PDA

View Full Version : no 1080i?

razamalik
05-10-2005, 09:06 AM
I must say i have come to love this cam, the look and feel of the thing is great and so is the interchangeable lenses. HVX200 sounds better with the 1080p and DVCPRO HD is way better than HDV but you have to invest a great amount of money towards the P2 to start with and the low recording time is a minus for event videography for now. Ok if JVC is not offering 1080p but why on earth is JVC only going with 720p and no 1080i? at least give us 1080i on Hd100. HDV supports 1080i and both sony models offer it so why is it not included in the HD100? wouldnt it be great to have more options? Canon pls bring us XL3 that does 1080-24p on tape and on HDD like Firestore with all the features of XL2 at a better price... by that i mean cheaper than HD100.

thisiswells
05-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi!

Ok if JVC is not offering 1080p but why on earth is JVC only going with 720p and no 1080i? at least give us 1080i on Hd100. HDV supports 1080i and both sony models offer it so why is it not included in the HD100?
They decided not to. No-one from JVC officially reads or comments on this board,
unlike Panasonic who reads this board daily..
I would suggest contacting JVC elsewhere since they aren't part of this community.

JVC Professional Customer Support
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/contact_us.jsp

wouldnt it be great to have more options? Canon pls bring us XL3 that does 1080-24p on tape and on HDD like Firestore with all the features of XL2 at a better price... by that i mean cheaper than HD100.
I don't know where you read that about the XL3. Is that a rumor?
Or, could you provide a link to an article from a news agency indicating a XL3?
At NAB2005, Canon wouldn't say a word about any upcoming products only hinted at
an announcement later this year. Has more info. been announced since NAB?
I would suggest contacting Canon elsewhere since they aren't part of this community.

Consumer Products - Camcorders - Contact Canon
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ContactCanonAct&fcategoryid=617

Welcome aboard to DVXuser.com
We're glad to have you. :thumbsup:

Barry_Green
05-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Ok if JVC is not offering 1080p but why on earth is JVC only going with 720p and no 1080i? at least give us 1080i on Hd100. HDV supports 1080i and both sony models offer it so why is it not included in the HD100?
Not gonna happen. Sony supports 1080i, but not 720p. JVC supports 720p, but not 1080i.

"HDV" supports both, but they're basically two entirely incompatible standards lumped under one name. JVC decks cannot play back Sony HDV tapes to firewire, and Sony decks cannot play back JVC tapes to firewire.

Frankly, other than the HVX, I don't think there's a dual-format camcorder in existence, or even planned. The Sony 900, 700, 750 line, they're all 1080-only -- in fact, Sony doesn't make any sort of 720p product at all.

Panasonic makes a 720p-only VariCam, and a 1080i-only HDX400.

The only dual-format camcorder that's even being talked about, that I can think of, is the HVX200.

harlan
05-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Well I'm sure the reason JVC reps don't respond here is related to the fact that up until recently this site had been dedicated exclusively to the DVX100.

David Jimerson
05-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Canon pls bring us XL3 that does 1080-24p on tape and on HDD like Firestore with all the features of XL2 at a better price... by that i mean cheaper than HD100.

Just not going to happen.

David Jimerson
05-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Well I'm sure the reason JVC reps don't respond here is related to the fact that up until recently this site had been dedicated exclusively to the DVX100.

That's not true. We've always talked about other cameras here. There's been an XL2 subforum for almost a year. The Sony and the JVC got their own, too, as announcements came and it was appropriate.

Henrik Fisch
06-03-2005, 06:45 AM
@Barry_Green:

"HDV" supports both, but they're basically two entirely incompatible standards lumped under one name. JVC decks cannot play back Sony HDV tapes to firewire, and Sony decks cannot play back JVC tapes to firewire
Is this a rumor or a fact? I just ask, because I have a clear statement from Sony in mind, which says the HDR-FX1/HVR-Z1 and their recorder HVR-M10 could play miniDV tapes recorded with HDV 720p. And which only other systems could record 720p? :undecided

Though Iím not sure if it just plays it over firewire. But if it does not, it would be a real pain in the Ö (you know).

Regards,
Henrik Fisch

xray
06-03-2005, 07:44 AM
That's not true. We've always talked about other cameras here. There's been an XL2 subforum for almost a year. The Sony and the JVC got their own, too, as announcements came and it was appropriate.
Yes, they talk about other cameras too, but I think that the people you see here most, promote Panasonic more than other brands. There is a strong - I can understand that- systematic preverence for the Panasonic brand.

Videoguy1
06-03-2005, 10:21 PM
I think the reason we don't see responses from JVC employees is that they only have a fraction of the number of employees/ sales in the US that Sony and Panasonic have and not since the GY-DV500 has anything they ever produced been as popular as the DVX100A. JVC Professional is a far smaller company than the other two. The other reason is probably that it may seem a bit odd to a JVC or Sony employee for that matter to post on a site named after a competitors product. Ken Freed, a respected technical rep from JVC posts on the Creative Cow forum. I'm sure if there were a site called HD100user.com, he would post there.

See this link:

http://www.creativecow.net/forum/view_posts_date.php?umpid=&forumid=36&age=60

There is also some good HDV discussion on the forum here:

http://www.creativecow.net/forum/view_posts_date.php?forumid=162&tzo=480

Speaking of HDV, has anyone seen this HDV site?

http://www.hdv-info.org/

Barry_Green
06-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Is this a rumor or a fact?
Fact, according to FX1 users, Z1 users, and JVC representatives.

I just ask, because I have a clear statement from Sony in mind, which says the HDR-FX1/HVR-Z1 and their recorder HVR-M10 could play miniDV tapes recorded with HDV 720p.
Yes, they can play them out to the analog ports, for viewing on a television. But they cannot play them through the firewire port for digitizing.

You can put an HD1 tape in an FX1 and play it and it will show up on the television. But you cannot plug your FX1 into a computer and digitize that HD1 tape -- it simply doesn't have the capability.

I asked JVC if their new BR50 deck (or whatever it's called) would support firewire transfer/digitizing of Sony HDV tapes, and they said "nope". Their deck will play DVCAM through firewire, a Sony-only format, but it won't play Sony HDV through firewire. It can play Sony HDV onto its analog ports for viewing on a television, but it will not let you digitize/capture footage from a Sony HDV tape.

Henrik Fisch
06-04-2005, 02:52 AM
@Barry_Green:

Yes, they can play them out to the analog ports, for viewing on a television. But they cannot play them through the firewire port for digitizing. ...Thanks Barry for your quick response.

These are really really bad news. :(

Regards,
Henrik Fisch