PDA

View Full Version : No audio with 60p??? (Premiere Pro)

AtticusLake
09-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Just had a bit of a shocker.... I recorded some clips in 60p for the first time (59.94) and .... no audio! The audio meters worked great when recording, but when I loaded the clips into Premiere Pro CS5.5, no audio.

My workflow is to copy the entire SD card to my hard drive, and then import it into PP. When I do this, 60p clips have no audio track, just a lonely video track. I tried shooting a mix of 30p and 60p test clips to confirm, and sure enough, all the 30p clips get audio, the 60p ones don't. My timeline looks like a solid row of clips on the top (video) half, and a row with gaps on the bottom (audio) half.

When I play the clips on the camera, the sound is there, so I guess this isn't a camera bug. I tried using Sony's CMU to import the clips directly off the camera, no difference.

So all the signs point to it being a PP problem -- but PP does audio just fine from my Panasonic TM700, which only shoots 60p!

Help! What the heck is going on here???

Postmaster
09-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Yeah, this is a known problem and discussed in many forums.

You can ether record in AAC (Dolby Digital), instead of PCM, or you need some sort of demuxer program to work around it, till Adobe comes with a solution.

Frank

AtticusLake
09-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Oh well, thanks! (I did search for an answer, evidently not terribly well... :embarasse )

gianx80
10-04-2011, 12:31 AM
i think that the other day premiere pro cs5.5 update patched this problem (for me it works).

AtticusLake
10-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi gianx80,

Sadly it still doesn't work for me, using CS5.5 on WIndows.... I just checked, and I'm fully up to date. Are you using Dolby Digital audio by any chance?

Postmaster
10-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Premiere got just updated to 5.5.1

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/09/adobe-premiere-pro-cs5-5-update-bug-fixes-mac-osx-v10-7-lion.html

Iīm in the middle of a project and donīt want to change horses during the race, but you may give it a try.

Frank

gianx80
10-05-2011, 12:45 AM
You're right ... I tested a clip with dolby audio thinking it has pcm audio ... sorry, my fault

AtticusLake
10-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Premiere got just updated to 5.5.1 ...

Thanks, but I'm there already... actually Windows just deleted everything I own so I'm starting from scratch (luckily I was able to recover my Production Premium license from Adobe's web site....)

Phil1076
10-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks, but I'm there already... actually Windows just deleted everything I own so I'm starting from scratch (luckily I was able to recover my Production Premium license from Adobe's web site....)

Out of curiosity, how did Windows delete everything you own?

AtticusLake
10-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Out of curiosity, how did Windows delete everything you own?

It's a long story... but a minor corruption had me restoring Windows from DVD, but ONLY into the Windows partition .... except it decided to wipe my user partitions (without actually using them for anything) .... then I used Windows backup and discovered that in all the months I've been using it regularly, it hadn't backed up a lot of my most important files.

Macs are starting to look better...

Postmaster
10-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Macs are starting to look better...

Actually they donīt help ether, if you donīt do regular backups.

Frank

AtticusLake
10-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Actually they donīt help ether, if you donīt do regular backups.

Quite, which is why I was doing regular backups, like I said (including one just the day before). The issue was Windows not actually backing up half my files. From what I've seen of Time Machine, it's distinctly less lame than that.

Phil1076
10-05-2011, 07:34 PM
One of the most common problems in IT occurs when there's a corporate disaster and people can't restore their data...they say "but we had a backup". Yes, the backup did complete....yes, the software said it was 100% complete......but did you do a test restore to make sure the tape/whatever backup media is error free and that the restore is successful?

...moment of silence..."uhh...no"

Points learned:

-A backup is nothing without a successful restore.
-I've never used windows backup, but are you sure you specified the files/directories to be backed up?
-I just manually copy my data to an external USB drive....that way I know it's there and I can unplug it to keep it offline.