PDA

View Full Version : XLR plug release problems???



AtticusLake
10-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Anyone having issues with XLR plugs in this camera?

I've just got a right-angled plug cable, and it looks great -- tucks in neatly along the side of the camera. Problem is it won't come out again! It looks like the release lever won't push in far enough against the side of the plug to release. I notice that the stock mic plug has a notch cut into it for the lever to sink into, and I can't see a similar notch on any other plugs.

So I'm guessing people aren't just all using the stock mic... I'm wondering if it's just my plug? Or just my camera?

BTW I eventually managed to lever the plug out with a pair of pliers...:shocked:

thxdave
10-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Just curious....what brand of XLR are you using?

AtticusLake
10-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Just curious....what brand of XLR are you using?

I got this (one, not the 6-pack):

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/Right-Angle-Male-XLR-to-Female-XLR-p/sara1.htm

(http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/Right-Angle-Male-XLR-to-Female-XLR-p/sara1.htm)

thxdave
10-15-2011, 03:18 PM
You might try another brand. The "painted" plugs will sometimes be just a fraction too thick to fit some types of gear. I've standardized on Neutrik XLR's on all my mic cables. From the photo, they aren't using Neutrik. If you didn't mind it looking a little rough, you might try sanding off the paint from the end of the plug.

mico
10-15-2011, 04:16 PM
I use the same right angle to right angle cables from SA. They click in properly (i can hear it), and disengages properly when I push the release lever towards the connector.

Pushing the release lever away from the connector does not release it.

AtticusLake
10-15-2011, 09:00 PM
I use the same right angle to right angle cables from SA. They click in properly (i can hear it), and disengages properly when I push the release lever towards the connector.

Thanks; yes, I was pushing it (same as with the stock mic), it just didn't work.

Bending the end of the lever out a little (away from the connector) fixed it, by forcing the catch to start closer to the release position. Now it latches and releases.... yay!