PDA

View Full Version : FS100 + Canon FD lens example

Kyle McConaghy
10-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi, everyone – I'm making a short documentary about international adoption. Here is an intro sequence I filmed with the FS100 and a Canon FD lens. Would love to hear your thoughts / suggestions!

Thanks!
Kyle

David G. Smith
10-05-2011, 06:17 PM
very nice. I absolutely love the colors on that. I've been looking at the FD lenses. Which ones did you use on that?

Kyle McConaghy
10-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks so much! I used the 50mm 1.4 S.S.C. I absolutely love it. I want to buy a FD 28mm 2.0. Has anyone used that with the FS100?

optitek
10-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Te colors and falloff look good but it's soft. It's extremely difficult to pull focus at f1.4- probably only about an inch or two of DOF.
Did you shoot it WO of stopped down?

LiamR
10-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Some great shots!

I too have the FD 50mm! lovely lens

cinevateluke
10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
LOVE the look, colors and contrast. Are you able to get focus at infinity with an FD on the FS100?

robear51
10-11-2011, 04:26 AM
The video is not showing anymore, but I really like the Canon FD lenses and have been snapping them up on e-Bay. The best one so far is my 85mm f1.2 L Series, its absolutely awesome for interviews. I also have a 50mm 1.4, and just picked up a 135m f2, and a 35mm f2, and waiting for them to be delivered. They are a great option to get a set of primes for this camera. I use the Kipon adaptor and find it's a really snug tight fit. I haven't had any issues with focusing to infinity, but have read it could be an issue.

LiamR
10-11-2011, 04:57 AM
The video is not showing anymore, but I really like the Canon FD lenses and have been snapping them up on e-Bay. The best one so far is my 85mm f1.2 L Series, its absolutely awesome for interviews. I also have a 50mm 1.4, and just picked up a 135m f2, and a 35mm f2, and waiting for them to be delivered. They are a great option to get a set of primes for this camera. I use the Kipon adaptor and find it's a really snug tight fit. I haven't had any issues with focusing to infinity, but have read it could be an issue.

Do you have any footage of the 85mm L on the FS100, I really want to see an FD L series lens on the camera!

-Sandro-
10-11-2011, 05:56 AM
did you delete the video?

robear51
10-12-2011, 04:55 AM
I am waiting on the first commercial shoot I shot with it last week. The productrion house actually asked what the camera was that I was using, as the pictures were crisp and sharp and files went straight into their Avid editing system faster than usual...Happy client!! I will post a hopefully not too compressed version when it comes.

Kyle McConaghy
10-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Sorry... I took the video down, but it's now back up!

Thanks! Kyle

FelixGER
10-12-2011, 09:22 AM
I have no idea how to achieve that look with my FS100! How was this colorgraded?

_JD_
10-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Great looking footage- didn't think the music matched the mood but that's picking nits.

Kyle McConaghy
10-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Thanks, guys! I used a slight variation of the Abel Cine Varicam setting... but I think most of the coloring comes from the FD lens. I used a 35% Magic Bullet grade (a variation of one of the stock settings, I believe). But it looks pretty much like that off of the card.

Danny1280
10-12-2011, 10:38 AM
That look...it's so beautiful. Makes me want to use this camera (or the f3). It's more than just shallow depth of field. It's the way the images make me feel when I look at them. And from what I've seen so far, I don't get that feeling when looking at AF100 images.

MattDavis
10-12-2011, 12:42 PM
A friend of mine is seriously contemplating a hunt for some nice FD primes, the idea being - for around a grand - one could get a good set of primes with manual aperture that focus the 'right' way for the price of an EOS adaptor. Based on the market for good 'old school' Nikkors just before the DoF Adaptor rush.

Expect the price of FD glass to go up! :-)

moldcad
10-13-2011, 06:13 AM
Some great shots!

I too have the FD 50mm! lovely lens

I second that. Have a collection of FD lenses (24/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 35-107/3.5), for some Euro 20 each from eBay. Marvelous images, and that's with an $20 adapter, too (I bought it for testing the FS100, but it is so good I don't see a need to buy anything more expensive).

David G. Smith
10-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Expect the price of FD glass to go up! :-)

They already are. I have been watching them on eBay for a little while and have noticed that the prices for fast primes are already starting to creep up.

robfilms
10-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Sorry... I took the video down, but it's now back up!

Thanks! Kyle

kyle-

thank you for re-posting.

the images are lovely indeed.

the lens was canon fd 50mm/1.4?

if i may ask, what does the ssc designation mean?

did you shoot the posted piece wide open at 1.4?

did you rig out the fs100 with rails, follow focus and an external monitor or did you mount the 50mm w/o rails and use the fs100's monitor to focus?

thanks in advance for sharing any info on your rig and how the fs100 performed in the field.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

moldcad
10-13-2011, 06:51 AM
They already are. I have been watching them on eBay for a little while and have noticed that the prices for fast primes are already starting to creep up.

Yeah... Some wishful thinking: if only the FS100 had OIS in camera body... That would make the FD lenses the best prime performers for the price (and the Alpha lenses - the best zooms).

Kyle McConaghy
10-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks, Rob! It was the 50mm 1.4 that I used. I think the SSC is just a coating on the lens... most 1.4's you will find are SSC.

As far as the settings go, I think my F-stop was between 2 and 4 for most of the shoot. As someone else in this thread pointed out, I should have stopped down to F8 or so during the candid family shots, to get a little more depth of field.

I haven't rigged this out yet, so I did this w/o follow focus or any support. I honestly think this camera performs decently handheld, especially with the kit lens. Using the built-in stabilization, I was able to get smooth handheld shots for content that shows up later in this short doc. Even using a prime without stabilization... like it did for this shoot, it wasn't too bad to handle. That being said, I'm looking forward to buying a shoulder rig soon. Any sub-Zacuto recommendations from anyone?

I definitely love using this camera... a huge step up from DSLRs or the EX1. Myself and others have noticed the slightly weird motion rendering you see on some footage online... but I really haven't noticed it too much on my own. Maybe it's the detail that is making people's shots look weird? I have mine at -3.

Richard Allen Crook
10-14-2011, 09:52 AM
I picked up a Canon FD lens, 20mm for dirt cheap and am very impressed. They are great for the cost/quality. I also noticed that the ribbed focus ring matches my follow focus teeth perfectly...no need for an additional gear ring! Has anyone else noticed this?

MattDavis
10-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Myself and others have noticed the slightly weird motion rendering you see on some footage online... but I really haven't noticed it too much on my own.

Over and above the usual Jello stuff? More so than an EX1 but less so than a DSLR? I'm keeping quiet about it - clients aren't bothered in the commercial/corporate field. I wouldn't want to shoot motion track plates with it though. Not without recording externally at 422 at 10 bit and handing over to After Effects or Motion to calm the rolling shutter. But it's within most tolerances.

Maybe it's the detail that is making people's shots look weird? I have mine at -3.

Now, that's an interesting thing. I did comparisons between EX1, FS100 and 5D, and whilst I didn't see the benefits of reducing Detail like you do with the EX1 (remember to add it BACK in post), I do notice that I think the sharpening circuits - even at OFF - are trying to sharpen bokeh. I've been shooting with -7 (adding sharpening in post) and I want to up it back from there, and you've got the same result by using -3. Maybe that's the sweet spot.

cheezweezl
10-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks, Rob! It was the 50mm 1.4 that I used. I think the SSC is just a coating on the lens... most 1.4's you will find are SSC.

I was told that s.s.c. or super spectral coating was only an "upgrade" on the older breach mount lenses. Any of the newer bayonet mount lenses have the s.s.c. by default.

Beyond that, this thread made me decide to order an FD adapter for my fs100. I have a few nice FD lenses but I hadn't thought of using them since I have a wider range of EOS glass. I'm glad I did this. My FD glass is awesome on the fs100. The standount of the bunch is my 85mm f1.8. This lens looks sooooo much better than anything else I own including my 70-200 f2.8L. I think I may expand my FD collection a bit. As of now I have 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, and 135mm 2.5. I'm thinking maybe a 24mm, 35mm, and 200mm will round me out nicely. I would love to get the 14mm L but it still seems to be pulling a mint online...

Erwin Vanderhoydonks
12-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Can you compare these Canon FD lenses with the Sony Alpha lenses. Which of them gives the best image quality?
Thanks for your feedback...

ectobuilder
12-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks so much! I used the 50mm 1.4 S.S.C. I absolutely love it. I want to buy a FD 28mm 2.0. Has anyone used that with the FS100?

Yep, here it is the 28mm FD F2.0 on the FS100:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is_k-kWCZ2I

IanD
12-12-2011, 04:39 AM
Canon FD lenses are a bargain indeed. Here a quick test I threw together when I got a nice Canon FD 35-105mm f3.5 zoom. I think I paid $79 for it and its now my go to lens for sit down interviews unless I need to throw the background more out of focus. It has older coatings so it ghosts and flares easily but otherwise its very nice and almost ideal for interviews. http://vimeo.com/31326286

robfilms
12-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Canon FD lenses are a bargain indeed. Here a quick test I threw together when I got a nice Canon FD 35-105mm f3.5 zoom. I think I paid $79 for it and its now my go to lens for sit down interviews unless I need to throw the background more out of focus. It has older coatings so it ghosts and flares easily but otherwise its very nice and almost ideal for interviews. http://vimeo.com/31326286

ian-

thank you for sharing.

the canon fd looks good.

i thought the color rendition was lovely.

the bokeh was more than acceptable.

on shots against the sky, i did not notice any purple fringing or ca around the edges of leaves

thumbs up.

by the way, what fd -> e mount adapter did you use?

if i may ask, there are moments in the vimeo piece where it looks like the footage "flutters" or "waves"-it is not steady.

did you notice that or is that vimeo compression or perhaps my wonky verizon web connect?

again, thanks for adding to the conversation.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

moldcad
12-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Stabilization of CMOS material (subject to rolling shutther effect) at its worst...

stancemedia
12-12-2011, 10:47 AM
I see the stabilized portion it twitches like normal
stabilized footage from a CMOS sensor like mentioned
by Moldcad.

I still think the material has an organic look. Not overly
handheld looking. So I believe it's just right, the amount
of stabilization that was done.

You did mention you used the Varicam (JR45CINE) scene
file I'm assuming. What variations to the picture profile
did you use?

If I've failed to mention it still, I love the piece. It's got
great color rendition and good typography. Very appealing.

IanD
12-20-2011, 05:37 AM
ian-thank you for sharing. the canon fd looks good. i thought the color rendition was lovely.the bokeh was more than acceptable.on shots against the sky, i did not notice any purple fringing or ca around the edges of leaves thumbs up.by the way, what fd -> e mount adapter did you use?if i may ask, there are moments in the vimeo piece where it looks like the footage "flutters" or "waves"-it is not steady.did you notice that or is that vimeo compression or perhaps my wonky verizon web connect?again, thanks for adding to the conversation.be wellrobsmalltalk productions Thanks Rob. Yeah I shot all of it handheld and used FCPX to stabilize it. Any odd wobble or weave is the result or the stabilization algorithm. I like it I hate it but its better for me than the awful distracting micro jitters this camera can suffer from in handheld mode.The FD-NEX adapter I use is the cheap Fotasy one from Rainbow imaging on EBay. Ian

Granville
12-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Those Zeiss Contax G lenses (your other vimeo vid) look really nice as well. I am finding that I really like contrasty lenses on this camera. Is there a C/Y mount available for the FS100? The old Zeiss C/Y lenses would probably hold up nicely (though they are not much of a bargain as FD's).

IanD
12-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Those Zeiss Contax G lenses (your other vimeo vid) look really nice as well. I am finding that I really like contrasty lenses on this camera. Is there a C/Y mount available for the FS100? The old Zeiss C/Y lenses would probably hold up nicely (though they are not much of a bargain as FD's). Yessir there is a c/y - e adapter. I use the Fotasy one, cheap but functional. I have a handful of the Contax Zeiss primes too: 28/2.8, 50/1.7 primes and the 35-70/3.4 and 80-200/4 zooms. All are excellent but not quite as good as the Contax G primes which are exceptional. Unfortunately the prices of these lenses has shot up exponentially in the last 3 years. I had a really nice set of the Zeiss slr lenses that I sold a few years ago and Im kicking myself for it daily.

David G. Smith
12-21-2011, 06:22 PM
So, I have been reading up on the FD lenses. There flange to focal plane distance is about 42mm, correct? So they work great with the Sony E mount which has a flange to focal plane distance of, I think 18mm. What about adapting these lenses to other mounts, specifically the PL mount, which has flange to focal plane distance of, I think, 52mm. They would need adapters with additional optics, correct?