PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Anybody notice stutter in my vid? How to fix it?

L1N3ARX
11-16-2011, 09:35 PM
I feel like my 24p footage is giving off a slight strobe effect, indoors. I'm trying for a film look but this strobing is a bit distracting. Anybody else have the same? How should I shoot to get smoother footage in 24p?

http://vimeo.com/32177879

Gargravarr
11-17-2011, 05:32 AM
What's the shutter speed you used? 1/50 doesn't give me any strobing/flickering... I only get that with high shutter speeds depending on the frequency of the light source.

Phenixone
11-17-2011, 07:34 AM
If your light sources are Neons lights there is a big chance you will get flicker.
As for the fire flicker it makes total sense, you are on high ISO, so your camera reacts to every bit of light that gets in, hence the flicker. If you don't want such flicker, I advise you to lit your characters in the direction of the fire to recreate a more stable light on their faces, but that's real movie filming then, not gorilla style anymore.

Jockomo
11-17-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm curious, did you use a protective clear filter on your lens?
I get reflections like the kind seen in your fire shot if I use it on the 20mm, so I usually remove it for something like that.

L1N3ARX
11-17-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm curious, did you use a protective clear filter on your lens?
I get reflections like the kind seen in your fire shot if I use it on the 20mm, so I usually remove it for something like that.

That's a good point, just realized I had my UV filter still on, which is pointless for something like that.

L1N3ARX
11-17-2011, 07:47 PM
What's the shutter speed you used? 1/50 doesn't give me any strobing/flickering... I only get that with high shutter speeds depending on the frequency of the light source.

I use 1/50 as well, but perhaps 3200 iso with little to no light causes it. Outside wasn't really noticeable, just indoors with a dim kitchen light overhead.

L1N3ARX
11-17-2011, 07:51 PM
My main concern wasn't necessarily a "flicker" per se, but rather a slight "stop motion effect" if you will, where instead of 24 frames it looks more like 19-20, giving off just a hint of unevenness. At the time I was using a regular class 10 card with the 176mbps driftwood patch. This could be the problem right there... but I just upgraded now to an Extreme III 30mbps, so I'll see if it still occurs.