PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Why is manual WB not as good as outdoor WB on my GH2

flinty
11-07-2011, 03:14 AM
Yes with my GH2 outdoor is best followed by AWB ,try as i might outdoors using a white card it is not as good colors am i doing something wrong,i am fairly happy with my results using the outdoor setting but most say manual is the way to go http://vimeo.com/31645128 here is some tests with outdoor setting,i have to be careful with color vibrancy as for me it varies according to the f stop setting,ie to much stopped down can have more vibrancy than with the lens opened up more.

MR Fanny
11-07-2011, 04:33 AM
i have noticed too that i cant match AWB manually where AWB looks better.

maranfilms
11-07-2011, 05:30 AM
awb has been really good for some time. Canon still has the best I have ever used. There's nothing wrong with using AWB as long as your not changing lighting temps in the middle of a take. Are you using the manual where you can set up 1-4, where it gives the feature of the little box that when you hit the button it changes the white balance? or are you talking kelvin temps. Because on the earlier, you can still adjust the color by moving the bracket to your liking even after you change it.

Yes your correct, when a lens is stopped down it can change the color. I like to stop way down when doing sunset shots. But the odd thing I noticed on many camcorders that have a fixed lens, it's the opposite. It seems when stopping down many times the color gets washed out. not sure why.

Inprogress
11-07-2011, 05:32 AM
I think, this is me personally who played with Manual WB, I can adjust it to the specific look I want in the picture/scene. Possibly some who swear by manual WB might have forgotten that AWB doesn't give then the same look they personally prefer over AWB. I found this recently, with manual WB I give it a nice warm look, closer to what I am seeing, and given what I am seeing has emotion as well and hence I want to convey that emotion so I might be seeing the AWB is too cold when my eyes are "seeing" it as warmer.

You see the same in the biker community. Someone will upgrade their standard factory fitter exhaust with an aftermarket exhaust and swear that the biker feels faster and accelerates faster. This might be true in minute measurement, however for an aftermarket exhaust to provide you with the performance upgrade you want, you need to change the intake side of things as well.

My long winded opinion.

Just a thought.

flinty
11-07-2011, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the replys,in my case filming outdoors in good light the outdoor setting is better than awb but i dont understand why my GH wont set manualy to a white card.also i would like some opinion on the color in the test film please.

maranfilms
11-07-2011, 06:45 AM
I think the white balance in your clip looks good. It's warm, not to bluey looking. Colors look true to what they should be. Keep in mind you can always tweak in post a bit to.

flinty
11-07-2011, 08:40 AM
I think the white balance in your clip looks good. It's warm, not to bluey looking. Colors look true to what they should be. Keep in mind you can always tweak in post a bit to.

Nice to know it was all on outdoor setting,awb gives a slightly more blue look that you mention and manual wb i can only achieve a muddy look.Indoors though AWB is fine.

eggmedia
11-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Manual WB can be tricky to set with any camera as there are so many variables.

Is the card you are using true white?
What colour is the light hitting the card?
What lens are you using?
Are you using filters on the lens?
What f stop is the lens set at?
Can you fill the frame with the white card?

I generally use the outdoor/indoor/shade presets and then make any minor tweaks in post. However if I'm in a controlled lighting situation such as a studio or lit indoor scene then I'll do a manual WB. Dialling in a manual value for K also works but you'll need to do a bit of research/testing to understand what values to use in which situations.

Phenixone
11-07-2011, 07:29 PM
use 5600K for daylight and outdoor and 3200K for tungsten and indoor. for outdoors, overcast gets bluer (higher value) and sunny is more orange (lower value).

flinty
11-08-2011, 02:08 AM
Thanks again i have tested manual with various lenses/filters and levels of light and the card is true white as far as i can tell but i cant get color as good as the outdoor setting,with the possible exeption of some greens i am fairly happy with this setting so i guess its the way i have to go for outdoor filming,in artificial light AWB is fine.