PDA

View Full Version : Camera, adapter, lens combo

steditrak
10-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Has anybody tried the following combination?

Sony NEX-FS100UK Super 35mm Sensor Camcorder (with Lens):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761580-REG/Sony_NEX_FS100UK_NEX_FS100U_Super_35mm_Sensor.html

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX Autofocus Lens For Sony Alpha DSLRs:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687279-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXS_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html

Sony A-Mount Lens to NEX Camera Mount Adapter LA-EA2:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/819768-REG/Sony_LA_EA2_A_Mount_Lens_to_NEX.html

If you have, please tell us what you found out.

Thanks for all the help.

eheath
10-20-2011, 07:58 PM
I have the nikon tokina 11-16 2.8 with a fotodoix adapter...

Stephen Mick
10-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Has anybody tried the following combination?

Sony NEX-FS100UK Super 35mm Sensor Camcorder (with Lens):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761580-REG/Sony_NEX_FS100UK_NEX_FS100U_Super_35mm_Sensor.html

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX Autofocus Lens For Sony Alpha DSLRs:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687279-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXS_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html

Sony A-Mount Lens to NEX Camera Mount Adapter LA-EA2:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/819768-REG/Sony_LA_EA2_A_Mount_Lens_to_NEX.html

If you have, please tell us what you found out.

Thanks for all the help.

This week I got the LA-EA2 adapter. I connected my Sony 24-70 to it, and to the FS-100. I got a "Lens Not Recognized" message. Lens-y no work-y.

I'm not sure if there's a firmware update for the lens that would allow it to function, but so far, no dice.

moldcad
10-21-2011, 01:52 AM
One thing strikes me when reading the description on the new A-Mount:

"Aperture setting for video capture is fixed at the maximum aperture of the lens or f/3.5, whichever is lower (AF-C). "

If the aperture is fixed (???), how can it support AE? Or am I getting it wrong?

steditrak
10-21-2011, 02:52 AM
The tokina has a maximum aperture of F/2.8

This would be particularly nice in low light situations.

I hope the A-Mount adapter allows for this.

I guess the only way we'll know for sure is to find somebody with an FS100 camera, the Tokina 11-16mm lens, and the LA-EA2 adapter.

Maybe the folks at B&H could test out this combination.

It's not like they don't have the gear to play with.

One thing strikes me when reading the description on the new A-Mount:

"Aperture setting for video capture is fixed at the maximum aperture of the lens or f/3.5, whichever is lower (AF-C). "

If the aperture is fixed (???), how can it support AE? Or am I getting it wrong?

moldcad
10-21-2011, 03:42 AM
I agree Steditrak - but my question about the adapter is more general (I guess this limitation applies to any Alpha lens, not just the Tokina you're interested in). Never heard of this before - could it be possible that you actually have no control over and A-lens aperture (not to mention AE)?!!

alaskacameradude
10-21-2011, 08:53 AM
I agree Steditrak - but my question about the adapter is more general (I guess this limitation applies to any Alpha lens, not just the Tokina you're interested in). Never heard of this before - could it be possible that you actually have no control over and A-lens aperture (not to mention AE)?!!

Yeah, that would be strange.....especially because the LA-EA1 DID allow control of the aperture on all A-lenses. You'd think the 2nd generation of the
adapter would be better, not remove features.

eheath
10-21-2011, 12:42 PM
The tokina has a maximum aperture of F/2.8

This would be particularly nice in low light situations.

I hope the A-Mount adapter allows for this.

I guess the only way we'll know for sure is to find somebody with an FS100 camera, the Tokina 11-16mm lens, and the LA-EA2 adapter.

Maybe the folks at B&H could test out this combination.

It's not like they don't have the gear to play with.

what are you trying to test? im really confused

steditrak
10-21-2011, 06:05 PM
what are you trying to test? im really confused

I've read that the Sony LA-EA1 Alpha adapter allows the user to control the lens aperture using the iris ring on the camera. It also allows access to all the iris stops, and you see the iris setting on the display. However, it's far from smooth -- in one direction in particular, it makes a huge "clickclick" for each step.

My hope is that the Sony LA-EA2 Alpha adapter does away with that huge "clickclick" for each step.

eheath
10-21-2011, 09:06 PM
I've read that the Sony LA-EA1 Alpha adapter allows the user to control the lens aperture using the iris ring on the camera. It also allows access to all the iris stops, and you see the iris setting on the display. However, it's far from smooth -- in one direction in particular, it makes a huge "clickclick" for each step.

My hope is that the Sony LA-EA2 Alpha adapter does away with that huge "clickclick" for each step.

you have pretty decent control with the nikon adapter... i used my histogram to measure out stops (with a manual lens) and then marked each stop on a piece of tape, then i put the 11-16 on and put a piece of tape on the adapter and went stop by stop and marked it. Each stop is like a mm apart but it works. Plus, with a 11-16 you really just need aprox. aperture since its so wide.

steditrak
10-22-2011, 09:31 AM
you have pretty decent control with the nikon adapter... i used my histogram to measure out stops (with a manual lens) and then marked each stop on a piece of tape, then i put the 11-16 on and put a piece of tape on the adapter and went stop by stop and marked it. Each stop is like a mm apart but it works. Plus, with a 11-16 you really just need aprox. aperture since its so wide.

You're answering a question I never asked. I didn't ask how you did it. I asked if anybody ever tried the following combination:

FS100 camera

Tokina 11-16mm for Sony Alpha

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._AT_X_116.html

Sony LA-EA2 A-Mount Adapter

You mentioned before that the Fotodiox adapter has a small amount of play, but really doesn't effect how you use the camera and lenses.

Are you're referring to this adapter?:

http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=651

I don't want any play at all. NONE. If I have to pay more for an adapter that doesn't move around, it's money well spent. I plan on using it with my Steadicam, so zero amount of play would suit me just fine.

I also noticed that the LA-EA2 adapter has an electronic interface:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=LAEA2

So does the Tokina 11-16mm for Sony Alpha:

file:///media/RAID10_ntfs/Tokina%2011-16mm/Tokina%2011-16mm.jpg

Since the LA-EA1 adapter DID allow some control of the aperture on all A-lenses, I'm hoping the 2nd generation of the adapter will be better.

So how does the Tokina 11-16mm lens with a Sony LA-EA2 adapter work on the FS100 camera?

That's what I want to find out.

Your way of doing things might work for you. And I might just go that way.

But not until I've had a look at all the options.

alaskacameradude
10-22-2011, 10:30 AM
You're answering a question I never asked. I didn't ask how you did it. I asked if anybody ever tried the following combination:

FS100 camera

Tokina 11-16mm for Sony Alpha

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._AT_X_116.html

Sony LA-EA2 A-Mount Adapter

You mentioned before that the Fotodiox adapter has a small amount of play, but really doesn't effect how you use the camera and lenses.

Are you're referring to this adapter?:

http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=651

I don't want any play at all. NONE. If I have to pay more for an adapter that doesn't move around, it's money well spent. I plan on using it with my Steadicam, so zero amount of play would suit me just fine.

I also noticed that the LA-EA2 adapter has an electronic interface:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=LAEA2

So does the Tokina 11-16mm for Sony Alpha:

file:///media/RAID10_ntfs/Tokina 11-16mm/Tokina 11-16mm.jpg

Since the LA-EA1 adapter DID allow some control of the aperture on all A-lenses, I'm hoping the 2nd generation of the adapter will be better.

So how does the Tokina 11-16mm lens with a Sony LA-EA2 adapter work on the FS100 camera?

That's what I want to find out.

Your way of doing things might work for you. And I might just go that way.

But not until I've had a look at all the options.

Instead of asking about one specific lens (the 11-16) it might just be better to ask:

'Has anyone used the new LA-EA2 adapter? If so, how did it handle aperture changes?'

I would guess, that all A-mount lenses SHOULD behave the same way with this adapter....so
if it works with some A-mount lenses, it SHOULD work with the others.....that is just a guess
though. But if anyone has ANY experience with the new LA-EA2 adapter, I'd like to hear about it.

steditrak
10-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Instead of asking about one specific lens (the 11-16) it might just be better to ask:

'Has anyone used the new LA-EA2 adapter? If so, how did it handle aperture changes?'

I would guess, that all A-mount lenses SHOULD behave the same way with this adapter....so
if it works with some A-mount lenses, it SHOULD work with the others.....that is just a guess
though. But if anyone has ANY experience with the new LA-EA2 adapter, I'd like to hear about it.

I need the Tokina 11-16mm because it provides an extremely wide angle with minimal barrel distortion. Perfect for Steadicam work.

alaskacameradude
10-22-2011, 07:47 PM
I need the Tokina 11-16mm because it provides an extremely wide angle with minimal barrel distortion. Perfect for Steadicam work.

Yeah, sorry, I understand you want to know about the Tokina 11-16 A mount lens. What I was trying to say, was that it appears the number of people
that have used the new LA-EA2 adapter is very small.....I haven't heard much about it yet. Many sites still have it scheduled for shipping around
Nov. 14th. I was just saying, your chances may be higher of getting someone who has used the adapter with any lens, rather than specifying a certain
lens. If it works with say a 17-50 Tamron A mount, my GUESS would be that it would work with the Tokina 11-16 A mount the same way. Of course, that
is just a guess, so if someone out there has used it with the specific lens you are asking for, that would be great! I'd be interested in hearing
ANY experiences with this new adapter with any A mount lens. Did the adapter allow aperture changes? (it appears a little uncertain from the wording
in the promotion/marketing materials about it) If so, was it any different from the LA-EA1 adapter in how the aperture worked?

Stephen Mick
10-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Like I said above…I couldn't get it to even recognize my Sony Zeiss 24-70mm lens when connected to the FS-100. I haven't seen any notes about firmware updates for either the lens or the adapter, but I'd guess at least one of them needs an update to work properly. If the Sony A-Mount lens doesn't work, chances are probably not good that the Tokina would work.

I'm going to take the LA-EA2 and FS-100 to my local cam shop (Precision Camera) to test out a few other lenses, as well as the LA-EA1.

steditrak
10-23-2011, 06:59 AM
OK F@#k it. I'll call B&H and see if they're willing to test the FS100 camera, Tokina 11-16mm lens, and LA-EA2 Adapter combination. It's the least they can do if they want to make a sale.

alaskacameradude
10-23-2011, 08:50 PM
OK F@#k it. I'll call B&H and see if they're willing to test the FS100 camera, Tokina 11-16mm lens, and LA-EA2 Adapter combination. It's the least they can do if they want to make a sale.

Let us know what they say!!

steditrak
10-23-2011, 09:12 PM
I got a B&H sales rep on the phone and explained to him that there's at least 3 continents worth of people waiting for an answer to this question. If he can spare some time on his lunch break, please go downstairs, grab the floor models off the shelf, and try it out. Not a bad idea, if he has any intention of making money.

He gave me his full name and four digit extension.

We might be on to something here.

I'll keep you posted.

robmneilson
10-23-2011, 10:58 PM
I used to work in the web video dept of B&H, and sadly due to the bureaucracy of that place this may not happen. It would be super simple, you would think....but you run into one manager that doesn't like you and they will go out of their way to do you no favors. Easily one of the most frustrating jobs I ever had.

ShawnLam
10-24-2011, 10:25 AM
From my understanding the LA-EA2 requires a firmware update in order for it to work on the FS100. When I spoke with my Sony of Canada rep in September, he told me that the only camera that the LA-EA2 sample he had works with is the NEX5N as there was pre-release firmware and for it to work on any other bodies, new firmware would have to be released.

He also commented on the iris control:
Marketing is aware of the iris control issue when using the LA-EA1. They have noted that the LA-EA2 does not suffer this problem; smooth stepping is possible while using the adapter

I just read to same maximum exposure statement on the B&H website and frankly, it has me confused.
Aperture setting for video capture is fixed at the maximum aperture of the lens or f/3.5, whichever is lower (AF-C).

What does that even mean? If a lens is f/2.8 then f/2.8 is lower than f/3.5 so that means the lens would be fixed at f/2.8.
But if the lens is f/4.0 then f/3.5 is lower so it means the lens would be fixed at f/3.5, which isn't possible for the lens, so it would be f/4.0.
So why even have an "if/then" statement? Shouldn't they just have said that the lens would be fixed at its maximum exposure

Or may it was mis-written and is supposed to mean that the adapter has a maximum exposure of f/3.5 and even if the lens is faster, the aperture limits the lens to f/3.5. If that is the case then that sucks for most lenses that you want to use on the FS100.

BennyM
12-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Hey guys,
I just received my Tokina 11-16mm and LA-EA2 adapter. I connected them to my FS100 and I'm sorry to report that I have no aperture control and AF doesn't work either. I'm having trouble understanding why I just spent ~$300 on an electronic adapter when a $50 adapter does the same thing with less bulk. Perhaps I got a dud, or maybe I need to figure out a way to update the firmware....though I don't see any physical way of connecting it to a computer. I'm pretty bummed, but at least I can help answer the OP's question. The Tokina's image looks amazing, BTW.

UPDATE: Apparently there will be a firmware update for the FS100 in the early part of 2012 which will allow control of the LA-EA2 adapter as well as other refinements to the camera's operation. See here: http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-nxcamsite/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-micro-nxcam-downloads-nxcamfirmwareupgrades.shtml#NEX-FS100U

jetswing
12-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Hey guys,
I just received my Tokina 11-16mm and LA-EA2 adapter. I connected them to my FS100 and I'm sorry to report that I have no aperture control and AF doesn't work either. I'm having trouble understanding why I just spent ~$300 on an electronic adapter when a $50 adapter does the same thing with less bulk. Perhaps I got a dud, or maybe I need to figure out a way to update the firmware....though I don't see any physical way of connecting it to a computer. I'm pretty bummed, but at least I can help answer the OP's question. The Tokina's image looks amazing, BTW.

Since LA-EA2 is a new adapter with new functionality. FS100 will require a firmware update in order for it to be fully compatible with the adapter. The new firmware is scheduled to be released early next year. Should have read the fine print though... :)