View Full Version : GH2 Seaquake + Slow Motion Burst Patch for 95MB/s SDXC

Sage
11-20-2011, 03:12 PM
GH2-X Patch

GH2-X is:
1. a GH2 (film mode set to Smooth -2)
2. a 64GB 95 MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro card
3. GH2-X Patch {Driftwood's SeAQuake + AQ3 Vari Burst}
GH2-X is highest quality, practicality, and reliability (for the cinema shooter)
Closest you can come to RED without spending $13k more..

UPDATE 11/25: Improved burst time/stability for 60p. You can 'ride' iso 160 for unlimited duration (60,50,30) on the 64GB 95MB/s card, & even on lesser class 10 cards.
Top quality AQ3 720p burst w/ Seaquake
60p: 3 gop, 230k bytes* per frame, 7 seconds minimum
50p: 1 gop, 280k bytes* per frame, 9 seconds minimum
30p (80%): 1 gop, 770k bytes* per frame, 9 seconds minimum (original part of seaquake)

Times reported for this card (burst time will be cut in half or less for slower):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824149-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXPA_064G_A75_Extreme_Pro_64GB_SDHC_SDX C.html
+Also note: 24p Seaquake will span for the whole of this card only* (57 mins)
{Thank you Jspatz, for taking the time to test each iteration!}

Download:
(http://sagepictures.com/setj.zip)44271

For Beginners: Comprehensive and clear instructions on how to install the GH2-X patch:
http://www.sam-mallery.com/2011/11/an-ez-guide-to-hacking-the-panasonic-gh2/
(http://www.sam-mallery.com/2011/11/an-ez-guide-to-hacking-the-panasonic-gh2/)IMPORTANT: If installing firmware on a new GH2, install this first:

720 60p:
http://sagepictures.com/burst25-2.png (http://sagepictures.com/burst25-2.png)

Ryan Farnes
11-20-2011, 06:23 PM
As one just finally migrating to reading more and more about the GH2 now that I've seen the light...explain the burst thing to me.

Is it just that you can't typically shoot these high bit rates at 60p? And so now you can for 8-9 seconds?

Sage
11-20-2011, 06:51 PM
That's right. (PV user Jspatz has confirmed that all the speeds will do their predicted times under max stress and are fully stable)
The quality of Driftwood's Seaquake patch really impressed (uncompressed-like), and with the release of this high spec card that can keep up w/ the Gh2, its now possible to come close to that quality at higher speeds w/ reasonable burst times.

This particular combo of card and patch is the highest quality the camera is currently capable of (the mini scarlet).
The breakdown of resolution with the combo is this:

24fps - 1.9K - 57 minutes
30fps - 1.9K - 9 seconds
40 fps - 2.4K - 1 second (gh2's secret IMAX mode ;) )
50 fps - 1.3K - 9 seconds
60 fps - 1.3K - 7 seconds

(Keep in mind, these burst times are minimums at max complexity like high iso - at iso 160, you will experience superior compression/burst times)

moviemaykr
11-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Hey Sage its great to see you actually using the Driftwood's Seaquake patch and Im sure all us would love to see some cinematic footage of that patch. I just recently finished my first feature film "Fear Live Here" on a Canon 5D with great Zeiss lenses. I have seen it color corrected on a 20 foot screen and I'm very impressed for that camera but I'm hoping the GH2 with the Driftwood's Seaquake patch can give me a better all around cinematic look after its been professionally color corrected on something like Da Vinci Resolve.

Has anyone set up a Vimeo channel for just footage from Driftwood's patches?
Thanks for everything and keep it coming,
Michael
www.fearlivesheremovie.com

roei z
11-24-2011, 10:41 AM
yey!
vote for a driftwood seaquake channel !
and please, a sample of 60p slo-mo

Driftwood
11-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Watch seAQuake and other new patches in action at;-
http://vimeo.com/32563119

or download ungraded footage at

dl.dropbox.com/u/14239185/CONTENTS.zip

(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14239185/CONTENTS.zip)

roei z
11-24-2011, 11:40 AM
My god, you really did your homework Driftwood.Amazing footage.What the minimum card reqirements for The full hq seaquake?

moviemaykr
11-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks Nick for all you are doing. If I was a millionaire, I would hire Vitally and yourself and create a camera such as the GH2 that uses a PL mount and can shoot 3k including 120 frames per second would be put a huge dent of all the overpriced 4k cameras which end up getting scaled down to 2k to watch in most theaters and definitely for all tv broadcasts.
I know people scream for 4k but for the next few years 3k would be amazing and justify selling that type of camera for around $3000 and I'm sure some people would gladly pay up to $5000 for a camera like that.
Take for example the new Go Pro Hero HD2 does 2k at 120 frames and looks great. The day they get that little camera to do 3k with 120 frames, a mic input to connect something an Zoom HN4 for $500 it will be the hottest little camera on the market. As much as we all like to talk shop and pixel peep, the movie "Like Crazy" shot on the 7D for a budget of $250,000 and sold at Sundance for $4 million.
My question to Nick is how far can we push the patches with the GH2 and I wonder what Panasonic will do to improve with the GH3.

L1N3ARX
11-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Has anyone set up a Vimeo channel for just footage from Driftwood's patches?
Thanks for everything and keep it coming,
Michael
www.fearlivesheremovie.com (http://www.fearlivesheremovie.com)

You know I'm on a similar mission... I am shooting things here and there with all the new patches with the express purpose of trying to get "the film look". I tell you... it just keeps getting easier with these new patches. Here's my vimeo channel, only a couple vids for now... but some of my best footage I'm saving for a video I'll be uploading within a couple weeks. http://vimeo.com/user8831239/videos

Danielvilliers
11-24-2011, 02:15 PM
You know I'm on a similar mission... I am shooting things here and there with all the new patches with the express purpose of trying to get "the film look". I tell you... it just keeps getting easier with these new patches. Here's my vimeo channel, only a couple vids for now... but some of my best footage I'm saving for a video I'll be uploading within a couple weeks. http://vimeo.com/user8831239/videos

Really liked your video on vimeo :-)

roei z
11-24-2011, 02:24 PM

these are terrific !
i must start experimenting, but that mean starting saving money for a serious Sandisk.

L1N3ARX
11-24-2011, 02:53 PM
i must start experimenting, but that mean starting saving money for a serious Sandisk.

Definitely. If you are into the patches at all, you definitely owe it yourself to get a 32gb 30/mbps Extreme III at the very least... they perform absolutely flawless.

roei z
11-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Definitely. If you are into the patches at all, you definitely owe it yourself to get a 32gb 30/mbps Extreme III at the very least... they perform absolutely flawless.

i could get THIS:

, or the class III 30/MBs.

this 45MB one is a good one? what's its class?

L1N3ARX
11-24-2011, 03:19 PM
this 45MB one is a good one? what's its class?

The 45mbps ones seem to have issues with panasonic cameras. The one time I tried one, I couldn't get it to film longer than 45 seconds. They don't work well with the patches... it's a pretty noted problem, if you check out the personal view website they explain it more in detail. The 30/mbps extreme III seems to be the standard if you want consistency with the high end patches.

I'm not aware of a class rating for the "extreme series" of sandisk cards. I have a transcend class 10 and it still works great with the majority of the patches; just that they won't play nice with any of Driftwood's eye popping 176mbps gop1 goodness.

roei z
11-24-2011, 03:29 PM
i wish i could buy the newer hdxc ones but they're still
Very pricy..

wrxer1
11-25-2011, 01:41 AM
I'm looking to use Twixtor for ~300fps equivalent, would this be the best patch?
All your work is much appreciated!

Ryan Farnes
11-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Watch seAQuake and other new patches in action at;-
http://vimeo.com/32563119

or download ungraded footage at

dl.dropbox.com/u/14239185/CONTENTS.zip

(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14239185/CONTENTS.zip)

Very cool.

I apologize for my newbishness, but I downloaded the zipped file and see several folders. The "VIDEO" folder has "0001K5.MXF" in it. I tried to open that in VLC, but it says I don't have the proper decoder or something.

Do I need another piece of software to play this stuff back?

Driftwood
11-25-2011, 04:30 AM
Hi Ryan, You need an NLE to open it really. There are converters out there but not many do a good job. YUse Premiere Pro or FCP, or Sony Vegas on PC.

karapetkov
11-25-2011, 06:31 AM
Great!

I wonder if you can work with these framerates when capturing uncompressed through hdmi?

Sage
11-25-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm looking to use Twixtor for ~300fps equivalent, would this be the best patch?
All your work is much appreciated!

It is.
Keep in mind, you have to plan for the shot within the burst, and you need a 95MB/s Sandisk to have reasonable burst times.

Great!

I wonder if you can work with these framerates when capturing uncompressed through hdmi?

720 won't go out over hdmi, but 1080 60i will. W/ a recorder like the ninja, that is the way to go.

Sage
11-25-2011, 10:18 AM
The patch is updated 11/25*

Sage
11-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Jspatz has confirmed; 7 secs under max stress on 60p on the 95MB/s card. Its open season. Thank you Jspatz. ++

Cosimo Bullo
11-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Just took the leap and bought the 64gb from B and H.

keep it moving Jay
11-25-2011, 02:54 PM
The patch is updated 11/25*

in the patch vault?

karapetkov
11-25-2011, 03:01 PM
720 won't go out over hdmi, but 1080 60i will. W/ a recorder like the ninja, that is the way to go.

Thank you.

Per Lichtman
11-25-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't see any patch updates by Driftwood today anywhere on Personal-View.com. Am I missing something?

wrxer1
11-25-2011, 08:07 PM
How many seconds with the Sandisk Extreme 30mbps cards?

Ryan Farnes
11-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi Ryan, You need an NLE to open it really. There are converters out there but not many do a good job. YUse Premiere Pro or FCP, or Sony Vegas on PC.

Hehe, thanks. I did a log and transfer on FCP and pulled it in that way.

Really great stuff.

Why does some of it looks aliased, like the ferris wheel?

Sage
11-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Just took the leap and bought the 64gb from B and H.

Way to go Cosimo. Most stable platform.

in the patch vault?

Its in there now

How many seconds with the Sandisk Extreme 30mbps cards?

About 3-4 minimum. You can ride iso 160 continuously; though I recommend the 95MB/s for double the duration.

Sage
11-26-2011, 09:36 AM
For shorthand, I'm going to refer to the particular combo of

1. a GH2
2. a 95 MB/s Sandisk Extreme card
3. this Seaquake/Burst patch

...as a GH2-X. A little Red reference.

As a title, it also serves as a quality standard; it means that you can record highest intra quality nonstop at 24fps 1.9k without breaking a sweat. It means you have overcrank modes that live up to the Driftwood Seaquake 24fps quality and have reasonable burst rates. Everything works at highest quality, no quirks or reliability issues. For cinema shooters going into the Gh2 hack world, that removes much of the FUD from the process. GH2-X to me is a shorthand for: quality, practicality, and reliability (for the cinema shooter).

keep it moving Jay
11-26-2011, 09:41 AM
checked patch vault but i only see your comments, no attached file :)

Sage
11-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Its in the first post:
http://sagepictures.com/setj.zip

(http://sagepictures.com/setj.ini)Its important that they read the post first, as the patch is intended for the 95MB/s cards.

cowpunk52
11-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Well, after doing some testing with SeaQuake, I pulled the trigger on two of those 64GB Sandisk 95MB/s cards. Incredibly beautiful footage, and further solidifies my belief that the GH2 is the best value in large-sensor digital cinema under $10k, perhaps even beyond. I'll be shooting a no-budget feature on a hacked GH2 with Canon FD primes in January - very excited.

keep it moving Jay
11-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Its in the first post:
http://sagepictures.com/setj.zip

(http://sagepictures.com/setj.ini)Its important that they read the post first, as the patch is intended for the 95MB/s cards.

thanks, are you creating a patch with the data numbers? not that I'm lazy but want to make sure i don't place a 6 when it's a 7 through the excitement of it all. thanks!!!

missed that patch link... got it.

ed_lee83
11-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I also pulled the trigger on the Sandisk 95mb cards... got a 32gig for US$116

GraphicPlanet
11-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi Sage, will this patch span so I can do longer interviews with it?

keep it moving Jay
11-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Hi Sage, will this patch span so I can do longer interviews with it?

it does span but I'm wondering if it spans all modes, 1080 720 etc

GraphicPlanet
11-26-2011, 09:32 PM
I also pulled the trigger on the Sandisk 95mb cards... got a 32gig for US$116

How many minutes do you get with your 32g card using this patch?

keep it moving Jay
11-26-2011, 09:58 PM
GH2-X Patch

GH2-X is:
1. a GH2 (film mode set to Smooth -2)
2. a 95 MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro card

Sage what made you switch to smooth -2 from cinema? you were an advocate for cinema just a few days ago. curious.

peanutbutter
11-26-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure I understand what this hack means? What happened to the previous hacks that people were raving about a couple of months ago?

What makes this one better? Please explain.

Thank you very much!

Cosimo Bullo
11-26-2011, 10:49 PM
peanutbutter - You're going to need to go back to some older posts about the hack concept in general, I think. The stuff being discussed in this thread is fairly specific to GOP1 and very high bandwidths.

Sage
11-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Sage what made you switch to smooth -2 from cinema? you were an advocate for cinema just a few days ago. curious.

I've only used smooth -2, since the beginning. I think you may be referring to this (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?267441-Driftwood-s-latest-is-Exceptional&p=2476190#post2476190) post. I was responding to qwerty123, who was confident with his understanding of cinema. However, a few posts previous I wrote:
"The hacks do improve the banding significantly. Use smooth -2 for top quality roll off"

The situation is this; if cinema, whether because of the name, the in cam curve look, or the loss of the noisiest part of the DR, gives him more confidence to tell a better story, he should use it. When I was getting started in making movies with friends, I had no idea what color grading was, nor did I have access to the tools to do it. What the camera recorded to VHS is what we got. At that time, the more cinematic the image was on the screen, the more confident I was to tell a good story. Here cinema mode can be a godsend.

For those gearing up to shoot a feature that might end up on the big screen, cinema film mode has no place. I assume that a skilled colorist will be working with the footage, if not by the original team, then by the studio who buys it and will pay a colorist to present in the best light. In this case, cinema is a huge disadvantage, because the bottom noisy part of the dr is lost and the rest is next to black (which is not a good thing even with hacked avchd, banding) and the roll off to highlight is allowed to be rendered after the blue channel blows out (which causes a hard-to-remove yellow shift on overexposed areas). Smooth is a big advantage, as it lifts the shadow (with entire dr, noise & all) away from pure black, and applies a bit of logarithmic curve to roll off the highlight without shifting to yellow. It also retains accurate color. For a good colorist, it is a few clicks to make it look better than cinema mode ever could.

Sage
11-27-2011, 08:40 AM

About 30. For interviews, which have little motion, are well lit, and require a lot of consecutive recording time, you may be better served by going with a patch like CBrandin's 44. GH2-X is ideal for narrative fiction films which need continuous recording at highest quality 24fps, and equal quality slow motion at the expense of limited burst time for those slomo modes.

keep it moving Jay
11-27-2011, 08:36 PM
GH2-X was removed from the patch vault on personal view, any issues Sage?

ed_lee83
11-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Well, I just did a test with only seAQuake and got 4:05 minutes before spanning stopped. That equalled 4.29gb. So roughly calculating it would record about 30 minutes total.

karapetkov
11-28-2011, 05:18 AM
It is really great that you can record h.264 in intra mode, that's a huge boost. Kudos to all the people that have worked on these hacking projects! I will certainly be donating.

I think h.264/AVCHD also has a mathematically lossless mode, which is ~ the same as recording uncompressed. I wonder if the encoder can be set up to use that? Of course, it will be much heavier in terms of space.

Uncompressed 8bit 1080p at 24 fps comes at about 143 MB/sec.

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/webapps/video_calc.html?format=uncompressed_8_1080&frame_rate=f24&length=1&length_type=seconds

Uncompressed 720p at 50fps is slightly less.

(useful site, btw)

Lossless can shrink that to 60% and more, depending on the scene and lossless compression requires less CPU power - again, depending on the settings. I think that lossless AVCHD might be easier to encode than the other modes and that would be about 90 MB/sec. for 24 fps. So, if we can have 95 MB/sec. SD cards, I think it's possible.

Have you tried this?

If it's possible, maybe there won't be a need for external HDMI capturing.

Also, I wonder if we could also hack the SD card slot - connect an SSD or RAID to it with a custom connector and somehow "fool" the camera that this is an SD card. Lol. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Get bigger storage, top speeds.

Whacha think? :happy:

Sage
11-28-2011, 09:47 AM
GH2-X was removed from the patch vault on personal view, any issues Sage?

Yes, VK wants the zip posted on there, with full description (no link to dvx). Part of the reason he started Pv was because he felt Dvxuser had connections to Panny and AF100 interests. I will repost when I have a chance.*

Well, I just did a test with only seAQuake and got 4:05 minutes before spanning stopped. That equalled 4.29gb. So roughly calculating it would record about 30 minutes total.

That is unfortunate. It seems that only the 64gb sdxc card will span, which is highest in cost. A similar effect was experienced with the difference between 8gb and 16gb on the 30MB/s cards. It must be a doubling of the signal path architecture in the card's connector allotment.

What 80% burst times are you getting at iso12800? That will give an idea of the card throughput. (shake the camera over the course of the shot for max codec stress)

JMZ
11-28-2011, 01:49 PM
For shorthand, I'm going to refer to the particular combo of

1. a GH2
2. a 95 MB/s Sandisk Extreme card
3. this Seaquake/Burst patch

...as a GH2-X. A little Red reference.

As a title, it also serves as a quality standard; it means that you can record highest intra quality nonstop at 24fps 1.9k without breaking a sweat. It means you have overcrank modes that live up to the Driftwood Seaquake 24fps quality and have reasonable burst rates. Everything works at highest quality, no quirks or reliability issues. For cinema shooters going into the Gh2 hack world, that removes much of the FUD from the process. GH2-X to me is a shorthand for: quality, practicality, and reliability (for the cinema shooter).

GH2-X. I like it. Count me in.

Now if only I wasn't sitting here on hold with the retailer.

ed_lee83
11-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Yes, VK wants the zip posted on there, with full description (no link to dvx). Part of the reason he started Pv was because he felt Dvxuser had connections to Panny and AF100 interests. I will repost when I have a chance.*

That is unfortunate. It seems that only the 64gb sdxc card will span, which is highest in cost. A similar effect was experienced with the difference between 8gb and 16gb on the 30MB/s cards. It must be a doubling of the signal path architecture in the card's connector allotment.

What 80% burst times are you getting at iso12800? That will give an idea of the card throughput. (shake the camera over the course of the shot for max codec stress)
Not toooo bad for me I suppose, since I would only use it for snippets. I would use a lower rate hack for my standard commercial work.
What results would that 80% test yield that we don't know yet?

Sage
11-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Not toooo bad for me I suppose, since I would only use it for snippets. I would use a lower rate hack for my standard commercial work.
What results would that 80% test yield that we don't know yet?

It would give a rough approximation of the card's speed (as opposed to the 64gb variation)

wrxer1
11-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Can we see some slow motion footage? I'm about to order that card but need some visual proof please!
Twixtored footage gets bonus points

Kholi
11-28-2011, 11:54 PM
GH2-X'd over here -- now to wake up and go find the SDXC card.

Prendi
11-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Just a few weeks back I was ready to throw down a shit ton of money for the Scarlet. Then I started doing my homework and realised that RED had over promised and under delivered (IMO). I mean, the whole windowing issue and that 1k resolution at 120fps...??

I then started looking into alternatives. FS100, AF100 and even the F3. I noticed that Ryan over at Scarlet User was get all excited about the GH2, so I thought I'd check it out again. And I have to say, why would I invest in anything more expensive?! This camera, apart from the fact that it doesn't have the functionality of a "dedicated" motion camera, is, well, kicking ass! The image looks comparable to an R1.

What these guys are doing is something truly incredible. They are doing what RED promised and failed to do. Give cinema quality images to monitory impaired film peeps.

So yeah, I'm getting a GH2 instead of a Scarlet. The money left over will be invested into a set of CP.2's... oh and a donation to these geniuses. I'm excited again :)

keep it moving Jay
11-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Brilliant. Cp.2s are gourgeous! GH2 phenomenal. my 64GB sandisks coming in the tomorrow, major trailer shoot this weekend.

I think what panny did was pure accident: "yeah lets put a tri-core processor to show these other competitors and lets add this and that..." wow!!!!

cowpunk52
11-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Can we see some slow motion footage? I'm about to order that card but need some visual proof please!
Twixtored footage gets bonus points

I've got two 64GB Sandisks arriving tomorrow, and I've got twixtor so I'll do my best to get something on line before the end of the week.

Ryan Farnes
11-29-2011, 10:52 PM
I noticed that Ryan over at Scarlet User was get all excited about the GH2, so I thought I'd check it out again.

Pietro saw the light first...months ago... :)

wrxer1
11-29-2011, 11:25 PM
I've got two 64GB Sandisks arriving tomorrow, and I've got twixtor so I'll do my best to get something on line before the end of the week.

Much appreciated Cowpunk!

roei z
11-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Just a few weeks back I was ready to throw down a shit ton of money for the Scarlet. Then I started doing my homework and realised that RED had over promised and under delivered (IMO). I mean, the whole windowing issue and that 1k resolution at 120fps...??I then started looking into alternatives. FS100, AF100 and even the F3. I noticed that Ryan over at Scarlet User was get all excited about the GH2, so I thought I'd check it out again. And I have to say, why would I invest in anything more expensive?! This camera, apart from the fact that it doesn't have the functionality of a "dedicated" motion camera, is, well, kicking ass! The image looks comparable to an R1.What these guys are doing is something truly incredible. They are doing what RED promised and failed to do. Give cinema quality images to monitory impaired film peeps.So yeah, I'm getting a GH2 instead of a Scarlet. The money left over will be invested into a set of CP.2's... oh and a donation to these geniuses. I'm excited again :) I'm all with you guys, but we still can't compare Red withThe Gh2 8-bit 4:2:0 limit... You must be aware of that..

karapetkov
11-30-2011, 03:51 AM
The money left over will be invested into a set of CP.2's... oh and a donation to these geniuses. I'm excited again :)

Welcome to the club. :)

So yeah, I'm getting a GH2 instead of a Scarlet.

Why not get two GH2-s? ;)

That way you can have:

1. 3D
2. HDR shots

(that's good enough, but maybe also have...)

3. (hypothetical nice surprise 1)
4. (hypothetical nice surprise 2)

:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

karapetkov
11-30-2011, 03:54 AM
Pietro saw the light first...months ago... :)

True. And it was his GH2/Tamron stills on Scarletuser that made me take a closer look on the camera.

So, Pietro FTW! :)

FrameFarmMedia
11-30-2011, 06:44 AM
I love the amount of community innovation with the GH2. This patch looks fantastic although my hobbiest/small production type budget can't warrant spending $500 on a SDXC 64GB Sandisk card. Can't wait till they come down in price (impatiently waiting).

DvxHerb
11-30-2011, 07:01 AM
RatLabProductions,

The cards are actually just under $200 (still a little pricey, but I just bought one):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824149-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXPA_064G_A75_Extreme_Pro_64GB_SDHC_SDX C.html

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-SDSDXPA-064G-A75-Digital-Extended-Capacity/dp/B005VDRD4C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I6SH9NANA643G&colid=1OWQQYBSSBZ7V

Park Edwards
11-30-2011, 09:39 AM
seven pages of talk, no footage? and still no explanation as to why this patch is significantly better than all the others. isn't the argument that you can push the bitrate to however high you want, but it still doesn't matter since it's 8bit 4:2:0? furthermore, why are the pro card's a must? have you tried your patch against an extreme 30/MB?

cowpunk52
11-30-2011, 09:50 AM
seven pages of talk, no footage? and still no explanation as to why this patch is significantly better than all the others. isn't the argument that you can push the bitrate to however high you want, but it still doesn't matter since it's 8bit 4:2:0? furthermore, why are the pro card's a must? have you tried your patch against an extreme 30/MB? I've shot some stuff with the GH2-X hack and a sandisk 30MB/s card and it recorded just fine. I was even able to get about 8 or 9 seconds of 720p60, but this was on a not very complex scene. However, the hack will not span in 1080p24. I believe that the 64GB cards are necessary to achieve spanning with this hack, and will be able to test when my cards arrive today. While, yes, you will be limited to 8 bit and 4:2:0 codec, the hack is intra frame and the more bits you can throw at the frames, the more detail it will hold. The GH2-X hack, and Driftwood's seaQuake is very close to uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:0 footage, and that's very exciting - especially to be able to capture it with such a small form factor and on SD cards.I'll try to do a test and post footages ASAP, but i leave tomorrow for San Francisco for a big shoot over the weekend where i'll be using the GH2-X extensively. I'll be able to post much more next week.

Park Edwards
11-30-2011, 09:57 AM
from what i can tell, it's just driftwood's sequake patch with a modified 720p and 1080i?

cowpunk52
11-30-2011, 10:20 AM
from what i can tell, it's just driftwood's sequake patch with a modified 720p and 1080i? That is correct.

Kholi
11-30-2011, 10:37 AM
seven pages of talk, no footage? and still no explanation as to why this patch is significantly better than all the others. isn't the argument that you can push the bitrate to however high you want, but it still doesn't matter since it's 8bit 4:2:0? furthermore, why are the pro card's a must? have you tried your patch against an extreme 30/MB?

I'm using SandDisk Extreme 30mb/s Card as well, and can confirm that recording 1080/24 works just fine. However, I cannot do 720/60!

I might be doing something wrong. It also may be that I'm using ETC mode when trying to record 720/60

Park Edwards
11-30-2011, 10:38 AM
so the is 720p recording at 240mb/s? or close to?

etc has always caused problems.

Kholi
11-30-2011, 10:43 AM
so the is 720p recording at 240mb/s? or close to?

etc has always caused problems.

=[ Makes me sad!

Park Edwards
11-30-2011, 10:53 AM
yeah, i saw in your other thread you're shooting with lens where you need that crop.

Kholi
11-30-2011, 11:01 AM
yeah, i saw in your other thread you're shooting with lens where you need that crop.

Gonna get some T2.1 Standard Speeds today, hopefully. See how it does without the crop.

FrameFarmMedia
11-30-2011, 11:51 AM
RatLabProductions,

The cards are actually just under $200 (still a little pricey, but I just bought one):

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-SDSDXPA-064G-A75-Digital-Extended-Capacity/dp/B005VDRD4C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I6SH9NANA643G&colid=1OWQQYBSSBZ7V

Well that is what I get for searching the internet late at night after a few bottles of wine. Thanks for the correction. Time to start leaving christmas hints all over the house.

Prendi
11-30-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm all with you guys, but we still can't compare Red withThe Gh2 8-bit 4:2:0 limit... You must be aware of that..

For sure I'm not saying on paper it competes with the image produced by the R1 (still haven't seen a single shot from the Epic-S... I mean Scarlet), however at one point you have to throw the numbers away and just look at the image. The IQ is IQ, and it's simply undeniable with the GH2. And this is coming from someone who really didn't want to shoot his next project on a stills camera, but here I am.

Great times to be an indy film maker :)

Park Edwards
11-30-2011, 07:20 PM
yep, this patch's 720 and 1080i modes do not like the Extreme 30MB cards. unfortunate.

and i have a thought. it would make more sense to get an extreme 8gig pro and use it just for the 720/1080i shots and stick with the extreme standard for everything else. the majority of the footage is going to be 24p, and the extreme standard work fine. 8gigs should get around 8 mins at its maximum bitrate. no need to spend a lot of money, and you get to utilize the patch's full potential.

cam123
11-30-2011, 10:41 PM
What is the best settings for 1080p 24 with support to EX Tele Conv using 32GB Sandisk 30mb/s?
Although it adds a bit of noise, I find using Ex Tele Conv feature all the time. Makes my lens two in one.

strangways
12-01-2011, 08:00 AM
If you want to use the EX Tele mode, and/or the 80% variable speed mode, try Driftwood's Aquarius V2 on a Sandisk 30 Mb/s or 95 Mb/s.

Kholi
12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
If you want to use the EX Tele mode, and/or the 80% variable speed mode, try Driftwood's Aquarius V2 on a Sandisk 30 Mb/s or 95 Mb/s.

Thank you. I will be trying this out today.

L1N3ARX
12-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Sage, do you know if anyone has compiled a list of users who are currently using the hack to shoot a feature? I wonder if anyone is actually... Would be cool to assemble a small list of people who are seriously in pre-production or in production using the GH2X as their primary camera. Then we could harass them for footage and updates : )

fatpig
12-02-2011, 09:08 AM
maybe some of you would like to know, the extrememory 32gb class 10 works flawlessly with driftwoods seaquake. and its a LOT cheaper. :) I posted a write-speed-chart over at personal-view.com if anyones interested. :)

L1N3ARX
12-02-2011, 01:26 PM
maybe some of you would like to know, the extrememory 32gb class 10 works flawlessly with driftwoods seaquake. and its a LOT cheaper. :) I posted a write-speed-chart over at personal-view.com if anyones interested. :)

... don't know about that. It's about $5 cheaper than a Sandisk Extreme III 30/mbps, which is an amazingly solid card. I'd rather still have an actual Extreme III and twice the write speed for a couple extra dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/ExtreMemory-EXMESDHC32GC10-32gb-Class10-Extrememory/dp/B002L1NQVG

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=1C2_____enUS418US455&gs_upl=598l12442l0l12521l26l22l0l1l1l0l251l3834l0. 15.7l23l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1176&bih=974&q=32gb+sd+extreme+III+30mb+s&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11160978716914438635&sa=X&ei=J0LZTrjQCpHciAKU-tm5CQ&ved=0CFkQ8wIwAQ

roei z
12-02-2011, 02:54 PM
so, at the moment the Sandisk 30Mb extreme III is good enough EXCEPT only for spanning? (i don't need that personally)
or is it unreliable with seaquake nonetheless? (which means that with any other new hi-end patches it's already not a good investment?)
putting aside the larger memory advantage..

Sage
12-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Lesser class ten cards will record Seaquake - they will not span past four minutes, you must stop the take. As to the X burst, your times will be cut in half, for the minimums (3-4 seconds).

Sage
12-02-2011, 03:11 PM

Ex Tele works fine with any burst resolution, even under max stress Iso 12800.

Kholi has shed light on a complication for first time installers (on a virgin gh2) that can result in values not being completely flashed by the firmware (this problem applies to any firmware, not just gh2-x).

To fix the situation, I have now included a 'clean slate' firmware in the original post. Now, first time installers should install the clean slate on their virgin gh2 before they install this or any patch.

roei z
12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Lesser class ten cards will record Seaquake - they will not span past four minutes, you must stop the take. As to the X burst, your times will be cut in half, for the minimums (3-4 seconds).

thanks.
sorry, can you please explain more on the AQ3, or the new tests with AQ4 and what does it mean? and this "burst" thing?

Sage
12-02-2011, 03:49 PM
thanks.
sorry, can you please explain more on the AQ3, or the new tests with AQ4 and what does it mean? and this "burst" thing?

Sure.
AQ applies to quantization. Quantization deals with the roughness with which a spectrum of possible values is represented. If the 'steps' of color/luma a pixel/block of pixels can be limited to fewer, less data can be used to represent the same image (albeit without subtle beauty). The AQ affects a table in the encoder which specifies what variation of values can be used to represent given parts of the image (shadows, simple gradients, complex detail etc.). In ptool v3.62, VK implemented an auto adjustment of the table to keep all parts in balance while attributing more bitrate according to the original table's distribution. Before, the encoder would simply refuse to use more bitrate when there was plenty left to make the image more accurate. AQ was perhaps the biggest change VK has yet implemented, and required a lot of careful work on his part. It radically changed the image to be incredibly subtle per pixel, attaining a level of image quality that was never possible with simple hacks - a level of quality typically associated with cinema cameras. GOP also affects quantization, as I believe I frames are allowed superior quantization levels. AQ3 seems to be the point at which the image really transforms. A higher aq commands significantly more bitrate, and so requires a rewrite of patch params to allow it to improve image, rather than degrade it.

roei z
12-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks again.
So, 95 Mbs it'll have to be ;)
and the burst? why it is called that?

Kholi
12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Ex Tele works fine with any burst resolution, even under max stress Iso 12800.

Kholi has shed light on a complication for first time installers (on a virgin gh2) that can result in values not being completely flashed by the firmware (this problem applies to any firmware, not just gh2-x).

To fix the situation, I have now included a 'clean slate' firmware in the original post. Now, first time installers should install the clean slate on their virgin gh2 before they install this or any patch.

This is probably what happened with my first patch. That's a good idea, Sage.

Sage
12-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks again.
So, 95 Mbs it'll have to be ;)
and the burst? why it is called that?

Burst takes advantage of the simple fact that when shooting a movie, continuous takes are needed for dialog at 24 fps, but slow motion shots do not (and unfold longer in a 24fps timeline). The gh2 data 'pipeline' is very limited and finicky for slow motion, and in order for a patch to record continuously with balanced buffers that will not overflow, the bitrate and AQ need to be set low. Too low. This leads to a lack of subtlety/color detail, more banding, and mud in the shadows. Its better than stock at low gop, but it can be much better. By allowing the buffers to reliably overflow, a burst setting lets you record at higher bitrate/AQ for a fair amount of time to allow the shot to unfold. Because the 64gb SDXC can put down track twice as fast as any other card, the buffers can be quickly emptied to allow for a longer flow of frames before overflow (7-9 seconds minimum).

roei z
12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Ok!
Now i get it :)
Thanks.

cam123
12-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks so much Sage for all the valuable info you are sharing us.
Since Sandisk 64GB is so expensive, I can only afford two Sandisk 32GB 30mbps which is about $95 bucks.
What is the best settings for us with just the 32GB 30 mbps? Best 1080 24p with Ex Tele.

Sage
12-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks so much Sage for all the valuable info you are sharing us.
Since Sandisk 64GB is so expensive, I can only afford two Sandisk 32GB 30mbps which is about $95 bucks.
What is the best settings for us with just the 32GB 30 mbps? Best 1080 24p with Ex Tele.

Driftwood's seaquake or quantum will work fine, and allow continuous recording at 720p. 24p will not span past four minutes if you use less than 64gb SDXC. My advice: you have $95, you're half way there. Its best to just wait until you can buy the 64 sdxc, as that last 95 is like investing in an all new, more stable, and higher quality camera. Compared to the cost of the gh2, it is tiny and goes a long way.

Park Edwards
12-03-2011, 06:30 PM
so...wait. how long can you record 720p using the gh2-x patch with an extreme pro?

Park Edwards
12-03-2011, 06:32 PM

can you post a link, because i don't believe this is true. not that you're wrong, but i have the exact cards and the 720p doesn't record for more than 5seconds.

Bfilms
12-04-2011, 03:43 PM
That's right. (PV user Jspatz has confirmed that all the speeds will do their predicted times under max stress and are fully stable)
The quality of Driftwood's Seaquake patch really impressed (uncompressed-like), and with the release of this high spec card that can keep up w/ the Gh2, its now possible to come close to that quality at higher speeds w/ reasonable burst times.

This particular combo of card and patch is the highest quality the camera is currently capable of (the mini scarlet).
The breakdown of resolution with the combo is this:

30fps - 1.9K - 9 seconds

(Keep in mind, these burst times are minimums at max complexity like high iso - at iso 160, you will experience superior compression/burst times)

Call me stupid, but what do you have to do "in-camera" after applying this to actually be able to shoot at each of these

30fps - 1.9K - 9 seconds

wrxer1
12-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Can we see some slow motion footage?
Twixtored footage preferred please

Pop Mechanic
12-07-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm using the GH-X hack posted on this thread in combination with the new 64 GB sandisk. But I can't get 60p shots to record any longer than 2-3 seconds. Anyone else having this problem? Ideas?

keep it moving Jay
12-07-2011, 05:41 PM
...Because the 64gb SDXC can put down track twice as fast as any other card, the buffers can be quickly emptied to allow for a longer flow of frames before overflow (7-9 seconds minimum).

Sage, when you say 7 to 9 seconds is that record time or delay or... please elaborate if you could

Park Edwards
12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Sage, when you say 7 to 9 seconds is that record time or delay or... please elaborate if you could

i'm almost sure he's speaking of record time. this patch really falls short because even with the sandisk extreme 30Mb/s it records 4-5 seconds, which is why it's pointless to drop that much money on such an expensive card, such as the pro. this patch really doesn't make any sense. it's driftwood's 24p settings with an unusable 720p/1080i.

Kholi
12-07-2011, 06:34 PM
i'm almost sure he's speaking of record time. this patch really falls short because even with the sandisk extreme 30Mb/s it records 4-5 seconds, which is why it's pointless to drop that much money on such an expensive card, such as the pro. this patch really doesn't make any sense. it's driftwood's 24p settings with an unusable 720p/1080i.

I dunno, man. Six to seven seconds of slow-mo is a long time. At max quality, it could be worth it for some.

Sage
12-07-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm using the GH-X hack posted on this thread in combination with the new 64 GB sandisk. But I can't get 60p shots to record any longer than 2-3 seconds. Anyone else having this problem? Ideas?

Are you sure it is a 95MB/s Sdxc?
You should have a 7 second 60p record time, minimum, when the codec is under max stress. If it is sdxc, what store did you purchase from? (b&h?)
Most importantly - is 24p spanning?

Sage
12-07-2011, 07:01 PM
even with the sandisk extreme 30Mb/s it records 4-5 seconds

This is the correct time it is supposed to achieve with that card. The patch is meant for the 64gb sdxc - which gives a minimum of 7 seconds under max stress.

*Most purchase the sdxc 64 for spanning & *2x buffer write stability, that is worth the expense alone

Park Edwards
12-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I dunno, man. Six to seven seconds of slow-mo is a long time. At max quality, it could be worth it for some. Maybe more than 60 frames a second. Just don't think it warrants a $100 purchase for 7 sec clip. And still nobody has even put up a clip.

Kholi
12-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Maybe more than 60 frames a second. Just don't think it warrants a $100 purchase for 7 sec clip. And still nobody has even put up a clip.

FOr serious, someone needs to put up some slow mo, though.

I think the Spanning, however, and the overall size of the car would warrant it. I can't get more than 12 minutes out of a 16gb card with the current patch and there's no spanning. I could see buying three 64gb Cards when a price drop happens and being able to rotate those on any shoot without fear.

Also, the cards will carry over to the next SDHC camera as well. I don't think Panasonic will abandon the format? And, it seems other manufacturers are adopting and pushing it forward.

Park Edwards
12-08-2011, 08:01 PM
FOr serious, someone needs to put up some slow mo, though. I think the Spanning, however, and the overall size of the car would warrant it. I can't get more than 12 minutes out of a 16gb card with the current patch and there's no spanning. I could see buying three 64gb Cards when a price drop happens and being able to rotate those on any shoot without fear.Also, the cards will carry over to the next SDHC camera as well. I don't think Panasonic will abandon the format? And, it seems other manufacturers are adopting and pushing it forward. They definitely will keep the format, but they'll be way cheaper in very little time. Seems silly to invest early when they're aren't very useful now. The current cards are very capable of writing very high speeds, so its not the card its the patches that arent written to work yet.

Kholi
12-08-2011, 08:03 PM
They definitely will keep the format, but they'll be way cheaper in very little time. Seems silly to invest early when they're aren't very useful now. The current cards are very capable of writing very high speeds, so its not the card its the patches that arent written to work yet.

For spanning? I don't think the sub 95mb/s work with spanning at the highest data rate.

I guess it's a matter of what one sees as valuable, though.

Park Edwards
12-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Do they span? Cause I'm reading mixed results. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I also read somewhere it wasn't possible to span at all, and some have luck. I dunno, until it's certain it can span across all the kinds of cards, it just seems the patch is too fickle to have to spend an additional $100+ on something that's able to be fully utilized.

Andor
12-09-2011, 08:42 AM
My questions on this hack (or any hack, I guess):

1. Is it ideal to log and transfer into FCP same as before? Or is there an extra step to secure the footage?
2. What is the max resolution video can be consistently recorded in? The IMAX mode is intriguing, but not as a 40 frame burst that dies after a second.

wrxer1
12-09-2011, 01:51 PM
SAGE, can you please supply a video to demonstrate this patch?
We all appreciate the work by you and others, however we need something tangible for better understanding. It's been almost 3 weeks and 11 pages of discussion with no proof. I see a great possibility here, but would guess most are losing interest at this point...

L1N3ARX
12-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Does anybody know how long the Extreme III 64gb 95mbps spans for with SeAQuake? It gives about 55 minutes, but will it continuously record for that entire length?

cowpunk52
12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm transcoding some seaquake slo-mo footage right now. I shot 3 clips. One clip, was on a hanging wind chime that I was shaking around. Background was blurred. I was able to shoot for over a minute in 60p before I just cut the take. The next two clips were on a freeway in the distance with a lot of landscape, all in sharp focus. On both those clips, the card cut my take at 6 seconds. I'll upload when I'm done with the transcode.

*edit: just noticed Sage's note on the first post of the thread. The first clip probably went so long because I was at ISO 160. The next two clips were at ISO 250 - I had stopped my lens down to get a sharper picture because I wanted to see how it handled the detail. This is probably why two other clips stopped after 6 seconds.

cowpunk52
12-10-2011, 12:00 PM
The 95MB/s cards definitely do span with Seaquake, and will span for the duration of the card (about 50-55 minutes). However, one error I do get is that once I have a clip that has spanned, and I cut, if I try to continue shooting on that same card I get an error message that says I've exceeded the maximum allowed clips. Not sure about why I'm getting that, or if that happens every time. Have to do more testing.

LbSand
12-10-2011, 12:42 PM
The 95MB/s cards definitely do span with Seaquake, and will span for the duration of the card (about 50-55 minutes). However, one error I do get is that once I have a clip that has spanned, and I cut, if I try to continue shooting on that same card I get an error message that says I've exceeded the maximum allowed clips. Not sure about why I'm getting that, or if that happens every time. Have to do more testing.

I had the same issue last night. I also had approximately 20 shorter clips on there, so not sure if that affected the result. I'll be playing with that again tonight to see what happens.

L1N3ARX
12-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Very interesting. Going beyond whatever the partition size is (more than once), I'm assuming it has to be bigger than 4gb on this card, it gives you errors. I'll have to check that myself. I guess a good test would be to try and record multiple clips 7min or longer.

Kholi
12-10-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm transcoding some seaquake slo-mo footage right now. I shot 3 clips. One clip, was on a hanging wind chime that I was shaking around. Background was blurred. I was able to shoot for over a minute in 60p before I just cut the take. The next two clips were on a freeway in the distance with a lot of landscape, all in sharp focus. On both those clips, the card cut my take at 6 seconds. I'll upload when I'm done with the transcode.

Please, soon. I wasn't able to use the highest quality 60P patch with the cards I had, and would like to finally see what this looks like.

gonzoish79
12-10-2011, 02:08 PM
I need help...I'm a visual person and I am having a hard time figuring out how to get the setj to work with the firmware inside ptools3. I was able to upload the new firmware into the camera, but that was about it. I have the 64 95mb card....Help out a fellow dvxuser bro

cowpunk52
12-10-2011, 02:12 PM
http://vimeo.com/33459429

Shot with Sage's GH2-X Patch (Driftwood's SeAQuake + AQ3 Vari Burst) on Sandisk 64GB 95MB/s SD Card.

1st clip rolled over a minute before I cut, ISO 160.

Next two clips cut due to write error after 6 seconds, ISO 200.

Lens: Canon FD 35-105mm f3.5
Aperture: f/3.5 and f/5.6 for final two clips
Shutter: 1/125
ND: 0.6

I've got another test coming up with a different custom setting from Sage. It will be shot at a detailed subject at ISO 12,800 with higher shutter speed - and I'll shake the camera. Stay tuned.

As a general note, any banding you see in the Vimeo file (particularly in the upper left corner of frame) is due to Vimeo's encoding and is not present in the source footage.

yoclay
12-10-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm really impressed with what has gone on here. I am a long time 5D guy with more than 35 lenses including 3 iscoramas and vintage Leica M, and really excited about using the the latter for the first time in years.

Just bought 2 GH2's yesterday.

From what I gather the go for Seaquake is Sandisk Extreme 32Gb 30Mb/s for 24p and something like Sandisk's 16GB 95Mb/s for 60p at 720 for GH-X?

Looking for decent cost effective solutions and because I prefer to rotate smaller cards with a data wrangler rather than put all my eggs in one basket.

LbSand
12-11-2011, 04:00 AM
http://vimeo.com/33477287

Testing camera settings to see how long the bursts would last. I have no idea what I'm doing, so view image / comments through that prism.

All 3 shots exceeded the burst limit. There were several shots in between with the exact same settings that did not. Color always caused the shot to end at at 10s or so. The distance between the motion did not obviously affect the burst. There were several recording attempts from the same locations with similar motion that did not exceed.

Shot with Sage's GH2-X Patch (Driftwood's SeAQuake + AQ3 Vari Burst) on Sandisk 64GB 95MB/s SD Card

Lens: Canon FD 50mm f1.4
Shutter: 1/125
720p 60fps. Interpreted to 24fps in premiere
I believe ISO was at 1600 for all three in this clip.

Manu Delpech
12-11-2011, 04:26 AM
Ok, question.

Will a 32 gb 95 mo work with the patch?! (Sandisk Extreme Pro) or do I have to get the 64 gb (I hope not, it's really expensive). I mean, it's just that it won't span as long, but I usually don't do takes that are longer than a minute.

J Davis
12-11-2011, 05:27 AM

*edit: just noticed Sage's note on the first post of the thread. The first clip probably went so long because I was at ISO 160. The next two clips were at ISO 250 - I had stopped my lens down to get a sharper picture because I wanted to see how it handled the detail. This is probably why two other clips stopped after 6 seconds.

hey man, can you post the file sizes of your .MTS vs the number of time length? I know it varies on subject matter but the ballpark info is useful too.

gonzoish79
12-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Got it thanks

Cosimo Bullo
12-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Seaquake is great, and the mods to it... but we tried Driftwood's Quantum v3 last night and it does seem to be, yet again, better, with a tighter grain in the noise and out of focus areas.

Kholi
12-11-2011, 09:52 AM
How stable is Quantum?

Ready to try it!

cowpunk52
12-11-2011, 09:58 AM
How stable is Quantum?

Ready to try it!

I shot some sample stuff with it last night, seemed just as stable as any other hack - especially on the 95MB/s Sandisk 64GB cards. Also had a modified GH2-X hack from Sage that had a Quantum version on it, and was able to get consistent 10-14 second 720p60 bursts.

Kholi
12-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Any samples? Did you see a difference between Q3 and your prior patch>?

Park Edwards
12-11-2011, 11:41 AM

I just tried it. It records fine using the extreme III standard on the death chart. dunno if it will span, only recorded a minute on all 3 record modes. I'll test spanning later, but I'm sure if it's anything like the previous patches, it should look equally as good, if not better.

also, if i record at its highest bitrate, which is around 155Mb/s, 1 minute is 1.4gigs, so that should get you around 3mins of footage before it stops recording. just a theory.

cowpunk52
12-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Haven't pixel peeped it yet, or shot a side by side. Should be able to do that within the week.

J Davis
12-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Judging by car3o's calculated bitrate of 155Mb/s, 1 minute is 1.4gigs then I'm wondering why the need for a 64 gig pro card instead of the 32 gig pro card when were are talking about only 14 seconds or so burst

edit: @ cowpunk - that was why I was asking about file sizes earlier

cowpunk52
12-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Judging by car3o's calculated bitrate of 155Mb/s, 1 minute is 1.4gigs then I'm wondering why the need for a 64 gig pro card instead of the 32 gig pro card when were are talking about only 14 seconds or so burst

edit: @ cowpunk - that was why I was asking about file sizes earlier

The 64GB card is the only one that can span 1080p24 with the highest bit-rate hacks. That's the only reason I got mine. I'm DP'ing a feature on a hacked GH2 in January, and I want to be able to reliably use the highest GOP-1 bit-rate hack that I can. Unless I can span, I'll be limited to a roughly 3 minute take at most. For most situations, that's totally acceptable, but during the feature shoot I'm bound to come across a scene where I need to roll for longer than that (this happened on two occasions during a short film shoot I did on a hacked GH2 back in September). I want to be able to roll for as longas needed and not have to explain to my director why we have to split the shot into two or more takes because of card limitations.

If spanning is weren't an issue for me, I'm having no problem recording SeaQuake on Sandisk 16GB Class 10 30MB/s cards, as well as older Sandisk 8GB Extreme III Class 6 cards.

It's also nice to get roughly an hour of footage on one card so I don't have to dump footage as often, but that's a tertiary benefit.

edit: Just noticed today that the price of the 64GB Sandisk 90MB/s cards have dropped to $189 on B&H. I should have waited a couple of weeks, would have saved 20 bucks!

roei z
12-11-2011, 01:54 PM
would it be possible for someone to upload a 720/60p quantom sample as a 24p slo-mo?

Park Edwards
12-11-2011, 02:03 PM
would it be possible for someone to upload a 720/60p quantom sample as a 24p slo-mo? Yeah. I can probably tomorrow. It's dark here now. But to chime in on the previous post, thats 3 mins at maxed bitrate. It can easily do 4-6mins in normal situations before the recording stops. Also, it seems if it spans, it doesn't playback in camera and that is a must.

cowpunk52
12-11-2011, 02:07 PM
would it be possible for someone to upload a 720/60p quantom sample as a 24p slo-mo?

I've got one uploading now

cowpunk52
12-11-2011, 02:09 PM
It can easily do 4-6mins in normal situations before the recording stops. Also, it seems if it spans, it doesn't playback in camera and that is a must.

I think your probably right. And correct, if it spans, it won't play back in camera. For me, though, just having the capability of getting the long take if I need to is worth the premium. But it is definitely a premium, and may not be worth it to others.

J Davis
12-11-2011, 02:43 PM
The 64GB card is the only one that can span 1080p24 with the highest bit-rate hacks. That's the only reason I got mine. I'm DP'ing a feature on a hacked GH2 in January, and I want to be able to reliably use the highest GOP-1 bit-rate hack that I can. Unless I can span, I'll be limited to a roughly 3 minute take at most. For most situations, that's totally acceptable, but during the feature shoot I'm bound to come across a scene where I need to roll for longer than that (this happened on two occasions during a short film shoot I did on a hacked GH2 back in September). I want to be able to roll for as longas needed and not have to explain to my director why we have to split the shot into two or more takes because of card limitations.

If spanning is weren't an issue for me, I'm having no problem recording SeaQuake on Sandisk 16GB Class 10 30MB/s cards, as well as older Sandisk 8GB Extreme III Class 6 cards.

It's also nice to get roughly an hour of footage on one card so I don't have to dump footage as often, but that's a tertiary benefit.

edit: Just noticed today that the price of the 64GB Sandisk 90MB/s cards have dropped to $189 on B&H. I should have waited a couple of weeks, would have saved 20 bucks!

I'm confused now because the title of the thread says 'Slow Motion Burst Patch for 95MB/s SDXC'
I read that to mean the 95MB/s was required for the slow motion burst. Is that not the case?

roei z
12-11-2011, 03:17 PM
thank you guys for uploading (please provide a full res file if possible)

JMZ
12-11-2011, 06:00 PM
I think we should all remember that when it comes to recording media even the most expensive SD card is a bargain. Just be happy the camera doesn't shoot CF cards as Pro versions of those are easily double the SD card prices. I got my 64 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro for $189.00. That's nothing considering some of us paid for $1500 to $1600 bucks for 16 GB P2 cards not that long ago. And even at that price Panasonic couldn't make them fast enough. But personally I look at the 64GB card as an investment. I can use the highest bitrate hacks and use most of the card's capacity or shoot stock and keep rolling for a huge amount of time.

By all means use the card that works for you and your budget. And remember if you shoot on the stock firmware you don't have to use anything fancy. As for hacks that's up to you as well. But I think some perspective is key. Not only are these guys creating these hacks and releasing them for free (although we should donate...) but if you're in a pinch on the way to a shoot, you can grab an extra card at a nearby Walgreens. I couldn't do that back when I was shooting Beta SP, Beta SX or DVC Pro HD tape.

Ian-T
12-11-2011, 07:00 PM
By all means use the card that works for you and your budget. And remember if you shoot on the stock firmware you don't have to use anything fancy. As for hacks that's up to you as well. But I think some perspective is key. Not only are these guys creating these hacks and releasing them for free (although we should donate...) but if you're in a pinch on the way to a shoot, you can grab an extra card at a nearby Walgreens. I couldn't do that back when I was shooting Beta SP, Beta SX or DVC Pro HD tape.
Now that kinda puts things into perspective.

J Davis
12-11-2011, 07:18 PM
If I can save money on $200 cards then thats and extra $200 I can put towards paying crew ... besides, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Well now that I've received the righteous speech - there's been no real answer.
Is there an extra something with the 64 that makes it better than the 32 other than space?
Or is it a case of 'we tested with the 64 because that was the only card available at the time' ?
Or no one has tested with the 32 yet? Any of those would be a real answer.

Park Edwards
12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
If I can save money on $200 cards then thats and extra $200 I can put towards paying crew ... besides, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Well now that I've received the righteous speech, there's been no real answer.
Is there an extra something with the 64 that makes it better than the 32 other than space?
Or is it a case of 'we tested with the 64 because that was the only card available at the time' ?
Or no one has tested with the 32 yet.
Any of those would be a real answer.

you talking pro or standard? from what i've read 64 pro spans, all the rest, even the 32 pro does not. there also seems to be a little extra write speed or buffer speed, that allows the 64 pro to use higher bitrates for 720p/1080i.

J Davis
12-11-2011, 07:40 PM
There you go - now thats a real answer.
Thanks car3o

I really didn't need the lecture on how I should be grateful I'm not shooting on Beta SP

cowpunk52
12-11-2011, 08:55 PM

I just tested GH2-X 720p60 on a Sandisk 30MB/s 16GB class 10 card. I was able to get between 5 and 7 seconds on a take with legacy glass. Native m4/3 glass gave me about 2-3 seconds burst. With the 95MB/s 64GB card I get 10-14 seconds with legacy glass and 7-8 seconds with m4/3 glass.

If you don't need to span with 1080p24, I wouldn't worry about spending the extra coin on the 64GB card. I don't have one, but other's have tested the 32GB version and confirmed that it does not span 1080p24.

J Davis
12-11-2011, 09:08 PM
thanks cowpunk52 ... exactly what I need to make decisions ... hope I can repay the favor one day

yoclay
12-12-2011, 08:05 AM

@cowpunk52
Aside from Slo Mo, would there be any other reason to get a Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro (95Mb/s) vs a standard Sandisk 32GB Extreme card (30Mb/s) for these high bit rate hacks then? Pointless to slap down the extra cash for the 32Gb 95Mb/s card for video?

cowpunk52
12-12-2011, 08:36 AM
I would say probably not. I can record SeaQuake 1080p24 just fine on this card:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/677598-REG/SanDisk_SDSDRX3_016G_A21_16GB_Extreme_SDHC_Memory. html

I haven't tried the 32GB version, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work just as well. At this time, I would say that if you're not going to get the 64GB version of the 95MB/s card, then don't worry about the getting that class of card. The 30MB/s card works with all the hacks I've used just as well - you're giving up spanning and slow-motion burst performance, but that's about it.

The one variable that I haven't tested or accounted for is whether you're using legacy or m4/3 glass. I have noticed that the m4/3 glass chokes my slow motion burst much faster than legacy glass - and I attribute that to the in-camera correction processing that m4/3 cameras do with those lenses. But that's just a guess. I don't know what affect m4/3 glass with SeaQuake or Quantum 1080p24 may have on various SD cards.

As always, this is my experience and opinion. I have not done extensive real-world testing, just shooting around and getting a feel of what the cards are capable. You're mileage my vary. But at the prices that all these cards are offered for, you really can't go wrong with any of them (even the $190 64GB cards). They're an investment that will likely far outlast your camera and the price points are a song compared to proprietary recording media (*cough*cough* P2, RedMags, SxS *cough*cough*).

roei z
12-12-2011, 08:42 AM
You've posted this in several threads already.

yup, Tyrell.
it's just my opinion, but best thing is posting a video once at the right place.. and be patient ;)
it will just make viewers disregard what you put your hard work on.

yoclay
12-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks a million cowpunk52!
I am using a ton of legacy glass including leica M and iscorama's, but occasionally would like to pop a 4/3's lens on for the AF when using my steadicam pilot. I will probably pick up 1 card for that and a bunch of the lower spec ones for more normal usage.

JMZ
12-12-2011, 01:23 PM
And

Righteous speech? Wow.

I thought I was doing exactly what I said; offering a bit of perspective. I didn't think anyone would take it personally. You seem pretty stirred up about it. My apologies. But I am glad you got your real answer. And I hope you enjoy your gear.

Kholi
12-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the testing, Cowpunk. Keeping an eye out for more.