PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Situation.... 10k to spend. What should I get?

mullinsben
10-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Hi Everyone,
Longtime lurker here! The FS100 has me more excited about a video camera than I've ever been and I want to get back into doing video production work in my free time. So i'm looking for advice on a potential purchase in the next few months. A bit about me: I have a background in broadcast production so I'm not a complete n00b and I currently work in digital production. I'm looking to shoot/produce just about anything such as spec commercials, run & gun, short content pieces, concerts, mini-docs, news packages, short films etc. I have FCP, Logic & CS5 already with a bunch of audio gear (I'm a musician too). I'm less interested in making $$$ doing this than I am in just making great art and telling stories.

So let's say I have $10,000 to spend. What should I get that will suit my needs for the next few years? Thinking I would want a nice rig with some good lenses, follow focus, tripod, shoulder mount, ND filters, cases etc. So - what should I get in your opinion? Your input will be greatly appreciated.
-ben

speedracerlo
10-23-2011, 10:33 AM
I would wait a bit until Canon announces their new Super35 videocamera that's going to be announced on Nov 4. Price range is supposedly in the 10k range and I've read rumors that it may even be a 4K camera.

mullinsben
10-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Yup! I'm following that development as well. I'm not planning on getting an FS100 or similar for at least a few months. Also- if the Canon is 10k for just the body and lens then it's already out of my price range as I want a decent kit and accessories to go along with it.

robmneilson
10-23-2011, 12:12 PM
I just got off a doc style job, and need to find a good all around zoom lens for my FS100. I went between an 18mm prime, and an old crappy Nikon 28-70 3.5/4.5zoom. What's a decently priced, constant, manual zoom lens with a fairly wide end that I can pickup? My first instinct is to get a 2.8 28-70, but perhaps someone has a better idea?

David W. Jones
10-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Cooke 18-100mm.

robmneilson
10-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Ah the Cooke is out of my price range for what I would want to spend for the jobs I would be using a zoom on.

mullinsben
10-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Cooke 18-100mm.

That Lens is my entire budget.