PDA

View Full Version : MTF EOS adaptor for FS100

MattDavis
09-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Got a few minutes to play with Mike Tapa's adaptor that fits Canon EOS lenses to the FS100 with full iris control.

http://www.vimeo.com/29850603

Launch at IBC was a little bit 'oh' when we saw the box, but today's experience has cheered me up no end: the box is only there to set the aperture. Once done, you can unplug it and shoot away. If you set it to f5.6 on your Tokina 11-16, then remove the lens and replace it with a Sigma 50mm f1.4, it immediately sets to f5.6 too. And so on. Set the mount, the mount tells the lens, if the box is attached or not. And there's 1/4" mounting points all over it for Noga arms, and Caleb's mount (http://www.vimeo.com/29772566) too.

Interestingly, the box reports the ACTUAL f-stop of lenses that aren't constant aperture.

Pulling iris is possible for 'gross movements', but it's not a fine-resolution thing. Still room for Vari-ND.

photog3535
09-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Any word when this will be released to the public? Cost?

MattDavis
10-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Alas not - no hard dates yet, sounds like hardware's done but the devil's in the software. Still testing, found a bug with the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS yesterday... Seems like every lens has a different take on how the protocol should be. But it's close!

mgost
01-02-2012, 10:50 AM
http://vimeo.com/34415268

conurus
01-04-2012, 12:52 PM
I wonder where the mount gets the power from, as power is required when you put on the second lens before it could possibly stop down to f/5.6.

jetswing
01-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Sounds like the power is supplied through the control box unit. It also powers the IS.

MattDavis
01-04-2012, 04:33 PM
4x AA batteries in the box.

If your only interest is in aperture, then you can unplug the box once aperture is set. If you want IS, then you'll need the box to power it. I wonder what the situation would be with NiMHs.

I can see rising demand for a D-Tap, Canon 5D, NP-F or even USB powered version, run off a V-Lock. Poor Mike, let's let it ship for a bit first!

conurus
01-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Maybe I am misinterpreting the first post. It sounded like you could remove the box and then put on a second lens and that second lens is set to the aperture you last set with the box. That sounds implausible if the box is the power source. Of course in the single lens scenario you can remove the power source and the aperture remains at where it is last set to. And also of course if the box remains attached you can swap as many lenses as you want.

Rick Burnett
01-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Matt, I've been reading a mid January release date, are you hearing that at all? I need one of these ASAP! :)

mico
01-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Maybe I am misinterpreting the first post. It sounded like you could remove the box and then put on a second lens and that second lens is set to the aperture you last set with the box. That sounds implausible if the box is the power source. Of course in the single lens scenario you can remove the power source and the aperture remains at where it is last set to. And also of course if the box remains attached you can swap as many lenses as you want.

Conurus. Don't you have and eos to e adapter coming? Can you tell me about how it works and maybe show a pic. And when will it ship.

thanks

jetswing
01-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Matt, I've been reading a mid January release date, are you hearing that at all? I need one of these ASAP! :)
http://wiegaertnerfilms.com/news/mtf-eos-sony-f3-fs100-af101-electronic-aperture-adapter-shipping-now/

jetswing
01-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Conurus. Don't you have and eos to e adapter coming? Can you tell me about how it works and maybe show a pic. And when will it ship.

thanks
He had stated the following:
"Development is complete and it is in production. One more thing to note: there are no external box, external control, external display or external power. Your camera is the box, you control... "

Bubble
01-08-2012, 06:39 PM
http://wiegaertnerfilms.com/news/mtf-eos-sony-f3-fs100-af101-electronic-aperture-adapter-shipping-now/

i can't even find the page where you can order it. Are they only ship to those pre-order/beta tester?

jetswing
01-08-2012, 10:15 PM
i can't even find the page where you can order it. Are they only ship to those pre-order/beta tester?
I'm looking for the same info but not much out there. Abel Cine is one of their distributors int he states. My guess is it will show there at some point.

Joost
01-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Why using such a HUGE BIG remote with such a big knob for only control the iris? Isn't is posible without remote but just on adapter? If I hold that remote I only got one hand to operate the rest of the camera.
I think this solution is not so good, rather sell my Canon glass than working with this big brick in my hand wich only enables me to chances iris.

(I edited this post because my first reaction was a little grumpy this morning)

conurus
01-09-2012, 11:40 AM

thanks

Let's discuss the Conurus adapter in some other thread such as
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?271244-Active-Stabilization-Does-it-work-on-non-Emount-lenses
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?271681-Sony-NEX-FS100-with-Canon-L-lenses-Possible

Just don't want to steal the limelight from MTF Services in this thread. Thank you!

Rick Burnett
01-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Well I talked with MTF and had such a great conversation, I ordered directly from them this morning. The FS100 mount comes in tomorrow and they are shipping it to me FedEx one day from the UK to the US.

With shipping, which was pricey, it comes out to $1604 US dollars. While I would have preferred to get my power from the body itself, and I'd have preferred to set the IRIS with the body as well, it is definitely better than my current solution, which is nothing. One thing I feel is good about this system is it is probably going to be very dependable.

I will probably mount the box on the camera somewhere. My first thought was to mount it to my belt and use a long cable extension, then maybe put an inline switch so I could hold the value and not accidentally hit the box with my hand. Given I am an electrical engineer, I will be looking at solutions for optimizing the setup / reducing the footprint.

One thing I wondered with the FS100 is if I could redesign the housing and put it into the place holder for the flash drive. That would be REALLY nice.

All that said, I will have a review soon on working with it!

jetswing
01-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the update, Rick! Glad to know you can actually get one now. How much was the adapter before shipping? Also, do you know how much they charge just for the adapter (minus the box) portion? That's if I want to add on a micro 4/3 adapter.

Looking forward to the review!

Rick Burnett
01-11-2012, 11:09 AM
I think the shipping was 40 pounds. If you watch the video above, the prices are given for the box and the adapter separately an those prices were exactly what I was quoted.

cuervo
01-12-2012, 05:12 PM
I just got my MTS EOS adapter for Canon lenses. The box has 3 mounting 3/8-16 tapped holes which easily adapts to mount to my rail system. The box powers the optical stabilization system on the Canon EOS lens. This is really great!!

jetswing
01-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I just got my MTS EOS adapter for Canon lenses. The box has 3 mounting 3/8-16 tapped holes which easily adapts to mount to my rail system. The box powers the optical stabilization system on the Canon EOS lens. This is really great!!
Did you order from them directly?

cuervo
01-13-2012, 04:13 AM
yeah, I did. I contacted them via email and they responded within the same day.

Rick Burnett
01-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Same as me. MIne should be shipped in a few days.

cuervo
01-13-2012, 12:26 PM
This is a really solid piece of hardware with the 'box' being machined out of a solid billet of aluminum. My only real complaint with the design is that the cable is permanently affixed to the lens adapter and is removeable at the 'box' end. I wish it was the other way around as it's fairly inconvenient to have this dangling cable hanging off the camera.

Rick Burnett
01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
This is a really solid piece of hardware with the 'box' being machined out of a solid billet of aluminum. My only real complaint with the design is that the cable is permanently affixed to the lens adapter and is removeable at the 'box' end. I wish it was the other way around as it's fairly inconvenient to have this dangling cable hanging off the camera.

I was thinking of mounting the box where the handle would normally go. Will the cable reach? I'm also thinking about taking the controls out of the box and mounting them in the cover plate for the Flash Drive that I am not using. :)

cuervo
01-13-2012, 04:43 PM
I was thinking of mounting the box where the handle would normally go. Will the cable reach? I'm also thinking about taking the controls out of the box and mounting them in the cover plate for the Flash Drive that I am not using. :)

yeah, the cable is pretty long, should have no problem.
But, hmmmm, I don't know if you'll be able to mount the guts as you'd like. The boxholds 4 AAA batteries, which take up some room.

Rick Burnett
01-13-2012, 04:50 PM
yeah, the cable is pretty long, should have no problem.
But, hmmmm, I don't know if you'll be able to mount the guts as you'd like. The boxholds 4 AAA batteries, which take up some room.

I'll need to look how they are doing the power, if it's just 6 volts then I might just switch it to a 9v battery with a regulator down to 6v, easy enough to build.

cuervo
01-14-2012, 03:38 AM
Interesting idea, but, it seems rather a bit of work. Great, if you can do it! It might be a lot easier , and just as convenient, to mount the box to the 3/8x16 mounting hole for the handgrip. I've found that handgrip location to be off balance and too uncomfortable to ever use.

Rick Burnett
01-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Interesting idea, but, it seems rather a bit of work. Great, if you can do it! It might be a lot easier , and just as convenient, to mount the box to the 3/8x16 mounting hole for the handgrip. I've found that handgrip location to be off balance and too uncomfortable to ever use.

True. Given I've not touched the box yet, it might be just fine as it is. Just keeping ideas open in my head :)