PDA

View Full Version : How do you do an underwater shot..

leaftors
09-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Similiar to this at 8 seconds : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHo-x8_GhVc

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHo-x8_GhVc)I was thinking of using a large aquarium but I doubt i'll find something big enough to comfortably and safely put the actor in. Are there any other ways I can tackle this?

David W. Jones
09-30-2011, 06:08 AM
Swimming pool & camera in watertight housing.

j1clark@ucsd.edu
09-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Swimming pool & camera in watertight housing.

The surface 'non-motion' strikes me as strange for a pool. I'd conjecture that was some sort of plexiglass deal, perhaps a 'kiddy' pool, 2-3 feet deep, and the camera in a large plexiglass box, like a large fish aquarium, weighted down to sink to the bottom, but tall enough, obviously, to not let water in. Who knows, perhaps it is the same tub, with the actor 'scrunched' towards the drain, to give enough room for the plexiglass box and camera at the other end.

Even if it's a 'big' pool, I still guess 'indoor'... even so, the time to wait for a absolutely smooth, no ripple surface on a big pool is fairly long.

leaftors
10-01-2011, 09:26 PM
The surface 'non-motion' strikes me as strange for a pool. I'd conjecture that was some sort of plexiglass deal, perhaps a 'kiddy' pool, 2-3 feet deep, and the camera in a large plexiglass box, like a large fish aquarium, weighted down to sink to the bottom, but tall enough, obviously, to not let water in. Who knows, perhaps it is the same tub, with the actor 'scrunched' towards the drain, to give enough room for the plexiglass box and camera at the other end.

Even if it's a 'big' pool, I still guess 'indoor'... even so, the time to wait for a absolutely smooth, no ripple surface on a big pool is fairly long.

That's a good idea to shoot in a pool and have an aquarium or case that's tall enough to place into the water. I don't think the water movement will be much of an issue because our actress will wear a bald cap and so we wont see hair.

RyanT
10-02-2011, 02:29 AM
Just use a go pro and stick it in there. I'm sure you could rent one for pretty cheap...

ggrantly
10-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Epic housings are pretty reasonable though limited in function. Panasonic TS3 takes pretty amazing video in and out of the water. Probably better than a go-pro for around the same money.

Grant

BLahey
10-13-2011, 06:36 PM
just throwing this out there, but an old optical effect was to use smoke in a dark room. this was used in "the hunt for red october" and plenty of others. although i have no idea exactly what kind of shot this is...

Edit; didn't see the link and scratch my idea.