PDA

View Full Version : Sony FS 100 BMW IMAGEFILM & CINE-SPOT / RED-ZOOM - FD - SAMYANG - TOKINA

mediaplexx
10-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Hi everyone -

originally planned to shoot this project with the AF100 - just 10 days before the project started I changed my mind - sold my whole AF100 set-up and bought the SONY FS100 - which was recieved about 3 days before it was said: "ACTION"!

Sorry - but language is actually german - so please donīt get confused by that.

Password: reisacher

The spot for local cinema:

http://vimeo.com/30517281

http://vimeo.com/30517281 for fullscreen

The imagefilm:

http://vimeo.com/30501557

http://vimeo.com/30501557 for fullscreen

Following lenses were used:

- ZEISS 24-70mm 1:2.8
- RED 18-50mm T3
- SAMYANG 35mm 1.4
- CANON FD 55mm 1:1.2
- TOKINA FD 80 - 200mm 1:2.8
- TOKINA A 11-16 mm 1:2.8

The equipment:

- Philip Bloom Pocket Dolly (standard)
- Jib/Crane
- Glidecam HD2000 + Steadicam arm & west
- Skaterdolly

The Crew: Smaller than anybody would expect....

Neverless - the prototype Imagefilm was shot on the PANSONIC AF101 and completed in 2 1/2 days - you can also watch it here:

http://vimeo.com/19160600

Let me know, what you think...

cheezweezl
10-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Wow!!! This looks really good. Love the look and the camera movement. How much of the look was in camera? Having shot both fs100 and af100, is there a clear winner in your mind?

Great job.

maranfilms
10-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Looks good, It's obvious your going with the high key over exposed look, I just think some of the shots were to over exposed for the look to work. Other than that It came out really cool.

Dermot
10-15-2011, 09:22 AM
I was wondering what the colorist had to say about;
1) lens matching (or not)
2) digital negitive, and flexiablity

Looks great, i'm makeing the assumption that the blown-out look is done in post, and done on purpose... it's not a mistake, it's art ;-)

d

speedracerlo
10-15-2011, 11:08 AM
The videos were done very well and the colors were great too, but like mentioned above, some shots were too overexposed and the highlights looked a bit weird. I guess the overexposed stuff wasn't the FS100?

mediaplexx
10-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Wow!!! This looks really good. Love the look and the camera movement. How much of the look was in camera? Having shot both fs100 and af100, is there a clear winner in your mind?Great job. Thank you for your kind comments- some looks, this cam deliveres are perfectly useful out of the box (p.p6 for example). But generally it really depends on the scene/the lights and the picture-profile you use - if color correction is needed because of f.e. a flat picture profile.I didn't use any extra lights And if there were big differences in the scenarios - I simply had to choose or adjust the picture profile which gave me the look I wanted. With hard differences in the object-bachground lights, I had to set priorities - that is in some cases the reason for overexposed areas in the imagefilm.The second problem with this shoot was, that I didn't know the cam good enough to handle the cam in an optimised way.FS-100 vs AF-100?Pure picture-quality: clearly the Sony (better sharpness / dynamic range / details / highlights / codec implementation / lowlight ...)Handling: I think the Panny (better built qualy / nd's / better ergonomics etc) With kind regards from Germany

cinebuddy
10-15-2011, 08:46 PM
I like the look, reminded me of Minority Report in the palette. I'm really leaning toward this camera.

mediaplexx
10-15-2011, 11:51 PM
I like the look, reminded me of Minority Report in the palette. I'm really leaning toward this camera. I like it too!

mediaplexx
10-16-2011, 12:27 AM
The videos were done very well and the colors were great too, but like mentioned above, some shots were too overexposed and the highlights looked a bit weird. I guess the overexposed stuff wasn't the FS100? I am sorry to say that: Yes - highlights of both cams can be a problem. That's the point, where RAW recording or a High dynamic range shines!!!In some cases I just said to myself: "Wish I had the Epic or at least the Scarlet in my hands - something like HDR X can be sometimes a real lifesaver!

Postmaster
10-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Great job Hosam.

I have no problem with blown out highlights, if it is on propose and part of the look you want.
But I try to always take care on skin tones first.
If you got the skin right, you can do the rest with lighting or in post.
But if you got clipping on a face you are screwed.

Otherwise very nice shots. I did a similar spot for an BMW Dealer last year, but the script was ... umh not so great.
Itīs hard to get those conservative Schwaben to think out of the box.

Frank

mediaplexx
10-16-2011, 04:11 AM
Great job Hosam.

I have no problem with blown out highlights, if it is on propose and part of the look you want.
But I try to always take care on skin tones first.
If you got the skin right, you can do the rest with lighting or in post.
But if you got clipping on a face you are screwed.

Otherwise very nice shots. I did a similar spot for an BMW Dealer last year, but the script was ... umh not so great.
Itīs hard to get those conservative Schwaben to think out of the box.

Frank

Hi Frank - thanks for your comments,

to be honest...... I am a one man team - and every aspect: like the script, the actors, the directing, the camera, the storyline, EVERYTHING - was done by this "one man team" -

because of that, you can find sometimes "overexposed skintones from one to an other cut" because we started in the morning - checked some footage in the afternoon and after realizing that one or two takes are missing,

we jumped "zwischen Tür und Angel" to get the takes without much preparation.

Many scenes came to my mind in the same day - and after checking with the marketingmanager, we just changed some points in the storyline - it was about 30 or more % chaotic - that is mirrored by the film itself.

And believe me - I know how the "Otto-Normal-Schwabe" thinks - doing this film was a struggle for the marketing-manager and after the film was finished the chief pointed on the carpets, that donīt seem to be clean enough...

Neverless - youīre welcome to Ulm for a Tea or Coffee.

Postmaster
10-16-2011, 08:58 AM
And believe me - I know how the "Otto-Normal-Schwabe" thinks - doing this film was a struggle for the marketing-manager and after the film was finished the chief pointed on the carpets, that donīt seem to be clean enough...

Neverless - youīre welcome to Ulm for a Tea or Coffee.

LOL - sounds familiar.

Donīt get me wrong, your script was nothing but stellar, compared to the one I had to shoot.

And yeah I might drop by for a coffee, since Iīm in Augsburg, so itīs just a Katzensprung.

Frank