PDA

View Full Version : Talking about the kit lens and low light

Postmaster
10-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Talking about the kit lens and low light.....

Italian Circus - Sony Nex FS100 with 18-200 kit lens... Colored - Magic Bullet Mojo... Edited - Adobe Premiere CS5.5 - Shot in Istanbul by Kaan Yenileyen.

http://vimeo.com/29967038

Frank

moldcad
10-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Yeah, the kit lens can be pretty nice in usage; I don't mind its F3.5 at wide - if only it kept all the way to tele :)

It offers very good stabilization, and - when needed - pretty accurate auto functions, too.

Matthew Bennett
10-04-2011, 06:12 AM
LOve that contrasty night look!

moldcad
10-04-2011, 06:52 AM
I'd even go as far as saying that - with the F100 camera and its kit lens - Sony is trying to impose some new standards on us video-makers, and do it in a very consistent way, too. Well - not new really, but certainly originating elsewhere - in traditional photography rather than film making!

No in-built ND filters? What the heck - who said video needs to be shot at a constant (and equal 2x fps) rate?

With the kit lens, it's all so easy to:

- set the iris at the lowest common denominator for all focal lengths so that it doesn't ramp (F6.3)
- set the shutter speed to Auto
- when the light is not enough for F6.3 aperture and the slowest possible shutter, just engage gain as well; you will most probably not even notice it!

Now you can use the camera just like a run&gun handycam - and if you ask me about the DOF at F6.3, well, I'll tell you that towards tele focal lengths, it's still shallow enough for creative purposes...