PDA

View Full Version : Kit Lens and ND solution!?

cameronschmucker
10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I need some suggestions on a solution for having ND with the kit lens. I have't found specs on the size of the lens or if it's threaded for screw-on filters.

What are my options?

Thanks!
--

AtticusLake
10-04-2011, 03:14 PM
The kit lens has a 67mm filter thread:

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/539-sony18200f3563nex
(http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/539-sony18200f3563nex)
So one option would be to get 77mm filters and use a step-up ring; this allows you to use the same filters with a lens that has a 77mm thread, such as the Tokina 11-16.

I actually tried using a Cokin filter holder, but it's even more hassle to set up than step-up rings, and light can get in between the filters and cause flare.

Of course, you should really be using a matte box... but depending on what you're doing, that may be more bulk and cost than you want. Without it, though, you'll be forever trying to keep the lens shaded to eliminate flare.

morgan_moore
10-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Ive got a 77 step up ring for the kit lens

Ive got a step up ring on all of my lenses so that I dont need a host of different sized NDs but just stick with 77s

Step up rings cost less than $10 - buy a good stock of them!

S

eheath
10-05-2011, 12:40 AM
I use a 77mm LCW faderND mkii with a step down ring to 67. works very well.

alaskacameradude
10-05-2011, 01:00 AM
I've got a Heliopan variable ND with a 67 to 77 step ring. This is the primo variable ND filter out there in my opinion.....but of course that means you will pay
dearly for it. I paid $399 for mine.....but with the demand for them growing from FS100 shooters, last I saw the price had went up to $430 or so. The good thing
about it, is that you won't get a strange color cast, also even with the lens zoomed in to 200mm, you won't see any softness, and even with the filter at max strength,
you won't get the dreaded 'X'. But it's spendy and has no threads on the front of it so you can't screw on a lens shade. It works absolutely awesome, has hard stops
at each end, and basically works like a professional camera iris ring, nice smooth exposure control. So it depends what you want (matte box, screw in filters, variable
ND?) and what is your budget (matte boxes are often very spendy. With rails and a matte box you are often looking at over $1000 unless you buy a Chinese E bay knock off
set up. Of course the Heliopan is spendy too, and many people like the Genius, the Lightcraft, or the Singh Ray variable ND's just fine. The Tiffin is another good one. Or
you can buy screw in filters that are fixed strength. Lots of options out there and different ways to approach it).

legrevedotcom
10-05-2011, 06:00 AM
Damn... I guess its because you are in north america. If you are in Europe you can check it out at fotobrenner.de and get it somewhat cheaper. And I would support Alaskas suggestion with stepring etc. Get the 77mm or what ever your other lenses are and get a step ring from 67 > your size.

cameronschmucker
10-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Can I not get a 67mm ND kit?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674663-REG/Tiffen_67NDK3_67mm_Digital_Neutral_Density.html

alaskacameradude
10-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Damn... I guess its because you are in north america. If you are in Europe you can check it out at fotobrenner.de and get it somewhat cheaper. And I would support Alaskas suggestion with stepring etc. Get the 77mm or what ever your other lenses are and get a step ring from 67 > your size.

Crazy, but I guess it makes sense as I remember having to wait for my Heliopan to clear customs....it took an extra 2 days to get to me because of that. On the other
hand, we probably get the FS100 a bit cheaper........

alaskacameradude
10-05-2011, 01:03 PM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674663-REG/Tiffen_67NDK3_67mm_Digital_Neutral_Density.html

Of course you could! I was just telling you what I did, it may not be what you want to do at all! You may have very different needs than me.
If you get the kit you link to, you will have to screw and unscrew filters, a variable ND lets you put one filter on and adjust it for different
levels of light, so it's better for R&G shooting. Also, the kit you link to has a maximum filter of 4 stops (unless you can 'stack' the
filters somehow.) This is not nearly enough for bright sunlight, and a wide open iris at the wide end of the kit lens. I often use my Heliopan
at 5 1/2 to 6 stops of light reduction. The final point, is that the filter set you link to WOULD work with the kit lens, but if you ever bought
a lens with 77mm threads, it wouldn't work with that lens.....which is why some of use buy bigger ND filters than we need and get step rings,
that way the ND filters can work with future lens purchases as well. All that being said, Tiffen makes good stuff, and if that filter set fits
your needs and budget, go for it.

AtticusLake
10-05-2011, 01:06 PM

You could, but I would definitely suggest getting a 77mm kit -- otherwise if you get a 77mm lens, you'll be buying the same filters all over again. Plus you may well end up with other filters, like a polariser, so the cost will go up.

Looking at that kit, I would personally want darker filters, too -- 4 stops just isn't that much, if you want slow shutter speeds with the lens opened up in daylight.

cameronschmucker
10-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks everyone, I will go with more stops, this is cheaper than the other vari filters mentioned.. any experience with this one opposed to the one over 100 dollars more?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676824-REG/Genus_GL_GNDF_77_77mm_ND_Neutral_Density.html

--

eheath
10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks everyone, I will go with more stops, this is cheaper than the other vari filters mentioned.. any experience with this one opposed to the one over 100 dollars more?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676824-REG/Genus_GL_GNDF_77_77mm_ND_Neutral_Density.html

--

best bang for buck right here
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/742535-REG/Light_Craft_321_77mm_Fader_ND_Mark.html

Postmaster
10-06-2011, 12:06 AM
I second that, the 77 is the best solution, not only because of your future lens size, but because it has no treads.

Sounds odd in the first place, I know.

You have no front treads on the Heliopan, so your sunshade - preferably a rubber shade that collapses in 3 steps - goes on the lens first, then the filter goes on the sunshade.
That moves the ND a few millimeters away from the lens, and can cause vignetting on 28mm and wider glass. If you have an oversize ND, you are golden down to 21mm.
Haven t tested with a 16mm, since I donīt have one.

Here is what I have done:

All my glass has a step up ring to 77mm.
The 77mm Heliopan and the 77mm rubber sun shield stick together all the time, and I just bolt that combination on the glass I need in the moment.

Actually I would love to see a Heliopan with front treads, since I always have to collapse the rubber shade to get assess to the ring.
A little handle would be nice too. I gonna talk to Heliopan, and see what they say.

Edit: Just talked to Heliopan - they have the variable ND with front threads now - in the moment they started to pump them out, but it may take a while till it hits your local shops.

Frank