PDA

View Full Version : The Kit Lens Shines

jetswing
10-06-2011, 08:43 PM
I initially did not buy FS100 with the kit lens. After hearing some positive thing about it and wanting an option to shoot with auto focus feature, I had mode the plunge and bought the lens. I've had two shoots with it. It is indeed a great option for certain situation. I thought I would never say this but auto focus makes your life so much easier. Here's some sample shots from one of the shoots:

http://vimeo.com/29599561

http://vimeo.com/29599561

http://vimeo.com/32543380

http://vimeo.com/34258975

Searcher
10-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Nice work. I only got the lens because FS100s were only available in the kit form when I wanted one.. I planned on selling the lens straight away but it's a good workhorse.

alaskacameradude
10-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Yup, the kit lens performs pretty well......especially outside where the fact that it is slow just doesn't matter nearly as much. It may be slow and therefore not quite as 'shallow' as
you want the depth of field. The focus may be funky. The non constant aperture may annoy you......but there is nothing wrong with the images it puts out, that's for sure!
I love having that lens around.......there are quite a few things it is useful for.

jetswing
10-07-2011, 12:09 AM
The variable aperture is definitely the most annoying thing about the lens. The auto focus sometime goes hunting for nothing but I can live with that. If I need to do critical focusing, I'll just switch to manual mode.

FelixGER
10-07-2011, 06:43 AM
How did you do those flare effects (0:51 min)?

morgan_moore
10-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Zoom to 18mm, stop down to 6.3 and you have a non varying zoom

S

eheath
10-07-2011, 11:34 AM

S

i love this, most stoked on this about the kit lens

jetswing
10-07-2011, 02:51 PM
How did you do those flare effects (0:51 min)?
I just took the bokeh shot from 0:59 and overlayed with Soft Light Blend Mode.

DOSMedia
10-07-2011, 04:19 PM

S
I actually noticed during one of my shoots with it that once I zoomed into 200 with it, it automatically stopped down to 6.3 and then never moved again once I zoomed out. I will actually hook up my FF to my zoom ring on the kit lens and pull off some pretty smooth zooms with it.

The lens comes in handy no doubt. Obviously, not everyone has a need for it though.

One thing about the camera that impressed me was that I actually used the kit lens for a night shoot because I did not have a nikon mount yet and needed something with some range, so I had to go with the kit and it worked incredibly. Stopped down at 6.3 it (fs100) was far out performing the DSLRs we were using and the HVXs.

Scott F
10-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Looks so rad. I need this camera, and yes, the kit lens as well!

cheezweezl
10-13-2011, 09:33 AM
The kit lens is the sel18200, right? I'm about to go pick one up at samys right now and just want to be sure before dropping $800

Kyle McConaghy
10-13-2011, 10:06 AM
The kit lens is great in many ways... The autofocus and IOS are excellent, IMO. But if the alpha adapter allows AF and OIS, I maybe would have waited for this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/819163-REG/Sony_SAL1650_16_50mm_f_2_8_Standard_Zoom.html

cheezweezl
10-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Holy crap!!! The kit lens is pretty cool. I bought it this morning and shot with it all day. I was doing some guerilla pickups for a music vid so I left all my canon glass at home. The autofocus is spot on and the OSS is on par with my L lenses. Maybe even better. Just looked at the footage and I must say, I am very happy with this lens. Bummer I didn't just get the kit. I could have saved $200!!!

alaskacameradude
10-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Holy crap!!! The kit lens is pretty cool. I bought it this morning and shot with it all day. I was doing some guerilla pickups for a music vid so I left all my canon glass at home. The autofocus is spot on and the OSS is on par with my L lenses. Maybe even better. Just looked at the footage and I must say, I am very happy with this lens. Bummer I didn't just get the kit. I could have saved $200!!!

Yeah, when you look at the footage, you can forgive a lot.....
:-)

jetswing
11-23-2011, 04:46 AM
Here's another quick video entirely shot with a kit lens. And yes, I used Auto Focus feature! :)

Jean-Philippe
11-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Is the tilt-shift effect at the end was done in post or with an actual tilt-shift lens? It's great by the way!

jetswing
11-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Is the tilt-shift effect at the end was done in post or with an actual tilt-shift lens? It's great by the way!
The effect was done in the post. Does anyone actually use a tilt/shift lens to shoot tilt/shift video? :cheesy:

dillont
11-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Oh my GOD this is gorgeous footage. Whoa. Thanks for posting this.

I'm going to be buying this camera for our department.

NeedCreative
12-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Damn, with the kit lens no less! It does has its place; I've been hearing that from quite a few shooters that it's lovely for run and gun. I'm afraid to plop down $800 for slow glass though, but if I need F6...

dimerd10
12-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Did you use bullet looks for the color grading? Beautiful shots!

jetswing
12-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Did you use bullet looks for the color grading? Beautiful shots!
I use both Looks and Colorista.

jetswing
12-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Another quick and lazy grab using the kit lens.

Scott F
02-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Rather than start a new thread, I am just bumping this one.

I am on the verge of picking up the FS100 with the kit lens, but I need a few votes of confidence to pull the trigger. I primarily shoot corporate videos (talking heads & some live events) commercials (a lot of food shoots), music videos and the like.

My previous recent cameras have been the DVX100 and Canon XHA1, both of which I've unloaded.

I am currently using a 60D and still loving the DSLR look. I have been doing a lot of high-end corporate work. I need a camera with XLRs and all the things I've been desperately missing using DSLRs. I don't want to trick out a DSLR, I don't want to rely on a zoom recorder. I want to get back to using a form-factor camera with the potential for a filmic look and shallow DOF if needed.

The kit lens seems nice for run & gun from what I've seen. but I have some nice lenses for my Canons like the Tokina 11-16 and a EF 24-70. I would like integrate them.

The FS100 price point is about as high as I can go right now. But I'm loving all the work I see here. Is this the right camera for me? Any insight or personal feedback would be appreciated.

EDIT: bought an FS100. Like it so far, will post more feedback later.

danstone
02-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Rather than start a new thread, I am just bumping this one.I am on the verge of picking up the FS100 with the kit lens, but I need a few votes of confidence to pull the trigger. I primarily shoot corporate videos (talking heads & some live events) commercials (a lot of food shoots), music videos and the like.My previous recent cameras have been the DVX100 and Canon XHA1, both of which I've unloaded.I am currently using a 60D and still loving the DSLR look. I have been doing a lot of high-end corporate work. I need a camera with XLRs and all the things I've been desperately missing using DSLRs. I don't want to trick out a DSLR, I don't want to rely on a zoom recorder. I want to get back to using a form-factor camera with the potential for a filmic look and shallow DOF if needed.The kit lens seems nice for run & gun from what I've seen. but I have some nice lenses for my Canons like the Tokina 11-16 and a EF 24-70. I would like integrate them. The FS100 price point is about as high as I can go right now. But I'm loving all the work I see here. Is this the right camera for me? Any insight or personal feedback would be appreciated. I'm a film and RED guy so I'm pretty hard on the FS100 and its downfalls - however, I will say that the kit lens is really decent. A little slow but with as sensitive as the sensor is, you can confidently gain up to make up the difference. I'm also very impressed with the camera's image stabilization. I can hand-hold the camera in a zoom and make the shoot appear as if was on a tripod. The autofocus is nice, too, though a little laggy and quirky about what it focuses on (it often prefers the background raher than your subject). In summary, I highly recommend the kit lens.

danstone
02-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Sorry - I thought you were asking about the kit lens in particular.

For what you're doing this camera is perfect. If you love the DSLR look, you'll find this camera to be a step above in terms of quality and features. It's extremely versatile and easy to operate. The workflow will be very familiar to you.

It's a great tool for filming a talking head and then ripping it off the tripod for some cinematic b-roll. Turn on the stabilizer, sway your hips and this thing will give you a surprisingly smooth "dolly" shot.

As a bonus, this camera looks great, so clients don't cringe when you show up to a video shoot with a still camera.

I won't go into the cam's downfalls because coming from a DSLR they won't matter to you.

I'd go for it.

rmdorrington
02-02-2012, 11:05 PM
I say go for it.

I too am upgrading from a Canon xha1. I've done a lot of work on it, but it's time for an upgrade. The Sony FS100 is a great camera, and at the perfect price point for me. I'm definitely going to get the kit lens as a work horse. Probably buy a cheap Bower adapter, and use a few cheap Nikons.

This camera will be around for a while. I expect Sony to release something like an f5 at NAB this year, so I don't think we really have to worry about something between an FS100, and the F3.

alarch
02-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Hello,
I'va been using the Kit lens since it came out... It is a good lens very handy with a great autofocus and stabilisation. (for me lens sabilisation is a must have if you get to in a "documentary" style).
However it is the lens the most sensitive to flares that I have. It can be nice and usefull if your aiming for flares and foggy look like the kind of videos shown in this thread (that are very nice). But if you face the sun a little, you get big big flares , and very foggy look, it's a big suprise... Also becarefull when your aiming to the sun or a bright window, you get to see all the little dirt ou dust that your lens might have picked up.

Scott F
02-03-2012, 04:19 AM
For what you're doing this camera is perfect. If you love the DSLR look, you'll find this camera to be a step above in terms of quality and features. It's extremely versatile and easy to operate. The workflow will be very familiar to you.

It's a great tool for filming a talking head and then ripping it off the tripod for some cinematic b-roll. Turn on the stabilizer, sway your hips and this thing will give you a surprisingly smooth "dolly" shot.

As a bonus, this camera looks great, so clients don't cringe when you show up to a video shoot with a still camera.

I won't go into the cam's downfalls because coming from a DSLR they won't matter to you.

I'd go for it.

Yes, hello, this is exactly what I'm talking about. As much as I love the look of the DSLRs, I don't want any cringing clients. And I've been burned by my own stupidity working with zoom recorders as an alternative to on-board professional audio capabilities. danstone, I have been following some of your other threads and I am aware of what you perceive as the FS100's shortcomings. But I think for someone like me, it will be just fine. :Drogar-Happy(DBG):

But I'm certainly holding onto my DSLRs for B-cams if needed. They have their place in my workflow.

I had talked to dvxuser cheezeweasel who recommended a Fotodiox adapter for Canon lenses. Does anyone else have suggestions for a fairly inexpensive adapter that would let me mount Canon EF lenses? It doesn't have to be the best of the best, but I would love to be able to keep those lenses in the mix.

Guys, thanks for the quick responses…..I need to pick up a new camera ASAP.

morgan_moore
02-03-2012, 04:33 AM
There are loads of threads on EF lenses - conorus is the closest adapter to working.

Back to the kit lens

FLare is a worry - esp with a vari ND of some nature

Ive rigged a Frenchflag on my rig - cardboard on a little magic arm - it does help

S