PDA

View Full Version : a trivial problem:)

moldcad
10-03-2011, 07:31 AM
I've left my Heliopan VND filter on one of my lenses for a couple of days, with a Marumi step-up ring. And now I cannot screw the Heliopan off the ring - only the latter will turn, in the lens' thread!

I was hoping for some better materials in both (Marumi is Made in Japan, while Heliopan - in Germany); never occurred to me they might stick like that. Arghh.... I'll apply some grease to all my step-up rings' threads, but please advise on some DIY methods of detaching the two :)

Rick Burnett
10-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Maybe put a light on it and see if the metal expanded a tiny bit, might be easier to unthread? (Don't bake it, just enough to warm a little).

Of course, maybe making it colder could help. Not sure if they use the same metals, if they do, neither of these would probably help.

I know the local camera shop has a filter wrench for removing filters (it was very inexpensive). It's just always hard to get the pressure at the right points on a step ring of filter, that's for sure.

Also, if you might want to avoid in future, check these out:

http://xumeadapters1.gostorego.com/

I use these!

Rick

moldcad
10-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks Rick for the tip, I'll certainly try the heating method (cooling is less practical) - hopefully they will let go...

As for the Xume, are you using one between each step up ring and a VND filter?
Cause you see, I've got a bunch of them (lens and rings, that is) :)

Rick Burnett
10-03-2011, 08:18 AM
What I did was step up all my lenses to 77mm, as all my filters are 77mm. Then just used between that interface.

Darren Levine
10-03-2011, 08:21 AM
+1 on heat/cold application. also if you have a rubber sheet of any kind that you could use to get a better grip on it might help

moldcad
10-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Same here, but that means you either have as many Xume's "fixed halves" as your lenses/step-ups, or... you have to unscrew/screw the single one between the rings anyway, which means it may stick one day :)

Or didn't I get you right, perhaps?

briankauf
10-03-2011, 09:00 AM
I had a UV filter stuck on a lens for years; tried hot/cold, filter wrenches, rubber mat, etc. Finally, I got it off by getting a big thick rubber band and wrapping it around the filter, that gave me the grip to easily twist it right off!

moldcad
10-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Yep - it's the matter of the right grip; the problem here though is the thickness of the step-up ring is so tiny, I don't see a way to apply it :(

Rick Burnett
10-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Oh yeah, I have the xume pieces permanently attached to my lens and filters. I have no need to take them off now. So I have 5 lens, so 5 pieces for the lens and 2 filters (but I bought extra pieces for filters as I knew I'd be getting more).

stevedocmaker
10-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I tried the Xume things, but they made me a bit nervous. One accidental bump and that expensive variable ND will be a paper weight. Also, there was barely enough friction between the two pieces to be able to use the variable ND with one hand. They do what they advertise though, quick changing of filters across different lenses. Just my $.02.

Rick Burnett
10-03-2011, 02:22 PM
I tried the Xume things, but they made me a bit nervous. One accidental bump and that expensive variable ND will be a paper weight. Also, there was barely enough friction between the two pieces to be able to use the variable ND with one hand. They do what they advertise though, quick changing of filters across different lenses. Just my $.02.

Did you use their first round when they were known as Tango, or this round? I have only used the new ones myself.

I could see with a hard enough bump, that is true, but I did test mine over something soft and I was amazed at the holding strength of them. So much so that on the two shoots I've used them, no issue and I had no issue adjusting the variND with one hand either (which worried me at first). But, I've not tested enough of them to know if there is any difference in certain circumstances.

I know they went through a big redesign.

But, it won't be as secure as screwed on ever really, so that is a good point people should consider. I just love the speed of on and off with them.

Postmaster
10-03-2011, 03:06 PM
This here worked for me:
Itīs an opener for bottles and other household stuff.
Works pretty much like an oil filter remover for cars.

A few bucks on in your local houseware shop
http://www2.westfalia.de/shops/haushalt/kuechenhelfer/oeffnen_und_leeren/universal__ffner/71605-universal_oeffner_2_er_set_glaeser_und_flaschenoef fner_in_einem.htm

Frank

41126 41127 41128

moldcad
10-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks Frank; if nothing else works I'll give this thing a try! Didn't even know it existed - if it weren't it should be invented:). Only one thing still worries me: the Marumi rings are really very narrow / thin (some 3 mms only)...

moldcad
10-04-2011, 01:35 AM
OK, problem solved. I just put the stuck filter/ring on a flat piece of foam material (the step-up ring facing down), pressed down firmly, and turned the Heliopan filter - it let go!

Before attaching it to any of the lens/step-up rings for a longer time again, I'm going to apply some of the natural "grease" from my own nostrils to their threads... :) Have heard somewhere it's the least corrosion-prone way - is it true?