PDA

View Full Version : first fs100 video: shooting trap

eheath
09-28-2011, 06:59 PM
When to the trap range with my buddy today, filmed a couple rounds, what do you guys think?

http://vimeo.com/29759007

Shot with sony fs100
Lenses:
tokina 11-16 2.8
nikon 50mm 1.4
sony 18-200 3.5-6.3

minor color correction in post, most shots were 1080p60 conformed to 24fps.

Watch full screen or download please.

EDIT: wanted to add that I used a LCW faderND mkII in every shot.

Chris Johnston
09-29-2011, 07:02 AM
My take FWIW......A lot of the lens/iris choices weren't the best for the content obviously but one thing I noticed was it seemed a little soft. Download the file and it didn't seem so bad, (maybe I'm just over checking it)
Maybe it was the nd thing or the focus/dof thing???

Some hi lights seemed "glowy" (check the number 7 at 59 seconds)

Overall this camera is just impressing me more and more everytime I see footage.......

Budget gets approved Monday, and I'll have 2 fs100s on order by Wed....yea!

3 questions.......Have you used any other vari NDs? Whats the pic profile on this, Default?
and what nle do you use ? I have cs5 and I hear the 60p audio doesn't play well in that nle....... Any workarounds for that?

Ps the rack shot at 50 seconds was awesome!

Postmaster
09-29-2011, 08:33 AM
I have cs5 and I hear the 60p audio doesn't play well in that nle....... Any workarounds for that?

Record in Dolby Digital instead of PCM.
Or you can demux the footy, before you load it in CS5.

Frank

eheath
09-29-2011, 09:10 AM
My take FWIW......A lot of the lens/iris choices weren't the best for the content obviously but one thing I noticed was it seemed a little soft. Download the file and it didn't seem so bad, (maybe I'm just over checking it)
Maybe it was the nd thing or the focus/dof thing???

Some hi lights seemed "glowy" (check the number 7 at 59 seconds)

Overall this camera is just impressing me more and more everytime I see footage.......

Budget gets approved Monday, and I'll have 2 fs100s on order by Wed....yea!

3 questions.......Have you used any other vari NDs? Whats the pic profile on this, Default?
and what nle do you use ? I have cs5 and I hear the 60p audio doesn't play well in that nle....... Any workarounds for that?

Ps the rack shot at 50 seconds was awesome!

Well i really wanted to play with my 11-16 obviously used way too many shots of it but im not worried. I think the softness you're noticing is from my 50mm, i think i was shooting open. i meant to shoot f2.8 but i think my adapter was on "lock" which keeps it locked open...

i don't understand what you mean by "glowy" high lights, could you explain more?

I used a custom PP, i can post it up if you want me to. Ive only use my faderND, it seems to do a pretty good job. And i use FCP, but the 1080p60 w/sound workflow is rough. I have to first encode mts files to prores in clipwrap then take those prores files and again encode them in mpeg to prores again then i can finally put them in cinema tools and conform them to 24fps. It works though.

Chris Johnston
09-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Record in Dolby Digital instead of PCM.
Or you can demux the footy, before you load it in CS5.

Frank

I guess that is an option in the menu? (don't own the cam yet) Much audio quality loss doing that? (I don't imagine so....but?)

Chris Johnston
09-29-2011, 10:06 AM
eheath, by glowy I meant....well if you look at the number 7, (around 59 seconds mark) it almost looks a little like there's some kind of difuser on it, while the bricks seem sharp.

Maybe a little over critical, maybe my eyes are really going bad. just stuck out and got my attention for some reason.

eheath
09-29-2011, 10:16 AM
eheath, by glowy I meant....well if you look at the number 7, (around 59 seconds mark) it almost looks a little like there's some kind of difuser on it, while the bricks seem sharp.

Maybe a little over critical, maybe my eyes are really going bad. just stuck out and got my attention for some reason.

its probably just a combo of my 50 year old 50mm and being overexposed and being at 1.4

Postmaster
09-29-2011, 11:29 AM
I guess that is an option in the menu? (don't own the cam yet) Much audio quality loss doing that? (I don't imagine so....but?)

I would not use it for a production, where sound is super critical and needs to be pushed around a lot in post, but for everything else itīs okay.
I mean, hey Dolby Digital is what you have on BluRay and sometimes even in theaters.
And yeah, you can set that in the audio menu.

Frank

LiamR
09-29-2011, 03:16 PM
I was going to say the exact thing about the glow, my fd 50mm f1.4 does it sometimes when I leave that open in the sunlight, other than that the shots where quite nice!

roblc12
09-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Awsome video bro, I had the same problem with my nikon 50mm 1.4 and mine is brand new. It was wide open at 1.4 and everything had a soft white glow to it. As soon as stopped it down a stop or so the soft glow went away. I was thinking about returning it. Not sure what to do.

eheath
09-29-2011, 04:11 PM
yeah I meant to do 2.8 but I had the adapter on lock so it was 1.4 95% of lenses will look worse wide open then stopped one stop. roblc12, don't return it, its not a defect

maranfilms
09-29-2011, 04:26 PM
you lucky dog. I haven't been to the range in years. It's the one thing I loved doing before I got married and had children, now I just don't have the time. Is that a remington 870? Cool vid.