clarity and intelligability, especially when the person is not a pro voice and maybe English is not their first language.

So that means positioning any mic off the camera closer to the voice .. whatever brand it is. However the advantage the Videomic Pro has over the Videomic is the +20dB gain switch which, once you get familiar with it boosts the level to avoid having to raise it in post.

But mounting the VMP on the camera, switching on the +20dB gain, recording a voice from say, 15+ feet back and seeing it register Ok on the audio meter doesn't mean it is Ok. You've most likely recorded all the background sounds and clutter as well, making the speech unintelligable.

You need to monitor all recording, especially voice, with headphones. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Zxander34
12-25-2011, 09:38 PM
I understand that it is common knowledge to go off cam when recording, but I'm no pro and that's simply not an option for me. This is just one man band interview stuff. I am aware that the preamps in these dslrs are quite awful and that by turning them off you will achieve better audio. However, the GH2 still has AGC albeit in steps and what I've heard from various "online testers" is that they seem to get the best sound at step one with 0 db from their respective miss. Therefore is there any practical reason to go with the Videomic pro over the lesser videomic in sheer terms of audio quality?

Allan Black
12-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Well the Rode Videomic was first released in 2003 and their Videomic Pro in 2010.

My industry experience says that at least 4 or more generations of audio chip components have come and gone since then. But from your point of view, it depends on what you record to notice the quality improvement .. classical music? yes.

I appreciate you're operating solo, but if you intend recording interviews for post production and posterity, I'd investigate a separate audio recorder and a simple static mic boom, along with your VMP. I'd say those extras will definately be noticeable .. and by every single one of your viewers.

Another advantge is, when you come to sell the VMP it'll command a better resale price.

But get the VMP first and try it out.

Cheers.

tcarretti
12-26-2011, 04:26 AM
I typically use the original Rode Videomic on the 0 setting with the GH2 set at level 1. I also use a cheap ($20) mic stand with a telescopic arm so that I can position the mic closer to the action (interview subject, actors, etc...) You can safely use up to a 10' extension cable without introducing addition noise. I'm a "one man band" as well, and it certain helps to be able to position the mic closer to the talent and away from the camera. Difference in quality of audio is extremely noticeable this way.

Hope that helps,

Tony

Zxander34
12-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks tcarrettl, I think I'm going to go with the original videomic to save a little bit of money and pick up an external recorder(DR100).

Edit-Also these are not sit down interviews, narratives, etc. just on the street interviews by me and me alone. :happy: